Options

DCU presents: (thread closed)

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Does James Gunn have a specific casting director or is it just him? Between Bautista and Cena, we're talking Aladdin level diamonds in the rough.

Cena's had an acting breakout coming for awhile now. Bit parts, side characters, little roles that people remembered well after the end of the movie. Hell, even little bits in wrestling hinted that he could carry something with some pathos, like his Firefly Funhouse match a couple WrestleManias ago. It was only a matter of time and someone who could give him the shot.

That and he has no problem playing the fool. He's not obsessed with his "brand".

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Does James Gunn have a specific casting director or is it just him? Between Bautista and Cena, we're talking Aladdin level diamonds in the rough.

Cena's had an acting breakout coming for awhile now. Bit parts, side characters, little roles that people remembered well after the end of the movie. Hell, even little bits in wrestling hinted that he could carry something with some pathos, like his Firefly Funhouse match a couple WrestleManias ago. It was only a matter of time and someone who could give him the shot.

That and he has no problem playing the fool. He's not obsessed with his "brand".

Or to give him even more credit, it's that his brand is being happy to do cool stuff and is a professional about it.

I'm not a wrestling fan, just aware these guys through media blasting. But yeah, Cena has been great in everything I've seen him in. Rock's been a rock; just sort of there.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    To be fair to Dwayne, the first Jumanji film was fun.

To continue to be fair to him, the rest of the cast was the reason it was fun.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Oh wow, apparently Marvel Studios lent them the GoTG 3 crew to film THAT scene

Maybe I’m missing the implications here, but which scene are you referring to? And why is it important that the GotG 3 crew was lent to film it?

the cameos at the end - they apparently filmed parts of it on the GoTG 3 set with the marvel crew, which is kind of cool in a studios helping each other out kind of way.

Ah okay gotcha. That is pretty cool!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Imagine The Rock doing the first episode? The sex scene, the fight with the butterfly.

He can't even bear the idea of coming across worse than Vin Diesel in a fight scene.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Oh wow, apparently Marvel Studios lent them the GoTG 3 crew to film THAT scene

Maybe I’m missing the implications here, but which scene are you referring to? And why is it important that the GotG 3 crew was lent to film it?

the cameos at the end - they apparently filmed parts of it on the GoTG 3 set with the marvel crew, which is kind of cool in a studios helping each other out kind of way.

Ah okay gotcha. That is pretty cool!

Honestly since the Russo's bowed out and Whedon creeped out awhile ago, Gunn is arguably the most proven commodity when it comes to Marvels directors.

And they did a lot to alienate him during the faux outrage debacle and I'm sure Warner's has been more then friendly towards him in an attempt to keep him in their camp.

Gunns maybe in one of the most enviable positions in Hollywood right now

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Imagine The Rock doing the first episode? The sex scene, the fight with the butterfly.

He can't even bear the idea of coming across worse than Vin Diesel in a fight scene.

The whole first episode is Peacemaker getting his ass kicked physically, verbally, and spiritually! It's fantastic! He's constantly belittled, insulted, and beaten up. He faces it with the cocky narcissist attitude we remember from Suicide Squad.

Then the next seven episodes slowly peel back everything Peacemaker thought he was and we see he's just as damaged as everyone else.

Dwayne Johnson would never, ever let himself be that vulnerable.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Supposedly, the initial offer from DC was any character. Just a free pick, up to and including Superman.

Now, I think it's probably true, but I also think the demands and limitations would have been severe past a certain level, so while I totally believe Gunn when he says he saw himself more in the Suicide Squad, there's probably a degree of pragmatism too.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes post Guardians 3 and Peacemaker season 2.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Vigilante’s competence as a murderer is something I wish we knew more about

He’s at least on par with Harcourt, a seasoned black ops agent, and perhaps better. Well at murdering, at least, he’s worse at everything else an agent needs to succeed

I think in comic books the non-powered operatives/supes are generally at the far end of the bell-curve as far as talent goes. A very small percentage of people are savants at certain things, and that usually happens to be cool things like throwing knives and withstanding injuries

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Last episode surprise
    They didnt pull the trigger on the chekov’s scabies helmet. I was waiting all season for someone to try that thing on.

Also shoulda asked supes to get his antigrav helmet back.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Vigilante says flat out that he just needs a nap to heal damage, which is exactly what he did an ep before with the grenade.

Either something is actually going on there or Gunn is just lampshading the ridiculously fast heal rates for TV characters.

Or it was the ASD. How could Atomica and Zombie Penguin lie?

Peacemaker is ostensibly completely human and suffered an incredible amount of damage in the first few episodes with essentially no repercussions.

yeah it's just comic book logic

same way a racist hick can become a super-scientist

the effect of everything is 10x more than in the real world

get a doctorate? you can now do technology magic
    hit the gym every day? you can now shrug off bullet wounds, kill people with a single punch
    just really believe in yourself despite having no training? you can now run in guns blazing and not get immediately merced by trained soldiers

I have seen this come up a few times and it confuses me. White trash can be intellectually very gifted. It is a stigma that has had a significant impact on my life so I will stop here to avoid getting on my soap box. I have also met a lot of scientists that were shockingly racist. Like extremely so. See The Bell Curve as a famous example.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    One missed opportunity
    Vigilante should have been bare assed jumping out the window to round out the symmetry to first appearance of Peacemaker

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Vigilante is definitely a psychopath in addition to ASD. It might be tied into his ASD, but the fact that he has no problem killing kids is a huge sign. Total lack of empathy and remorse.

Yeah this was my thought. People can have two things that shape them. It is frustrating how often ASD and Antisocial Personality Disorder (fancy name for psychopath) get conflated into one thing by tv and movies though.

The fact that he couldn't tell that Peacemaker was upset and thought he was doing face exercises? I want to say that was a trait common to Psychopaths.

I would chalk it up to ASD on that front actually. Psychopaths can get really good at mimicry to try and blend in for better and worse. I do really like how they show Vigilante trying to connect in those moments though. I can't speak to the numbers, but I have worked with people who really do try their best to help others while lacking an important, basic tool for it. Vigilante really wants to be a hero and just can't really put the pieces of the puzzle together by himself to get there.

He could also implicitly trust Peacemaker and that Peacemaker wouldn't lie about that since they're friends.

Hello! ASD who has trouble telling when people are lying to me and gets severely confused by lack of honesty. A lot of my life is just "going with it" because it makes sense to other people but I don't really... grok... doing it. I thought Vigilante might be more upset that Peacemaker was lying to him more than anything else.

Also I have hyperflexibility, too! Squad form up!

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

He’s at least on par with Harcourt, a seasoned black ops agent, and perhaps better. Well at murdering, at least, he’s worse at everything else an agent needs to succeed

I think in comic books the non-powered operatives/supes are generally at the far end of the bell-curve as far as talent goes. A very small percentage of people are savants at certain things, and that usually happens to be cool things like throwing knives and withstanding injuries

Whoa now, let's not say things we can't take back.

While he was a bit lax about it within the group, he definitely maintained personal secrecy where he could.

The idea that covert agents go around advertising themselves as such (ever since Bond), has always been a peeve.

You wanna flash a badge, join the FBI. You wanna be black ops covert, you <redacted because secrecy is key>.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Imagine if the surprise at the end of Peacemaker...
    Had been Grant Gustin's Flash and Melissa Benoist's Supergirl instead.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

While he was a bit lax about it within the group, he definitely maintained personal secrecy where he could.

The idea that covert agents go around advertising themselves as such (ever since Bond), has always been a peeve.

You wanna flash a badge, join the FBI. You wanna be black ops covert, you <redacted because secrecy is key>.

Right but the idea of him handling junior agents and sources, entertaining moral gray areas, sifting misinformation from critical info…

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Right but the idea of him handling junior agents and sources, entertaining moral gray areas, sifting misinformation from critical info…

Oh, he'd be utter shit at almost EVERY other aspect of being an agent. Just wanted to point out murder isn't the ONLY thing he's good at. :)

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    He didn't so much as maintain his secrecy as being able to murder innocents to do so. Not quite sure that's the same.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Shoulda been
    Doom Patrol

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Oh, he'd be utter shit at almost EVERY other aspect of being an agent. Just wanted to point out murder isn't the ONLY thing he's good at. :)
    I bet he's an amazing waiter / busboy.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I'd bet they would be really confused to meet a completely different version of Vigilante than the one they already met. Imagine when they learn about a Thinker that got turn apart by a starfish.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Vigilante says flat out that he just needs a nap to heal damage, which is exactly what he did an ep before with the grenade.

Either something is actually going on there or Gunn is just lampshading the ridiculously fast heal rates for TV characters.

Peacemaker is ostensibly completely human and suffered an incredible amount of damage in the first few episodes with essentially no repercussions.

hit the gym every day? you can now shrug off bullet wounds, kill people with a single punch
    just really believe in yourself despite having no training? you can now run in guns blazing and not get immediately merced by trained soldiers

I have seen this come up a few times and it confuses me. White trash can be intellectually very gifted. It is a stigma that has had a significant impact on my life so I will stop here to avoid getting on my soap box. I have also met a lot of scientists that were shockingly racist. Like extremely so. See The Bell Curve as a famous example.

Eh... remember the dad having his kids fight in a pit of dirt for shits and giggles?

Sure, there's a lot of brilliant and well educated scientists in history who were also incredibly racist. I would disagree with the Bell Curve as an example because the scientific merits were total shit. However, Chris's dad didn't really demonstrate any real degree of sophistication or education beyond a normal person, much less the Hank Pym/Reed Richards manipulation of interdimensional space levels of intelligence required to build his hideout.

The best explanation until Gunn gives an official one is that he relied on connections and took credit for other people's work.

• Options

Eh... remember the dad having his kids fight in a pit of dirt for shits and giggles?

Sure, there's a lot of brilliant and well educated scientists in history who were also incredibly racist. I would disagree with the Bell Curve as an example because the scientific merits were total shit. However, Chris's dad didn't really demonstrate any real degree of sophistication or education beyond a normal person, much less the Hank Pym/Reed Richards manipulation of interdimensional space levels of intelligence required to build his hideout.

The best explanation until Gunn gives an official one is that he relied on connections and took credit for other people's work.

Oh the Bell Curve is complete bullshit that was written by a guy with a PhD. That it is so wrong is my point. Despite his educational accomplishments the dude was still a hard core racist. Having his kids pit fight is also pretty tangential to anything. Him being an abusive asshole of a parent has nothing to do with whether or not he can build tech.

This is all really strange to me. People seem to be really invested in the idea that someone can't possibly be super racist, and super smart. I don't get why on any level. Everything on the show pointed us to Peacemaker's dad being the guy who built all the tech so that is what it is almost certainly. It really is just basic super hero tech bullshit applied to a bad guy. The only difference between White Dragon and Bloodsport in terms of tech believability is the cultural baggage associated with each character.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So I love the fact that Snyder soured the franchise so badly that Shazaam couldn't get Cavill's Superman, but Gunn was able to pull the actors for Flash and Aquaman. As part of a joke scene. For an action comedy series. It's just an extra little bit of "fuck you" to a truly terrible director that adds some extra sweetness to the show.

Anyway, the choice Peacemaker had to make really does suck, but it was also a direct reflection of his own ideals. Before killing Flagg, yeah, Peacemaker probably would've backed the Butterflies. But he's spent the intervening months coming to realize that you can't just slaughter your way to the sort of world he wants, and the route the Butterflies are taking, even with good intentions, means a whole lot of death for a lot of people who probably just don't want to be taken over by bugs. Particularly people Peacemaker likes, because they're going to fight back.

Also, fuck you, Waller. The one ongoing thing that aggravates me about Gunn's Suicide Squad/Peacemaker stuff is that Waller is a straight-up fucking mass-murdering villain. I know it's supposed to be aggravating, but even something as relatively minor as her daughter turning on her was great to see. I'm only hoping that the culmination of one of these Gunn projects is Waller meeting an ending every bit as brutal and trivial as she has inflicted, or threatened to inflict, on so many other people that just happened to annoy her some bad day.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Yeah, Waller is evil to the point of disbelief. Her just whacking her entire staff in SS1 soured me on any kind of redemption or empathy.

In a truly just world, Superman would have snapped her neck ages ago.

• Options
    Oh the Bell Curve is complete bullshit that was written by a guy with a PhD. That it is so wrong is my point. Despite his educational accomplishments the dude was still a hard core racist. Having his kids pit fight is also pretty tangential to anything. Him being an abusive asshole of a parent has nothing to do with whether or not he can build tech.

This is all really strange to me. People seem to be really invested in the idea that someone can't possibly be super racist, and super smart. I don't get why on any level. Everything on the show pointed us to Peacemaker's dad being the guy who built all the tech so that is what it is almost certainly. It really is just basic super hero tech bullshit applied to a bad guy. The only difference between White Dragon and Bloodsport in terms of tech believability is the cultural baggage associated with each character.

I don't think anyone has ever complained about Hydra agents possessing super science, despite being racist. Or the Kree possessing super science despite literal genocide. It's not about "you can't be racist and also good at science," we're discussing the specifics of the situation.

There's a huge difference between having a highly modular gun like Bloodsport does and casually building a quantum unfolding base that's bigger on the inside. Not to mention exoskeletons, forcefields, anti-gravity, etc. Even Tony Stark from the MCU doesn't have a lot of those things.

The technology that White Dragon has access to isn't stuff you can learn from reading a DIY manual, it's technology that would need to be researched and developed. Look at all the prototyping that Tony Stark has to go through in "Iron Man." If you want to experiment with crap like Quantum Unfolding, that would probably take a lot more resources than simply digging an bigger basement from the start.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Is Waller unbelievable?

Allowing foreign citizens to die by the thousands to serve US national interest? Conscripting prisoners into dangerous and unethical programs?
    In the real world that's just some mid level CIA mook gunning for a promotion.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Is Waller unbelievable?

Allowing foreign citizens to die by the thousands to serve US national interest? Conscripting prisoners into dangerous and unethical programs?

It’s the randomly killing of her staff that I find unbelievable. Of course foreigners and prisoners are expendable to a black ops program, but viciously murdering your own highly-trained agents and support staff on a whim or without having a plan is just dumb meathead writing.

The basic premise of Task Force X laid out in SS1 is pretty pants-on-head stupid, as Jenny Nicholson outlined in her video about it. If you need a controlled team to mitigate existential threats, you don’t need clown girl or bullet man or sentient crocodiles and sharks. If the JL goes rogue, you get other unaffiliated supers to step up, like Shazam or Black Adam or Ocean Master or whoever.

“Oh, shit, the Red Lanterns are invading with their space fleet! Quick! Someone round up Calendar Man and Weasel!”

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

I don't think anyone has ever complained about Hydra agents possessing super science, despite being racist. Or the Kree possessing super science despite literal genocide. It's not about "you can't be racist and also good at science," we're discussing the specifics of the situation.

There's a huge difference between having a highly modular gun like Bloodsport does and casually building a quantum unfolding base that's bigger on the inside. Not to mention exoskeletons, forcefields, anti-gravity, etc. Even Tony Stark from the MCU doesn't have a lot of those things.

The technology that White Dragon has access to isn't stuff you can learn from reading a DIY manual, it's technology that would need to be researched and developed. Look at all the prototyping that Tony Stark has to go through in "Iron Man." If you want to experiment with crap like Quantum Unfolding, that would probably take a lot more resources than simply digging an bigger basement from the start.

As opposed to a man flying because of solar power? Or a lightning blast letting someone run faster than... time? I don't know anything really about the character from his DC stuff, but I could think of all kinds of reasons he has access to this stuff. In a world with Cyborg, I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.

• Options

It is literally about how someone claimed racist hicks can't be super scientists. I don't know what discussion you are trying to have, but it does not appear to involve anything I have said even slightly. I suppose you can make an argument the show needed to spend more time developing an irrelevant past super criminal history for White Dragon. I wouldn't really have any interest though. My point is purely about posts saying people with my background being smart is unbelievable.

• Options
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    As opposed to a man flying because of solar power?

He's an alien with alien physiology, he's not a random nobody who developed those abilities just by screwing around.
    Or a lightning blast letting someone run faster than... time?

Barry was chosen by the speed force.
    I don't know anything really about the character from his DC stuff, but I could think of all kinds of reasons he has access to this stuff. In a world with Cyborg, I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.

Cyborg is the way he is because of the Motherbox, it's not the result of technical innovation. And even if it were, Star Labs shouldn't be comparable to some random nobody.

And White Dragon is a nobody. He's not the DCEU equivalent of Doctor Doom. He's probably more comparable than Stilt Man. Case in point: The fact that they didn't try to arrest him with something else after the charges were dropped, even though they all seem to know who he is.

James Gunn has earned enough benefit of the doubt for me to believe it's not a plot hole, and that he has an explanation for it if someone asks.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I don't think Waller executed her staff on a whim, she killed them because there was a gaping wide "This is all my fault" over the shit that was going down and she needed to wax the witnessess. I wouldn't be surprised if she was planning on popping the squad too, afterwards.

Also, Waller works with criminals instead of unaffiliated supers because she can swing getting bombs implanted in the criminals and dangle an easily achievable reward (reduced sentences) in front of them. Control is a huge thing for her.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Is Waller unbelievable?

The key failure phrase here is "in the real world". Trying to be too "in the real world" is the same nonsense that makes the Snyder films big sacks of trash. I'm not watching comic book films and shows for the gritty realism.

And Waller being believable isn't the problem. Waller operating semi-openly as an outright mass murderer in a world of people like Superman is definitely a problem. Is Supes going to do an orbital flyover of her house at night and vaporize her? No. But she deals with villains that have interacted with Superman and at least one of them, or their associates, would definitely reveal that program instantly to Superman upon getting caught. And even if it's some random villain, you know Superman isn't going to just ignore the guy claiming a specific prison in Louisiana is running a murder squad; all Supes has to hear is one of those great Waller conversations about "do what we say or we blow up your brain or throw your underage daughter in murder-prison" and boom, that's done. Or something like with Starro? No way Supes doesn't zip down there as a followup and start asking questions, ending at the people who saved the city (possibly the country) and would be eager to see Waller getting brought down by Superman.

It actually genuinely irritates me that in Gunn's Suicide Squad, the lady who clocks Waller with the golf club stops after she knocks Waller out. That lady knows for a fact that Waller will literally get you killed for insulting her shirt and, at a minimum, letting Waller live will mean getting tossed in a small dark hole forever. Any situation where Waller walks out of that room is worse for that lady, so why the fuck does she clonk Waller and just... stop? It's honestly my biggest gripe of the movie because out of pure self-preservation, the lady should've made absolutely sure Waller was not getting back up, ever.

But I'm guessing Gunn has long-term plans for Waller, and I just hope the ending is poetic.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    And Waller being believable isn't the problem. Waller operating semi-openly as an outright mass murderer in a world of people like Superman is definitely a problem. Is Supes going to do an orbital flyover of her house at night and vaporize her? No. But she deals with villains that have interacted with Superman and at least one of them, or their associates, would definitely reveal that program instantly to Superman upon getting caught. And even if it's some random villain, you know Superman isn't going to just ignore the guy claiming a specific prison in Louisiana is running a murder squad; all Supes has to hear is one of those great Waller conversations about "do what we say or we blow up your brain or throw your underage daughter in murder-prison" and boom, that's done. Or something like with Starro? No way Supes doesn't zip down there as a followup and start asking questions, ending at the people who saved the city (possibly the country) and would be eager to see Waller getting brought down by Superman.

You're forgetting that we're talking about Snyderverse Superman.
    It actually genuinely irritates me that in Gunn's Suicide Squad, the lady who clocks Waller with the golf club stops after she knocks Waller out. That lady knows for a fact that Waller will literally get you killed for insulting her shirt and, at a minimum, letting Waller live will mean getting tossed in a small dark hole forever. Any situation where Waller walks out of that room is worse for that lady, so why the fuck does she clonk Waller and just... stop? It's honestly my biggest gripe of the movie because out of pure self-preservation, the lady should've made absolutely sure Waller was not getting back up, ever.

You can rationalize this simply by Waller acknowledging that she needs people who can keep her in check because she's terrified of herself without them.

The same reason Superman gives Batman a kryptonite ring in the comic books.

• Options
    Except one of the first things we see with Peacemaker is the lady that clubbed Waller getting slammed onto a desk and handcuffed. Waller was into a full-on raging psychotic tantrum because "her" team was going to try to save the lives of millions of people after managing to complete their mission anyway. That lady is toast now, and they probably couldn't even have prosecute her if she'd killed Waller because what are they going to hit her with? Obstructing a psychopath from murdering several people trying to prevent the murder of millions on a secret murder mission that murdered several other people as decoys, all run by Waller?

This Waller doesn't give two fucks about anyone except who can she control and, apparently, her daughter. There's not even a hint of actual justification or nobility in this Waller's actions, you dance to her tune or she will explode your brain. And sometimes dancing to the tune gets you the same result anyway. No fucking way is she going to put any kind of "check" on herself that might interfere with her ability to throw a total shit-fit and blow people's heads off to be in control again.

Like I said, I'm just hoping Gunn has plans for Waller. Big, explodey, fiery, poetic plans. Or something like her ending up as a permanent resident inside her own hell-prison.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

Because Waller is her cousin.

edit: cousin, not aunt

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    As opposed to a man flying because of solar power?

He's an alien with alien physiology, he's not a random nobody who developed those abilities just by screwing around.
    Or a lightning blast letting someone run faster than... time?

Barry was chosen by the speed force.
    I don't know anything really about the character from his DC stuff, but I could think of all kinds of reasons he has access to this stuff. In a world with Cyborg, I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.

Cyborg is the way he is because of the Motherbox, it's not the result of technical innovation. And even if it were, Star Labs shouldn't be comparable to some random nobody.

And White Dragon is a nobody. He's not the DCEU equivalent of Doctor Doom. He's probably more comparable than Stilt Man. Case in point: The fact that they didn't try to arrest him with something else after the charges were dropped, even though they all seem to know who he is.

James Gunn has earned enough benefit of the doubt for me to believe it's not a plot hole, and that he has an explanation for it if someone asks.

It's not a 'plot hole'. He's a comic book villain. There, done. I sincerely hope it never gets explained; it doesn't matter.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

It is literally about how someone claimed racist hicks can't be super scientists. I don't know what discussion you are trying to have, but it does not appear to involve anything I have said even slightly. I suppose you can make an argument the show needed to spend more time developing an irrelevant past super criminal history for White Dragon. I wouldn't really have any interest though. My point is purely about posts saying people with my background being smart is unbelievable.

I think people are reacting to the way he chooses to live. He's not just smart, he's educated. It's applied brilliance. He still runs with prison gangs and local clan members, wore a mullet in his prime and ran dirt hole fight club. Poor people shit. Most educated people, racist or not, run from the trappings of poverty.

I think it strikes viewers as off because it's an atypical choice. Of course racists can be smart. The ones that make something of themselves usually present themselves differently.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The White Dragon having a superscience dimensional vault in the closet of his generic suburban home is a great gag.

...did I just solve the argument?

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Peacemakers dad being a magic tech guy never stood out to me in any way. There's people out there with super powers and there's people who can do tech magic.

Also, being sick of superheroes and such, I can't believe how much I enjoyed suicide squad and how great peacemaker was.