Options

DCU presents: (thread closed)

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022

But I'm guessing Gunn has long-term plans for Waller, and I just hope the ending is poetic.

I need to know if her tea cups are safe in this universe.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I’ve never seen SS1 and im not counting it as canon because it’s supposed to be terrible

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I couldn't care any less why the White Dragon has an interdimensional portal in his shitty house. It's a fantastic gag and the imagery looks great, especially when the Dragon looks villainous surrounded by a bunch of neo Nazis in pillowcases.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I’ve never seen SS1 and im not counting it as canon because it’s supposed to be terrible

It was very good for DC at the time!

Oh, wow, that looks really dumb after James Gunn rolled around, huh?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It wasn’t as relentlessly miserable as grimdark Superman action, but the Snyder movies were generally better overall. Suicide Squad was just a dumb, stupid, lazy, mess.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Potential spoilers, but full season blooper reel (not from after credits for the most part).

https://youtu.be/qXji_udtNyI

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »

"...Freddy Stroma, James Gunn.."
    "Those last two aren't even things!"

I'm sad they didn't have focus on Vigilante for that.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    So apparently a JL scene featuring affleckBatman was filmed for the finale (with a double wearing the suit) but it was cut for reasons unknown. There’s photos of the guy in the fitting room wearing the suit, so it appears legit.

I’m sure it has something to do with Warners perennial reluctance to let anyone do anything with Batman without a year’s worth of committee meetings first.

• Options
    “. . . any one of the Beatles! Pete Best!” had me in tears 😂

That whole scene an all-time classic bit of comedy improv, jesus

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Is there a bad time to Rock?

I’m still a fan of Vigilante

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    So apparently a JL scene featuring affleckBatman was filmed for the finale (with a double wearing the suit) but it was cut for reasons unknown. There’s photos of the guy in the fitting room wearing the suit, so it appears legit.

I’m sure it has something to do with Warners perennial reluctance to let anyone do anything with Batman without a year’s worth of committee meetings first.

I have no idea how they managed to fuck up batman so badly. It boggles the mind.

They literally took every wrong lesson about the Nolanverse movies, then took every wrong lesson about building a cinematic universe, and then turned it into a college course on running a franchise into the ground.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    There’s also the plant lady! She’s mad about global warming! And Two-Face! Driven mad by the absurdities of the justice system! And Harley Quinn! A doctor who went crazy trying to help mentally-ill people in a healthcare system that seems designed to fail the most needy! And— uh . . . hang on, are these supposed to be the bad guys? And we’re rooting for the violent trust-fund baby to punch them? Are . . are we the baddies?

At least there’s the crocodile guy, he’s gotta be a total heel, right? Beat that guy up, for sure. What’s that? He was an abused child and sold into slavery? I thought that was Bane’s origin story? Oh, both of them? Wow. Damn. Next thing you’ll tell me Dr. Freeze is actually a good guy wronged by the system. They killed his fucking wife?? Christ. Okay. Okay.

Just

Just gimme a minute. I gotta reflect.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

It's the worst. It's so bad that it actually curves back around to educational on just What. Not. To. Do. When it comes to movie making.

And so many of it's choices are own goals too & you can fix the entire "fight Superman" idea by having Waller stop outside and remark on how dumb the generals were to buy that argument. Starting in media res/during an op could have let you establish all the needed info and ground rules, ontop of not being boring as piss. Actually, I take that back. Pissing is less boring than the keys introduce every character 3 fucking times with the most hackneyed song choices possible they pulled.

So on so forth.

It's really bad, and deserves to be roundly mocked every time it comes up

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

It's the worst. It's so bad that it actually curves back around to educational on just What. Not. To. Do. When it comes to movie making.

And so many of it's choices are own goals too & you can fix the entire "fight Superman" idea by having Waller stop outside and remark on how dumb the generals were to buy that argument. Starting in media res/during an op could have let you establish all the needed info and ground rules, ontop of not being boring as piss. Actually, I take that back. Pissing is less boring than the keys introduce every character 3 fucking times with the most hackneyed song choices possible they pulled.

So on so forth.

Also they could have done the entire mission with just Diablo. He was so OP they didn’t need anything else. Just Flagg getting Diablo into position and telling him to go at it. Movie’s over in 10 minutes.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

So on so forth.

An idea I was kicking around would have been for one of the people to ask about how to deal with Superman, and her saying that was above his paygrade, and then talk about the Squad as a completely deniable black ops team.

As for the mission, it would have been much lower stakes. their mission would have been to extract someone codenamed ragdoll. Waller would then be betrayed over a mcguffin and the twist would be the Squad was extracting Waller, because she saw the betrayal coming, and the only people she could trust that she knew the traitors wouldn't know or care about would be the squad (a brief standoff with Flagg over where his loyalties lie) and so on.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite exchange of the entire series, or at least one of them, was
    him jumping on the old man's ass about the coterie of supervillains, just all "I'm fighting a psychotic clown who fucking murders people, I'm gonna stick him in jail over and over!" Then an episode later he's telling kids how he used two rocket launchers on fucking Kite Man

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Interesting that Stroma needed to stay in Vigilante accent in the gag reel, it's gotta be tough to try to speak constantly in an accent that is by definition unnatural to you

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Peacemaker.

That said, I need help. The guy who plays the male detective is a That Guy for me. He's in something I recognize him rfom but I'e scoured his IMDB and Wikipedia page and can't figure it out. In my mind he's playing a goofy frat guy or something.

Please help.

Peacemaker is good.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote: »
    I enjoyed Peacemaker.

That said, I need help. The guy who plays the male detective is a That Guy for me. He's in something I recognize him rfom but I'e scoured his IMDB and Wikipedia page and can't figure it out. In my mind he's playing a goofy frat guy or something.

Please help.

Peacemaker is good.

He's got more than 250 credits over 30 years. Probably easier to ask what shows he hasn't been in.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I enjoyed Peacemaker.

Please help.

Peacemaker is good.

Scary Movie?

Actually, Dead Man on Campus also fits the bill.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Those seem most likely except I don’t think I’ve ever seen either.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Weird. I feel like around that time he was getting cast in that role quite a bit. So maybe just general osmosis from bits and pieces of stuff.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Betty's dad on Riverdale

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Betty's dad on Riverdale

Nope definitely not it.
    Weird. I feel like around that time he was getting cast in that role quite a bit. So maybe just general osmosis from bits and pieces of stuff.

Yeah. There’s a specific scene vaguely in my head and I’d like to figure it out but I’m unlikely candidates.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The place I remembered him from was definitely Scary Movie, he was the angry jock character.

• Options
    I enjoyed Peacemaker.

Please help.

Peacemaker is good.

He's the psycho roommate that Tom Everett Scott and Mark Paul Gosselar manipulate to try and commit suicide so they get straight As in college.

You're thinking of Dead Man on Campus.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Betty's dad on Riverdale

Nope definitely not it.

Yeah. There’s a specific scene vaguely in my head and I’d like to figure it out but I’m unlikely candidates.
    He was in a few episodes of charmed.

And as a police officer, sheriff or detective in a shit load of horror movies.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    He was the cop that died in Freddy Vs. Jason

• Options
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Peacemaker.

Please help.

Peacemaker is good.

He's the psycho roommate that Tom Everett Scott and Mark Paul Gosselar manipulate to try and commit suicide so they get straight As in college.

I can assure you that nobody thinks of Dead Man on Campus

Even Lochlyn Munro would probably forget that if he was trying to help Six out

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Peacemaker.

Perhaps you are thinking of A Night At The Roxbury???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKcWzfIITy4

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Interesting that Stroma needed to stay in Vigilante accent in the gag reel, it's gotta be tough to try to speak constantly in an accent that is by definition unnatural to you
    Apparently, Stroma stayed in his American accent so much that John Cena didn't know that Stroma was British until after they wrapped.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I enjoyed Peacemaker.

Please help.

Peacemaker is good.

Dead Man on Campus was one of those movies that Comedy Central would run multiple times a day in ye olde ln times before streaming existed. I've probably seen it half a dozen times in bits and pieces l.

• Options
    I don't know how to handle this. My guilty pleasure has always been 80's cheese rock. The end credits song from Peacemake is like... the apotheosis of it.

It's fucking awesome and not ironically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QnPtkbRoh8

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I don't know how to handle this. My guilty pleasure has always been 80's cheese rock. The end credits song from Peacemake is like... the apotheosis of it.

It's fucking awesome and not ironically

Almost perfect. It needs a similar to Opening Credits choreography by principal cast, and it'd be the best thing going.

The only thing I have a question about for the opening credits, is was it Freddy Stroma under the the Vigilante outfit or not. It's not like he needed to be there, as the entire sequence is him fully masked up. But there's a commitment to doing that while wearing the full suit, which often aren't built with full mobility or perception in mind. Everyone else is in street clothes, except Cena wearing a helmet, and Judomaster's cameo at the end.

While trying to find a definitive answer (I did not), I stumbled on two bits of information.

First, there's a reason there was a clip earlier in the thread of Alan Tudyk doing some of the dance sequences. That's because Charissa Barton (the choreographer) is his wife, and she wanted to have someone with no real aptitude for dance test out things.

Second, was this.

"No superhero story is complete without a dance sequence. Check out the behind-the-scenes of the #Peacemaker title sequence."

Delves a little into how and why things were done the way they are.

MorganV on
  • Options
    That's an almost frighteningly talented choreographer

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Since finishing Peacemaker, I decided to go back and watch The Suicide Squad again for the first time since it released. I have to say, with the hindsight of the series now, Peacemaker definitely seems like a more sympathetic character than how I originally saw him. There were hints of him being sympathetic to his team in the movie and wanting to fit in, but he just didn’t quite have the right crew yet. I also picked up more on how conflicted he seemed near the end in the decisions he made.

I don’t know, TSS was already a great movie, but I guess I was surprised how much better it actually became in context with the show.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Peacemaker.

Please help.

Peacemaker is good.

Dead Man on Campus was one of those movies that Comedy Central would run multiple times a day in ye olde ln times before streaming existed. I've probably seen it half a dozen times in bits and pieces l.

I rented it with my first girlfriend - possibly the first film we rented

Not sure why we picked that

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]