As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Anyone have opinions on Front Mission and Live-A-Live? They both looked like they'd be up my alley, but I'm a lot more cautious about my game purchases these days.

What do they play like? Is Live Alive more Octopath or Chrono Trigger, or something unique? What game would Front Mission compare to?

SO MANY STRATEGY GAMES! It's so heavenly!

I much enjoy Front Mission. If they make a new release I would grab it in a heartbeat. In fact when the mechs first showed up I was like FRONT MISSION?!?!?! and then saw remake and cooled a bit.

But if you want some turn based strategy RPG mech action they are pretty damn good.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I paid for the Animal Crossing DLC rather than buy the expansion, and I kind of want the Mario Kart courses but now it seems like I’m better off buying the expansion, but since I already paid for the Animal Crossing DLC it feels like I wasted my money you know? Or I could just buy the Mario Kart DLC but then what if something else comes along that’s included in the expansion.

Taya on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The Switch really has become is ultimate RPG machine. Probably the best RPG machine in history. It's crazy how many RPGs from across gaming history can all be played on the Switch now.

You know what though, I'll say as far as I'm concerned the DS may have had more unique RPGs which were not just ports (though there were also a lot of ports). Just a deluge of weird stuff trapped on that system that we're unlikely to see again, both good and bad. Radiant Historia, Contact, Infinite Space, Suikoden Tierkreis, Rondo of Swords, Deep Labyrinth, The Dark Spire, Golden Sun Dark Dawn, FF Four Heroes of Light, The Etrian Odyssey series...

Yep, the DS was a unique flower where most of its games will always be trapped on the platform. I didn't care for most of the RPGs on the system, but they were definitely a unique bunch.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If you want/need to know more about Live A Live, this is a plot point that you start to notice once you play your second story and gets reinforced the more you play. So it's not a breaking spoiler or THE spoiler or anything ,but it is still somewhat significant and a warning if you wanna go in completely fresh.

Last chance warning.
    You eventually start to realize there is some sort of thread/theme going through each story, even though they are otherwise for the most part completely unrelated to one another. And it's that all the stories peculiarly have a character with the same naming scheme. One is named Ode Wang Lee. One is O. Dio. Odie Oldbright. The computer in the future story is 0D-10. And at this point you're probably wondering "Is this going somewhere? Are they going to do something with this?". And to hopefully avoid any more spoilers, the only answer is... yes.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    If you want/need to know more about Live A Live, this is a plot point that you start to notice once you play your second story and gets reinforced the more you play. So it's not a breaking spoiler or THE spoiler or anything ,but it is still somewhat significant and a warning if you wanna go in completely fresh.

Last chance warning.
    You eventually start to realize there is some sort of thread/theme going through each story, even though they are otherwise for the most part completely unrelated to one another. And it's that all the stories peculiarly have a character with the same naming scheme. One is named Ode Wang Lee. One is O. Dio. Odie Oldbright. The computer in the future story is 0D-10. And at this point you're probably wondering "Is this going somewhere? Are they going to do something with this?". And to hopefully avoid any more spoilers, the only answer is... yes.

And then there's Watanabe.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    That was a really great Direct. They still cut me deep with the lack of mainline Fire Emblem but still, this was cool :3

Thoughts on stuff:
    - FE Warriors 2 is neat, though I had a hard time enjoying the first one. I've said it elsewhere but a lot of the units felt very same-y to me which really hurt my enjoyment over stuff like Hyrule Warriors where everyone is super different. I'm hoping this one fixes that.
    - Advanced Wars looking amazing. Fun fact - RubberRoss confirmed during his reaction that Arin Hanson is voicing Max.
    - Kirby still looking awesome. The car thing is super weird but ok. The Waddle Dee village is amazing and the kind of shit I love in games. Plus upgrading copy abilities sounds cool.
    - Mario Strikers a super awesome announcement, tho not particularly one for me. Just no real interest in the sports stuff, even Mario sports. But that thing has been a long time coming so I'm still pretty happy for everyone else :3 Same deal with Nintendo Switch Sports. I barely touched Wii Sports - just not a ton of interest. Neat that they're adding stuff as free DLC tho. Wonder if they'll put like, boxing back in or something later on.
    - Live A Live looks amazing. Never heard of the game but as I watched the trailer a few times while watching some Direct reactions I was more and more hooked on the idea of it. I'll definitely be picking it up. It also releases on my birthday so I think that is a sign it must be good :3
    - Similarly really to give Chrono Cross another chance. Always loved the gameplay of that but man I hated the story and the bazillion characters that never got developed because there were too many to develop and thus all became cardboard (most just said the exact same thing to situations with an accent filter attached). Still, like I said, I always liked the actual gameplay of that game and it's been, god, like 20 years since I played it?
    - Even though I have no interest at all, holy shit I have to comment on MLB The Show... wtf was that shit? Why does it look like a PS2 game running at 20fps? I can't believe they actually gave that garbage as much time as they did. God it looked so bad. Like, I'm not typically one to care about graphics but holy crap even I can't excuse that. (the Force Unleashed also looked pretty bad.. maybe I'm thinking that game isn't as old as it actually is? Or did they do like a remake of it with prettier graphics at one point? Still not as bad as MLB tho :P)
    - Earthbound on Switch Online - god they baited me so hard with this shit. I knew exactly what franchise they were gonna mention with that caption and they actually fooled me into thinking this was a Mother 3 announcement. Even after it wasn't, the tone kind of sounded like it was heading that way, like "Here's the first two games and OH YEAH Mother 3 for the first time!" Still wanna play Earthbound tho. I never beat it. Tried to on the Wii U but got busy and never finished. So this is another shot at it.
    - Mario Kart 8 DLC. Man I am so torn on this. I played the HELL out of Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, like, so much so that I never felt the need to get the Switch version. Now they're releasing 48 friggin new tracks for FREE (because I pay for expansion pass). But I don't own the base game T_T I think this is gonna force me to purchase it, but man it's hard to decide. I'm at least waiting on a sale. I also had the epiphany watching the Direct a few times that this DLC is thanks to Mario Kart Tour. They had to update all these stages for that game and that work probably translated over to letting them bring them into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. As much as I hate the heck out of that game with its pretty gross gacha elements (from someone who does other gacha mind you too, this was particularly bad), at least it contributed something good? Oh also, yeah we aren't getting Mario Kart 9 anytime this decade.
    - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - damn this tricked me at first into thinking it was a Xenoblade Chronicles X sequel. It kinda looked like it. I think I was thrown off on them going back to the XC1 style of character design over the somewhat more "anime" XC2 designs. I still need to beat XC2 tho :/ I barely got far into it. *sigh* it's gonna take forever...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Hopefully they build on the Fire Emblem Warriors games using what they've learned since the last one. I liked it but never finished it. Hyrule Warriors is still my favorite Warriors game of all time.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, Fire Emblem Warriors had too many units that were basically identical. If they fix that, then it gets more interesting, because weapon triangle and character swapping to handle that was a good idea.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hopefully they build on the Fire Emblem Warriors games using what they've learned since the last one. I liked it but never finished it. Hyrule Warriors is still my favorite Warriors game of all time.

Yeah, they've made a lot of advancements since then and certainly I've seen ideas introduced in future games that weren't in the original Hyrule Warriors (for Wii U) show up again in FE Warriors and Age of Calamity (ex: ordering AI characters to places on the map, swapping between characters, etc). So there should definitely be stuff that they learned since FE Warriors to carry forward here. I want to say, at least from the trailer, it looked like the movesets for each character was more interesting? (or more flashy perhaps, along the lines of Hyrule Warriors moves) So I am hopeful.

I'll also be super curious how many characters that game has, since you could potentially do the entire student cast of Three Houses which is a LOT of characters. I dunno if they would, but some musou games have a ton so who knows...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about no announcement of a new Fire Emblem, as it is guaranteed they are working on one. That is now one of Nintendo's premier franchises.

Nate has mentioned that two Fire Emblems are currently being worked on, a new game in the franchise and a remake. So you should have plenty of Fire Emblem to enjoy in the near future. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Top 5 courses I want to see :

5) koopa beach snes
    4) delfino plaza ds
    3) rainbow road 3ds
    2)Airship fortress ds
    1) waluigi pinball

Wushu loop and maka wahu would also be welcome

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Coconut Mall I loved on the Wii, it was one of my favorite courses, so I'm super happy that it's part of the first pack. :D

Also, I know that there were many disappointed that Mario Kart 9 wasn't announced, but I'm happy with how it worked. 25 bucks for an entire games worth of courses is a killer deal.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I paid for the Animal Crossing DLC rather than buy the expansion, and I kind of want the Mario Kart courses but now it seems like I’m better off buying the expansion, but since I already paid for the Animal Crossing DLC it feels like I wasted my money you know? Or I could just buy the Mario Kart DLC but then what if something else comes along that’s included in the expansion.

It does feel like a misstep on their part. If they had billed the expansion as "Animal Crossing DLC included now, more DLC for other games to be added later" I think it would have been better. And hell, maybe they even did say that, I can't tell; I do know there was lots of speculation that was going to be the case. But I suppose you'd then get a deluge of "what other games are going to be added, I wont buy it til I know", that sort of thing.

The smart thing in retrospect would have been to just buy the expansion, but I mean how many times have we been burned by Nintendo saying this is the next new thing then doing almost nothing with it

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Bare minimum guaranteed improvement with FE Warriors 2: your cast won't be majority Swords on the weapon triangle since all the Three Houses lords have different weapons. :)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I kind of figured they'd include other DLC in the Expansion Pack price but completely forgot about it.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    There is at least one big difference between the MK8 DLC and a new game: brand new courses. A new MK9 would have at least 16-24 new courses.

Of course I recognize that the porting process from old games gives us courses that might as well be all-new for all the work it takes, plus adding in new antigrav track elements and flying sections.

My #1 track requests are Maple Treeway, and Sunset Wilds solely for its music and western vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8deRMU4ME

Also even though they didn't announce it, I hope they surprise introduce new characters, like Samus and a Metroid track.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    MK8's original DLC project did include a fair number of new tracks, including stuff based on Excitebike, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and F-Zero.

The language for this MK8 Deluxe DLC project seems to be focused wholly on returning tracks, though.

On the other hand, "returning tracks" in this case includes stuff from the arcade and mobile games, apparently, which is as good as wholly new tracks for me.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The Direct was oddly tactical-centric (Front Mission, Advance Wars, Triangle Strategy) and sports-centric (Mario Futebol, MLB The Show, Switch Sports). Just the way things shake out sometimes I suppose.

It even opened with a spin-off from a tactics game! That's gotta count for half a point.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Anyone have opinions on Front Mission and Live-A-Live? They both looked like they'd be up my alley, but I'm a lot more cautious about my game purchases these days.

What do they play like? Is Live Alive more Octopath or Chrono Trigger, or something unique? What game would Front Mission compare to?

I've played a few of the Front Mission games once each, I can't remember which one's which, and I didn't watch the Direct so I don't know what they showed.

Generally, they're turn based, Mechs on a grid strategy game. Key things are customizing your Mechs, you can have heavy parts with a lot of HP, or light parts with less HP but that gives you more weight to devote to weapons. Leg parts could give you a high base move distance, or they could be less move distance but let you fly, etc. On a very high level you can compare it to something like Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre.

A key bit of strategy is that each part of the mech can break in combat from damage, so you'll try to break the opponent's weapon arm before it gets to attack, if your legs get broken you won't be able to move where you need to go in a timely fashion, etc.

Usually your pilots have affinity for different skills, so you might put your guy with crazy melee skills in a mech with melee weapons (obv) and high move speed, but the girl with cool sniper abilities maybe gets a sniper mech with some support gear since she doesn't need move speed or armor.

Fry on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

I've played a few of the Front Mission games once each, I can't remember which one's which, and I didn't watch the Direct so I don't know what they showed.

Generally, they're turn based, Mechs on a grid strategy game. Key things are customizing your Mechs, you can have heavy parts with a lot of HP, or light parts with less HP but that gives you more weight to devote to weapons. Leg parts could give you a high base move distance, or they could be less move distance but let you fly, etc. On a very high level you can compare it to something like Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre.

A key bit of strategy is that each part of the mech can break in combat from damage, so you'll try to break the opponent's weapon arm before it gets to attack, if your legs get broken you won't be able to move where you need to go in a timely fashion, etc.

Usually your pilots have affinity for different skills, so you might put your guy with crazy melee skills in a mech with melee weapons (obv) and high move speed, but the girl with cool sniper abilities maybe gets a sniper mech with some support gear since she doesn't need move speed or armor.

The thing that I remember always annoying me is that a lot of weapons did a bunch of damage, but distributed fairly randomly. Would your submachine gun instantly kill them by all attacking the core? Or would 100% of the shots go to the useless unarmed right arm? Cuts both ways too. Enemy might insta-kill you or instantly blow off your weapon, evenly distribute damage, or all hit the armored bit. Who knows!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    BTW I recognized XBC3 as being a Xenoblade game as soon as the dude started speaking. That brit accent was the clue.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    BTW I recognized XBC3 as being a Xenoblade game as soon as the dude started speaking. That brit accent was the clue.

Yeah. At this point they're just leaning into it. But it does make for a recognizable style. And you get some really fun accents like Nia.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

I still don't think the value proposition is very good. Something to keep in mind, the Mario Kart tracks will take 2 years to release. So you'll have to maintain the $30 increased price of the sub for that amount of time. And if you decide they haven't been adding adequate content to that sub and cancel it, there go the tracks. Versus... paying $25 (less than the one year price) and getting to keep them.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Kupi wrote: »
    Bare minimum guaranteed improvement with FE Warriors 2: your cast won't be majority Swords on the weapon triangle since all the Three Houses lords have different weapons. :)

To this day it baffles me they justified character selection around not wanting too many sword characters, and then made both their OC lords sword users...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    MK8's original DLC project did include a fair number of new tracks, including stuff based on Excitebike, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and F-Zero.

The language for this MK8 Deluxe DLC project seems to be focused wholly on returning tracks, though.

On the other hand, "returning tracks" in this case includes stuff from the arcade and mobile games, apparently, which is as good as wholly new tracks for me.

Unless I missed something, they're not doing the arcade games:

e61e1ca2bdd9d6c0017d9d5486d84894.jpg

...which isn't surprising since Namco made those and getting them might be a little tricky.

Still, translating the flat SNES and GBA courses into 3D courses will likely have them feeling brand-new, plus I'm sure most of this forum skipped the mobile game. So that's something.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ah, ok. I haven't played either the mobile or arcade games, so I wasn't sure which one it was.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Maybe this time I’ll play Earthbound long enough to reach the second town. Being portable will help.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »

The thing that I remember always annoying me is that a lot of weapons did a bunch of damage, but distributed fairly randomly. Would your submachine gun instantly kill them by all attacking the core? Or would 100% of the shots go to the useless unarmed right arm? Cuts both ways too. Enemy might insta-kill you or instantly blow off your weapon, evenly distribute damage, or all hit the armored bit. Who knows!

Coming from a BattleTech background, I'm just used to that being part of the genre. Attack with your single big hits first to create a hole, then hit it with the scatter weapons to either finish what the big hit started, or all go to some other location, etc.

There's definitely some pain in the randomness, to be sure. You still get the equivalent of missing your 95% shot in XCOM.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Front Mission sounds like exactly the game I'd enjoy, but somehow missed all my life. I'm looking forward to trying it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Maybe this time I’ll play Earthbound long enough to reach the second town. Being portable will help.

One thing I've always enjoyed about Earthbound is that you actually spend a decent amount of time in each town before moving on. You kind of get to know them really well. Especially for the first three or four towns. After that the game starts moving forward at a much more brisk pace.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I saw some twitter post where someone brought up they weren't adding tracks from Mario Kart Arcade and Home Circuit, to which people were like, duh, it's kind of impossible to add tracks from Home Circuit. But now I legit just want them to do a rando "living room" track and pretend it's from Home Circuit. I don't know why, that just seems amusing to me :P (I think the Ribbon Road or whatever is kinda this, but a bedroom)

There was also a person trying to say Mario Kart Tour was a mainline Mario Kart game cuz it was on the list of games getting tracks pulled from them which is just laughable. Hahaha (god that game was just awful.. Mario Kart and touch controls should never mix)

Edit: Also:

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    After both Earthbound games dropped, I went to the NSO apps to arrange everything and they were both gone from my Switch.

It only took a minute to download them again, it was just odd.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to go so far as to say they need to add more characters to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (though I'm all for that), but at the very least, give us some of those alternate costumes from Tour...

ojcxeuc8xd14.jpeg

On a separate note, Nintendo uploaded a trailer for the Earthbound games that's different from what was shown in the Direct:

https://youtu.be/KXQqhRETBeE

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Now that Earthbound and Mother/Earthbound Beginnings are on the switch we might actually see Mother 3 if/when they put GBA games on the switch online service.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Looking at the Mario Strikers trailer again, I'm wondering how big the character roster's going to be, especially considering its now got teams of four main characters. I feel there needs to be a big roster, lest people get bored of facing the same similar teams over and over. I'm really hoping we get a big roster. The team aspect creates a prime opportunity to put in guys like the Koopalings, more Kongs like Diddy, Dixie and Funky, and plenty of Bowser's minions.

• Options
    I'm not going to go so far as to say they need to add more characters to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (though I'm all for that), but at the very least, give us some of those alternate costumes from Tour...

ojcxeuc8xd14.jpeg

Yes definitely, they really need to add the new Tour characters (and some of the new karts) at some point. I can't imagine they would be that hard to port over.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Yes definitely, they really need to add the new Tour characters (and some of the new karts) at some point. I can't imagine they would be that hard to port over.

I'm guessing the models don't match exactly so they probably would be annoying. (if I'm wrong about that and Tour uses MK8 models, nm :P Although there are potential graphic fidelity issues which I've already seen people bring up about the new DLC courses not looking as good as the base courses)

I really wish they would add more characters though. Like, it's still so friggin weird to me they never added Pauline to MK8 DX after Odyssey came out. I've also always been supportive of adding in E. Gadd as a racer :P Hell, put Nabbit in there too.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    New trailer for TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, with playable Master Splinter.
    https://youtu.be/9R0yCBJ5Qas

• Options
    C'mon, now they are just teasing me! Give me Casey Jones! You know he's playable, stop dragging his reveal out!

In that picture, there is an obvious gap between Splinter and Mikey that we know is where Casey is going to be. :mad:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    C'mon, now they are just teasing me! Give me Casey Jones! You know he's playable, stop dragging his reveal out!

In that picture, there is an obvious gap between Splinter and Mikey that we know is where Casey is going to be. :mad:

They will end up giving you Jason instead :P