As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COVID-19] -20, -21, -22, -23...

19495969798100»

• Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular
    Think I'm just gonna start getting a shot every 6 months. I can probably get Walgreens to give me another one if I pay cash up front. That's my plan at least.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Well, here we are, on page 100.
    Should we bother with another thread? 😞

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Well, here we are again on page 100.

Posting has slowed on this thread but, much like COVID itself, it hasn't gone away, and probably won't any time soon, so sadly probably need a new thread IMHO, at least until such time that the fascists finish their takeover and all threads converge in the final apocalypse...

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    New Article from Scientific American detailing brain damage caused by COVID infection. It's got links out to a number of interesting studies.
    Studies show that even when the virus is mild and exclusively confined to the lungs, it can still provoke inflammation in the brain and impair brain cells’ ability to regenerate.
    Autopsy studies of people who had severe COVID-19 but died months later from other causes showed that the virus was still present in brain tissue. This provides evidence that contrary to its name, SARS-CoV-2 is not only a respiratory virus, but it can also enter the brain in some individuals. But whether the persistence of the virus in brain tissue is driving some of the brain problems seen in people who have had COVID-19 is not yet clear.
    Most recently, a new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine assessed cognitive abilities such as memory, planning and spatial reasoning in nearly 113,000 people who had previously had COVID-19. The researchers found that those who had been infected had significant deficits in memory and executive task performance.

This decline was evident among those infected in the early phase of the pandemic and those infected when the delta and omicron variants were dominant. These findings show that the risk of cognitive decline did not abate as the pandemic virus evolved from the ancestral strain to omicron.

One of the biggest enduring misconceptions about COVID currently is that it remains a respiratory disease. The damage it can to beyond the lungs is long-lasting and exceeds the acute phase of infection, and in addition to brain damage can cause a bevy of cardiovascular issues.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Yeeeep.

It hasn't been "like the flu" this whole time.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Question: I have to start traveling for work again, does anyone have a favorite mask for airline travel?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Question: I have to start traveling for work again, does anyone have a favorite mask for airline travel?

Happymask is still by far the most comfortable mask to wear for long periods. They're also washable and very functional. There are more 'severe' masks, but, unless you use exceptional mask discipline and are willing to tolerate high levels of discomfort, they don't work better.

https://www.happymasks.com/

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 20

I bought some generic N95s that are very comfortable. I used them a couple times on flights and haven't had any issues. Most of my flights are 2 hours long with a fairly short layover though so I basically only wear

HUHETA KN95 Face Mask, 30 Pack... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M5F6N51

I didn't get sick at all when I wore them and that's the first time in ever that I flew on a plane without getting a fever lol.

urahonky on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

3M Aura is good for long flights because it wraps around the back of your head and can be worn for hours at a time. I carry flat fold KN95 masks that wrap around my ears for short flights (easier to take on and off) or crowded areas.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    3M 8293 P100 with a surgical mask over the top of it. Gives the best and most reliable seal I've been able to manage, without going full or half face respirator.

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Happymask is still by far the most comfortable mask to wear for long periods. They're also washable and very functional. There are more 'severe' masks, but, unless you use exceptional mask discipline and are willing to tolerate high levels of discomfort, they don't work better.

I'd like to see some research that a cloth mask, even with a filter, is remotely comparable to a N95. Every single study I've seen shows that cloth masks are garbage over long duration exposure.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    asur wrote: »

I'd like to see some research that a cloth mask, even with a filter, is remotely comparable to a N95. Every single study I've seen shows that cloth masks are garbage over long duration exposure.

That was for generic cloth masks. You can make better, and some companies do. Happymasks is one, Vogmask is another. NIOSH IIRC won't N95 certify anything that uses earloops for seal reasons, but if the fabric is good and you personally manage a good seal that won't matter. And if you don't get a good seal with an N95 its efficent is also reduced. Industrial/medical use of these fit tests for a reason.
    95% Particle Penetration Filtering Efficiency, Filter class provides >99.9% Viral and Bacterial Filtering Efficiency, Suitable materials, 5 Sizes for a good fit across a range of head diemnsions and shares, and Reusability

VOGMASK CONFORMS TO THESE STANDARDS IN TESTING:
    The filter efficiency as stated in 42 CFR Part 84.181 is a minimum efficiency for each filter of ≥ 95% ( ≤ 1% penetration) . The test articles submitted by the sponsor conform to the criteria for filter efficiency.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 20

The key phrase in tbloxham's post is "mask discipline". The best mask in the world won't help if you can't stop touching it, moving it around, taking it off, etc. In specific circumstances cloth+filter isn't the best, yes, but when you take the human factor into account there isn't much difference between the masks overall, and comfort becomes a much bigger factor.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

The key phrase in tbloxham's post is "mask discipline". The best mask in the world won't help if you can't stop touching it, moving it around, taking it off, etc. In specific circumstances cloth+filter isn't the best, yes, but when you take the human factor into account there isn't much difference between the masks overall, and comfort becomes a much bigger factor.

Happy masks also have an inbuilt filtration layer, which is demonstrated to work very well across multiple washes. They aren't just a layer of cloth. The cloth layers are overwhelmingly for moisture management and comfort. The filter layer is doing the job of protecting you from small particles. This is how most of the good re-usable masks work. The difference between it, and say something rated higher is that...

1) Testing standards are not set up to allow re-use of 'face touching' masks. You were (pre pandemic) supposed to ALWAYS consider them 1 and done. Do not re-use ever.
    2) Testing is very expensive, and can only be done TO the standards if you want to comply with the standards

So, they function as well as an N95, across many washes, and an N95 functions as well as anything you can possibly wear unless you...

Never remove it to eat, drink or fidget
    Shave right before you put it on
    Never re-use it
    Wear it at a tightness which MUST be uncomfortable. If it's a face mask, and its not miserable to wear, then it's not tight enough or filtering strongly enough to qualify as >N95.

• Options
    That last bit is wrong. I have used fit-tested N95s professionally and they do not require being miserable to wear.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    That last bit is wrong. I have used fit-tested N95s professionally and they do not require being miserable to wear.

I didn't say an N95 had to be uncomfortable. I said that if you wanted to have better protection than that it pretty much had to be. Like, if you want to claim N99 or N100.

• Options

I didn't say an N95 had to be uncomfortable. I said that if you wanted to have better protection than that it pretty much had to be. Like, if you want to claim N99 or N100.

It's one post above you know
    an N95 functions as well as anything you can possibly wear unless you...

Never re-use it
    Wear it at a tightness which MUST be uncomfortable. If it's a face mask, and its not miserable to wear, then it's not tight enough or filtering strongly enough to qualify as >N95.

Also elastometric N or P 100 respirators aren't terribly uncomfortable either. 95s are about as well-fitting as you need; 95s and 100s are more about the filter material.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited March 20

Never re-use it

Also elastometric N or P 100 respirators aren't terribly uncomfortable either. 95s are about as well-fitting as you need; 95s and 100s are more about the filter material.

In the post you quoted, "MUST be uncomfortable" refers to "anything you can possibly wear," not to "an N95." As in, "you cannot improve on an N95 unless you do these things/accept these limitations."

Calica on
  • Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    I've actually got a half mask respirator (Honeywell North 770030) with p100 filters on it, fit tested. It's more comfortable than a cloth mask- I can pretty much wear it indefinitely, and it doesn't get super horrible and moist. The main problem at that point is other people's comfort, which is kinda uncontrollable and everyone thinks you're a weirdo for wearing a mask anyway. Anything outside of a cloth mask or surgical/n95 gets weird looks, so I'm kinda like, why not get a p100 that looks like I'm about to go paintballing?

Edit: I will say, I'm extremely COVID cautious due to my circumstances so I sometimes use masks that have valves which render them pretty much purely protective for me alone, since they don't filter exhalation. That improves comfort significantly. If I haven't gone anywhere or had visitors for a few weeks (and no one I live with does either of those) I figure it's a little bit of comfort I can take fairly ethically if I'm going places where I need that level of protection and to be able to stick with it for a long time. Wouldn't recommend it as a regular practice, but it's certainly better than not wearing a mask at all. If comfort is what's preventing you from wearing the higher quality masks, maybe look into getting one with a valve.

proxy_hue on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Never re-use it

In the post you quoted, "MUST be uncomfortable" refers to "anything you can possibly wear," not to "an N95." As in, "you cannot improve on an N95 unless you do these things/accept these limitations."

That is, at best, grammatically ambiguous I think :tongue:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Well, apparently I've begun my second bout with covid! Probably picked it up at a show I went to in Baltimore last Thursday. Yesterday morning I developed the symptom of a tickle in my throat. By the time I got home, it was on the borderline of what I'd call "sore" and I took an at-home test which had technically expired in December. It was very hard to see, but there was a very faint line indicating a positive result. I took a newer test that wasn't set to expire until May and got the two solid lines. Anyway, hoping it doesn't get much worse. I went to urgent care with the idea of getting a proper test done there, but both the nurse and the doctor said that if my at-home test said it was positive, then I'm positive and they weren't going to do a test there.

The doctor offered to put me on paxlovid, but said it's best for people in at-risk categories. I opted not to go for it since I got through covid OK last time and she agreed. I was supposed to visit family this weekend, but that's up in the air. In theory I could leave a day later and wear a mask for the whole trip, but I have a feeling we'll be postponing to another date.