Options

[COVID-19] -20, -21, -22, -23...

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    So, I think I Asked this before, and I'll ask this again. There is SOMETHING going around the PNW, and it hit me and my kids (as well as my ex) like a sack of bricks. Like a cold, but stubbornly wouldn't go away, etc. Son (who had it first) had a fever the first couple days, the rest of us not so much, but we've had a persistent ear ache. I kept us all home/masked through the worst of it, but honestly, as we recovered in a more or less normal time frame, we never tested. I'm not entirely sure what the point of testing is with all the other crap going through is, as long as we're recovering. It's not like we're going to avoid much of anything with elementary aged school children in late fall in the PNW.

My kid brought home RSV last weekend and that was pretty miserable.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I lost most of my sense of smell and all of my sense of taste when I had covid in August. Neither has fully recovered yet.

Didn't happen to me when I had it in 2020 or 2021, but very much happened less than 3 months ago.

My mum lost her sense of smell after a cold in 1992. It never came back. Loss of smell and taste was already a thing that happened with respiratory disease. Covid no longer does it sufficiently more frequently to rely on it for any kind of diagnosis.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    We had something that slowly crawled through the family one at a time in October. Basic head cold with a cough symptoms, but it lasted for weeks. My son had a fever for a few days, but no one else did.

Used up a bunch of Covid rapid tests, none of which ever popped. Took both kids to the doctor (son because of fever, daughter for a physical) during it and flu, strep, Covid tests were all negative.

Being sick sucks.

Yeah. I had a planned 2-week staycation at the beginning of October which was bookended by light sickness. And both times, I also took several covid-19 tests that, like you, did not indicate that I had covid. My wife and I did not take any isolation precautions and she never caught any of it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I got hit with something early October too. It wasn't too serious just a lot of coughing. Then I felt better and got the covid shot with the flu shit and since then I've had nothing but shortness of breath and drainage.

Multiple negative tests as well. Even one in the doctors office. None of my kids or wife got anything. It stuck with me.

urahonky on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    urahonky wrote: »
    I got hit with something early October too. It wasn't too serious just a lot of coughing. Then I felt better and got the covid shot with the flu shit and since then I've had nothing but shortness of breath and drainage.

Multiple negative tests as well. Even one in the doctors office. None of my kids or wife got anything. It stuck with me.

Yup i got a coughing thing too. Never tested positive, never really had any other symptoms either.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    So, I think I Asked this before, and I'll ask this again. There is SOMETHING going around the PNW, and it hit me and my kids (as well as my ex) like a sack of bricks. Like a cold, but stubbornly wouldn't go away, etc. Son (who had it first) had a fever the first couple days, the rest of us not so much, but we've had a persistent ear ache. I kept us all home/masked through the worst of it, but honestly, as we recovered in a more or less normal time frame, we never tested. I'm not entirely sure what the point of testing is with all the other crap going through is, as long as we're recovering. It's not like we're going to avoid much of anything with elementary aged school children in late fall in the PNW.

My kid brought home RSV last weekend and that was pretty miserable.

Looking at RSV, yeah, this absolutely could have been what we got. Hard to tell though, we didn't see a doc, and the symptoms of cold, covid, RSV, etc are all so similar.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    It's that time of year! I feel like the swinging temperatures really contribute to all the illness going around too. It's 80! It's 60! It's 40! It's 70 again! all in the span of a week. And like how it makes all the trees throw pollen at once in spring, all the nature goes from summer to winter garb in such a short time and makes peoples' allergies go haywire.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Starting today, more COVID tests are available via the USPS. This is in addition to the ones that were made available back in September, so unless you've ordered them today, you're eligible for more.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Starting today, more COVID tests are available via the USPS. This is in addition to the ones that were made available back in September, so unless you've ordered them today, you're eligible for more.

Well it just so happens that I did order them today

Because you told me I could

Thanks

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So... The government is trying to dump all those expired tests they've stockpiled, huh?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have plenty of super-extended expiration tests that re-re-re-expire before Christmas already.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It still baffles me that there's a highly contagious airborne disease currently circulating, one that very likely causes long-term damage beyond the acute phase in ways that people are not immediately aware of, and the entire world is just like

meh

Last novemeber i caught COVID, finally. It was, predictably, bad for ime (I'm not immunocomprimised, but i'm close between all my health issues).

The last year has been fucking hell due to long covid. There's no support for said long COVID here in NZ - I'm basically having to research everything myself, do my best to figure out what to do, etc. I badly need the money to be able to do things like hire a cleaner, because i'm housebound and often bedridden. It fucking sucks.

and the share "Eh, whatever" of most people is maddening. They do not give a single fucking shit.

I meanwhile feel like a broken record, but when my days are mostly "Sleep, maybe i have energy to sit at my computer for abit and do light acitvity", it's really hard to stop the brain weasels from chewing my mental health to bits. (And dont even get me started on needing therapy, which requires money, which i'd need a job to get that kinda money which therapy and long covid blocks me from having)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    We're still giving out covid test kits at my library, and yeah, their expiration dates have been extended at least once. We just put them out on the shelves in the lobby, completely up for grabs. They tend to go pretty quickly. Roughly 600 kits in a shipment; we put out about 40 at a time and replenish them throughout the day. We're currently out. I'd say the last shipment lasted us a week and a half.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Expired tests often seem to have run out of fluid in those little tubes.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    In my county there are two sources for wastewater testing. It's been a little while since I last checked.

tcbyvmboljwk.png

1zlwe5cdiyaa.png

Eep.

• Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/vaccine-monitor-november-2023-with-covid-concerns-lagging-most-people-have-not-gotten-latest-vaccine/

KFF, formerly Kaiser Family Foundation, an independent source for health policy research, polling, and journalism. Recent survey indicates some weird stuff, but most notably, half of respondents are going to be taking COVID precautions for the holidays:
    The public is divided on precautions this upcoming season, with half of adults saying they are planning to take at least one of several precautions to limit the spread of COVID this fall and winter, while the other half are not planning to take any of the precautions asked about in the survey. The most common precautions people say they plan to take are avoiding large gatherings (35%) or wearing a mask in crowded places (30%). Smaller shares say they are avoiding travel this fall and winter (25%), avoiding dining indoors at restaurants (19%), or taking a COVID-19 test before visiting with friends or family (18%). Some groups are more likely to report taking such precautions including majorities of Black adults (72%), Hispanic adults (68%), Democrats (66%), and just over half (53%) of vaccinated adults.

Unsurprisingly, White folks are overwhelmingly inconsiderate and not cautious about COVID-19- only 39% plan to take precautions of any kind, and 59% have no intent of getting an updated vaccine. They really did hear "it really only hurts POC" and move on, it seems.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I want to awesome that, for at least some people still taking precautions, even if that's a very generous definition of precautions.

But...

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I visited some family and caught some sort of mild bug but didn't test positive on any of the covid tests I took, and felt fine after 2-3 days. It was weird having any sort of light sniffles at all after years of not getting sick at all, though. I thought I had an allergic reaction to something for the first couple days.

Continuing to use N95s indoors and just generally being a super homebody seems to have kept me safe for almost 4 years. Plus luck I guess. It's weird how much of my life this has consumed.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Well, I dodged it for over three years, but I finally caught Covid this week. At least officially, there's always a chance I had a light or asymptomatic version in the past, but I never had a positive Covid test until now. I'm 90% certain it happened at Thanksgiving. I had a cousin there who was super sick, and it wouldn't surprise me if I got it from him.

I'm vaxxed and triple-boosted, so I'll probably be fine, but right now it's a lot of coughing, sneezing, and/or dripping sinuses, tiredness, and occasional chills. I'm currently mitigating with Day/Nightquil, and will switch to Ibuprofin when those run out.

What makes it tricky for me is I also have a deviated septum, so I've been having issues with coughs for decades before now. Every cold turned into a sinus infection.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, you have both my sympathies and my admiration for having made it so long.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    It took about two months, but BA.2.86 is starting to sharply spike in the US.
    Nearly 1 in 10 new COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are from the BA.2.86 variant, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated Monday, nearly triple what the agency estimated the highly mutated variant's prevalence was two weeks ago.

Among the handful of regions with enough specimens reported from testing laboratories, BA.2.86's prevalence is largest in the Northeast: 13.1% of cases in the New York and New Jersey region are blamed on the strain.

Monday's figures mark the first time BA.2.86's prevalence has surged enough to be listed as a standalone variant on the CDC's estimates. Scientists first warned of the highly mutated strain's discovery over the summer.

BA.2.86 is notable for emerging just as the XBB.1.5 targeting vaccines were rolling out, and it is characterized by having more than 20 different point mutations when compared to the nearest Omicron subvariant. BA.2.86 is suspected to evade immunity quite a bit better than previous variants as a consequence, meaning that previous infection or vaccination are unlikely to be very potent against BA.2.86.

Also noteworthy is an additional subvariant of BA.2.86 - BA.2.86.1.1, which is being shortened to JN.1. JN.1 has an additional point mutation on the spike protein when compared to BA.2.86.

BA.2.86 tripling in prevalence doesn't necessarily mean we're going to see a new wave - As it was a small amount that tripled to give the 8.8% prevalence. Time will have to tell.

That being said, given how evasive BA.2.86 and JN.1 are, combined with this past Thursday being the busiest air travel day on record in the US, and I'd say we're going to see a pretty sharp increase in cases starting about.... Oh, now.

Gonna be a rough winter, I fear.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Nearly 1 in 10 new COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are from the BA.2.86 variant, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated Monday, nearly triple what the agency estimated the highly mutated variant's prevalence was two weeks ago.

Among the handful of regions with enough specimens reported from testing laboratories, BA.2.86's prevalence is largest in the Northeast: 13.1% of cases in the New York and New Jersey region are blamed on the strain.

Monday's figures mark the first time BA.2.86's prevalence has surged enough to be listed as a standalone variant on the CDC's estimates. Scientists first warned of the highly mutated strain's discovery over the summer.

BA.2.86 is notable for emerging just as the XBB.1.5 targeting vaccines were rolling out
    , and it is characterized by having more than 20 different point mutations when compared to the nearest Omicron subvariant. BA.2.86 is suspected to evade immunity quite a bit better than previous variants as a consequence, meaning that previous infection or vaccination are unlikely to be very potent against BA.2.86.

Also noteworthy is an additional subvariant of BA.2.86 - BA.2.86.1.1, which is being shortened to JN.1. JN.1 has an additional point mutation on the spike protein when compared to BA.2.86.

BA.2.86 tripling in prevalence doesn't necessarily mean we're going to see a new wave - As it was a small amount that tripled to give the 8.8% prevalence. Time will have to tell.

That being said, given how evasive BA.2.86 and JN.1 are, combined with this past Thursday being the busiest air travel day on record in the US, and I'd say we're going to see a pretty sharp increase in cases starting about.... Oh, now.

this particular bit of timing is getting quite annoying.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Just from personal experience, I'm not surprised. Besides me, it's hit a lot of people I know. My brother and sister-in-law, some of my close friends and all of their families were all hit this last couple of weeks. And these are people who've been vaxxed and cautious in the past. My brother, like me, never tested positive until now.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

BA.2.86 is notable for emerging just as the XBB.1.5 targeting vaccines were rolling out
    , and it is characterized by having more than 20 different point mutations when compared to the nearest Omicron subvariant. BA.2.86 is suspected to evade immunity quite a bit better than previous variants as a consequence, meaning that previous infection or vaccination are unlikely to be very potent against BA.2.86.

Unfortunately, with the rate of spread and mutation our society deems acceptable, this sort of vaccine evasion is inevitable.

But yes, it fucking sucks.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »

Unfortunately, with the rate of spread and mutation our society deems acceptable, this sort of vaccine evasion is inevitable.

Only 17% of people are even getting the new vaccines. A majority of Seniors aren't even getting it.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I wonder what percentage of people get vaccine side effects. I felt like shit for 2 days after getting the vaccine and so did my husband. I can see people putting it off after feeling like that.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    moniker wrote: »

Only 17% of people are even getting the new vaccines. A majority of Seniors aren't even getting it.

I'm not looking forward to having to arrange it for the first time. When I worked for county health, all of that was (as you might imagine) handled for us - just go upstairs on the appointed day and get stuck, along with everyone else in the building. If only it could be like that for everyone.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I already got my booster but my work is offering a combined flu/covid day this Thursday which I found surprising. I'll be getting my flu shot.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    I wonder what percentage of people get vaccine side effects. I felt like shit for 2 days after getting the vaccine and so did my husband. I can see people putting it off after feeling like that.

I'm on day 2 and not having fun. I think it's significant. I know one person who stopped getting boosters because the side effects felt as bad and lasted as long as getting covid.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I already got my booster but my work is offering a combined flu/covid day this Thursday which I found surprising. I'll be getting my flu shot.

I got both at the same time. Interestingly, if you're a senior they recommend you get them a couple weeks apart but you're fine if you're younger.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I got the updated booster not too long ago. It gives me a couple days of aches, pain, fatigue, fever, that feeling of being fucking ice cold but sweating your ass off. Just nasty stuff. But the worst part is it spikes my heart rate for several days after, so I continually feel like I'm winded even at rest. It really makes me worry about the level of stress it puts on my heart honestly.

I did see a doctor about it and they basically said yeah that can happen, still better than getting covid and sent me on my way.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I'm trying to but scheduling it is a fucking nightmare. They're barely available here, and the usual open clinics they used to have just don't exist now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

We go flu/COVID the first opportunity we can every October. We both feel like Baskin Robins 32 flavors of shit for the weekend but them's the breaks.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I’ve had about a day of feeling like crap (chills, fever, fatigue) with every shot, but this last one had way less of an impact.

/shrug

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Feeling like shit for a day or so seems a small inconvenience for the benefits/mitigation it provides over the actual disease.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Feeling like shit for a day or so seems a small inconvenience for the benefits/mitigation it provides over the actual disease.

pfft, maybe if you accurately evaluate risk, like a chump.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I still want to know where the hell the peds booster is at.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    A little late in getting my shots, but scheduled the double flu/covid shot for Friday. I did the same last time around, one shot in each arm. Hopefully it doesn't ruin my weekend. I have not had the terrible post-shot funk that others have been reporting, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Easy enough to schedule, local CVS has a ton of appointments (here in VA). I got the last shots there, so they had my info on file already too.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

You mean like, for under 5s? My kids (6 and 9) got theirs about a month back

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The CDC have rolled out a new Wastewater Reporting Portal that's accessible to all.

It starts out showing the national trend only, which is pretty diffuse data and overly summarized, but if you drill down you can get more specific trends and data sets. It even shows variant types.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

You mean like, for under 5s? My kids (6 and 9) got theirs about a month back

Yeah, I'd like to get my toddler her booster but it's nowhere to be found.