As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »
    Also the owner of the Bills is worth over 5 billion dollars. Way too poor to afford a new stadium. I'm sure he won't make profit from the stadium until the state is paid back with interest though.

Gave 100 million to PSU to start a hockey program about 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what your point is but good for him? He's still a greedy asshole costing NY taxpayers a shitload of money instead of using loans like a real person.

That he has the money and this is bullshit.

oh! Yes totally agree.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The best part is the whole ass state gets to pay for this one, not just the 1.2 million people in the Buffalo CSA

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I’m sure the Bears will do a great job extorting the state when they move out to Arlington.

Although the IL state government may actually be the bigger bunch of crooks in that deal.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I keep hearing how the Browns have to trade Baker and it would take a pick from the Browns. Why would they do that? Watson may be suspended for this entire upcoming year, who knows. Baker was injured last year, talk him into staying and playing this year to prove his worth and he'll be a FA next year.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Mayfield won’t play for them, nor should he

They signed Brissett for Watson’s suspension already

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Btw, I’ve been wishing for a clear end to the Browns/Mayfield situation since last season and I really regret playing with the monkeys paw now

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The best part is the whole ass state gets to pay for this one, not just the 1.2 million people in the Buffalo CSA

That's the only thing that truly shocks me. NYC can't rebuild their rapid transit but Bills ownership gets an easy $0.6B for a stadium. Galaxy-brain shit from NY Dems.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

I guess I don't see why not. There are only maybe 2 teams that would take a flier on him, so there's a chance he's either sitting on the bench or cut. I'm sure his ego is bruised but the NFL is a business and someone should be advising him on what is the best option for his career and not soothing his ego.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    make it illegal to pay public money for stadiums

this shit is beyond stupid

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Trajan45 wrote: »

I guess I don't see why not. There are only maybe 2 teams that would take a flier on him, so there's a chance he's either sitting on the bench or cut. I'm sure his ego is bruised but the NFL is a business and someone should be advising him on what is the best option for his career and not soothing his ego.

Mayfield is petty bullshit personified, this is a dude that got worked up to motion for the Kansas Jayhawks “football team” to do stuff to his crotch

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

Let is also keep in our minds that the money that will come from the team itself will actually be funded through PSLs. Meaning the team itself will pay zero cost and reap all rewards.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

That's the only thing that truly shocks me. NYC can't rebuild their rapid transit but Bills ownership gets an easy $0.6B for a stadium. Galaxy-brain shit from NY Dems.

I mean, the Bills are the only football team in the state. So I can see why they’re being coddled by the government.

• Options
    Hot damn

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    5gjsykozo0rn.jpg

Just say "a defensive score in overtime ends the game" because that's mostly the same except for the part where someone might math up a weird situation where a team makes a defensive score and somehow loses lol

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    A turnover counts as an immediate change in possession so I don't see how any game continues after a defensive score. I think the rules are just clarifying that the very first special teams possession counts.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I think the distinction is that possession needs to be had so like an onside kick with recovery and score doesn't mean the game ends

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I wish they would just get rid of OT in the regular season and play an additional quarter in the post.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    I think the distinction is that possession needs to be had so like an onside kick with recovery and score doesn't mean the game ends
    I think we may see a lot more onsides kicks in OT anyway. There is so much higher payoff even if you're winning

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I wish they would just get rid of OT in the regular season and play an additional quarter in the post.
    It’s less safe for the players. Also there are a lot more ties, which fans find unsatisfying.

zepherin on
  • Options
    NFL ties are amazing

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    It’s less safe for the players. Also there are a lot more ties, which fans find unsatisfying.

I don't see how eliminating a dozen overtime games and playing 1 extra quarter in the post season would have made the 2021 season less safe. That's drastically less football betting played.

• Options
    Ties are the only way to force end of season situations where playing to a tie benefits both teams playing and is the optimal strategy like this year
    They should happen more often cause it's hilarious

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Mayfield is petty bullshit personified, this is a dude that got worked up to motion for the Kansas Jayhawks “football team” to do stuff to his crotch

To be fair to him, that was because some of the jaybawk defensive players were twisting oline ankles in the pile ups. Mayfield had to stop Erick Wren from flat out going after one defensive player. Tempers were already high because Kansas players didn't shake hands and then the dirty pool led to that horrifying moment that you mentioned.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I don't see how eliminating a dozen overtime games and playing 1 extra quarter in the post season would have made the 2021 season less safe. That's drastically less football betting played.

Atlas in Chains exposed as a shill for Draft Kings!

But no seriously "Just have the huge people collide more once they're all borderline+ exhausted!" is possibly the worst idea for OT.

• Options

I miss read your post, yours is safer. I thought you wanted to get rid of OT in favor of another quarter. And I read post as post game. Instead of post season. I can support your plan. My bad for reading comprehension.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The only thing that was ever true is whatever solution is chosen, you will be disappointed anyway.

• Options
    God we were so close to that Chargers/Raiders tie

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    NFL ties are amazing

Yes but you can’t have a tie in the playoffs

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    NFL ties are amazing

Let’s shift to penalty kicks.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    NFL ties are amazing

I know it's not the same sport, but in the AFL, at least for most of it's first hundred years (1896-1991), all ties in the finals resulted in a replay the following week. In 1991, they changed that for all finals except the Grand Final (Superbowl equivalent). That got changed in 2016, to the same extra time rules.

It happened three times in the finals, 1994, 2007, 2017, and three times in the Grand Final (1948, 1977, 2010),

I still stand by my "away team wins coin flip, loses tie", for everything but the Superbowl, because there's nothing I hate more than a team playing for overtime. But I know that's untenable.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I am glad they got rid of the "first team to score wins" rule though. That was always dumb.

• Options
    Because Sudden Death in football wasn't graphic enough.

• Options
    maraji wrote: »
    NFL ties are amazing

But everyone in the team has to kick.

Let’s see you kick a field goal Tom

• Options
    Jameis attempting a kick would be appointment viewing

Want to see how he somehow launches either the ball or himself into the opposite end zone

• Options

Fuck it. Both kickers start with the ball on a tee on the TD line. Both kick on the whistle. First team to score, wins. No down by contact. A ball going out of bounds is chucked back in by a line judge by facing away from the field, and throwing it back over his head into the field of play.

Will it lead to injuries? I'd be shocked if not.

Then you have Steve Ryan come out (as ambulances take half the players away) to explain to the fans, owners and coaches, "That's why you don't end games in a tie."

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    NFL ties are amazing

But everyone in the team has to kick.

Let’s see you kick a field goal Tom

Coaches play goalie

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Fuck it. Both kickers start with the ball on a tee on the TD line. Both kick on the whistle. First team to score, wins. No down by contact. A ball going out of bounds is chucked back in by a line judge by facing away from the field, and throwing it back over his head into the field of play.

Will it lead to injuries? I'd be shocked if not.

Then you have Steve Ryan come out (as ambulances take half the players away) to explain to the fans, owners and coaches, "That's why you don't end games in a tie."

I thought we already decided against Aussie rules.

• Options
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33632978/bruce-arians-retiring-coach-tampa-bay-buccaneers-move-front-office-role?platform=amp

Bruce Arians is moving to a front office position and Todd Bowles will be stepping into the head coach job. Good for him, he got a raw deal with the Jets.

• Options
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33632978/bruce-arians-retiring-coach-tampa-bay-buccaneers-move-front-office-role?platform=amp

Bruce Arians is moving to a front office position and Todd Bowles will be stepping into the head coach job. Good for him, he got a raw deal with the Jets.

Miami rumors intensifies

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options

Aww, man.

Now I have to root for Brady to not suck? Cause if they don't at least make the Divisional Round, it'll likely start the process of replacement. Bowles might even be one and done if they fail to win the division, which is possible if Brady's play deteriorates significantly. I mean, the Panthers, Falcons and Saints all f'n suck, but still.