As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[War] Putin's Insane in Ukraine (Insane in the Brain)

19495969798100»

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Didn't China have to go through the process of a vote to give them the seat that the previous government held? I know Russia never did, but I think China had to.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Yes, god damn 400k people is a staggering number of people forcibly kidnapped. As you say, I would have had a hard time believing the number was that large if the Russians didn't confirm it.

Its a horrifying thought tied to a moment of napkin math to realize that’s in the ballpark of 1% of Ukraine’s population. 1 in 100 people forcibly relocated. And that could be just the starting point.

jfc

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Yes, China had to get a vote.

But kicking Russia off the SC has some major Calvinball rule vibes. If we wanted a vote to confirm Russia then the time was 30 years ago, not now.

If we create a precedent that a nation could be removed from the SC, even if we pinky swear to never use it against China, I doubt they would believe us. I certainly wouldn't. Especially since "we want to remove Russia for pulling a genocide" is especially problematic for China given Xinjiang and the Uyghurs.

I'm also not sure how the various nations of the global South would feel, either.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    China would veto cause if we can kick Russia off we can then kick them off.

Its a dumb tangent. Not going to happen.

No, we can't, because we already had that vote on China. It's a procedural technicality, but still a valid one. Russia just assumed that they had the right to that seat, and nobody said otherwise at the time, but by the rules, Russia's admission to the UN and accession to the permanent seat both required a vote by the General Assembly, just as it did when the PRC replaced the ROC, and just like it did for literally every other post-Soviet state, other than Ukraine and Belarus, to join the UN following the dissolution of the Soviet Union. It's literalist and pedantic, but it's not Calvinball rules; it's literally the opposite.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.