As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventures

Time is of the essence. If you falter, it may be your last mistake.

The 1st round has ended. The 2nd round has begun. At the end of the 3rd round, some significant will happen.

It’s your turn guys, tell me whatcha wanna do.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm going to need one of you strong torch holding types to get up in the mix. Arthur wants to unleash some orbs.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I'm going to need one of you strong torch holding types to get up in the mix. Arthur wants to unleash some orbs.

Gotcha covered

Solomon rushes into the chamber and quickly arrives at Gruush's side, the burning torch bathing the area with light. He swings his longsword down into the undead creature with a might crash!

Geth roll 1d8+3 for Longsword Damage

I should be able to reach the space next to Gruush and attack the undead, cutting diagonally out of the tunnel. I know we're at 25 ft movement, so that'd be 5 squares

Longsword Damage:
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]

Zomro on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I can't cleanly attack that same enemy without rushing through and provoking some opportunity attacks so I'll rush to the other enemy in range and try to create a parameter at least. No short rest so I guess I'm just hitting him once with a longsword.

geth roll 1d8+3 to attack a monster

to attack a monster:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Solomon

Solomon appears with a mighty roar! He slams his longsword down through the crawling fiend’s head, killing it outright!

94hby34hk6rj.jpeg

I’m not going to draw the torchlight now because if muddies the map. Just roughly count out from Simon and Solomon for light, you should have plenty.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Ahhhhh I can't get close enough and Toll the Dead seemed bad and I need to save my healz... Oh idea!

Kirina will run up to be midway between the two nearby enemies. She grasps the amulet around her chest, closes her eyes in the middle of the fight and... a moment passes... then suddenly there is a dome of light surrounding her. All the enemies nearby are illuminated in this light regardless of if y'all decide to drop your torches or anything. Everyone also feels a rush of energy and vitality flow into them, as though they had just woken up in the morning and are ready to go!

Also, everyone in it at the end of their turn (which I assume would just be "everyone in it" since these are simultaneous-ish player turns) gains..... some amount of 7 temporary HP.

Geth roll 1d6+2 for temporary HP gain

temporary HP gain:
    1d6+2 7 [1d6=5]

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Kirina

Your hair rises as if in water.

This spoiler is only for @kime
    As you gaze upon the whirling undead, you see silhouettes of hunched over and kneeling figures around it. Constantly moving black lines, like the growth of poison ivy sped up, are tangled around their limbs. These lines extend through the floor intangibly, deep into the depths of the mountain.

A presence sits briefly at your shoulder, and without words, tells you that the whirling undead will not approach you with your twilight active.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    To help imagine the lighting in the room now: Torch light is 20 ft bright light and then an extra 20 ft dim light. So if it's within 8 squares of Simon or Solomon, it's at least in dim light

• Options
    Basically this, but the whole area is bigger and snowflakes are drifting in.

9g2t1tr3jdcs.jpeg

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    After receiving that desperately needed cover from Solomon, and a likely life saving heal from Irina, can Gruush use his turn to : Cunning Action HIDE behind Solomon's visceral execution of the skeleton, crawling up (x1 E, x3 N, x1 W), and Sneak Attack-ing the skeleton on the other side of the bottomless pit afterwards?

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Basically this, but the whole area is bigger and snowflakes are drifting in.

[img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uplo ads/editor/cp/9g2t1tr3jdcs.jpeg[/img]

Also it's perfectly clear to Kirina.

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    hmsq17cxpo7x.jpeg

I’ll rewind this if your hiding skills makes you choose another course of action.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20+2 Stealth (Gruush)

Stealth (Gruush):
    1d20+2 12 [1d20=10]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Arthur watches Simon and Solomon rush forward, taking the light with them. He doesn't mind, however. Better to see the enemy ahead of you and all that. At least, he's pretty sure the was a saying he had read somewhere.

Arthur moves up, finding the two nearest enemies were either dead or engaged, but with the dim light from the torch, another can be seen up ahead. His initial reaction had been to unload his strongest spell but given the danger seemed to have lessened, instead he summons another ball of fire in his hand and sends it off.

Attacking the one just N of Alzav

Geth, roll 1d10

1d10 5 [1d10=5]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Simon

You run your blade through the whirling undead’s ribcage, and bat away an arm on the backswing. The damage matters, but it’s far from a death blow!

89a69oa3vhkc.png

Missed your post there for a bit!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Gruush

You have just managed to avoid the gaze of the undead’s hollow sockets!

Arthur

The undead is jostled by the blaze! Some of the bones it has collected are thrown out across the edge and down into the dark.

• Options
    heugg23t8t5k.jpeg

• Options
    The rush across the bridge had certainly not helped his earlier stab wound clot any better, and the manically grinning undead he had accidentally stumbled upon had managed to fully open the cut up once more. Gruush, silent and stoic, tries to keep his eyes from slowly glazing over as his blood e-b-b-s inside his forehead, and then everywhere else...

Gruush holds back carefully out of range as Solomon rushes in to save him from the looming skeletal defender, and Irina is shortly behind to provide a resplendent breath of light, which helps the Masked Man find himself and rise to his feet!

In his injured, bloodied anger, the masked man rushes out from the cover between the Cleric and the Knight, snarling like a cornered animal, and jogs around the Pit. Gruush pulls his twin daggers, finds the skeleton across the chasm, and dives in, blades flashing!...

Geth roll 1d4+2 piercing #1 (Gruush)
    Geth roll 1d6 sneak attack
    Geth roll 1d4 piercing #2 (Gruush)

piercing #1 (Gruush):
    1d4+2 5 [1d4=3]
    sneak attack:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    piercing #2 (Gruush):
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Gruush

Your first dagger catches a hard shoulder blade, while the second smashes clean through the thing’s skull. Yet it endures.

No walls of rock will be cast by this guy, but its still kicking.

It’s late where I’m at, so catch you lot later!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Catching up!

Alzav will Shocking Grasp the adjacent crawler and run along the wall to his group of friends.

"There are two more, northeastern! Both are hurt, but still moving."

Geth roll 1d8 for Shocking Grasp

Shocking Grasp:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Periodically, until she dies, Alzav will atrempt to Message (120' range) Watki for the rest of the adventure: "I can see you."

• Options
    edited April 2022
    The Undead

Gonna have to theatre of the mind this bit as I’m away from my tablet.

The chests of two corpses bursts open with black fungus! They scramble to their feet. A little tougher than the crawlers, not as powerful as the whirling skeletons, you guess. One awakens beside Simon. The other far on the opposite side of the square shaft.

With a flash of many teeth and a ear splitting shriek, the whirling skeleton nearest to Gruush twists itself into a centipede-like form ending in its shattered skull! It charges the masked man down, trying to ram him into a bottomless pit!

Geth roll 1d20+1

Gruush! Make a contested Strength save versus the whirling skeleton nearest to you!

The undead by the shaft remain where they are. They ready themselves for your approach! Are they… defending it? All the while the noise of whatever mechanical thing is racing up the shaft becomes louder.

Round 3! Fight!

1d20+1 9 [1d20=8]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Robot, don't fail me now

Geth roll 1d20+2 Strength Save (Gruush)

Strength Save (Gruush):
    1d20+2 15 [1d20=13]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    The whirling bone skeletons clearly seem to be the toughest of the bunch. Is the one near where Alzav was injured at all? I think that's the one Alzav hit already and not the crawler. I'm going to after it anyway, but wondering if it's a good idea to drop a Divine Smite on it (I only have 2 spell slots!)

Zomro on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that's the one I hit. I think Alzav hit the crawler so he could get away without an AoO.

So, it should be down 5HP.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I Firebolted the whirler to the NE that was past the lever, i think it was 8 dmg maybe? And Shocked the crawler over there to avoid AoO.

I'm also contemplating using a spell slot here.
    May as well, I think - i have more than you.

Seeing the crowd of strange undead pressing towards them, Alzav pulls a small diamond from his pocket and drags it across his palm. Pink sparks fly from his hand as if he had drawn steel across flint, and a flickering orb of energy flies into the same cloud of bones he had already shot.

Alzav will move a bit to insulate himself from the front line.

Geth roll 3d8 thunder damage

thunder damage:
    3d8 12 [3d8=7, 1, 4]

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Arthur had fired off at the skeletal cloud that was closer to Alzav, but then Alzav moved away and was focusing on it himself. Instead, the young wizard took in his surroundings to assess the current threats, finding another skeletal cloud attacking Gruush.

Creating another handful of fire, he launches it against this new target, the closer attacker who was targeting their masked companion.

Geth, roll 1d10 for Firebolt

Firebolt:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

• Options
    I think I have maybe lost track of things. I could probably use a map update :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    I think this map is still correct for enemy placement, just replace the crawlers in red (dead one by Simon, other one by Alzav) with the Black Fungus things.

Alzav is the only one that has moved, moving back closer to the group.

heugg23t8t5k.jpeg

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Adventurers

Apologies gang, I’ve been smashing walls down with a sledgehammer all day.

With a shocking blast that begins at Alzav’s eyes and extends out through his fingers, a whirling threat is silenced. Despite its clear aversion to flames, the other remains, looming over Gruush. It suddenly lashes out, but he manages to hold ground; his heels inch precariously over the edge of a bottomless pit.

Gruush, through sheer grit, just avoided instant death.

There was momentary confusion among you as shadows rose and intermingled with torchlight and darkness. Two new undead have joined the fray, even as one is felled. These ones stink. Black fungus has burst from their head and chest.

nbvwm8d83hpl.png
    ar4rpuf9kykw.jpeg

Additionally, the wall of jagged rock has crumbled away.

Consider who is worth destroying, who is the biggest threat, @kime

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Kirina runs up to the fungus undead (which I think keeps everyone in range of the Twilight dome? 30 ft) and hits it with her Warhammer.

Geth roll 1d8+2 for Warhammer damage

Then she shouts out to the rest of the group, "so... is there a plan here? Should we find another way?"

Warhammer damage:
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

Steam profile
  • Options
    Kirina

You crack the undead in the chin, smashing its teeth in!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Since Gruush has taken a beating so far, I''ll stay near him so I can use Interception in case he gets attacked again

Solomon sees Gruush attack the whirling skeleton across the pit, "Well struck, Gruush!" He then moves once again to Gruush's side, in order to protect him from future attacks. Solomon pushes the torch into the swirling mass of bones, its brilliant magical flame singing the undead creature.

I gots a magic torch, might as well use it!

Geth roll 1d4+3 for Torch Attack!

Torch Attack!:
    1d4+3 5 [1d4=2]

Zomro on
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to give more HP!

Geth roll 1d6+2 for temporary HP

Everyone can replace their current temporary HP with this if they want to.

temporary HP:
    1d6+2 7 [1d6=5]

Steam profile
  • Options
    Solomon

The enchanted flames swirl through the fiend’s snaking form! Torchlight illuminates it’s eye sockets, and fire erupts from its broken skulls! It lurches forward and careens down the pit, never to be seen again!

• Options
    wye5gj7sjhdu.png

• Options
    As this won’t affect Simon much, I’ll bring this forward slightly. I was going to do it at the end of this round regardless..

Look! Over at the squared off shaft, a structure has been pushed up from the pitch black depths! Carved from stone, covered in moss and lichen, an elevator. The top has room enough for 4 people. A thin staircase leads down to a lower floor, it too has room for 4 passengers. As yet, you can only assume putting the lever back as you found it will send the elevator back down, but perhaps there is another way. You’ve already seen the Oudru’s architects love of pressure plates.

naop1xkl05uh.jpeg
    4ool2swf6ngk.jpeg

• Options
    "A plan!?" remarks Simon "So far the plan seems to be going well I think" he turns around to swing at the fungus undead that has arrived within range of Kirina and himself. "We've created a perimeter and retrieved our scout."

Geth roll 1d10+3 for two-handed anti-fungal attack

Sorry If I missed this but do we know what the red square at the incline is?

two-handed anti-fungal attack:
    1d10+3 8 [1d10=5]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The Undead

The fungal threat recoils from Simon’s strike! Then it places its mangled hands to its face and steps away, trying to avoid Kirina’s divine light. Then it takes a deep rattling breath and exhales a cloud of spores!

Simon! Make a Constitution saving throw!
    Kirina! Make a Constitution saving throw!

k8onl0ehdbyp.jpeg

Both of you can make an attack of opportunity! If you slay it by these attacks, you’ll succeed on your saving throws no matter your roll.

The remaining crawler heaves itself towards Alzav slowly, slowly… then all at once it leaps for the sorcerer! It has left its legs behind! It tackles him, trying to gnaw his head off! This undead’s remaining HP is halved. It’s near as dead.

Geth roll 1d4 for Last Bite

Alzav! You suffer 2 damage.

le4m0kjozoj3.jpeg

@nightmarenny
    Some out of character knowledge:
    • The grey rectangle represents a bath-like dip in the rock. Only 10 feet down at its deepest point.
    • A treasure chest has slid down there. No lock, no trap.
    • It is guarded by a significantly more terrifying undead than you’ve currently faced.
    • None of you have seen any of this yet.
    • The choice to face it is anyone’s to make, but you’ll have to weigh your resources versus an unknown prize.

Last Bite:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Ok cool I was worried I was missing something.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for constitution
    Geth roll 1d10+3 to murder this thing.

Welp! Sure hope that's enough to kill it.

constitution:
    1d20+4 5 [1d20=1]
    to murder this thing.:
    1d10+3 11 [1d10=8]

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg