As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Arcana

Arcana:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Arthur & Gruush

Magic has many sources. Here, magic is drawn up from the core of the world. If you’re sure of your own will and physical capabilities, one need only press their hands against the cold earth at the exact middle of the standing stones to pull forth a spell befitting of your soul.

In the ancient rites of the stones, you believe it was necessary for others to aid the challenger in some way.

Old, washed out blood stains across the stones tell you that those that fail this task are forsaken by the very power they seek.

Make a Constitution and Charisma saving throw if you wish to take on the rite of the standing stones.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    I'm sure this will go terribly, but wow is this exactly something Arthur would jump at the chance to do.

Arthur can barely scribble fast enough in his book once he realizes that this does. He writes notes, places the book down, excitedly walks forward without saying anything, and gets down on his needs, holding his hands above the imprints in the earth. "An exciting adventure indeed!" is all he says before placing his hands down.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Con Save
    Geth, roll 1d20 for CHA save

Con Save:
    1d20+2 15 [1d20=13]
    CHA save:
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Adventurers

Arthur screams! His hands are glued to the earth! The standing stones quake, but do not fall.

Arthur! You suffer 5 damage!

Anyone! Make an Athletics check to pull Arthur free! Every failed check will deal 5 damage to Arthur and whoever tries to free him.

Arthur’s right hand is permanently scarred in such a way it looks like layers of rock.

Arthur’s mind is invaded by an ancient spell! Arthur, you now know the Mold Earth cantrip. You can only begin to cast this spell once you are freed by an ally.

Geth roll 1d6 for Spell
    Geth roll 1d6 for Charisma Horror

Spell:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]
    Charisma Horror:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Solomon rushes to Arthur's aid.

Guessing 10 is not enough

He grabs the young wizard's arm and tries to pull him free of whatever magic that's ensnared him. The earth is stubborn and refuses to give Arthur up.

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]

Zomro on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    (rewinding a bit back to the short-rest camp)
    Zomro wrote: »
    "Lady Kirina, thank you for listening to an old soldier's tale." Solomon packs up his gear and stows his weaponry. "We should head out soon."

I agreeed on a previous post, but I'll say for sure that I vote on the ACF path.

"Of course, any time. I... wonder, though. No one returns from the Vastness Beyond. Does this not serve just as well as a death sentence? How long will you spend looking for her body? How much of this is for her judgment versus your own?"

She lays a hand on Solomon's shoulder. "I hope I don't overstep. But sometimes, we must all learn to lay down our burdens and rest, lest you be unprepared for the day ahead. A constant, unchanging, unyielding task is unsustainable. It's something I've seen from many people. Think on it. I will help where I can."

Back to the present!

Kirina casts Guidance on herself in preparation for this ritual, just in case. As Arthur screams in pain and the earth begins to consume him, she rushes in to help! Helping those in pain is a habit that is not so easily forgotten.

Geth roll 1d20+2+1d4 for Athletics and Guidance

Athletics and Guidance:
    1d20+2+1d4 19 [1d20=14] [1d4=3]

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Adventurers

Solomon instinctively grabs the lad around the waist, but finds himself caught in the grip of the magic Arthur attempts to tame! You both suffer 5 damage.

Not a moment after, Kirina grips both by the arm and pulls! They fall back together, and the standing stones fall silent.

So, anyone else fancy a go? :smiley:

Very cool way to think about Solomon’s task, by the way.

• Options
    "Aaaaaaaaa" Arthur yells as multiple hands pull at him. Finally free from the stone, he lays on his side, clasping his the wrist of his right hand with his left, breathing heavily. "Thank......Thank you" he manages to exhale at Solomon and Kirnia.

Rolling himself over to his knees again, he remains hunched over on the ground for a moment, before pulling his upper body back. He finally looks down at his hand, noting the scarring. He turns his hand over and back in front of his face, saying nothing, not looking at the others. Finally, he manages to pull himself back to his feet, collecting his belongings, cradling his book against himself protectively.

"I'm. I'm sorry. That was....foolish. Thank you both."

• Options
    This is why you came here, Kirina thinks to herself.

"Solomon. Should I require assistance, can you please aid me? As you just helped Arthur?" (You can get the credit :P )

She then casts Guidance on Solomon, and moves to the center to perform the ritual. Same rolls?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Same rolls.

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Constitution Saving Throw
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Charisma Saving Throw

Constitution Saving Throw:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]
    Charisma Saving Throw:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Kirina

The ground thrums in time with Kirina’s heartbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NbMUXC0aw

This spoiler is only for @kime
    Tremors. You can see in a way you barely understand. The whole mountain.

Many undead are active, but trapped behind stone walls.

There are knights in front of the city’s castle. They are renewing warding spells to keep whatever lurks inside at bay. They are close to completing their task. If the party goes to more than one additional place in the Fallen Tower District, getting in the castle will be of the highest difficulty.

Within the castle, you sense many fighting entities. It’s isn’t clear what or why.

Distantly, you know a river is running out of the depths of the mountain.

Then your vision returns to normal.

Kirina! You have learned the Shape Water cantrip!

Kirina’s nails become a dull black, the tips of her fingers a bruised purple.

Geth roll 1d6 for Spell

Spell:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Charisma Horror:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Just to make sure, I don't need anyone to save me?

I think the color change really works with Kirina's look :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Just to make sure, I don't need anyone to save me?

I think the color change really works with Kirina's look :D

Nope! You’re good to go.

• Options
    Kirina stands up, looking at her hands. "That's not... exactly the price I was expecting." She pulls out her waterskin, and waterbends some of the water out and into a couple basic shapes, before returning it to its container. "This could be useful."

She walks out to the rest of the group. "If anyone else wants to do this, do it now. Then we need to move, and I have things to tell you all as we do."

Steam profile
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Gruush shakes his head brusquely, arms protectively shoved inside the hem of his pants. "Nah, thanks," he nervously responds, taking specific note of Kirina's new nails. "The-Powers-That-Be-want-nought-to-do-with-me...nor I them! Besides..." He grunts with a light concern. "Need me hands get things..."

Gruush isn't really a spell guy, and doesn't need another HP hit. He's good to move on. From here, are we headed to the Fallen Half? Was there anywhere else people wanted to go before the Burial Grounds?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Solomon looks at the ritual stones, "I think that is too much for me. I'll remain nearby if anyone else wishes to try, though."

Solomon tried to convince himself that he just didn't want to risk harm to himself or the others if the ritual grabbed him like it did to Arthur. In truth, however, Solomon was afraid of what the ritual would reveal through the spell 'befitting' his soul.

"When we're ready to move, we can check the fallen tower for supplies. I also admit that the forge over there might be promising, perhaps there would be weapons or armor that we could use. Though I do worry about who, or what, is tending that forge now."

I am super tempted to do the ritual, but it fits Solomon to pass. We can check the fallen half and then move on, unless anyone else wants to see the forge.

Zomro on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Simon shook with anticipation. Would this be it? A way to finally break through whatever blocked him from the more magical side of Wytch-Knight training. Certainly it was too tantalizing a chance to ignore.

"I will attempt as well... Solomon if you could? Please?" He nodded and walked a bit too quickly. He stuck his arm out above the standing stone and then, with a moments hesitation, began to lower his hand upon it.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for constitution
    Geth roll 1d20 for charisma.

oh boy. Well me being terrible at magic is consistent I guess!

constitution:
    1d20+4 8 [1d20=4]
    charisma:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Simon

The world spins.

For you alone, visions of slender hands made from marble reach out and drag you a thousand miles beneath the earth, never to be seen again.

Simon is stuck to the ground, head bent to it, legs kicking.

Simon! You suffer 5 damage!

Anyone! Make an Athletics check to pull Simon free! Every failed check will deal 5 damage to Simon and whoever tries to free him.

Simon! You cannot be healed by magic until you take a long rest.

Simon’s left hand is permanently scarred in such a way it looks like layers of rock.

Geth roll 1d6 for Constitution Horror

Constitution Horror:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]
    Charisma Horror:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Geth roll 1d20+1d4+5 for Athletics

Using Kirina's Guidance

Edit: Geth, please. Take pity on me

Athletics:
    1d20+1d4+5 9 [1d20=1] [1d4=3]

Zomro on
  • Options
    Simon and Solomon both take 5 damage!

• Options
    I hope Alzav wants to try because this is saving me a random encounter.

• Options
    Can I use my newly gained Mold Earth to either make it easier for the hands to release, or maybe use a combination of mage hand with athletics to make it easier for Arthur to free him? Not so great at the Athletics (though, because I chose Human, it's actually just a straight roll)

• Options
    Can I use my newly gained Mold Earth to either make it easier for the hands to release, or maybe use a combination of mage hand with athletics to make it easier for Arthur to free him? Not so great at the Athletics (though, because I chose Human, it's actually just a straight roll)

Brain power is always rewarded. You get advantage to the roll.

• Options

Gruush still has his rope! He could make the Athletics Check (Advantaged?), if Simon could provide the assist!

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Secret question for DM only
    So, timing-wise, if we want not-the-highest-difficulty, we basically need to go straight to the Burial Homes, yes? Because we have to go through there, and that would be the "one additional" place? Or is it we can go to one other place in addition to the required exit?

Oh goodness I wrote this before seeing the latest series of posts. I'm laughing so hard reading them :D

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    mrpaku wrote: »

Gruush still has his rope! He could make the Athletics Check (Advantaged?), if Simon could provide the assist!

You bunch of thinkers. One advantage to this man too.

kime wrote: »
    Secret question for DM only
    So, timing-wise, if we want not-the-highest-difficulty, we basically need to go straight to the Burial Homes, yes? Because we have to go through there, and that would be the "one additional" place? Or is it we can go to one other place in addition to the required exit?
    My bad. One stop before then. So maybe the Fallen Half since Gruush is keen, then Burial Homes.

• Options
    Arthur watches Kirina put her hands down, feeling confused for a second after he had just gotten stuck. But then, she just casually removes them herself, and he feels even more foolish that he couldn't.

That is, until Simon placed his hands down and began screaming. Once again Solomon attempted to intervene but wasn't able to fully pull Simon away. Arthur was still struggling with his own foolishness, but he wasn't able to see another person scream like he had without trying to help. He reaches into his head for the knowledge he had just gain, pushing magical energy out his rock-looking right hand into the space where Simon's hands were connecting with the stone. He wasn't sure that it would actually change the stone, but maybe it was enough to cause interference with the magic. As he does, he reaches out himself and grabs Simon's arm, trying to pry it free.

Geth, roll 2d20k1 for Athletics

Athletics:
    2d20k1 19 [2d20k1=[19], 9]

• Options
    Simon & Arthur

You now have opposite hands that are scarred like stone. People will be like, “Are you related? I only ask because you both have hands that look like rocks.”

You are now Hands That Look Like Rock Friends. You gain +1 to being friends.

• Options
    As the young wizard, (himself injured), leaps in to help the others, Evil-Eyed Gruush grumbles. "S'what em' sayin'..." He complains to no one in particular. "Ye' mess with the divine, it'll mess back more often en' nought..."

• Options
    Simon & Arthur

You now have opposite hands that are scarred like stone. People will be like, “Are you related? I only ask because you both have hands that look like rocks.”

You are now Hands That Look Like Rock Friends. You gain +1 to being friends.

We only high five with our rock hands.

Also, I now have this picture in my head of both Arthur and Kirina saying to Solomon the equivalent of "No, you totally loosened the lid first, that's why I could get it open"

• Options
    I'm just glad that nat 1 didn't force me into the ritual by accident.

Nope, I didn't say anything.

• Options
    The game is now paused as Alzav has a lot to process from the chat in the shrine to now.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I don't know where to put that on my sheet but I'll find a place. Ha. Did we short or long rest back there? I just need to know if Kirina's temp hp still matters.

Excruciating pain shot through Simon and for a moment he thought he might pass out. He felt Solomon's grip on his side but could feel his pull at all. Was he stuck? Would he die now for his foolishness?

A face appeared before Simon that made him cringe. The face might have reminded someone of Simons if they were to see it. Older and more severe. "A fine mess you've caught yourself in boy. Messing with things beyond your kin. I told you this wasn't the answer"

The pressure hold his arm down seemed to loosen and he felt another pair of hands on his body and suddenly he was pulled away. He stared around at his companions who had so quickly risked their live at his foolishness.

"Tha-thank you. I'm sorry I shouldn't have..."

The man with his face who he knew was not really there continued to speak. "Damn right, you shouldn't have. Such foolishness you could have got these people killed. The talent rejects you at every angle and still you put people through this? If you had any skill in that area do you think Hildy woulda lef-"

"SHUT UP YOU MISERABLE OLD GHOST" Simon spat. "YOU ARE NOT HIM. I KNOW HE DIDN'T BLAME ME. I KNOW IT!"

When Simon realized that he had said that out loud he froze.

"My... Apologies. I must get some distance lest anyone else would like to test their luck with the stone."

He moved to get some space from his companions. He looked for a space blocked from their view, ripped his helm off and dropped it carelessly on the floor and began some simple breathing exercises as he waited for the rancid spirit of his father to disappear from view.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Short rest, you still have the temporary HP

Steam profile
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "I do apologize. I had not expected that things would be different where you are from."

Kings? Alzav smiled. "I take no offense, Simon. I wouldn't have been so honest if I didn't think I was speaking to a friend." Smiling, "Perhaps I should visit the place you speak of, no?"

Alzav is rapt listening to the glass maiden, and, when he finishes, he realizes he had been holding his breath. He watches her hobble from candle to candle, lighting the shrine for some inscrutable purpose. "Thank you." He unslings the lute from his back. For the rest of the party's time resting in the shrine, Alzav plucks soft chords as his friends rest, a gentle lullaby in this lost place, absently strummed as he ponders the maiden's words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Xv0mJkHpw

Wow @Endless_Serpents , her response is one of the best posts in the thread!

Alzav took the 20gp indicated (then left one for the maiden). He will carry the golden buckler for now, until something calls for its use. It seems like someone should make use of the helmet, and others can do the Perceiving?

On the way to the broken towers, Alzav will relay the informational parts of what the glass maiden told him to the rest of the party.

Are we investigating the locations together? I would think/hope yes, together. Since this location was indicated to be resource-heavy, I'm fine with exploring it more exhaustively than anywhere else we pass by.

"The silent forge. Perhaps there are armors or weapons there that could be of use, or someone who can craft them? We should visit there before we leave this place."

At the Arcane Conduit

Alzav looks at the hand imprints in the ground. "The People of the Grasses are long-limbed. I can place my hands in these."

I'll try to help Simon determine what these are. Assuming the knowledge checks don't return "this is just lethal," I'm doing it.

Update: OK, I didn't post this quickly because I was cover a lot, and much has happened :D I'll roll it!

Geth roll 1d20 + 4 for Constitution saving throw

Geth roll 1d20 + 5 for Charisma saving throw

Constitution saving throw:
    1d20 19 [1d20=19]
    Charisma saving throw:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

• Options
    I'm trained in Perception so I'd rather not put disadvantage on those rolls. So, if anyone else would like the helmet, I'm more than happy to hand it over

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav will not wear tye helmet for stylistic reasons.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Alzav

The ground thrums in time with Alzav’s heartbeat.

This spoiler is only for @fadingathedges
    You only get a vague sense of it, but the knights in blue are outside the castle. They’re renewing some spell to keep the gate locked. There isn’t much time until they finish their task.

Visit one more place, then travel through the Burial Homes, or else the castle will be very difficult to get into.

Alzav! You have learned the Shape Water cantrip!

Alzav’s body hair becomes significantly thicker, and his beard becomes more robust! Even his eyebrows flare up with thicker hair.

Geth roll 1d6 for Spell

Spell:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Charisma Horror:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Alzav & Kirina

Aw yeah, now you’re Shape Water Friends.

Details pending, but I see no reason why if you were to cast the cantrip together it wouldn’t be doubly effective.