As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sorry for [Party] Rocking

1939495969799»

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Ursus wrote: »
    Source for the poll hike? Mostly asking since polls are usually lagging by 2 weeks or so behind events.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/27/1107733632/poll-majorities-oppose-supreme-courts-abortion-ruling-and-worry-about-other-righ

Among others. Margin is pretty high but its probably there.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One of the bigger problems that Democrats face when they're actually doing their jobs is that the media is pretty firmly owned by cynical interests at best. Any thoughts on how they could be managing that better while respecting free press etc.?

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Thanks. Well that’s a good first step at least

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen a public whip count/or gotten the remaining Dem senators on the record that they’ll vote to remove the filibuster if they have the numbers to make Manchin/Sinema moot after the midterms?

I know publications sometimes collate those sorts of things.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Kelor wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a public whip count/or gotten the remaining Dem senators on the record that they’ll vote to remove the filibuster if they have the numbers to make Manchin/Sinema moot after the midterms?

I know publications sometimes collate those sorts of things.

Senators say it's 48, I don't trust Chris Coons personally and would feel better if we had 53.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    54, Feinstein is a major wildcard

• Options

Feinstein will vote the way her staff tells her to.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Feinstein will vote the way her staff tells her to.

Murphy being Murphy she'd probably fall over dead just in time to derail the vote.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Oh the other indication we have is a special election in Nebraska yesterday. Dems lost 53-47 in an R+11 (remember this means average we would expect is 61-39) district.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    One of the bigger problems that Democrats face when they're actually doing their jobs is that the media is pretty firmly owned by cynical interests at best. Any thoughts on how they could be managing that better while respecting free press etc.?

There's been lots of stories over the last however long its been for Biden's administration of the White House declining invitations to to sunday show circuit

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I'm expressing some concerns about counting on Feinstein's vote.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Anything under 65 or so feels risky.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Anything under 65 or so feels risky.

And even if it didn’t, you still have the issue that without a packed Court, SCOTUS will just pull the “not a traditional right, power reserved to the states, fed can’t say shit” card again

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The problem with the "vote" position is that the Senate system basically requires a presidential landslide for Democrats to get a bigger majority and I don't see that happening. Biden won the nationwide vote by 4.4% and barely won the presidency. That's only going to get much, much worse.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The problem with the "vote" position is that the Senate system basically requires a presidential landslide for Democrats to get a bigger majority and I don't see that happening. Biden won the nationwide vote by 4.4% and barely won the presidency. That's only going to get much, much worse.

Yeah given they're pretty straightforward about not wanting to remove the filibuster they're telling us they need a super majority that voters cannot get them before they can do anything.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Assuming they defend Georgia/Arizona/Nevada (tough but doable), Fetterman was already a favorite over Oz before SCOTUS made life easier for Democrats. So it really just comes down to Wisconsin (if you have Senator Coons).
    And keeping the House.

Defeatist stuff doesn't help anyone.

• Options
    I'd respect the Democrats more if they said "fuck the Senate were gonna campaign to help take over the states to get things done" but they don't even want to do that

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Assuming they defend Georgia/Arizona/Nevada (tough but doable), Fetterman was already a favorite over Oz before SCOTUS made life easier for Democrats. So it really just comes down to Wisconsin (if you have Senator Coons).
    And keeping the House.

I’ll just add again that Ron Johnson has only ever beaten Russ Feingold and I have no idea what that guy did to piss of Wisconsinites

• Options

And keeping the House.

None of what I said is defeatist. I find it perfectly reasonable to say "the Democrats won't win by landslides in the future" given the current ideological split of the country.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

And keeping the House.

There’s a difference between defeatism and realism that suggests alternative paths within the power of the democrats, and being pissed when they don’t utilize those existing paths that they absolutely have the power of a collective to wield.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Closed for maintenance.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.