As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are you going to keep using Twitter, musk of Elon notwithstanding?

19596979899101»

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A combination of the previous options, arranged to fit my lifestyle and level of desired engagement
    I wonder if the victims will actually see any of that money.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No
    Is this not a court like texas where there is a limit on the pay out?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

If you mean appeals, yeah, dunno.

If you mean lawyers fees, those are not included in the numbers.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A combination of the previous options, arranged to fit my lifestyle and level of desired engagement
    Jragghen wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

If you mean appeals, yeah, dunno.

If you mean lawyers fees, those are not included in the numbers.

I mean like

Alex Jones and InfoWars do not have assets worth this much and I fully expect him to flee the country rather than pay a single cent.

• Options
    No
    Jragghen wrote: »

Finally some god damn good news with regards to this bullshit that isn't connected to "but"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah I'm dooming about the victims actually seeing this level of payout but I do think there's a high chance this bankrupts and sinks InfoWars. Alex Jones might piss off to some country with no extradition but the company's incorporated here, they're fucked.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yes
    Now we can get back to the important work of homosexualizing amphibians

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Yeah, that particular act may really sink him. I haven't seen a lawyer read the actual verdict to make sure that that stayed all the way to the end. If it did, I think appeal is the only way he gets out of it, and an appeal may maintain the verdict but lessen the amount.

Still, really good to see and I hope it ultimately kills info wars.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    No
    I don't know what they can appeal on beyond "this will destroy Infowars." But seeing its the US right wing judicial system, that would probably be enough.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I don't know what they can appeal on beyond "this will destroy Infowars." But seeing its the US right wing judicial system, that would probably be enough.

can you not appeal on damages being ridiculous/beyond your ability to pay? I am very much not a lawyer so i have no idea

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    cursedking wrote: »

can you not appeal on damages being ridiculous/beyond your ability to pay? I am very much not a lawyer so i have no idea

You appeal by filing chapter 11 under the "Fucked Around And Found Out" act.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    No

I too am not a lawyer, but it feels like these damages were set that way to achieve that result. Like the court wanted to bankrupt info wars because of the pain and suffering their lies caused and they benefitted from.

It was pretty much proven Infowars succeeded off of lies about Sandy Hook etc, and the court was like "you don't get to lie build an empire on those lies and pain and keep that empire."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Maybe?
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

You appeal by filing chapter 11 under the "Fucked Around And Found Out" act.

He already did declare bankruptcy to preempt paying out and the judge in that case assigned the restructuring to an independent party because of all the lies and intentional obfuscation

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yes
    I will forever be sad that the person who unwittingly brought us the whole alpha/beta thing actually had mis interpreted their own data and Wolves do not have Alphas.
    They do but it's patriarchal rather than the chaos of competition. The original study was on wolves in captivity who were not related to each other and so competed to be top dog but in the wild the top dog is the father and mother(s) of the pack.

• Options
    Maybe?
    So there’s no cap in CT and there’s still another judgment and bundle of dollars just for this case and I think there’s yet one more case after this

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Doesn't this just amount to an order that he must continue his radio show for life so that he can keep paying off his debt?

• Options
    Maybe?
    Doesn't this just amount to an order that he must continue his radio show for life so that he can keep paying off his debt?

No, it means he’ll have lawyers and judges that have already destroyed him up his ass for the rest of his life to garnish any money he earns- so he can do his show for free, basically, or do something else for free

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

No, it means he’ll have lawyers and judges that have already destroyed him up his ass for the rest of his life to garnish any money he earns- so he can do his show for free, basically, or do something else for free

Don't forget about the living in poverty part. That's important.

This discussion has been closed.