As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Strike Force Claymore — Gladiatorial Wombat

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sug focuses real hard, thinks happy thoughts, and starts hovering off the ground. "Woaaaah."

He floats back and forth a bit. "The key is to believe."

• Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Maggie experiments a bit, getting her air legs. "Neat! Oh, um, remember the portable hole and bag of holding you mentioned, Sug? Combining them is what brought us here. For the same reasons that brought us here, I recommend we leave our uniform pockets alone while we're here. No telling what could happen, and I think it's probably more on the bad half of the ledger than the good."

She gains enough comfort with flying while talking to float past Ryder as if she were lying on her side in a bed, propping up her head with her right arm. "You got any more of that leaf? I bet you could fly pretty high with that." She giggles.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Ryder looks at Maggie and does a double take. "Wait... Maggie, when did you get here? Did you show up when the Goddesses did? Wait, where did the Goddesses go? And where did this gun come from? I am completely lost."

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Cyr looks around, baffled at the his team members suddenly flying.

Geth roll 1d20 for Intelligence

Intelligence:
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Lyn winces and tugs the crumbling device from her ear to toss aside. "Alright, they don't do what they're supposed to in here, but I think I overheard someone else, uh...using the same frequency. Or whatever." She looked in the direction Ryder pointed. "Whoever's in here with us said the freak took off towards the observatory. Which I guess is that." She gestured in the same direction with her spear, which had finally stopped glowing.

"Wait, why did you keep his gun? He's gonna want that back." Lyn thought the ammo for it was difficult to come by, but she'd never seen the weapon, or Dario, until today, so...

"Whatever, I guess we should head there and finish killing that...thing...person? And probably some dragons." She began to nonchalantly lift off the ground, hardly even thinking about it. "Who wants to carry Ryder?"

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Cyr

Flying speed? 30 feet.

ravh9olcz8ph.jpeg

• Options
    "Wait, so Ryder can't fly?" Sug floats down next to Ryder. "Did you try believing? Happy Thoughts?"

"Someone come help me. I'll grab one side, you grab the other and we'll fly on towards that Observatory."

Do one of those "help them off the field" type moves where Ryder wraps his arms around two of us and we support him as we fly to the next rock.

• Options
    You land softly on the dusty surface of a slowly turning rock. Dried out vines slither across the ground, long dead.

Except… a yard from where you land… there is a rectangular hole in the ground with a curve at one end. An archway, actually.

Nothing saying you’ve got to investigate it. You’ve probably had enough of going down… but then, you are the 69ers.

• Options
    Maggie takes a quick look through the archway.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Is any part of this not combat enough to count as a short rest? I'd really like to not be at just 1hp

• Options
    "I'm gonna give the gun back, I just don't remember taking it, is all." Ryder makes sure the weapon is loaded, in case they wind up in combat again. "Until then, though, I'm going to use it. My bow was taken and my crossbow is missing, so I need something to shoot."

"Wish I knew why I can't fly. Flying would be super cool. I don't think it's fair, but what can you do?"

I would have to drop my crossbow and scimitar when I grabbed the gun, so I just have the gun and my second scimitar for weapons atm.

• Options
    Is any part of this not combat enough to count as a short rest? I'd really like to not be at just 1hp

To do it, do it.

You can halt the party to a short rest, so long as they’re willing. Everything I run is on countdown clocks, but I’ll never put you in an unwinnable situation.

• Options
    Maggie

Peering in, you see a short walkway leading to a circular balcony. The balcony is cracked and lifts slightly away. On the balcony is a sea green chest made of glass.

What do you think is in the chest?

Ryder

Sounds corrects. You have 3 rounds to fire.

If you roll a natural 20 to hit, you become proficient with firearms.

• Options
    Well when you say it that way, it makes me want to soldier on. :lol:

• Options
    "There appears to be a chest down... in? the archway here. If y'all want to rest I'm willing to take a look while you do that."

She waits for an answer.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Cyr floats over to Ryder, doing his best to shrug in midair, which it turns out is kind of hard to do. "Flying is just, a thing you do here, I guess? Or not. I don't quite get it either."

Cyr assumes a floating lotus position as he begins to mutter a prayer to recharge himself a bit after the fight they were just in.

Cyr uses Harness Divine Power to regain 1 spell slot (2/3 left now) and rolls 1 hit die to restore HP.

Geth roll 1d10+3 for Short Rest Healing

Short Rest Healing:
    1d10+3 5 [1d10=2]

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Sug lowers himself to the ground and sits down. "Fine by me. I could use a break."

Edit: Nvm, missed Maggie pointing out we should rest.

Looking more, it's a good idea, as I get my wildshapes back.

Edit2: You suck Geth.

Geth, roll 2d8+4 for Short Rest Hit Die

Short Rest Hit Die:
    2d8+4 7 [2d8=2, 1]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Maggie cautiously approaches within 30ft of the glass chest, hoping flight still works through the archway. Once withing 30ft, she casts Mage Hand and open the chest with an ethereal hand of magic.

Flying lazily around, using mage hand, this is wizard L-I-V-I-N-G!

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Maggie

You feel a change in gravity, but you’re still flying.

I’d like you to tell me what you think you see in the chest.

• Options
    Maggie thinks she sees an amulet of some sort. An Amulet of the Planes sure would be handy right now!

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Maggie

Inside the chest is indeed an amulet!

1jntc3z953uq.jpeg

You take it from the chest without issue. It is obviously magical. You sense it requires attunement.

Likelihood:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The 69ers

With that, your short rest is over.

The next floating rock is just a short flight away. After that you’ll have another hop to the observatory. Go when you’re ready.

What was a bright pinprick on the horizon is now clearly a vessel heading to the observatory. It is, without a shadow of doubt, a colossal disembodied goat skull that has been retrofitted with engines, bow thrusters and a 50 year old warship propeller. It’s around 300 feet ‘east’ and 200 feet ‘above’ your current position.

9f2414jc0e0u.jpeg

• Options
    Geth roll 2d10+4 for Short Rest

Since we did the rest, might as well get the HP back

Short Rest:
    2d10+4 23 [2d10=9, 10]

• Options
    "That ship looks rad as hell!" Sug says. "Probably not great that it's going the same place we are."

Sug lifts off the ground. "Alright then , let's grab Ryder and go. Better we are on solid ground before it arrives. I think it can outstrip us pretty easily if we're flying about."

• Options
    edited May 2022
    The 69ers

Your flight is uninterrupted, though you feel the wind increasing as you draw nearer to the observatory.

Before you land on the next rock you notice the foundations of a maze—what once were walls are now no higher than your knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RPkakVp2vk

You spot three insectile creatures curled up asleep right at the midpoint of the rock next a large chest made from pristine white marble.

cvm8l5cg01xr.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    "Seems a little small for a maze." Sug says, then points to the creatures. "Normally I'd say let's go for it but feels like we might still be a little light in the firepower. We should probably keep heading to the observatory to try and get out of here."

• Options
    "No argument from me, Sug."

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    If you’re happy to let sleeping rust monsters lie, you’ve one flight left.

Make special note of which two are carrying Ryder for no ominous reason.

• Options
    I'm happy to skip them.

Sug is one of the two carrying Ryder.

• Options
    Maggie puts on the amulet for lack of anywhere else to put it that won't create unintended effects. She will be the other Ryder-bearer.

"Keep the pace slow, Sug. While I can fly, I appear to fly slower than the rest of you."

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The 69ers

Lyn and Cyr take the lead as Maggie and Sug pick up Ryder. You make it about half way to the observatory when a flock of native astral creatures blindside you at full speed! Tentacled beasts that glow from within like lava lamps.

Wind whips around you, forcing you to shout to be heard. The large floating rocks that dot this strange sky slowly begin to spin, weightless in the astral void.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMdJTGtwCVo&list=PL0FBDE87A34B6D290&index=3

Roll for initiative!

The creatures take a long swing right, circling back to block your path.

6oqqqsq6pe24.jpeg

They are lead by a huge pack leader. An alpha of their kind.

9csz5db0epem.jpeg

Shadows flit across you at high speed! Damn! There are more of them 30 feet above you! Another huge alpha guides them, surely the mate of the first.

Map:
    gaoaexrxc7dz.png

sr03g3ke5mqf.png

25saeyjvj7u8.png

Geth roll 1d20+4 for Lower Pack
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Upper Pack

Lower Pack:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]
    Upper Pack:
    1d20+4 16 [1d20=12]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Init

Init:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+2 8 [1d20=6]

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

I'm kinda sick and might be out of it for a few days, so if I need to be skipped or just robotically move/attack go for it.

Initiative:
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Initiative Order
    1. Sug
    2. Lyn
    3. Upper Pack
    4. Lower Pack
    5. Maggie
    6. Ryder
    7. Cyr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okh3vczOSAY&list=PL_RvB1mPGDor3jiHxQgTZ7RdLrccZGbKa&index=68

No rush gang.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Sug looks around, "This doesn't look good." His free arm whips around, quickly transforming himself into his star covered form. He holds off on an attack just yet, unsure if these creatures were going to attack them, or if there might be another means to avoid them.

Distance-wise, I think they are too far away for most everything I can do, and I don't really want to move up ahead of everyone else, so I'm just going to take the Dodge action this turn.

I am using a wildshape to go into Starry form, but not using the Star arrow this turn.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Lyn zips straight upwards to attack the closest creature. #9
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Spear Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Spear Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Unarmed Attack
    Geth, roll 1d4+3 for Unarmed Damage

Spear Attack:
    1d20+6 25 [1d20=19]
    Spear Damage:
    1d8+4 9 [1d8=5]
    Unarmed Attack:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]
    Unarmed Damage:
    1d4+3 5 [1d4=2]

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Lyn

You fly straight towards the tentacled creature and clobber it! It careens off into another one and they both explode!

Two floating blobs of orange energy are left behind in their wake, static electricity charging between them. A strange material indeed…

#9 and #8 are down!