As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Ultraman Arc July 26! teaser on latest page!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I've read mixed stuff about Black Sun. I'll probably watch it once I'm done with Fuuto PI

I did not expect Fuuto PI to have those flashes of violence and gore

Also didn't expect Fuuto PI to be so horny

I sure missed Shotaro, Philip, Terui, and (yes even) Akiko though

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I’ve heard folks say it’s toned down from the manga, which feels like it’s saying a lot

Not sure if Weekly Big Comic Spirits functions on a similar ratings system as Jump does (where there’s a little card with the physical editions where readers rank the week’s chapters and comment, which Shueisha uses as its guide for which series are doing well and which are sinking), but that’s basically one of the oldest tricks in the industry to keep readers supporting your comic (and, thus, your job)

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    A new picture gives a better look at an upcoming new enemy for Kamen Rider Geats.
    e4djEiuh.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    hxa0uhnaudmz.jpeg
    TONIGHT

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I finished Fuuto PI and what the heck?? I need more, I need resolution!!

Hopefully S2 doesn’t take long to make

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Okay hey for anyone else watching Black Sun, episode three, there’s a track I’m trying to figure out if they’re doing a different Ishinomori Hero nod:
    When Kujira is coming to take the Kingstone from Kotaro, there’s a theme that plays and I am trying to figure out if it’s me, if it’s a coincidence or if they actually are doing a nod to, of all things, Jiro’s theme from Kikaida:

https://youtu.be/u6ODN5UN3rA

Vs

https://youtu.be/SCEcb9hX5gQ

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

I doubt we’ll ever get them in the show but god I love the implementation of the legacy driver Buckle armor designs

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    i'm on the other side from you, i really dislike the legacy gimmicks this year. i think the clear plastic looks really cheap and tacky

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    A new poster for the Revice/Geats crossover-film reveals a few guests are throwing their hats into the ring.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

@Reynolds unfortunately I don't, but I'd recognize that P.P.P. Tokyo branding anywhere.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    New previews of upcoming powerups for Geats are up, and a new rider -with a new style of belt, too. And a neat ability that lets them reuse props in a cool way, so hey, i'm for it.

This week's episode was great fun as well
    Welcome back, Tycoon!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

I bet hailtothekale can identify those wrestlers.

CAN identify that quarry if you watch your average Super Sentai season though.

• Options
    Movie rider has a clearer image now

Heavy Machinery+Elk wasn’t a combo I’d expect but it works surprisingly well

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Rakuten has a product listing up for the single of Trust • Last’s full version; it will finally be out on February eighth:

https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/17366925/?scid=af_pc_etc&sc2id=af_101_0_0

Presumably for North American fans iTunes in this region should have it sometime around then, if not shortly after (the TV size has already been up there for a few months) at a far more affordable price for the two tracks than the physical release’s ¥4840

EDIT: looks like there's going to be a limited release version with an alternate color scheme version of the DX Beat Raise Buckle, not sure if this one is it or not though

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    New from Toei Tokusatsu Fan Club: Hurricanger with DonBrothers special

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey folks, what's a Kamen Rider show that's pretty accessible? My only KR experience is Geats.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Build is my go-to recommendation

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Hey folks, what's a Kamen Rider show that's pretty accessible? My only KR experience is Geats.

My big recommend would be W/Double. It's probably my favorite, and was popular enough that the stars/characters kept getting spin-off movies and showing up in crossovers. It even got a sequel anime this year.

Edit: That's accessible as in 'easy to watch and good' but not 'available to legally own/stream'. Like only Kuuga, Ryuki and Zero-One seem to be on Tubi.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    “TOKU” has Agito and Faiz but their subs are reportedly atrocious, particularly for a service that requires a subscription fee

EDIT: here we go; my guess is Toei gave them the scripts and they just ran them through machine translation and left it at that:
    qmvj6cjbky84.jpeg
    ynntdvzfu1s3.jpeg
    bcd8j7jd1hlq.jpeg
    qx01958zoguz.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ex-Aid's a good one. Double and Den-O are fun though they're still in the two-week story format where a good chunk of them are filler.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @IronKnuckle's Ghost do you want something with a more concrete storyline, or something that's a bit more monster of the week?

Monster of the Week: Kamen Rider W/Double is fantastic, and does a lot of strong character work. If you want something with a good ongoing plot, then Kamen Rider Build or Ex-Aid are both very strong. Kamen Rider Gaim is pretty solid too, if dark - it was written by Gen Urbochi.

Of the Reiwa stuff (to clarify, Kamen Rider is divided up based on when it was made - the orignal stuff is Show era, Heisei covers from Kuuga to Decade, Neo-Heisei is from Double up to Zi-O, and Reiwa is the current era, start with Zero-One), Kamen Rider Saber is actually surprisingly good. Zero-One is funish, but really suffered from covid and flounders writing wise.

I'd say go with Double or Build as your starting points, and branch off from there - Ex-Aid is really good again, as is Gaim. The recent Kamen Rider Black Sun is on Amazon prime and is very good, but it's a remake of a showa era showa era show and is very, very dark

• Options
    Also there’s Black Sun now; it’s a reimagining of Black, with a lot more focus on politics (particularly the 70s political revolution, how it petered out and how that legacy affects modern Japanese politics) than Rider shows normally engage with, but you can go in fairly fresh. It’s available on Prime now after that weird period those first few days where it wasn’t propagating in Prime libraries properly outside of Amazon Japan

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Speaking of Prime and Toku, at some point Prime started carrying the director’s cut of Keira Amemiya’s Hakaider

https://youtu.be/zcIfV7yIH1A

https://youtu.be/RjApJaXt_xU

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Ex-Aid's a good one. Double and Den-O are fun though they're still in the two-week story format where a good chunk of them are filler.

With Double, while it's Monster of the week/fillerish, i will say the advantage is it means it's carried by really strong character work - Shotaro, Phillip, Terui & Aoi are all really well realized characters overall, even if i wish they'd gone a bit more on Aoi being serious instead of shrill (because when she pulls out the "actually, my dad was a PI and i know my shit" stuff, she's awesome)

• Options
    I'd say go with Double or Build as your starting points, and branch off from there - Ex-Aid is really good again, as is Gaim. The recent Kamen Rider Black Sun is on Amazon prime and is very good, but it's a remake of a showa era showa era show and is very, very dark

Yeah, probably will wanna avoid Amazons for the same reason as it leans into "This is for adults!" as a reason not to tell a happy story. Nothing wrong with dark but Amazons can get pretty bleak.

On avoiding due to it being bad, you should steer clear of Kamen Rider Taisen, a movie released during Gaim's time which is more or less the comic-book version of Marvel's Civil War but for dumber reasons. Not helped by the ending coming down to a 'Which side should win' vote.
    A flower. SERIOUSLY?

• Options

Kuuga if you want older (2000) and not too gimmicky
    W/Double if you want not as old (2009) and a little gimmicky
    Zero-One if you want newer (2019) and more gimmicky (lots of form changes)

I would say those are the most accessible, and Kuuga and Zero-One have official english sub releases.

Build is probably a solid entry point too. If you like Geats, Ryuki has a similar theme. Most seasons have their merits, but like Gaim and Ex-Aid are so damn weird I’d recommend looking into those after watching one or two other seasons first

And OOO is the best season :p

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    And OOO is the best season :p

Just avoid it's 10th Anniversary special.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I know folks really like it, but man OOO did nothing for me. I even watched the whole thing!

And Den-O wasn't much better for me either.

I think they did their respective things well, but I guess I just wasn't interested in them.

• Options
    I’m definitely like that with Den-O. People love the shit out of that season, it got a ton of movies, and I’ve tried several times to watch it and I keep losing interest

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Is a matter of taste. Myself, think that OOO had some filler at the middle, and the humor is not for everybody, and it still had the limitations of the MotW format that later became more obvious with Fouze, but the character work was very impressive and the show's arc truly tied everything together.

The movies all sucked though lol.

• Options
    Following Ryuki’s BD release at the start of the month, Black will hit North American BD on February 28th:

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I finished black sun tonight and am in awe that Toei still released that given everything in episode 10.

Just an amazingly, openly political swing of the bat, all but saying “THIS IS ABOUT THE LDP,” particularly given everything happening with the Unification Church scandal

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    wizard was way better than everyone said. perfectly fine season

• Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    I finished black sun tonight and am in awe that Toei still released that given everything in episode 10.

Just an amazingly, openly political swing of the bat, all but saying “THIS IS ABOUT THE LDP,” particularly given everything happening with the Unification Church scandal

It's quite, but bits like that, or Zero-One's having a enby character played with an enby actor are giving me the vibe that Toku might be really pushing on being polictically aware and moving with the times. Which is cool as fuck!

Now just give us a lady kamen rider as the lead, you cowards.

• Options
    KING-OHGER

expavgrhdv86.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    It's a pretty simple look as far as color-patterns go. I wouldn't be too surprised if it's a bit more serious if only to give something to Power Rangers to use seeing the previous two teams might be too out there for conversion's sake.