As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guffawedcast Thread [Podcast Thread]

ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
zwZvUV4.jpg

Guffawedcasts are jolly japes that you can listen to throughout your day to forget your troubles.

There's life all around you, and most of the time you just want to ignore it.

What are your favourite guffawedcasts?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm all caught up on Loremen and now im sad I have to wait for new eps.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I do kind of wish they would go a tad more indepth on the stories and myths they're talking about, but also I mostly just listen to it for Alasdair and James talking about whatever so it's not really a deal breaker

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I do kind of wish they would go a tad more indepth on the stories and myths they're talking about, but also I mostly just listen to it for Alasdair and James talking about whatever so it's not really a deal breaker

If you're interested in the myths it's at best a decent jumping off-point - the amount of research they do is absolutely minimal, so I don't expect a lot of depth. I'm mostly there for the gentle bants and soothing nonsense.

In one of the recent episodes James managed to mispronounce (among other things) Magellan, which was a new low even for him.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I liked how the latest Rude Tales had an "after credits" moment of the players reacting to the session-end cliffhanger, that was really cute n' fun

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The episode was really pushing my "skip literally everything Tim says" buttons.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    I wanted to get back into Rude Tales since I fell off during the Ruleshaven arc and sheesh there's like 20 more episodes. Guess I'll never get back to it.

• Options
    I just put podcasts on when I'm doing other things. It's amazing how quick you burn through them.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I envy all you podcast heads who can walk and chew gum absorb information from a podcast at the same time

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    yeah, I have adhd and while my wellbutrin keeps the brain spiders mostly contained trying to focus on two activities isn't really possible for me.

• Options
    I envy all you podcast heads who can walk and chew gum absorb information from a podcast at the same time

Oh there's not much absorption going on. That's why I mostly listen to nonsense.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Oh there's not much absorption going on. That's why I mostly listen to nonsense.

I listened to the Sangfielle arc of FaTT in its entirety and enjoyed it quite a bit. I couldn’t tell you three things that happened in it. All I know is that Austin Walker’s voice remains extremely soothing to me

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    for me it's not even like I appreciate it while it passes between my ears then forget, I am either fully paying attention to the podcast and not doing anything else or it's like it's not even playing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It's why I can't listen to a lot of actual play podcasts, for the most part

If I have to pay too much attention, it doesn't work for me

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well I only listen to podcasts literally while walking or driving, does that count as doing two things

• Options
    I can listen to podcasts and make silly mistakes while working.

• Options
    Can you listen to a podcast while patting your head and rubbing your tummy?

• Options
    Whoa Nicole Beyer has managed to delightfully snatch the "drunkest ad read I've ever heard" crown from Rob Zacny, well done Nicole

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

The only tweets mero has made since the bodega bodega split up are to talk to Jan and austin

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I hope Griffin hooks up with Ron Funches and gets him on the pod.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Woof Mr. Compulsory Military Service on todays Even More News is rather too rich for my blood, surprised theyre nodding along with this shit

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Woof Mr. Compulsory Military Service on todays Even More News is rather too rich for my blood, surprised theyre nodding along with this shit

Cody and Katie really aren't good at pushing back with guests at all. Remember when Marc Cuban was on the show?

• Options
    I most certainly do, fucking bizarre

• Options
    A while back I started listening to the Psych rewatch podcast, because "hey I like psych, I like Timothy Omudson, this could be fun." And the first season was actually pretty ok, they brought in the head writer and James Roday Rodriguez a couple of times and talked about all the influences they had, in Rodriguez case he would talk about how he learned to write and direct for tv while on the show, and guests would discuss all the parodies or homages in various episodes -it was interesting behind the scenes tv commentary.

And I'm not sure when it stopped being that kind of show, but I'm halfway through their season 2 rewatches and I realised there's now 10% of run time given over to the hosts complimenting each other's hair, 25% reminiscing about their on set drinking exploits, and 25% ad breaks. The actual episode might get five or ten minutes attention, at best.

So ... Probably gonna drop that one.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Behind the Bastards is doing a four part series on Clarence Thomas, and based on the first episode I'm surprised the guy isn't more fucked up than he already is. His grandpa was such a hardass that he removed the heater from his truck because he thought luxuries like heating made people lazy.

• Options
    Clarence Thomas is a fucking blood soaked maniac and his wife is even worse maybe probably

Also, catching up on the Gerst Jeffman Filibuster Project in a shocking turn Mayor Grumpus of Frown Town doesnt approve of the kitty kat game

• Options
    I have fallen way behind on watching Jeff's stuff because on YouTube a midroll ad runs on his videos roughly every two minutes or something, it's fucking ridiculous

• Options
    I opened up Pocketcasts after a week of not having time to listen to podcasts and OH GOD

• Options
    That's right.

All podcasts were cancelled on Wednesday evening.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Late to the Blank Check episode, but for whatever awkwardness there was with Colin as a guest Lin Manuel-Miranda fit in perfectly with those nerds.

I also fully agree with Sims' opinion of not wanting to be there for them requesting a birthday rap for Ben.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

For me, the prime listening times are dishwashing and laundry folding. Sometimes while cooking, if it’s a recipe I know/don’t have to think about.

To the point where I despise dishes or laundry if my phone/headphones aren’t near my. But those tasks are just too… mentally-nothing for me to do without.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Also TAZ Ethersea ended “Season 1” with the latest episode. Overall I liked the arc, I really like the world, but the ending still felt kind of flat. Like they didn’t know if they were ending the characters (so that if they do another season of Ethersea they can bring in new characters, as they said they might) or leaving them open to come back for another season.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I need some new shows to follow. I listen to around 20 hours of stuff a week, and tend to binge on something specific and then get bored of it for a while. But I'm trying to actually catch up on things more and listen to them regularly as they release new episodes.

My current list is:

- Stuff You Should Know
    - The Infinite Monkey Cage
    - Rude Tales - I am well behind though, currently at Rules Haven
    - Yo is this Racist?
    - Some More News - only SMN, not EMN, I only like the more scripted stuff
    - NoClip
    - Ty and That Guy
    - Adam Buxton podcast
    - Just started listening to a History of England series, and got one to try which is about history of Africa

I used to listen to Behind the Bastards but I had to quit because Robert's style, and specifically his guests, started to really irritate me. I tried dipping back in recently with his episodes about crypto and I couldn't get through them.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions. I'd like something kind of informative and serialised. But not a fecking murder mystery. I'm sure there's good ones out there but the sheer number of ads I hear for podcasts about murder has put me right off the genre.

Basically I'm too cheap to buy enough audiobooks to actually fill my work week so I want to substitute podcasts instead.

Edit - more creators other than white dudes would be good because that list is... yeah.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Loremen is good, mildly informative, but not serialized. Unfortunately it is also the whitest of dudes, like I’m pretty sure alasdair Beckett king is actually a wall paint color.

tynic on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    History of England series is making me think you may be interested in checking out the Revolutions Podcast (if you haven’t listened to it already).

It focuses on one revolution at a time, and ran from 2013 until just a bit ago. So there are a lot of episodes to go through. But you can also like, pretty easily listen to one revolution, take a break for a while, pick it back up, etc.

I’m just starting to work through it myself (I also enjoyed his History of Rome podcast back in the day).

It’s a one man show by Mike Duncan so doesn’t help at all on the white dude creator front though, unfortunately. I know the joke is that the collective noun for a group of middle aged white guys is “a podcast”, but, that does seem to be getting better overall with time.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    If you wish a female hosted history podcast, The History of the Crusades by Sharyn Eastaugh is wonderful! She's finished the holy land crusades, the teutonic crusades, and is now on the Reconquista, (aprox 1050 AD) at the moment.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Have you checked out It Could Happen Here? Robert Evans doesn't show up on it that much, and it's got a lot of good, informative content. I also really like QAnon Anonymous and Fever Dreams to keep up with the weird, dangerous people in the world.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    The podcast version of In Our Time is always excellent history, plus you get an extra ten minutes where at the end you get to hear the producer ask everyone who wants tea and coffee

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Have you checked out It Could Happen Here? Robert Evans doesn't show up on it that much, and it's got a lot of good, informative content. I also really like QAnon Anonymous and Fever Dreams to keep up with the weird, dangerous people in the world.

I did listen to that when it first started but I got to a point where most of my podcasts were triggering my anxiety and making me feel miserable so I culled some of the worst ones.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Check out Black Cowboys, by Zaron Burnett, imo.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke