As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Palestine From the River to the Sea

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A good yardstick for weirdness is when three feet get involved

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    My jelqshake elongates all the boys to a yard

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    A good yardstick for weirdness is when three feet get involved

I want to hate this so much

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I wank to hate that so much

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    qjoenq13aeee.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Cock like an Egyptian

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 30
    Huh, apparently the pharaohs hung dong? Who knew? 🤔

edit: brb, gotta go mummify my dick

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Instructions on hieroglyphs unclear, penis now looks like 𓆭

Although looking at the list, there are some possibilities

𓂺
    𓂩
    𓄗
    𓊽

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Egyptians practiced hierarchical proportion in their art, meaning more important figures looked bigger

I'm gonna need to see a mummy dick before I believe this highly reputable scientific video

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    haven't seen this much demand for mummy dick since The Scorpion King released

• Options
    edited April 6
    Look, I ain’t huggin no damn mummy

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    No way Rashida Tlaib ever gets an apology from senior party figures or the censure revoked.

• Options
    This thread took a sudden change of direction

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    ❤️ @Garlic Bread

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Good shit.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Here's a list of organizations we can donate to or volunteer for. Suggestions welcome, updated daily.

14 reputable charities operating in Gaza : The list includes the likes of the Occupied Palestinian Territories Humanitarian Fund, the Red Cross & Crescent, UNICEF, and Médecins Sans Frontières, to name a few
    UNRWA : United Nations Relief and Work Agency for Palestine refugees in the near east

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    cgfi8at75jmu.jpg

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    whoever unstickied this is a coward

• Options
    Just gonna need to keep it bumped

Keep elongating its presence if you will

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The trajectory of this forum is really depressing these days. Can’t even give the most cursory support to victims of a genocide.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah uhhh

what the fuck

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I can post enough to keep this at the top of the page. I’m a big fat loud mouth when I want to be

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Ok I'll bite.

That phrase is in the founding charter of Hamas. It calls for the genocide against the Jewish people. No matter how you feel about the atrocities being carried out by Bibi Netanyahu's murderous regime you shouldn't support that phrase. Genocide should not be condoned just because it's directed against a superior force. But putting that up and center on the forums implies the mods and or Penny Arcade support harm against Jewish people.

I'd ask that for the sake of our Jewish friends on these forums that you change the title to something less inflammatory. (I propose "Ceasefire now!" or something similar.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 11
    Maddoc was warned for this.
    Ok I'll bite.

That phrase is in the founding charter of Hamas. It calls for the genocide against the Jewish people. No matter how you feel about the atrocities being carried out by Bibi Netanyahu's murderous regime you shouldn't support that phrase. Genocide should not be condoned just because it's directed against a superior force. But putting that up and center on the forums implies the mods and or Penny Arcade support harm against Jewish people.

I'd ask that for the sake of our Jewish friends on these forums that you change the title to something less inflammatory. (I propose "Ceasefire now!" or something similar.)

n9skgb27s01v.gif

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The phrase has origins beyond Hamas, and it in no way directly calls for any violence, much less genocide, in its phrasing or usage. That's some All Lives Matter logic.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ok I'll bite.

"Our Jewish Friends" are well aware that Israel is acting as genocidal colonizers, and that "from the river to the sea" is a rallying cry to decolonize Palestinian land. If you view the phrase as a threat, that speaks more to your mindset as a colonizer apologist than it does about the slogan itself. So, thank you, but no thank you to the attempted tone policing of an oppressed people.

Use a more milquetoast slogan if you like, but don't barge in and insist the that people adhere to passive anodyne terminology so as not to offend anyone during their fight for their existence.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    As far as I can ever tell (and I've done a lot of digging here), the "call to genocide" line comes from Hasbarists on the Israeli propaganda beat, more than any single Palestinian or other Muslim/Arab boogeyman of choice

Projection of the Kahanist ethos

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Having friends in RL who are Jewish and who are most definitely not Likud apologists, that phrase makes them profoundly uncomfortable. It has been used far too often to imply violence against Jewish people even if its literal meaning seems more benign. I don't know about Jewish people on these forums, but people whom I love and respect in real life think that phrase is far too upsetting just to ignore.

(You ever have that awkward moment when you agree with someone criticizing Israel for what's happening, and then after a few moments you realize they're a raging anti-semite? Please don't be that person @Garlic Bread . Change the thread title.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I suspect garlic bread has put a great deal of thought into it already, but I'm sure your dipshit condescending genocide apologia is appreciated.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited April 10
    Ok I'll bite.

The phrase has been around since the 60s without genocidal context, seeking a secular democratic state. An equivalent and arguably more inflammatory version is in the Likud founding charter of 1977 “between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty.” Hamas was started in 1987. From what I’ve found in an admittedly short time searching people only reference the phrase as appearing in Hamas’s 2017 charter.

rhylith on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Having friends in RL who are Jewish and who are most definitely not Likud apologists, that phrase makes them profoundly uncomfortable. It has been used far too often to imply violence against Jewish people even if its literal meaning seems more benign. I don't know about Jewish people on these forums, but people whom I love and respect in real life think that phrase is far too upsetting just to ignore.

(You ever have that awkward moment when you agree with someone criticizing Israel for what's happening, and then after a few moments you realize they're a raging anti-semite? Please don't be that person "Garlic Bread" . Change the thread title.)

Say what you will about the Washington Post, but if they could have pinned the phrase on Hamas more definitively than this I think they would have, don't you think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/14/river-sea-free-palestine-meaning/

2rwvev2j4rtw.png

Also what's that last part there say?

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 10
    Also, here's liberal* Jewish paper The Forward publishing an article on the matter

Dismissing or ignoring what this phrase means to the Palestinians is yet another means by which to silence Palestinian perspectives. Citing only Hamas leaders’ use of the phrase, while disregarding the liberationist context in which other Palestinians understand it, shows a disturbing level of ignorance about Palestinians’ views at best, and a deliberate attempt to smear their legitimate aspirations at worst.

Most troubling for me, the belief that a “free Palestine” would necessarily lead to the mass annihilation of Jewish Israelis is rooted in deeply racist and Islamophobic assumptions about who the Palestinians are and what they want.

Rather than just lecture Palestinians and their supporters about how certain phrases make them feel, supporters of Israel should get more curious about what Palestinians themselves want. There isn’t a single answer (there never is), but assuming you already know is no way to work towards a just and lasting peace

https://forward.com/opinion/415250/from-the-river-to-the-sea-doesnt-mean-what-you-think-it-means/

*(should note that The Forward trends lib-Zionist or non-Zionist rather than anti-Zionist, for firmly Left Jewish sources that go harder on the matter I recommend Jewish Currents for a Diasporic viewpoint, or +972 Magazine for an Israeli Leftist viewpoint)

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite.

The phrase has been around since the 60s without genocidal context, seeking a secular democratic state. An equivalent and arguably more inflammatory version is in the Likud founding charter of 1977 “between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty.” Hamas was started in 1987. From what I’ve found in an admittedly short time searching people only reference the phrase as appearing in Hamas’s 2017 charter.

It also includes expelling all the Jews who have immigrated there, and their descendants who have no where to go. It is a phrase with a lot of weight to people who post on this forum and else where. People can respect that or not. Up to you really. But the idea that it is some new objection, or the phrase has not been used in terrible ways is ahistoric.

• Options
    Why do you support genocide?

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    ceasefire now is a policy position (that has been successfully watered down to aid now)

a free palestine from the river to the sea is what any reasonable person should want to see

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Every call for freedom is problematic when the people being oppressed are the lowest point of concern.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Every call for freedom is problematic when the people being oppressed are the lowest point of concern.

It makes people uncomfortable though

• Options
    edited April 10
    Looking at all the murdered Palestinians, wistfully lamenting that they weren’t saying the right words to be worthy of living

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I don't. I also don't support making this place hostile to other forumers. It is an easy task.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

I don't. I also don't support making this place hostile to other forumers. It is an easy task.

Doing nothing often is

04xkcuvaav19.png