As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's Actually Zero Difference Between Good & [Bad] Food

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Recently discovered spinach tastes a lot sweeter when you sautee/stir fry it up with some garlic. Not sure but being fresh instead of frozen might also be important? to the flavor not just being intensely bitter. And maybe the season.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Garlic improves everything. It is known.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Garlic improves everything. It is known.

Except the BWW garlic wings, those things somehow actually manage to go overboard with garlic. It's like garlic concentrate with no wing behind it, and I say this as somebody who will sneak a teaspoon of pre-minced garlic when cooking and munch on it.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I am usually against single use gadgets, but my garlic crusher has earned it's place in my kitchen.

If you cook with garlic a lot (I would say big chunk of the posters in this thread do) I would recommend getting one. Much faster than mincing garlic.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Brainleech wrote: »

The cooking thread is closed but luckily we still have this cooking thread. Behold, beef bourguingnon! It was very good, good recipe.

wu5iz6ec60ql.jpg

Had it with rice on the side, probably could have used a vegetable side as well but eh. Treat yourself to a bowl of meat stewed in wine!

Some day I'll learn how to spell bourguingnon.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Karl wrote: »
    I am usually against single use gadgets, but my garlic crusher has earned it's place in my kitchen.

If you cook with garlic a lot (I would say big chunk of the posters in this thread do) I would recommend getting one. Much faster than mincing garlic.

Does it peel the garlic for me? That's where like 95% of my garlic prep time goes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Recently discovered spinach tastes a lot sweeter when you sautee/stir fry it up with some garlic. Not sure but being fresh instead of frozen might also be important? to the flavor not just being intensely bitter. And maybe the season.

Spinach is also flavour-buddies with nutmeg.

I've never had intensely bitter spinach before.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Does it peel the garlic for me? That's where like 95% of my garlic prep time goes.

Yes, the garlic gets squeezed out and the peel gets left behind inside the press.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

We had one for a while until one day the clove was apparently stronger than whatever cheap metal it was made from. It managed to twist the little crusher part which got itself wedged against the side and rendered the whole thing useless.

With a sharp chef's knife I can peel, dice and then crush a couple of cloves of garlic in under a minute which is way less time than it used to take me to clean out the little plastic grate.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

Cut off the tip, then smash it across the middle with the knife handle- the outer layer sloughs right off!

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mrpaku wrote: »

Cut off the tip, then smash it across the middle with the knife handle- the outer layer sloughs right off!

Flat of the blade pressed on top and then slapped with the ball of your palm works best for me, but I've never been very athletic or accurate with hitting things.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Y’all don’t scoop your pre-minced garlic out of a jar?

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Full English Breakfast | Basics with Babish (8 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2POMVVED1A

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »

Yeah I do that but I still have to pull the peel off it and then both my hands and knife get super sticky.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    It starts losing volatile aromatic compounds rapidly once you cut it so jar/tube preminced tends to give much weaker flavor

Meanwhile actual garlic cloves last years

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    My new favorite kitchen tool is this guy

4j461zs9kvjy.png

because my kids won't eat apples unless they're fully peeled and quartered, and also it lets me skip some steps on dicing up whole onions

• Options
    Jr.Jr. Registered User regular
    Y’all don’t scoop your pre-minced garlic out of a jar?

i have to confess that I have sometimes ginger garlic paste from a jar instead of making my own instead I should really just make my ownw but sometimes I want to save time after I have already diced up bunches of onion

• Options
    I only use ginger garlic paste to make indian food it comes in jars at your local Indian grocery stores m I have never actually bough jarred garlic by itself without being the ginger garlic paste they see me buy it and I don't think they judge me for buying it but maybe they do it is hard to say i do judge myself for using it as a shortcut sometimes i hate mincing garlic and i am always cooking garlic. ginger is a bit easier to mince for some reason if you ask my opinion on ginger

• Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    It starts losing volatile aromatic compounds rapidly once you cut it so jar/tube preminced tends to give much weaker flavor

Am I storing it wrong? I always tend to have the green sprout in the middle of the clove after like a week or two.

Granted, I'm just throwing it in a wicker bowl in my pantry with the onions.

• Options
    if you remember bean sprouts in my refrigerator i will have a surprise for you later today with a recipe I will cook B) also if you remember the four cans of whipped cream in that picture you will be disappointed because this recipe does not use them my mom just bought a lot because they were on sale B)

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Full English Breakfast | Basics with Babish (8 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2POMVVED1A

What’s that, an excuse to post this? https://youtu.be/EHIHl8Rw6W8

• Options
    edited February 2023
    crzyango wrote: »

Am I storing it wrong? I always tend to have the green sprout in the middle of the clove after like a week or two.

Granted, I'm just throwing it in a wicker bowl in my pantry with the onions.

If it's just starting to form a lily tint shoot in the top of the clove it's harmless, just pull it out when you mince, or eat the shoot too. If it's really growing a serious shoot out quickly, it's probably too moist? If you're storing it in open air outside the fridge, that's all I do too. It's moderately humid here, usually around 70 in the day, and heads of garlic left in a basket in the sun don't sprout that fast... maybe it can happen faster if it's even more humid. I have lost some remains of heads to sprouting occasionally but it's usually not an issue. Dry and dark with airflow is supposed to be the best conditions.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    We get sprouts after a few weeks but that's typically plenty of time to use it all up.

But I agree on minced garlic losing a ton of flavor. For peeling, I smash it with the blade if I'm mincing, cut the end off if I'm slicing.

• Options
    I may have been overexaggerating with "years" :P

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I ate some cauliflower crust pizza last night. I forgot that I have a bad time digesting cauliflower

Shame, because it was delicious

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I ate some cauliflower crust pizza last night. I forgot that I have a bad time digesting cauliflower

Shame, because it was delicious

Sorry. Wife has had both ones from Aldi and ordered at MOD Pizza and liked both.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

We had one for a while until one day the clove was apparently stronger than whatever cheap metal it was made from. It managed to twist the little crusher part which got itself wedged against the side and rendered the whole thing useless.

With a sharp chef's knife I can peel, dice and then crush a couple of cloves of garlic in under a minute which is way less time than it used to take me to clean out the little plastic grate.

I got this kind of garlic press after my other one also broke

garlic-crusher-500x500.jpg

As for peeling, there is also the two bowls and shake method, which looks like witchcraft whenever I see it in a cooking video, but have been assured it works by multiple people

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1fpRywJc8

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the bowl method works but it's a bit involved. The bowls and skins get sticky and there's more cleaning up afterwards than I'd like. I might use it if I had to peel like 50 cloves of garlic, but for like... 3-4 cloves, it's less work to do it by hand.

All the bowl method is doing is bashing the sides of each clove a bunch of times, which loosens the skin. If you're doing just a few cloves, you can just whack them with the flat of your knife, it'll be just as effective and easier cleanup.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I have this rubber roller thing. It's hollow and you stick the garlic inside and then roll them with the rubber tube and it peels them pretty well. But if we're being honest, I normally am too lazy to pull that out and I just whack them with the flat of my blade.

also, don't forget to sprinkle some salt on your garlic as you mince as it will hold it in place.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    The thing about vegetables is if you didn't like them growing up there's a very good chance they just weren't cooked well.

I wrote up this whole thing before realizing I was getting a bit aggressive and deleted it so I'll just say that sometimes people just don't like the taste of things and that's fine. Just because they don't doesn't mean that everything they've ever had has been bad. This is something I run into often since I don't like many things that a lot of people do (broccoli and many other veggies, beer and wine, for example). "Your parents must have just cooked them badly," or "You just haven't had any good beers", etc.

Also people will legit try to tell me I don't actually wear small size shirts when they ask my size. Or they'll make me try a medium first. I'll let y'all guess how many times the medium actually fits.

Oh, I can't stand brussel sprouts at all. It's not a matter of them being well cooked or not. They're the only vegetable I can't stand, and I know all the stuff about them being better now and such. Doesn't matter, they're completely unpalatable to me.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I use jarred garlic because it's so much less of a hassle and I'm not getting my fingers sticky. Yeah it's less potent but I can make up for that with even more garlic so it balances out.

• Options
    Korean cooking I hope nobody is mad that the soy sauce is not a korean soy sauce and that the fish sauce is vietnamese I do not know enough about koreanese cooking to say how this will make things taste compared to the Korean taste let me post anpkcture

• Options
    ojoc13754r4r.jpeg

• Options
    ojoc13754r4r.jpeg

• Options
    Oops

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Don’t sweat it

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Pre-peeled packs of whole garlic cloves are a convenient midpoint between fresh garlic, and paste; I freeze them, which seems to keep them fresh enough for a lot of things. (I feel like I got that tip in a past food thread on these very forums, now that I think about it)

• Options
    Let me showcase the kitchen here is the big pot I Am cooping in the kitchen you can see the ingredients in the side too the ingredients are bean sprouts, onion, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil , and later there will be green onion and seasame seeds also there is anchovies too not pictures

u5jpbeerjypr.jpeg

If you notice there are to microwaves the one over the stove broke and I was so happy because I do not like having a microwave in the house due to the radiation but then my mom got a new microwave and it went on the counter because she did not want to pay the installer and unfortunately she did not listen when I said we do not need a microwave in this house. I don’t use this microwave and I make my mom tell me before she uses it so Emma and I can go outside to avoid the radiation there is no way to make these things safe at the dentist they use a whole lead covering to product you from the radiation and the microwave doesn’t have anything to protect you but if they put lead in the microwave it would poison your food too like I said you can’t make these safe I tel my mom not to eat out of the microwave but she does not listen it really worries me she will get cancer from the microwave and it makes me worried too I unplug it at night my mom yells if I unplug it during the day . Here are ingredients

phn8itpbk75i.jpeg

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I have good news for you re: microwaves. Specifically, they are not X-rays; in fact they're literally right on the other side of the visible spectrum from X-rays. The green LED clock on your microwave is emitting significantly higher frequency EM radiation than the microwave itself.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Don’t sweat it

Alternatively, do sweat it (your meats)

This discussion has been closed.