As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guess whos going to Seattle

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Its me!

Looks like I'll be visiting the Seattle area for a few days in early October. I've never been! Now I know we have a few folks around here who are in/from the area, and my partner and I have very few ideas on what to do. So Seattle folks, where are your favorite places to grab a bite, or have a drink, or shop, or just to explore and hang?

And hey, maybe we'll run into each other while I'm there.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I technically live here now but I haven't really done anything or learned a gat-dang thing about it yet

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Seattle is pretty dang fantastic. We have lots of museums, an aquarium, a zoo, all kinds of club scenes, an arcade, farmers markets, chocolate factory tours, a variety of interesting neighborhoods, lots of parks (if the weather is kind), cool architecture, great food from around the world, lots of water, and lots of live music and entertainment.

I've been here for over a decade and am a hardcore wanderer and I still keep finding cool new places all the time.

The online Event Calendars are your friends here for getting started. Your vibe and interests play a major part in where to hang out here, and transportation is a factor - parking is rare and expensive, but we have an okay bus system. Hard to go wrong with Pike Place, and Ballard or Fremont are fun neighborhoods to poke around in with good dining options and less of the rough parts of city life. Downtown and Seattle Center (Space Needle area) have lots of sights and museums .

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2022
    Seattle's fake, sorry
    Everything you've seen in the media is just Bellingham with a false skyline superimposed

tynic on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    You have got to try that tossed salad and scrambled eggs.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I am a figment of your imagination.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Another Seattle thread?!?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    @Incenjucar tell me more about the arcade...

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    don't forget your flannels and ennui!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Bucketman wrote: »

Gameworks! It's two stories, has a bar/diner with good food, games from various eras including a Frogger and a Beatsaber VR setup, and has a carnival games section so you can get tickets for prizes. A number of bars here also have some games and/or pinball machines.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    You didn't let me guess! You gotta leave space yo.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'm gonna guess anyway.

uhhh, Steve Buscemi?

Oh I know! Jennifer Lopez!

Stephen King?

I give up, who is it?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    It's me! I'm gonna be in/around Seattle in two weeks!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Someday I’ll go to Seattle and I’ll make a thread and it will be fantastic.

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    It's me! I'm gonna be in/around Seattle in two weeks!

Sadly I won't be there for 3 more weeks.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Gameworks! It's two stories, has a bar/diner with good food, games from various eras including a Frogger and a Beatsaber VR setup, and has a carnival games section so you can get tickets for prizes. A number of bars here also have some games and/or pinball machines.

I haven't been to Seattle since 2010, and you're telling me that Gameworks on 4th and Pine is still there?

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    The Theo chocolate factory tour is dope because you can eat as much chocolate as you want at the end.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I haven't been to Seattle since 2010, and you're telling me that Gameworks on 4th and Pine is still there?

Yep! It's even getting the revival treatment!
    https://www.geekwire.com/2022/inside-the-revived-gameworks-seattle-arcade-bar-that-opens-this-week/

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    October's a wonderful time to visit, cause we'll have cooled off from summer, but it's not the absolute depths of winter, and you'll actually get some proper rain like as not.

If you're in the area for the first weekend of October, Salmon Days will be happening over in Issaquah (About 15-20 minutes out of Seattle on a good day) and it's a big street fair with some local flavor off the beaten path. Otherwise as noted above, you'll probably want to drop by Pike Place Market for an afternoon, but other than that, it really comes down to what's relevant to your interests cause there's a little something for everyone up here. (Which is why in spite of the Cost of Living, I can't really bring myself to move away)

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I’ll be in Seattle in early November, wish it actually lined up with you being there Bucketman

• Options
    Yeah but don't we actually live somewhat near each other now? I think maybe?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I wanna go to the PNW so bad. I wanna go for a month and just feast like a lord

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    spono wrote: »
    The Theo chocolate factory tour is dope because you can eat as much chocolate as you want at the end.

Oh yeah this is definitely going on the list

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I remember a while ago you said you were working on expanding Mrs Bucketman’s culinary horizons, I reckon Seattle would be a good place for that tbh

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »

Oh yeah this is definitely going on the list

Right next door (literally across the street) from the Theo factory is a great Belgian-style cafe, Brouwer's. Recommended.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    There may or may not be a ton of wildfire smoke still lingering in the air when you come to visit, so you may want to pack a respirator or two with you just in case. It probably won't be as bad as it was in years past, but you never know!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    My best pal and I are strongly considering a December visit, we'll see if it's in the cards

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I remember a while ago you said you were working on expanding Mrs Bucketman’s culinary horizons, I reckon Seattle would be a good place for that tbh

here are a few of my faves in no particular order;

https://www.aerlumeseattle.com/
    https://thehoneyhole.com/
    https://biscuitbitch.square.site/home
    https://www.doughzonedumplinghouse.com/locations

• Options
    Wonderful! We saw Biscuit Bitch on the map and decided to go there, as your now the third person to recommend dough zone, it must be delicious

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I will become the fourth person to recommend Biscuit Bitch, just make sure you order right at the crack of 8:00 or you'll be waiting for a while.

You may also want to take a look into wandering up Cap Hill way, lots of good bars and hangout spots in that part of town.

And while Seattle Center's an obvious tourist draw, the Space Needle is really cool to visit, and I can't recommend the Museum of Popular Culture (MoPOP) enough. I hit it up earlier this week while I was in Seattle for PAX, they've got a bunch of really cool exhibits, including a limited time exhibition for the costume design work of Ruth E. Carter, would highly recommend.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    hrh queen elizabeth the second sure isn't

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My parents had a great time at a glass museum slash store they visited in Seattle. Chihuly Garden and Glass is the name I think.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    My parents had a great time at a glass museum slash store they visited in Seattle. Chihuly Garden and Glass is the name I think.

Located at Seattle Center, right next to the Space Needle.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The air in Seattle is currently choked with wildfire smog. Love this cyberpunk dystopia we find ourselves living in.

• Options
    Oh yeah, what's that has everyone always meets up at during PAX? Part of me wants to go there

• Options
    We are now a week away from my trip. Wife and I are thinking of taking 1 day and visiting a place near/around Seattle. We are deciding between a ferry to Brisbane Island or a bus ride to Levenworth. Does anyone have any experience on which of these would be better to do? Thanks!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I don't know much about (I assume you mean Bainbridge?) Island, but lots of the local folks I've met here all have very good things to say about Leavenworth - good scenery, good food, good vibes - and you'd be going during Oktoberfest season, which is kind of a thing there. Although it looks like the official event is moving the next town over, but there's probably still lots to do in Leavenworth itself.

That being said, it's definitely a bit of a trek compared to Bainbridge, so that might be worth factoring in.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You should check out that CN tower or whatever.

Heard there's a gift shop or fish market something up there.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, what's that has everyone always meets up at during PAX? Part of me wants to go there

The Roanoke.

• Options
    So apparently its going to warm up again and be in the mid 70's next week. I know what that means here, but Seattle folk, with the sea close by and stuff, is that still long sleeve jacket weather, or is that shorts and T-Shirt out by you? (we have humidity so its shorts weather out this way)

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    So apparently its going to warm up again and be in the mid 70's next week. I know what that means here, but Seattle folk, with the sea close by and stuff, is that still long sleeve jacket weather, or is that shorts and T-Shirt out by you? (we have humidity so its shorts weather out this way)

A T-shirt with a light jacket or hoodie would be totally fine. Shorts would probably be okay too, depending on the day. As for your earlier question regarding Leavenworth etc. I would say unless you really love and want to be in the mountains to skip it. Around Octoberfest time it can become kind of a nightmare, unless you are really into crowds. A ferry ride over to one of the islands for a day trip is to me, one of the quintessential PNW experiences.