As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Hour Is Late

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

The Hour Is Late!

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Hour Is Late

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    An Oscar if you will.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    that "Too Damn Late" branded mug, someone at the Megacorp needs to get on it

• Options
    keepwatchingtheskieskeepwatchingtheskies Registered User regular
    Wait is Kris Straub still at the wheel or is Mike indeed letting Jerry get away with this?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Wait is Kris Straub still at the wheel or is Mike indeed letting Jerry get away with this?

What do you mean? This is classic PA right here. Yes, it has been a hot minute since we've had a "Too Damn Late" strip, but it used to be a fairly regular thing back in the day.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

What do you mean? This is classic PA right here. Yes, it has been a hot minute since we've had a "Too Damn Late" strip, but it used to be a fairly regular thing back in the day.

I think it possibly refers to the art style being the "normal" PA style. Because Kris did an amazing job mimicking it for that one strip. But no, this isn't Kris, because Kris' signature isn't anywhere on it. I think the only reason he did that style on the other one was because otherwise it would have been very confusing given the gag.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Agreed, Gabe's outfit is top shelf.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    For the non-americans: Name of the show?

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    It's a parody of The Late Show, which was a late night talk show in the US.

Penny Arcade has done several strips parodying it about game news called The Too Damn Late Show.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Or a parody of late night talk shows in general. There's Late Night, The Late Show and The Late Late Show.

(And plenty of others without "late" in their name.)

dennis on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Man, G4's on the way out. Who could have seen that coming.

The last time I looked at their website, it said "Coming back Fall 2020!" and this was summer 2021 so I had a feeling then that things were not going well.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Man, G4's on the way out. Who could have seen that coming.

The last time I looked at their website, it said "Coming back Fall 2020!" and this was summer 2021 so I had a feeling then that things were not going well.

Honestly? I thought they had already gone. That's not some hot take or criticism. It seemed like they hadn't been relevant to me for a while.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    With Gabe as the sidekick it always felt more like The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon.

• Options
    CrimeRobotCrimeRobot Registered User regular
    Yep, with those glasses and that first panel McMahon belly laugh, that's definitely vintage Carson Tonight Show.

phil-hartman-ed-mc-mahon-snl.gif

"We programmed him to think only of crime!" - Enrico Matassa
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I always preferred their morning show. ;)

zhttg48wons7.jpg

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    keepwatchingtheskieskeepwatchingtheskies Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Never mind, I was being an idiot. Guess I either misremembered or misunderstood what Tycho's remark in the Todd Wonderman post about Mike not letting him "get away with a punchline like that" was about.

I mean, it is a terrible punchline. But by design so I guess that's alright and yeah it is classic.

• Options
    SirBillSirBill Denver, CORegistered User regular
    Sorry to hear about G4, I thought they had a lot of promise on re-launch of G4TV with Adam Sessler who I always loved. But then they decided to fight with the internet and people want lighthearted entertainment, not ideology battles that now consume every corner of the internet. I still really like Adam Sessler but wish he could keep politics out of things.

Maybe it was also too much of a deep callback in the very format of the show, which apparently is also confusing some readers of this exact comic... I thought it was a really good mirror of what G4 was trying to do.