As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV] is the thing you watch all your streaming shows on

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    wait is the Weeknd the person's actual name? The Weeknd? I assumed that was the name of the act/band?

His professional name, like Prince.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I will say its kind of gross/sad a sign of the times? That the only thing that kept them from shooting one of the scenes is they didn't know how to do something physically and not the other absolutely gross part of the scene as written. It's like the Mitchel and Webb skit about killing the poor is it wouldn't work, not that you know you shouldn't kill the poor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

this is the Weeknd's response, which is uh...pretty fucking stupid, but will absolutely work on the people who want to believe him

(also, this looks pretty bad as a TV show and performance, and also kinda seems like it's portraying his character as being incorrect in the scene)

((also, this show isn't out yet, so I guess the idea is that they found out about a small scene where they said rolling stone is irrelevant and tried to take down the show over it????))

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just watched the Animal Control pilot and…yeah…this is exceeding my expectations so far

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Mando has a
    gamera

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Todays Star Wars Bad Batch.
    Okay good on casting a McPoyle as your creepy evil Imperial scientist but these end credits confirmed that one Commando is definitely Scorch. Damn you Filoni! What are you doing to my beloved Delta Squad!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Todays Star Wars Bad Batch.
    Okay good on casting a McPoyle as your creepy evil Imperial scientist but these end credits confirmed that one Commando is definitely Scorch. Damn you Filoni! What are you doing to my beloved Delta Squad!

Good soldiers follow orders

• Options
    I gotta say, I loved Stellen Skaarsgard get to sink his teeth in big important speeches.

But Carl Weathers prancing around speaking the Mandalorian's special blend of pomp and circumstance tones is absolutely chefs kiss.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I gotta say, I loved Stellen Skaarsgard get to sink his teeth in big important speeches.

But Carl Weathers prancing around speaking the Mandalorian's special blend of pomp and circumstance tones is absolutely chefs kiss.

obviously the timelines don't line up, but I would love to see those two characters chew some scenery together

they are absolutely not at all fit to interact in any way and it would be awesome

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I love that as much of a pompous ass he is, Greef Karga is objectively great at his job. Every time we come back to Navarro it's way nicer and more prosperous than it was the last time we were there.

• Options
    RELtasticRELtastic Registered User regular
    Got the same vibes from Karga showing off Navarro that you get from Lando showing off Cloud City, which was awesome. Like proud dads showing off their kids to their best buddy.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wayne Family Adventures continues to be great, and also this chapter caused me to realize that Ivy's voice from the Harley Quinn cartoon has become the new default voice for Ivy when reading her lines.

uaqflx5i1p7d.jpg
    This chapter was a flashback to when Dick Grayson was young and still Robin, and he has just been eaten by a giant plant for the second time because he won't stop poking it while Batman is trying to confront Ivy about attacking a chemical plant.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    I love that as much of a pompous ass he is, Greef Karga is objectively great at his job. Every time we come back to Navarro it's way nicer and more prosperous than it was the last time we were there.

The Mandalorian is actually just the story of Greef getting that drip

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sprout wrote: »

The Mandalorian is actually just the story of Greef getting that drip
    The little droids holding the train from his robe/cloak/whatever is choice

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Absolutely loved Mando Season 3 spoiler

Greef just trying to sell Mando on settling down. It's amusing to me that everyone in his life seems to ignore he's like a mando zealot. "Oh they kicked you out? Awesome brother you can settle down here live your life you're free." I hope at some point the mando does just admit he doesn't need the clan that saved him and he in fact is better off without them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Absolutely loved Mando Season 3 spoiler

Greef just trying to sell Mando on settling down. It's amusing to me that everyone in his life seems to ignore he's like a mando zealot. "Oh they kicked you out? Awesome brother you can settle down here live your life you're free." I hope at some point the mando does just admit he doesn't need the clan that saved him and he in fact is better off without them.
    Perhaps this season's story of redemption will be him coming to realize he doesn't need magic waters but his own faith in himself or Grogu's faith in him or whatevs

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Or acknowledging
    He’s forged his own clan/support network out of Greef, the Mechanic, Boba when he isn’t being a noodlehead, Bo Karan when she isn’t sulking over not being Mandalore, and some others that include members of his old clan.

But really, pacing for this episode was not to my liking and I hope the next one kicks into high gear now that they re-explained everything for the people that skip the “previously on” segments.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I loved the d'aww moments with grogu this episode. He's such a special boy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I loved the d'aww moments with grogu this episode. He's such a special boy.

Bad baby!!!

Just... Ugh, my heart

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I know people want more from the show, or they don't like the pacing or whatever. But actual mandalorian is like a joy button in my heart. Like the Mando giving Grogu lessons on how to live is total dad energy

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RELtasticRELtastic Registered User regular
    There's a sort of intangible quality to this show that I didn't feel during Obi-Wan or Boba Fett. Like, this show feels like it has more care put in to it or something? I don't know if that makes sense or not.

• Options
    I just like the bright colors. Also I enjoy Din is so much more of a relaxed character, shows his growth from the start of the show.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    RELtastic wrote: »
    There's a sort of intangible quality to this show that I didn't feel during Obi-Wan or Boba Fett. Like, this show feels like it has more care put in to it or something? I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Boba and Obi had no care put in at all in any department, so it makes a lot of sense

• Options
    I know people want more from the show, or they don't like the pacing or whatever. But actual mandalorian is like a joy button in my heart. Like the Mando giving Grogu lessons on how to live is total dad energy

There's a quote from rian Johnson about delight being an essential component of Star Wars, and everyone involved in Mando seems to just have an absolute blast in what they are doing.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, my top 5 Arrowverse moments:
    #5. -- Kara talks down an armed criminal when she is depowered (Supergirl, season 1)
    #4. -- Damian Dark's resurrection as set to Return of the Mack (Legends of Tomorrow, season 3)
    #3. -- Oliver's mountain-top duel against Ra's al Ghul (Arrow, season 3)
    #2. -- Oliver Queen returning home to a surprise Slade Wilson being given a tour of the residence by Oliver's mother (Arrow, season 2)
    #1. -- Harrison Wells kills Cisco (Flash, season 1)

Your number 3 is the top of my list. Brave and rhe Bold followed by The Climb are one of the best mini-arcs CW ever did.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

There's a quote from rian Johnson about delight being an essential component of Star Wars, and everyone involved in Mando seems to just have an absolute blast in what they are doing.

It goes back to why the show exists. Obi-Wan and Boba seemed to be made because the character/actor is popular with the fans. Mando and Andor were made because there was a story to tell.

• Options

It goes back to why the show exists. Obi-Wan and Boba seemed to be made because the character/actor is popular with the fans. Mando and Andor were made because there was a story to tell.

Eh, I'd say that those shows still had a whole lot of delight behind them. I won't argue about the execution, but the scooty puff Jr's and a freaking rampaging rancor are absolutely things that are right out of delight coming from rodriguez, and the fact that he show is basically him finally getting to do conan and red Sonja oozes out. Seeing little leia vetbally everserate eveyone and watching kenobi get his groove back and become the God of rocks absolutely felt like someone was having a ball.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    god, the scooter gang I loved those kids, they had pizazz

from
    "fuck you, we're edgy teens, get outta here"
    to
    "we're going to fight the scariest wookiee ever for you, B-dogg, we love you."

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    it still blows me away that andor went the way that it did as a fucking disney property

'liberalism makes you ethically compromised and violent opposition to fascism is the only means of overcoming it' is not something I saw coming but was real happy it did

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Eh, I'd say that those shows still had a whole lot of delight behind them. I won't argue about the execution, but the scooty puff Jr's and a freaking rampaging rancor are absolutely things that are right out of delight coming from rodriguez, and the fact that he show is basically him finally getting to do conan and red Sonja oozes out. Seeing little leia vetbally everserate eveyone and watching kenobi get his groove back and become the God of rocks absolutely felt like someone was having a ball.

Sure, there was good stuff in both those shows. And Kenobi at least had a hook with his PTSD—that show just needed more time in the oven. But I can’t figure out why they made Book of Boba Fett beyond, “He’s a popular character.”

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    it still blows me away that andor went the way that it did as a fucking disney property

'liberalism makes you ethically compromised and violent opposition to fascism is the only means of overcoming it' is not something I saw coming but was real happy it did

I've talked to a number of people that didn't finish it because it was boring and "star wars isn't about politics"

tumblr_mhxr621SCo1r8y84oo1_500.gif?resize=500%2C321&ssl=1

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Sure, there was good stuff in both those shows. And Kenobi at least had a hook with his PTSD—that show just needed more time in the oven. But I can’t figure out why they made Book of Boba Fett beyond, “He’s a popular character.”

Popular character, his appearance in mando season 2 was cool, and then uhh he had a whole show of not being anything like that. It did give us more Cobb Vance and for that I'm grateful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The reintroduction of Bob was very cool in Mando and Grogu, that's probably all it took for someone to greenlight a show.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I've talked to a number of people that didn't finish it because it was boring and "star wars isn't about politics"

famously apolitical media property, as one does

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

famously apolitical trilogy Star Wars, where the Empire is definitely not a stand in for the United States and the Ewoks are definitely not the Vietcong, and George Lucas definitely never said so in as many words in interviews.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Just like Starship Troopers and Star Trek!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Just like Starship Troopers and Star Trek!

not a single politic to be found

• Options
    Politic is when women are on screen and when men show feelings right

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Politic is when women are on screen and when men show feelings right

No, that’s woke

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.