As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Remote Control

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    discrider wrote: »

So you do get the weekly bonus pokeballs from walking 5k+, but that's minimal

Otherwise I'd advise trying to find a Pokemon go group chat (or continue with pokegenie) to fill your friends list with 100+ people, just to open gifts and level.
    But I think there's a cap of 20 gifts opened per day, so you may still stretch for pokeballs depending.

And raids/gyms/getting pokecoins for bag and Pokemon storage upgrades are always going to be a pain in rural areas, yeah.
    Engorging my friendlist is definitely something I'm looking to do.

Even just 20 gifts a day, could still get a pretty decent amount from it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    You'll need to spin some stops to get gifts too.

• Options
    I have noticed that since I got 40 friends I am now up to my elbows in revives and potions.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    You'll need to spin some stops to get gifts too.

Yes and no; I at least just sort my friends list by who can receive gifts, not who has gifts to give.
    You still increase your friendship level giving, even if someone doesn't have any gifts.
    So plenty of people will be happy with getting nothing just for the sweet XP.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I never open gifts because I throw away ~200 items a day anyway and the user interface is terrible. So I like friends who just open my gifts.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    How do I know when I'm ready to start raiding?

Remote passes cost money so I've kind of been hesitant. Most of my best mons hover around 1300-1500 CP.

Honestly not sure where to start even.

Any raid is doable with the right friends. Or enough friends. Either or. Also, you can nominate (create) Pokestops once you reach level 40. It's a ways off, but something to keep in mind.

Of course you could find a local player with the right level and convince them to nominate more.

Six 7KM egg hatches, six transfers. They really need to shake up the egg hatch Pokémon.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    There are a couple of pokestops in town on the way to and back from work but not a lot, theres one right next to where I work which is nice (literally the next store over) but when I'm on the clock, I can't whip out my phone to spin it too often outside of my lunch break. I'd have to go out of my way to get some of them but not really interested in doing that just for GO.

Pick up a Gotcha and have it auto-spin the stop for you :3 It'll disconnect every so often so you'll have to keep an eye on it, but otherwise you don't have to keep checking your phone :P I used to have a stop right on top of my work and got so many balls this way :3

(but yes, opening gifts is a great way to get more balls... I find pokeballs to be fairly common in gifts)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

So you do get the weekly bonus pokeballs from walking 5k+, but that's minimal

Otherwise I'd advise trying to find a Pokemon go group chat (or continue with pokegenie) to fill your friends list with 100+ people, just to open gifts and level.
    But I think there's a cap of 20 gifts opened per day, so you may still stretch for pokeballs depending.

And raids/gyms/getting pokecoins for bag and Pokemon storage upgrades are always going to be a pain in rural areas, yeah.
    Engorging my friendlist is definitely something I'm looking to do.

Even just 20 gifts a day, could still get a pretty decent amount from it.

Yep, that definitely helps. Oh, and if you run out of gifts, your buddy will get you more. Not a lot more, maybe five or so, but it helps!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yep, that definitely helps. Oh, and if you run out of gifts, your buddy will get you more. Not a lot more, maybe five or so, but it helps!

I haven't been able to figure out exactly how this works but I've had it happen multiple times per day. I think there's some kind of cooldown - maybe similar to the rocket balloons? But yeah, it looks like it just grabs five or so from whatever the closest pokestops are. I've gotten a few this way from pokestops I've never visited :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    *purges more zero star mons*

Your weakness disgusts me.
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    There are a couple of pokestops in town on the way to and back from work but not a lot, theres one right next to where I work which is nice (literally the next store over) but when I'm on the clock, I can't whip out my phone to spin it too often outside of my lunch break. I'd have to go out of my way to get some of them but not really interested in doing that just for GO.

Pick up a Gotcha and have it auto-spin the stop for you :3 It'll disconnect every so often so you'll have to keep an eye on it, but otherwise you don't have to keep checking your phone :P I used to have a stop right on top of my work and got so many balls this way :3

(but yes, opening gifts is a great way to get more balls... I find pokeballs to be fairly common in gifts)
    Looked the gotcha up and they apparently cost like fifty bucks. Dang.

A lil too much for me to justify it but certainly sounds great.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Think today's Community Day will be a bit boring? Think again. Paldea is the Not-Spain in Scarlet and Violet.

• Options
    Man I hatched 5 friend eggs this morning and they were all hot garbage.

• Options
    Also there's a gym around me that is literally a black hole for this game. I'll have full 5G service and yet the game just does not play. It sucks because a raid always spawns there and I just have to ignore it.

• Options
    Man I hatched 5 friend eggs this morning and they were all hot garbage.

I'm definitely back to making sure all my egg slots are full before I open gifts. Those six 7KM eggs were all full of disappointment.

• Options
    Query: does it matter whether you wait until pokemon fully evolve to jam them full of stardust to increase CP?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Of course Dratini times happened right as it gets rainy, cold and crazy windy near Chicago

I can't feel my fingers but I got two shinies, one with almost perfect stats so that's good enough for me.

• Options
    Total shiny haul today:

Me: 5
    My daughter: 7
    My son: 13

Wtf? Lol. Traded one shiny and got a lucky trade and leveled him up to my highest CP mon.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Query: does it matter whether you wait until pokemon fully evolve to jam them full of stardust to increase CP?

No

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Think today's Community Day will be a bit boring? Think again. Paldea is the Not-Spain in Scarlet and Violet.

Shit, I wonder how long.. I went out to dinner :P I see the gold stops on the map tho.

Also somehow got 40 shinies again -_- I think original dratini community day I got one.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Got golden coins.
    Now what?

• Options
    How long are these stops going to be golden?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Right now the new Pokemon just shows up, if you tap it it gives a speech bubble with a picture of the coins.

Guessing this is only the prelude to an actual event. Wonder if it's tied to that mystery event coming up on the calendar? If so that's mean the golden stops might stick around for a bit.

Which might get annoying with how they flood me with crap. Why do you think I need 3 metal coats, random piece of public art? There aren't even three pokemon that evolve with it!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Another fun weekend in the Dover household...

dr7ujg7k2140.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MNC Dover wrote: »

dr7ujg7k2140.png

Bah, these guys are acting like they won't get a makeup community day. It's probably some issue with the data center hosting the servers. Sucks but not exactly Niantic's fault here. This shit just happens.

Side note, ended up with 11 coins. Dunno how many I should try to get :P

Edit: Ahh that feeling when you earn ~400,000 stardust from the community day and then spend it all :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

dr7ujg7k2140.png

Bah, these guys are acting like they won't get a makeup community day. It's probably some issue with the data center hosting the servers. Sucks but not exactly Niantic's fault here. This shit just happens.

Side note, ended up with 11 coins. Dunno how many I should try to get :P

Edit: Ahh that feeling when you earn ~400,000 stardust from the community day and then spend it all :P
    Damn.

How do you get a haul like that? Raiding?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Use the star dust item and catch a boatload of Dratinis. I got about 150K but I was spreading my time across 3 phones (kids were busy so I had to catch the Dratinis for them).

Plus locally it was windy as hell which gave them weather boosted.

• Options
    I feel like I've asked this before but the "Battle Together" buddy Pokemon task... How do you get a heart for that? Is it not Team Rocket battles?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I feel like I've asked this before but the "Battle Together" buddy Pokemon task... How do you get a heart for that? Is it not Team Rocket battles?

Any battle but your buddy has to be in the chosen party. Also they might need to be out on the map too. N.B. they do Not have to actually participate (make or receive an attack or even be sent out) just be in the party.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options

No.

Also, DO NOT START POWERING UP YOUR POKEMON UNTIL YOU HIT LEVEL 29, unless you manage to get something exceedingly rare or with fantastically high stats. You will almost certainly catch a better version with a higher CP. Level 29 is when wild pokemon stop leveling up to match you - unless they're weather boosted, in which case they'll keep growing until you hit 35.

Also also, start googling "Pokemon Go best grass type" (etc.) to get a feel for which Pokemon of each type are the best to power up when it's time. Yes, the lists will be clogged with legendaries, shadows, and megas, but every type has some reasonably common Pokes that are good to use.

Don't be like me and dump a bunch of dust into a rat. Save your dust!

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Any battle but your buddy has to be in the chosen party. Also they might need to be out on the map too. N.B. they do Not have to actually participate (make or receive an attack or even be sent out) just be in the party.

Weird. I just beat a Rocket leader and he's still at 0 hearts. Does he have to survive?

• Options
    So here's the deal with that weird little Pokemon. It's called Gimmighoul, and will apparently spawn naturally in Scarlet/Violet. But to get it in Go, you'll have to link Scarlet/Violet with Go, which won't happen until next year.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Weird. I just beat a Rocket leader and he's still at 0 hearts. Does he have to survive?

Not sure. Maybe it’s just slow? It can take a moment to register hearts from things. I know regular grunts can trigger it too so…?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Oh does he need to be walking with me?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Yes, I think all of the heart tasks require that.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Use the star dust item and catch a boatload of Dratinis. I got about 150K but I was spreading my time across 3 phones (kids were busy so I had to catch the Dratinis for them).

Plus locally it was windy as hell which gave them weather boosted.

Yeah pretty much this. I was fast catching them too so I caught so damn many. And yeah, turned windy here too exactly as the community day started so that was lucky :) Think I even had a combee stacked from research and that thing gave me like 3k dust alone with all the bonuses

Think I had ~500 pokeballs going into it and spent all of them (not counting all the great and ultras I used too). Honestly those gold pokestops after were a godsend since I was able to restock up on an insane amount. Ended up with like 700 pokeballs, 300 great and 300 ultra after maybe an hour of driving around spinning them. Twas nuts. (I had to throw away a bunch of crap just to make room)

Also, managed to get my blue cow today. Which was a miracle cuz I am NOT setup for Ultra league and I was getting my ass kicked left and right. I had like one streak of 4 wins in a set (with premium so all rewards were cows) and got it on the last encounter. Tried to get another one but only got like one or two rewards per set and no more blue cows. Oh well, I'm happy with one. Now I never want to touch ultra league again >-<

Edit:

No.

Also, DO NOT START POWERING UP YOUR POKEMON UNTIL YOU HIT LEVEL 29, unless you manage to get something exceedingly rare or with fantastically high stats. You will almost certainly catch a better version with a higher CP. Level 29 is when wild pokemon stop leveling up to match you - unless they're weather boosted, in which case they'll keep growing until you hit 35.

Also also, start googling "Pokemon Go best grass type" (etc.) to get a feel for which Pokemon of each type are the best to power up when it's time. Yes, the lists will be clogged with legendaries, shadows, and megas, but every type has some reasonably common Pokes that are good to use.

Don't be like me and dump a bunch of dust into a rat. Save your dust!

What I've kind of been doing is looking up counters for specific things. Like, I know these pokemon are gonna be in raids this month, what pokemon are good counters for them? I find a lot of the time the counters are pretty universally good so you can benefit against other stuff of the same type. And for raid counters especially a lot of the charts are nice and list budget stuff too. It's a bit easier than wading through all the Shadow Mewtwos and Zarudes and <insert some pokemon I missed out on>

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Huh, the Greedy Gluttons event starts Wed. and we still have no clue what it's all about. Hope they post details soon. Obviously it's gonna involve Guzzlord but I'm really curious what else there might be. Someone suggested Greedent (and by process of elimination Skwovet) might be a spawn or something makes a lot of sense which would be amazing cuz that's definitely one I still need. I'm assuming also Snorlax and Lickitung (and Lickilicky) but no idea what else would fit.

Hmm, wonder if that's why they duplicated Mega Gyarados after just doing the MG raid day - since he kinda sorta (not really but I mean it was on the first load screen of the game) eats people.

Edit: I'm bored so time to go through the national dex and guess at spawns:
    -Skwovet/Greedent
    -Snorlax/Munchlax
    -Lickitung/Lickilicky
    -Swinub/Piloswine/Mamoswine (totally forgot about this trio, for sure)
    -Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking
    -Makuhita/Hariyama? (cuz sumo?)
    -Gulpin/Swalot
    -Spoink/Grumpig (?)
    -Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein (maybe?)
    -Glameow/Purugly
    -Hippopotas/Hippowdon (iffy)
    -Tepig/Pignite/Emboar (I'd expect Spoink/Grumpig over this but they are all pigs)
    -Trubbish/Garbodor (?? maybe?)
    -Vanillite/Vanillish/Vanilluxe (cuz food.. you could argue other stuff like Cherrim under this too but this is the only junkfood pokemon AFAIK)

I feel like there are probably other options I'm leaving out depending on what the "theme" actually represents. Like you could include more food pokemon (even introduce Bounsweet), you could literally pick anything that can learn "Gluttony" as a wild ability, and I'm sure there are specific dex entries that probably mention some sort of food hoarding even if you wouldn't think it based on how the pokemon looks. Or they can just go for all "fat" pokemon and include stuff like Chansey/Wailord/etc even though I don't think those necessarily fit the theme (Wailord's a maybe, but I decided not to include on the list). I also just included all the evos together but they could certainly choose to focus on a specific one, like having Slakings or Walreins spawn in the wild or something.

I did specifically look for a gen 7 pokemon to tie into the event but the only thing that really comes kinda close is Bounsweet for being food. I imagine Guzzlord counts as the "new pokemon" they're introducing tho (not that they have to, but they tend to like to introduce new stuff in these kind of events)

Edit: I suppose it's also GREEDY Gluttons.. you could include crap like Meowth as "greedy" too I suppose. But I feel like Glutton is the key word :P

Edit 2: Oh ho

Remote passes for elite raids you say?? (I don't know why they refuse for the after community day ones though... that still feels like a big FU to people who miss out on the main event)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Hey I was kinda close

Can't believe I forgot Slurpuff, that's an obvious one.

Also return of SHADOW MEWTWO HYPPPPEEEEE!

Finally I won't be missing the best pokemon (in before I get a 0% or something)

Edit: Did a couple Guzzlords last night. Surprisingly fragile pokemon, jesus. The thing just melted each time.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    I don't know whats up with the tauros in my county but have yet to run into any lower than cp 1500.

Must be something in the water.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    So, long time ago back when I was pretty much done with this game I transferred Victini and Meloetta to Pokemon Home. No big deal, I'm not even mad at myself for doing it now that I'm playing again. Except I forgot to complete the "take a photo" step of their special research so I've had these two special researches sitting there for months being impossible to complete (thank God you can at least collapse them now, you couldn't before).

Awhile back some people on Silph Road suggested I should contact support and get them to complete that step for me. Today I finally decided to do that. Nope! Won't do it! But you know, I can "always trade with my friends to get them." Umm.. no, they're mythicals... You can't trade mythicals (and this is assuming you could find people willing to trade you the pokemon you get *one* of). Believe me, if you could this would be solved as I'd just complete the research on my alt account and trade them over...

It's a whatever, it's just for mostly stickers (and candy for a pokemon I don't have), but that reply just confounds me. I guess support isn't required to know "pokemon" and didn't realize they were mythicals (it'd technically be a valid suggestion otherwise) but yeah... I guess I'll wait another two years or whatever for them to do a Unova tour :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    This game is amazing for just being able to stockpile legendaries in Home, I would imagine.

Devalues them as trades abit probably but still. Pretty awesome since a lot of the main games usually only let you nab one a save file.

Dr. Chaos on