As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[College Football], is cheatin' folks!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Do folks think the 8 team playoffs will lower these kind of results?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    No, but it increases the number of upsets and Cinderellas

Like as emphatic as last night’s game was, we were a bad kick or fallen defender away from OSU getting run over by TCU….

or better playcalling from a repeat of The Game

Or Michigan/Georgia

Don’t forget how amazing the semis were, now you get 3x as many of them

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Also I think Georgia has more 5 star recruits in next year’s class than the entire B1G combined

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I have a solution to the lack of parity

Simply ban all teams wearing red from the sport

No Georgia, Bama, or Buckeyes

Who says no?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I have a solution to the lack of parity

Simply ban all teams wearing red from the sport

No Georgia, Bama, or Buckeyes

Who says no?

Do you really want to eliminate the hilarity of the Arkansas Razorbacks from college football?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

Like as emphatic as last night’s game was, we were a bad kick or fallen defender away from OSU getting run over by TCU….

Or Michigan/Georgia

I actually think this year we would have gotten terrible semi finals with a 12 team playoff. The bracket would have been, according to cbs:

Game 1: (9) Kansas State at (8) Tennessee - Tennessee rolls KSU
    Game 2: (12) Tulane at (5) TCU - TCU rolls Tulane
    Game 3: (10) USC at (7) Alabama - Alabama rolls USC
    Game 4: (11) Penn State at (6) Ohio State - OSU rolls PSU

Quarterfinals
    Game 5: (1) Georgia vs. Game 1 winner - Georgia/Tennessee rematch. we saw this game already, Georgia destroys them
    Game 6: (4) Utah vs. Game 2 winner - Utah vs. TCU may have been competitive.

Game 7: (2) Michigan vs. Game 3 winner - Michigan/Alabama is going to go badly for Michigan
    Game 8: (3) Clemson vs. Game 4 winner - this OSU is going to incinerate this year's Clemson team.

Then it's Georgia vs. Probably TCU - Annhilation. Alabama vs. OSU, based on the Georgia game, probably a good game, I'm not even going to call who wins.

Then Georgia vs. Ohio/Alabama. So it's probably a good title game with one probably good semi final.

IDK, that just seems like a whole lot of teams getting stomped versus the current system.

Year to year it's going to be different, but I think the expanded playoff is going to do more to calcify who wins every year more than it already is. It gives the larger players increased chances of getting in a position to win.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Gonna be wishful here, but maybe the expanded Playoff, along with NIL, helps disperse talent.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    cursedking wrote: »

Or Michigan/Georgia

I actually think this year we would have gotten terrible semi finals with a 12 team playoff. The bracket would have been, according to cbs:

Quarterfinals
    Game 5: (1) Georgia vs. Game 1 winner - Georgia/Tennessee rematch. we saw this game already, Georgia destroys them

Game 7: (2) Michigan vs. Game 3 winner - Michigan/Alabama is going to go badly for Michigan
    Game 8: (3) Clemson vs. Game 4 winner - this OSU is going to incinerate this year's Clemson team.

Then it's Georgia vs. Probably TCU - Annhilation. Alabama vs. OSU, based on the Georgia game, probably a good game, I'm not even going to call who wins.

Then Georgia vs. Ohio/Alabama. So it's probably a good title game with one probably good semi final.

IDK, that just seems like a whole lot of teams getting stomped versus the current system.

Year to year it's going to be different, but I think the expanded playoff is going to do more to calcify who wins every year more than it already is. It gives the larger players increased chances of getting in a position to win.

I think the final matchup is likely yes, but those games are fun

Tennessee without Hooker (his leg was crab-meated) means a gunner game and KSU win

Tulane/TCU is a great game, Tulane was a top-10 team this year and a blast to watch, they beat USC in one of the best bowls this year

USC/Bama is great because of the historic matchup and Bama’s penchant for shooting its dick off this year making it a /shrug

PSU/OSU is a fucking stinker we never need this game twice in a year, barely need it even once

Georgia/KSU probably not the best
    Utah/TCU would have been fun, Tulane/Utah is just weird
    Michigan vs Bama/USC is a real good game this year
    OSU rolls Clemson, yes

That’s how I’d expect the games to go, but you’re probably going to get 1 or 2 upsets as well

The expanded playoff isn’t about giving more teams a shot at a title, it’s about creating more meaningful post-season games. You have to compare the fun of these playoff games vs the meaningless and dumb exhibition games most of these teams actually played in, it’s a giant fucking win vs the status quo

It also makes conference title races more meaningful for all but the B1G and SEC

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    *Me making Championship pick* well I guess I'll take TCU because my best chance is to pick against the group and maybe I'll finish a bit higher. And obviously everyone is going with Georgia, they'd be crazy not to

*Sees results*

Lol

LMAO

Thanks to Nirya and ASimPerson, been a ton of fun and some wacky results!

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The expanded playoff isn’t about giving more teams a shot at a title, it’s about creating more meaningful post-season games. You have to compare the fun of these playoff games vs the meaningless and dumb exhibition games most of these teams actually played in, it’s a giant fucking win vs the status quo

It also makes conference title races more meaningful for all but the B1G and SEC

What? The playoff games will be more "meaningful" precisely because more teams will get a shot and all their outcomes impact the final result. The point of the playoff/tournament isn't to maximize the number of close score games, it's to determine a winner based on on-the-field results. All the meaningless bowl games are already set up to try to provide "fun" close scoring games. If that's really what you want you are arguing against any sort of playoff system.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Or Michigan/Georgia

Quarterfinals

I like all the implicit assumptions in here about which team is better this season to prove your point

Like, I would in no way say Tennessee without Hooker is an auto win over KSU

Or that TCU autowins over Tulane

Bama over USC is pretty likely but not a guarantee with how Bama was this year

Only highly likely one is Ohio State over Penn State, which was pretty fucking close until the last few minutes

Hell the only surefire bad team on there is probably Clemson

• Options
    That was in response to the implication that an expanded playoff wouldn’t have been fun because it most likely results in the same old outcome (Bama or Georgia win), and I was countering that even if 10 teams in the playoff aren’t serious contenders, it’s still better for the sport because it produces more meaningful games than the exhibitions that saw NFL prospects sit out of

Think about all the posts and fun during the semi games this year vs the dearth of posts during the whateverfuck bowl USC and Tulane played in- put that whateverfuck bowl on a quarters bracket though and we’re still talking about it today

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There's a lot of recency bias in saying Alabama rolls Michigan.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    We just watched TCU beat Michigan, who smacked OSU around, who possibly beats Georgia (if Day doesn't think a 50 yarder is a chip shot), who ANNIHILATED TCU.

The notion that any of these matchups are sure things is a bit lol.

Sure Georgia probably takes it all again, but let em decide it on the field, not in the selection committee room.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    12 seems like a good number because 4 is kinda arbitrary and 8 is still kinda arbitrary in terms of who gets selected.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    In retrospect this makes Michigan look absolutely awful though

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

Michigan played their worst game in two years and almost beat TCU anyway. Georgia...did not overlook TCU.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

Michigan easily beat an OSU.
    Georgia almost lost to an OSU.
    TCU won a close game against Michigan.
    TCU got ROFLstomped by Georgia.

There’s no transitive property that works here.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    It may not be possible, but looking at the last 9 years, we have 3 close games and 6 un-watchable blowouts. Again, maybe there isn't a fix, but it would be nice if those were reversed with 3 blowouts and 6 close games.

kq9ir53tqohl.png

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Gonna be wishful here, but maybe the expanded Playoff, along with NIL, helps disperse talent.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out. Right now NIL and free transfers seems to be helping the rich get richer, but it's still very early in all of this and we don't have the expanded playoff component.

• Options
    There isn’t a fix nor does there need to be

Bigger tournaments are fun because there’s more chances (games) for fun, interest, unexplained, or wild things to happen

The NCAA shouldn’t be worried that we need a tournament because we’re not finding the best teams in football each year (no issues with that list), they should do it because more fanbases and just fans in general will have more fun and spend more money on a bigger tournament

The law of averages says every now and then a Cinderella will emerge and win, and that’s cool, but the best team in the SEC is probably going to win it every year still because as yesterday showed in plain, brutal fashion, the talent disparity between Georgia/Bama and everyone else is always going to be almost insurmountable

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The NCAA basketball tournament works because basketball fucks you up way less than college football does. The real reason not to do an extended college football tournament is because players still aren't seeing any of the profits the NCAA is going to make off of them.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    That’s fine, I don’t think there’s a single team except for Bama this year (and maybe the “run it back” Buckeyes in the 2nd playoff but they hated each other and just wanted the season to end so they could all sign their agent deals) that has been left out of the playoff that would have won a game if they got in, the selection committee has never missed on including a team that had a chance to win it (the argument is teams that deserved a playoff game were left out and I *do* think that’s true, but then again the #4 seed has won twice including the most controversial the first year when it wasn’t OSU that should have been left out, TCU or Baylor should have been in over fraud-ass FSU)

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
  • Options

I don't think I've ever seen this happen?

• Options
    Pretty sure same thing happened with Xavier Worthy and Michigan->Texas two years ago.

• Options
    Also Bru McCoy

• Options
    Happened with Eddie Vanderdoes, who signed with Notre Dame but got out of it to go to UCLA.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    What force does an NIL even have? Like if he just doesn’t show up and goes to another school… what can Florida do about it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Technically, other schools are required to stop their recruiting of the signee once they sign, which is a laughable concept in this NIL landscape.

From the National Letter of Intent webpage:
    NLI Penalty

A signee who does not attend the signing institution for at least one academic year (two semesters or
    three quarters) must serve one academic year in residence and will lose one season of competition in all
    sports upon enrollment at another NLI member institution.

Signees have two rounds of appeal they can go through if the school denies their initial release request.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Technically, other schools are required to stop their recruiting of the signee once they sign, which is a laughable concept in this NIL landscape.

From the National Letter of Intent webpage:
    NLI Penalty

A signee who does not attend the signing institution for at least one academic year (two semesters or
    three quarters) must serve one academic year in residence and will lose one season of competition in all
    sports upon enrollment at another NLI member institution.

Signees have two rounds of appeal they can go through if the school denies their initial release request.

No, signees now just whisper "Alston" to the NCAA's legal staff and watch them flee in abject terror.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Michigan's president is intervening to try to repair what seems like a pretty significant rift between Harbaugh and the athletic director. I think mostly about NIL but also assistant pay.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    trying to make a NIL/nil joke but just can’t get the bat off my shoulder

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Garret Reilly to Clemson. Booooooo I wanted him at bama

• Options
    Derek Mason stepping down at Oklahoma State to stop coaching. That sucks.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Garret Reilly to Clemson. Booooooo I wanted him at bama

But CursedKing, we have Garret Reilly at home

Garret Reilly at home
    4ezfzdhdg0id.png

• Options
    Trevor Keegan back for Michigan. One of the two guards who could leave early.

• Options
    In news that I’m sure will annoy ebum, Ohio State has promoted Brian Hartline to offensive coordinator.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    In news that I’m sure will annoy ebum, Ohio State has promoted Brian Hartline to offensive coordinator.

Hopefully he's a less good playcaller than he is a developer of WRs.

Also could a MAC school please just hire him? Like tomorrow?

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

Hopefully he's a less good playcaller than he is a developer of WRs.

Also could a MAC school please just hire him? Like tomorrow?

No! He’s getting ready to take over for Day in 2025 when the Buckeyes go a whole recruiting class to graduation without beating Michigan

This discussion has been closed.