Options

[WoW] The War Within Announced!

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Northrend Cup seems pretty easy compared to previous ones. Though granted I might just have gotten better at dragon racing since the Outland Cup.

This one felt a lot easier to me as well. There were no un'guro or netherstorm flying through brambles nightmare courses we saw in outlands. I think 4 tries was the most I needed to gold any of the courses.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 7
    The other thing about Dragonflight's story and characters that pissed off a lotta chuds--while it was mostly minor or side characters, and we must always be suspicious of corporations selling representation, Dragonflight has gotta be the gayest thing in WoW history.

From a nonbinary drakonid couple right out of the gate in Waking Shores (the ones researching the Gorlocs), to the starting area version of Forbidden Reach with a couple of dracthyr who clearly at least want to be a couple, to the couple of crafting human men...

The most prominent "confirmed" gay relationship was Flynn Fairwind and Mathias Shaw (Flynn turning up at the trading post looking for a gift for Shaw). But I mean...the Vyranoth/Alexstrasza subtext was thick. Thicker than Heroes of the Storm Alexstrasza, appropriately enough.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Today is 10.2.7, and the final patch of the expansion. Titled "Dark Heart."

They dropped an in-game cinematic last week, in which they talk about a Dark Heart artifact, but there's no context in the cinematic for what that is. Needless to say, I'm pretty hyped to see where they take the story for the War Within. Everything that has come out of the alpha so far has looked fantastic.

Blizz has been following an 8-10 week patch cadence all throughout Dragonflight. If they stick with that same cadence, that means we can expect the TWW prepatch to drop sometime in mid to late July. And they have already said that Warbands are coming as part of the prepatch, which is very exciting.

It feels like a great time to be a WoW player.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The Dark Heart is actually something you're already supposed to know - it's the artifact Iridikron took from Deathwing's lab, and was draining Galakrond's essence with in the Dawn of the Infinite dungeon. He handed it off to Xal'atath for Unknown Reasons beyond how much it was heavily implied that he made a deal with the Void.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ahh. I knew he took an artifact, but I don't recall them ever giving it a name. It was the disc looking thing that very heavily resembled the dragon soul, right?

• Options
    Yeah, image under spoiler because of the forum image sizing bugs
    sfkrf4ysuc3h.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The other thing about Dragonflight's story and characters that pissed off a lotta chuds--while it was mostly minor or side characters, and we must always be suspicious of corporations selling representation, Dragonflight has gotta be the gayest thing in WoW history.

From a nonbinary drakonid couple right out of the gate in Waking Shores (the ones researching the Gorlocs), to the starting area version of Forbidden Reach with a couple of dracthyr who clearly at least want to be a couple, to the couple of crafting human men...

The most prominent "confirmed" gay relationship was Flynn Fairwind and Mathias Shaw (Flynn turning up at the trading post looking for a gift for Shaw). But I mean...the Vyranoth/Alexstrasza subtext was thick. Thicker than Heroes of the Storm Alexstrasza, appropriately enough.

Yeah, they’ve done a lot of ‘well it’s implied’ in the past but explicitly canonizing it is a step that a lot of stories stop short of doing

• Options
    Wondering if the naming of the Dark Heart is on purpose, considering Light’s Heart in Legion was specifically a piece of like, the head naaru.

So whatever the void equivalent of naaru is

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Void Naaru. They're a thing.

The Dark Heart relic was mentioned as being similar to the 'Dragon Soul' artifact that Deathwing also created to hold the essence of dragons and turn them into a weapon. This one was used to capture Galakrond's essence, who was hinted at being corrupted by the Old God Yogg-Saron. Xal'atath is also up to something with the blood of the Old Gods in TWW.

Yogg is my fav Old God, so my hope is that she combines the essence in the Dark Heart with the blood of the Old Gods to straight up resurrect him. Yogg just pops up in TWW as a big bad. That would be neat.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I can see a raid fight that's invoking the four Old Gods, some sort of "god council" if you will, but honestly it seems like they're moving the Void away from the Old Gods as the sole focus. We'll probably see a new design or interpretation for the "void lords" that have been alluded to since TBC either in TWW or Midnight.

Funnily enough because DF had kind of a weak villain set for its last two raids, we're kind of bloated on characters they can pull in to be a storyline villain. Obviously there's Xalatath and Iridikron. We've also got references to Azshara interacting with the Void now that she's freed herself from N'zoth. Denathrius is absolutely going to come back at some point in the next three expansions, just depending on where they want to insert him. We're probably setting up for a fight against the Titans at the finale so we may see a figure like Tyr or another Titan-connected character shift into a villainous role. And that's just what we have now, not counting the sort of setting villains you naturally get like "Well of course the Nerubians have an evil queen we're going to have to deal with", or how people are predicting we'll come into conflict with the Arathi Empire across the sea. There's a lot of directions available to them and we'll see what they pull in for ~THE WORLDSOUL SAGA~

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I like the idea of Iridikron being a mastermind dragon of sorts. The kind of dude who points other people at us. In that same kind of Odyn-level dickery.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think it might transpire in a weird way that Iridikron winds up being 'on our side', or at least on Azeroth's side. He's not a fan of the Titans, there's hints of the Titans being not as benevolent as we may have thought (they want Azeroth's Worldsoul, not the people living on it), and they in all likelihood will be the antagonists in 'The Last Titan' so we might not be in a position to turn down his help.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Iridikron wants revenge against the titans for defeating/imprisoning him; in service of that he appears to have made a deal with whoever's writing the checks in Voidtown. It's gonna end badly for him because it can't really end any other way; he'll probably wind up getting killed in a dungeon a couple expansions from now or something.

also I didn't get that vibe from alexstrasza/vyranoth, but if there's one commonality among life/mother deities it's that they fuck, so who knows

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Yeah the big thing with the Primevals was that at the end of the day Vyranoth was the only one that wasn't consumed by spite anymore. Iridikron and Fyrakk both lost sight of the things they were fighting for and just started fighting because they had been fighting. It's not about goals anymore with Iridikron, it's about winning.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 8
    Does Shadowflame damage count as fire damage?

I'm looking at the Shadow Priest BiS list and recommended bullion purchasing list online, and they recommend buying the "Seal of Diurna's Chosen" ring, which procs bonus fire damage when you do fire damage. But as far as I can tell, none of the other recommended items do fire damage. The only thing that seems likely is the recommended weapon, which does Shadowflame damage.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_schools#Multi-school
    According to this table, Shadowflame is indeed Shadow + Fire damage.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Yes and that ring is BiS for nearly everyone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Goddamn it, all the gear that was BiS in earlier raids that I never got and came to peace with not getting because the new raid tier was out is all back and all BiS, so now I can agonize over trying to get it all over again.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    You can buy rings, trinkets, and weapons with bullions this season. It makes collecting BiS super easy.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    And there's a quest to do 4 mythic dungeons that gives you 2 bullions this week, enough to buy any one piece of gear (in addition to the normal weekly bullion you get from raid)

I picked up a Ward of Faceless Ire for my prevoker.

Thought about going for Broodkeeper's Promise like most guides recommend, but having an extra emergency ~800k shield on a 1 minute cd feels too nice for pugs. Can technically cover 1 DPS with Time Dilation, 1 with Ward, and the final DPS + myself with rescue every minute; makes things like the stupid AA bird boss a lot more forgiving

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ward was definitely the best "random ST healing trinket I was stuck with for way too long." Which is... not a short list. Really nice M+ trinket.

• Options
    In terms of writing I think the draenei heritage questline is the best so far (though I haven't done the troll one yet). The bit at the end, where you get to carve your own stone...that was a nice bit of roleplaying you rarely get even in modern WoW.

Now we get to see how long
    building a proper city for the draenei
    takes.

• Options
    edited May 8
    What's the best Ret paladin 2H weapon outside of the legendary axe? Every BiS list is like "just get the legendary axe, bro" like that's something you can easily do. And none of the BiS lists I've looked at have offered an alternative for people who don't have the axe.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In terms of writing I think the draenei heritage questline is the best so far (though I haven't done the troll one yet). The bit at the end, where you get to carve your own stone...that was a nice bit of roleplaying you rarely get even in modern WoW.

takes.

What level do you have to be to do the troll or draenei ones?

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Does Shadowflame damage count as fire damage?

I'm looking at the Shadow Priest BiS list and recommended bullion purchasing list online, and they recommend buying the "Seal of Diurna's Chosen" ring, which procs bonus fire damage when you do fire damage. But as far as I can tell, none of the other recommended items do fire damage. The only thing that seems likely is the recommended weapon, which does Shadowflame damage.

Yes shadow flame is shadow and flame damage. Just like the frost fire mages can do is frost and fire damage.

• Options
    I don't know specifically what the BIS for rets are but I believe in general the best 2H weapon drops outside of the leggo are the mace from Primal Council or the sword from Neltharion. Obviously depends on what you have access to, too - if you're only doing LFR, your best in slot is probably going to be a crafted 2H weapon that surpasses that ilvl, for example.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Just looking for something to spend bullions on. My first two bullions went to buying the Pocket Anvil trinket. I actually got somewhat lucky and got a 506 polearm from the Timewalking cache on week 1 of the season. So I'm pretty set for weapon, at least for now. I will probably buy another trinket and then the fire ring. So weapon would be my 4th bullion purchase, which is a ways out. But I'd still like to have a plan.

For raiding, I really only do LFR. I'm much more of a M+ guy these days since I'm basically just living the PUG life. That's also why I don't have the Fyrakk legendary. I ran LFR like twice and then I just went to M+ in season 3. I never got the drop or farmed up all the stacks.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    All two handers are the same really, just pick whatever has your best secondaries

Ed: actually doesn’t the nelth sword do something fancy? It’s probably that

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

takes.

But good lord the armor sets are fugly (both draenei and troll)

• Options
    Just as there's a very clear and obvious difference in inspiration between various class Hero Talents, so too is there a very clear difference in inspiration in armor sets. Looking at Dragonflight, since at this point is complete, Priests are the obvious winners. Priests won hard. And actually, Void Weaver looks to be the big winner of Hero Talents as well. Priests are eating very good right now. Meanwhile, other classes look to be suffering from a severe lack of creativity and inspiration. Both in their armor sets and in their Hero Talents.

The heritage armors are in a similar boat. Some races have got truly amazing sets, while others are extremely mediocre and ho-hum.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

takes.

What level do you have to be to do the troll or draenei ones?

Same as all the other heritage quests--start at 1, make level 50, no boosts.

Troll heritage story was pretty good. Was that Carl Lumbly doing one of the voices?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Friend notifications (login, logout, etc.) are showing up right in the middle of my screen. I have very few addons, and none that likely interfere with that aspect of the UI. This is super annoying.

• Options
    However obtuse it seems, it is likely an addon issue

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Well, there's the obvious, everybody that got multiple colors did better, besides that, I think the issue with a lot of them is being based on concept art without shoulders, so when they add pauldrons because is supposed to be a full set is evident those aren't supposed to be there. Shoulders can be hidden and more stuff is better, so is not that big of a deal, but still.

• Options
    I've been playing monk this season. Taking a break from my paladin. Also taking a break from healing. Decided I'd just focus on damage and go for the Djaruun + Diurna's Seal fire ring combo.

I've been a monk main before in past expansions, so it's not new to me. But I am really enjoying the current monk playstyle with the current talent tree. And the new stuff coming with TWW's update sounds like a lot of fun.

My only real concern with monk is mostly intangible stuff. Lore stuff. They aren't very important to the overall lore of the game. There are literally 0 lore significant monk heroes in the story. The closest we have is Chen and LiLi and as far as I can recall, they haven't been in the story since the Legion monk class campaign, and they were strictly within that campaign only and did not participate in the Legion story overall. And no monks have participated in any stories since then. Likewise, monk lore is so very rooted in Pandaria and Pandaren culture that it still feels a bit weird to be a monk of any other race other than Pandaren. You'd think that someone would have taken the teachings they learned from the monks in Pandaria and opened a new monk temple somewhere else in the world.

Looking ahead to TWW, Conduit of the Celestials looks pretty okay. I'd probably rate it a B for cool factor. Being able to proc extra Celestials to show up and help out is fun. And being able to summon all 4 at once with the new button is fun. It's no Sunfury, Void Weaver, or Rider of the Apocalypse. But it's okay. On the other hand, the Harmony one looks like a pain in the ass because you have to track a buff and it will almost certainly require downloading a WeakAura if you want to get the most out of it. And I am 100% opposed to using WeakAuras. I hate it. So I would never play Harmony. And Shado Pan looks like a total whiff. It looks like absolute total garbage to the max. I'd rate it among the worst of the entire classes. The only hero spec that looks worse than Shado Pan is Oracle for Priests. It's that bad. (In my opinion). Kinda sucks to only have one good option.

I'm not a brewmaster and I don't tank anymore. I used to. And I have mained Brewmaster as a raid tank for my guild in the past. But I don't tank any longer. But if I was a Brewmaster, I would feel like I had no good options for hero specs. And that would make me sad.

• Options
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I think part of why the brewmaster hero trees arent too interesting is because they already have a lot of buttons, so its filled wit ha lot of passive effects. but youre basically choosing between being able to heal and deal a little more damage, or not getting the extra heals and doing a LOT of extra damage.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    You can have passive effects be interesting, as an example, a lot of Templar is "when X happens, drop a hammer", but it needs to actually feel different, on both gameplay and particle effects. People complain about particle effect bloat, but when everybody else gets to have the extra shiny stuff and you don't that kinda sucks. Warrior opinions so far are Mountain Thane > all, and that's entirely on the particle effects.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    visuals and audio are an underrated part of class enjoyment

• Options
    and that's why warlocks get a giant portal that a pit lord torso comes out of and yells

liEt3nH.png