Options

[Dwarf Fortress] with acceptable, SD graphics.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Welp. My fort ended early in year 2. A drialtha got into the main area, I figured no worries, I'll assign the militia to it. They all passed out exhausted on the 3x3 stairwell, no one would pass them, and all the booze was on the other side. The entire fortress died of thirst while a bunch of exhausted dwarves and a drialtha lazily punched each other over and over between passing out.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Is support for specifying workshop goods to be built with a specific material in this version? I honestly don't remember if that was a DFHack addition or not.

(that is, on the manager screen ordering construction of rock doors and then specifying granite)

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Is support for specifying workshop goods to be built with a specific material in this version? I honestly don't remember if that was a DFHack addition or not.

(that is, on the manager screen ordering construction of rock doors and then specifying granite)

Yes, it's the magnifying glass button on the work order. It's available both on workshop jobs and work orders.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Thanks for that guys, I added the reading material to the OP!
    Also, patch is out.

Mayday on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Toady One wrote:
    underground civs use a separate aggravation timer based on digging and sound and underchops
    I'll check on the bird aggravation timer now
    agitation is if( (0-difficulty_agitation_period) + difficulty_agitation_minimum < current_agitation) then agitate
    so quick fix for now would be upping the minimum
    current irritation goes up by 100 per tree...
    ahhh, 100 per fish! which is killer
    every new year, current agitation goes down by difficulty_agitation_decay
    which is 500 default
    that's 5 trees per year, and the default minimum is 20 trees to start
    so I suspect it's all the fish
    that fish thing is just way off
    your fisherdwarf is gonna pull like 100 fish in the first few whatevers
    so it really is a horror movie, but like, in a fishing setting

Long story short, in a time honoured DF tradition, fishing is dangerous again >_<
    Fix is easy and incoming.

Here's the official tweet about this bug too. The replies are awesome :) .

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So my fortress is going well, I placed it in a joyous wilds area whatever that means. Also lots of boulders and a stream, one small hill, and not a lot of trees. I've only cut like half of them down but I'm out of wood already. Is there a reason to leave the rest standing (like, do they need to be there for more saplings to sprout in the area?) or can I just mow them down too? It just now got to winter and I haven't even started to farm yet, I had almost nothing to trade when the trader showed up earlier (plus I didn't realize I needed to click the button to get one of my people there to trade until they were about to leave lol), and I'm just kind of behind on things in general. Also, do lungfish fly? They seem to be flying. Mountain gnomes drank all my fucking booze before I moved the food and drink underground, so I'm afraid my dwarves are going to die of thirst if the well outside freezes over (I'm brewing beer but it's going fast and I don't have that many plants to brew). They might just get super pissed and kill each other too, we'll see.

Also spotted a lil fairy flying around, and I have some fluffywamblers in and outside my fort. I hope they don't suddenly develop a thirst for dwarven blood.

4p3mbmp819db.png
    fbcyqxtxcvek.png
    1bb1d0geyn1d.png
    rw7obebj01ar.png
    lv87yrtaefoh.png
    zvb12fmxpb92.png

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I JUST NOTICED THERE'S A LUNGFISH IN MY DINING HALL, WHAT IN THE GODDAMNED HELL YOU LITTLE SHIT GET OUT OF THERE

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Sarah: ow! It bit me!

Hoggle: What'd you expect fairies to do!?

Sarah: I dunno, I thought they did nice things like grant wishes?

Hoggle: huh. Shows what you know don't it?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    So my fortress is going well, I placed it in a joyous wilds area whatever that means. Also lots of boulders and a stream, one small hill, and not a lot of trees. I've only cut like half of them down but I'm out of wood already. Is there a reason to leave the rest standing (like, do they need to be there for more saplings to sprout in the area?) or can I just mow them down too? It just now got to winter and I haven't even started to farm yet, I had almost nothing to trade when the trader showed up earlier (plus I didn't realize I needed to click the button to get one of my people there to trade until they were about to leave lol), and I'm just kind of behind on things in general. Also, do lungfish fly? They seem to be flying. Mountain gnomes drank all my fucking booze before I moved the food and drink underground, so I'm afraid my dwarves are going to die of thirst if the well outside freezes over (I'm brewing beer but it's going fast and I don't have that many plants to brew). They might just get super pissed and kill each other too, we'll see.

Also spotted a lil fairy flying around, and I have some fluffywamblers in and outside my fort. I hope they don't suddenly develop a thirst for dwarven blood.

4p3mbmp819db.png
    fbcyqxtxcvek.png
    1bb1d0geyn1d.png
    rw7obebj01ar.png
    lv87yrtaefoh.png
    zvb12fmxpb92.png

From memory, saplings will sprout up through the year that will grow into new trees, there's an argument to be made to not logging everything as the elves will get very angry if you overchop (they've made it more of a problem as on the old version it was cut less than 150 tress which is such an absurd number)
    Otherwise some trees drop fruit that can be harvested for booze in Autumn which might help your hooch sitch.

Joyous wilds refers to a 'good' area that has a certain amount of savegery (think population of wild/potentially dangerous animals)

You'll also get a caravan from the Mountainhome in autumn that you can barter random garbage you've made for some of their booze/plants which can help as well.

I'm by no means GOOD at DF, I just like making a happy home for drunk productive dwarves.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I don't think workshops let you set skill levels, and that makes me sad.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Not directly but you can create a workshop labor and set the good dworfs to only be allowed to do it.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I might be in trouble. In my second year and I've gotten no migrants and no traders. Hoping that one comes this autumn, which is fast approaching, because without trading with your civ you can't get migrants now. I'll be stuck to recruiting passing entertainers and hoping they join my civilization.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    eb6emsO.png

My first fortress artifact is a crown with fan art from Sonic Unleashed.

OiJWHf3.png

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So I might be in trouble. In my second year and I've gotten no migrants and no traders. Hoping that one comes this autumn, which is fast approaching, because without trading with your civ you can't get migrants now. I'll be stuck to recruiting passing entertainers and hoping they join my civilization.

It used to sometimes happen that all dwarves would be killed off in world-gen, in which case your dwarves would literally be the last remaining dwarves in the world. Not saying that's necessarily what's happened here, with the default world gen time now being 100 years instead of 1000 it seems very unlikely that any race would be killed off in so short a time.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Not directly but you can create a workshop labor and set the good dworfs to only be allowed to do it.

I know, I just also feel like dwarves are getting grumpy faster, and one of the fastest ways to make someone grumpy seems to be not letting them practice at being creative. Which means you need to leave something open for them to do, but if you left whoever wants to work on making blocks and churning out shitty stone crafts, it makes it harder to make all your tables/chairs/doors/etc are all really high quality.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »

It used to sometimes happen that all dwarves would be killed off in world-gen, in which case your dwarves would literally be the last remaining dwarves in the world. Not saying that's necessarily what's happened here, with the default world gen time now being 100 years instead of 1000 it seems very unlikely that any race would be killed off in so short a time.

They did finally come but yes, the dwarves are a very very endangered species in my world. It's 10000 years old and there were 67ish spread across 5 civilizations, with only one other civ having an active site.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I had an option to reclaim a Fortress abandoned in world gen, is that new?

I didn't do it, because I found an embark rich in platinum, gold, iron, and flux, in an elven forest, and centered on a very defensible-looking river fork, so I'm obviously going to need to go full Isengard and sieze all of that stuff for the Mountainhomes.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Didn't see it posted here yet, sorry if I missed it, but someone on reddit made a SUPER handy cheatsheet. Linked instead of embedded because it's hugemongous.

https://i.redd.it/x9zt960k8o4a1.png

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I didn't do it, because I found an embark rich in platinum, gold, iron, and flux, in an elven forest, and centered on a very defensible-looking river fork, so I'm obviously going to need to go full Isengard and sieze all of that stuff for the Mountainhomes.

No, reclaiming fortresses has been around for at least a decade.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Oh man, my first new fort on the steam version isn't even a month in, I haven't even started constructing beds, and already drama is brewing.
    psbcorrrgbha.png
    jg1a4z0cqf58.png

"The expedition leader quickly fell in love upon arrival at the new colony with the quirky underdog... But his humble beginnings make the farmer disdain power. Can she balance ruling the colony with an iron hand without it snuffing out her firey new romance? Tune in next week, on DWARF FORTRESS"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I dunno if visiting warriors wanting to clear caverns is new to the Steam version, but I'm definitely enjoying it.

Mostly because right now they're just running around down there, getting mauled to death one at a time by a disaffected giant cave spider that is currently wearing what appears to be a fairly uniform coating of human and dwarven blood. But I don't have to care because they seem pretty dumb and don't do anything but eat my food and... get killed by giant cave spiders.

...I should probably get a militia together before the spider gets curious about the shiny new staircase down in the cavern. I dunno how much it will respect a locked door.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    monster hunters have been around since visitors and taverns were introduced I think

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »

He means reclaiming a fortress when you haven't even abandoned one yet. Reclaiming some AI-generated fortress. I had that option too and I didn't try it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

He means reclaiming a fortress when you haven't even abandoned one yet. Reclaiming some AI-generated fortress. I had that option too and I didn't try it.

That's been an option for a while, yeah. (Probably since 2014, I guess? God, that was eight years ago.)

Not that there's usually a reason that the fortress is in ruins, though, and you'll have to deal with that pretty soon.

• Options
    So I went and found a little bit of time to purchase this and install.

It's been a number of years since I played, and my recent "colony sim" experience was a dabble with RimWorld.

It's so nice not having to make fridges or worry about power or lights.
    But my little fort quickly found itself with a fly problem, and it took me a minute to find all the lizard and rat remains all over the place. Go cats go.

Now I'm fine-tuning all my storage areas. A place for everything, and everything in its place.
    Doh! shells in the refuse pile! Put those over there! There was even a post about that yesterday, no bones either! Icky remains and flies, go away!

Remains are just junk to put in a refuse zone, right? I initially thought you could maybe butcher them, but the Butcher Workshop quickly told me that was a no go.

Speaking of which, is there a screen somewhere that shows the error messages? I put in the Butcher task, but then it quickly popped away. I assume there's a "no butcherable corpse" available type message, but I couldn't find it.

I'm also trying to figure out how to fine tune all the individual dwarf tasking. Rimworld had the screen where you could set things from 1 to 4 or turn off the ability to do things for individuals. I think Dwarf Therapist did something similar for the previous versions of DF? Skimming through last night I couldn't find an equivalent now, but I didn't have a lot of time to look around.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Neveron wrote: »
    That's been an option for a while, yeah. (Probably since 2014, I guess? God, that was eight years ago.)

Not that there's usually a reason that the fortress is in ruins, though, and you'll have to deal with that pretty soon.

Geeze, well I've learned something too. I guess you scrutinize the available options more on a new release like this.

Anyway, another tip for peoples:

Buying the boulders required to make metals when you embark is very, very cost-effective. You don't have to embark with the bars on hand, you don't even have to embark with axes or picks if you're quick. Just bring cheap boulders to assemble a smelter and forge, and a coal product of some sort, and you can start cooking.

Simpler metals like copper are cheaper and easier to work with, and might be a good choice for an early fort. But there's also no replacement for steel. Steel is made in the following proportion with no waste or leftovers:

8 iron bearing ore + 32 flux stone + 13 bituminous coal = 32 steel bars

It is probably easier to just round up the bituminous coal to 16. Then you've also got more fuel to make the steel into something useful. So based on the above, you just need to bring combinations of:

1 hematite + 4 marble + 2 bituminous coal

With the mats to build a forge (anvil) and smelter, and one piece of fuel (coke or charcoal) to get the process started by processing the bituminous coal.

This is the process:

Build smelter
    With 1 fuel/coke, smelt each bituminous coal into 9 coke
    With 1 coke, smelt each hematite into 4 iron bars

Build forge
    With 1 iron, 1 marble and 2 coke, forge 1 pig iron bar
    With 1 iron, 1 pig iron, 1 marble and 2 coke, forge 2 steel bars

After a couple weeks:

R0msTRr.png

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Selner wrote: »
    Remains are just junk to put in a refuse zone, right? I initially thought you could maybe butcher them, but the Butcher Workshop quickly told me that was a no go.

Dwarves will not butcher:
    • Tiny vermin (creepy crawlers might be the only one you can butcher)
    • Sapient creatures (elves)
    • Tame creatures which died for some reason other than slaughter (i.e. a horse that starves to death)

But different creatures will result in different body parts. Baby animals like kittens tend to only result in a skull, which is bad if your strange mood dwarf is demanding bones (which is different from skulls).

Speaking of which, is there a screen somewhere that shows the error messages? I put in the Butcher task, but then it quickly popped away. I assume there's a "no butcherable corpse" available type message, but I couldn't find it.

Top left of the screen, those little circles are all your announcements. The butchery cancellation would be a little 🚫.

I'm also trying to figure out how to fine tune all the individual dwarf tasking. Rimworld had the screen where you could set things from 1 to 4 or turn off the ability to do things for individuals. I think Dwarf Therapist did something similar for the previous versions of DF? Skimming through last night I couldn't find an equivalent now, but I didn't have a lot of time to look around.

The only priorities you can set are in advanced designations, mining and smoothing etc., you can set them from 1 to 7. Priority 1 is above all other jobs except survival. Other jobs have their own internal priorities but you don't really have control over it.

The new labors system can be a little weird if you like to specialize/micromanage and make sure only the best skilled dwarf is doing each job.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Selner wrote: »

• Tame creatures which died for some reason other than slaughter (i.e. a horse that starves to death)

But different creatures will result in different body parts. Baby animals like kittens tend to only result in a skull, which is bad if your strange mood dwarf is demanding bones (which is different from skulls).

Top left of the screen, those little circles are all your announcements. The butchery cancellation would be a little 🚫.

The only priorities you can set are in advanced designations, mining and smoothing etc., you can set them from 1 to 7. Priority 1 is above all other jobs except survival. Other jobs have their own internal priorities but you don't really have control over it.

The new labors system can be a little weird if you like to specialize/micromanage and make sure only the best skilled dwarf is doing each job.

Awesome, super helpful. I had not clicked on that little error message. Doh.

I do like to micromanage who does what :) . I haven't found that advanced designations yet, I will look for that.

Reading yesterday, it sounds like the micromanagement might be a combo of the designations and who can use which Workshop? Like if you only want one Dwarf to make stone things, then only that Dwarf gets to use the corresponding Workshop.

I am sort of annoyed that the default for fishing is "everywhere". No silly Fisherdwarf, you fish where I tell you to fish!
    Didn't find that option right away, and I had no clue where all the cave lobster and turtle shell was coming from.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Neveron wrote: »

"Yeahyeahyeah- and anything I find on the property is legally mine?"

- every contestant on Fort Flippers: Moria

Damnit. Well I doubt this fort will last very long; I'll have to give that a try next. Nothing but engravers, masons, carpenters, mechanics, and blacksmiths with architecture and appraisal skills.

Edit:
    Win state: You've successfully 'sold' the property when a noble moves in?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how getting everyone to stay inside during like sieges and such supposed to work? The wiki talks about using alerts from the military menu but so far I literally cannot find any such thing in the Steam version. And just turning on a burrow does not seem to actually make everyone get inside.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Does anyone know how getting everyone to stay inside during like sieges and such supposed to work? The wiki talks about using alerts from the military menu but so far I literally cannot find any such thing in the Steam version. And just turning on a burrow does not seem to actually make everyone get inside.

Yep, the civilian alert was removed. Now you just have to make a burrow and assign everyone and everything to it manually. It's not a strict order and they may try to finish up whatever they're doing or grab work to do on the way down, like hauling something heavy when they really ought to be flat out running. You might have to forbid what they're carrying or remove all work from them to get them indoors. After everyone is inside, lock the doors and they'll stop complaining about work they want to do but can't get to because of the burrow.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    The civilian alert was always a bit confusing. Like how if a dwarf is a member of a squad, the won't follow the alert even if the squad wasn't activated.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

This one was always a bit frustrating to me because if a bunch of goblins killed my water buffalo, I couldn't do anything with the corpse. At the very least I felt like you should be able to use the bones once it all rots away, but instead you have a useless "skeleton" refuse item that can't be used for anything.

• Options

This one was always a bit frustrating to me because if a bunch of goblins killed my water buffalo, I couldn't do anything with the corpse. At the very least I felt like you should be able to use the bones once it all rots away, but instead you have a useless "skeleton" refuse item that can't be used for anything.

There should totally be a taxidermy option for things like that. Who wouldn't want their Fluffy the Water Buffalo preserved for all times? It would be inspiration to future generations to fight the gobbies!

• Options
    Actually taxidermy would be a very cool addition to DF someday in the distant future.

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Thanks for that guys, I added the reading material to the OP!
    Also, patch is out.

I forgot about timdenee's other one:

https://www.timdenee.com/oilfurnace

FdmDamD.png

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    "Everywhere" is just way too high for mineral frequency, right? I appreciate that it sort of makes things easier but it seems wonky.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I like making dorfs that do a lot of hauling into military. They are stronk.

also i keep thinking i have a good fort going and then invariably all i find is friggin sphalerite! get outta here, sphalerite! zinc sucks!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I like making dorfs that do a lot of hauling into military. They are stronk.

also i keep thinking i have a good fort going and then invariably all i find is friggin sphalerite! get outta here, sphalerite! zinc sucks!

https://youtu.be/U1iCZpFMYd0

Bet you feel pretty foolish now, huh

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Can you control what materials can be used for a recurring work order? I want to set up automated cooking in a way that will preserve seeds for planting. Do I have to get crazy and like set my kitchen to only pull from a stockpile that is then configured to only store the things I want to cook?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.