Options

The [Weather] Thread: Your guess is as good as mine.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Certainly there is nothing stopping us from exploding a nuke in a hurricane.

That's how you get a Godzilla

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    That's a reason we shouldn't nuke a hurricane, not a reason we can't nuke a hurricane

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    [
    Bullhead wrote: »
    From a Cat 1 to Cat 5 in one day. Good god, and thankfully it's still just a fish storm. Going to be an interesting week for the eastern seaboard...

So uh, what are the odds it weakens before landfall looking like?

It could just change direction and wander aimlessly in the ocean until entropy does its thing

But if it keeps moving west, between the storm and land is just an increasing amount of potential energy so…..

Unless there’s the remnants of an older hurricane in its path, I don’t believe there’s anything stopping it short of nukes

We can nuke hurricanes right?

We can nuke hurricanes but IIRC the hurricane will probably just eat it and become a radioactive hurricane.

But we can do it!

Yeah. The actual energy in a hurricane is orders of magnitude more than what a nuke lets off, in the end. Weather is inherently titanic in scope.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    [
    From a Cat 1 to Cat 5 in one day. Good god, and thankfully it's still just a fish storm. Going to be an interesting week for the eastern seaboard...

It could just change direction and wander aimlessly in the ocean until entropy does its thing

But if it keeps moving west, between the storm and land is just an increasing amount of potential energy so…..

Unless there’s the remnants of an older hurricane in its path, I don’t believe there’s anything stopping it short of nukes

We can nuke hurricanes but IIRC the hurricane will probably just eat it and become a radioactive hurricane.

But we can do it!

Yeah. The actual energy in a hurricane is orders of magnitude more than what a nuke lets off, in the end. Weather is inherently titanic in scope.

I think the stat is something like a 10-megaton nuke going off every 20 minutes.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    [

But we can do it!

I think the stat is something like a 10-megaton nuke going off every 20 minutes.

That feels doable

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    [

But we can do it!

That feels doable

we could keep it up for like 1 week

edited after looking up the potential max payload in our arsenal

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    [

But we can do it!

That feels doable

we could keep it up for like 1 week

edited after looking up the potential max payload in our arsenal

That's way too many to have.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That's a fucking monster, I hope it blows out to sea or loses energy before it makes landfall!

@Dirtyboy
    Do you see how your dropping links and or whatever the hell what was formally known as a tweet is now, without comment, might be seen as callous?

• Options
    Huh?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    @DouglasDanger what do you mean?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    sometimes tweets don’t load? then a post that’s just linked tweets looks like nothing? is that the issue here?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    sometimes tweets don’t load? then a post that’s just linked tweets looks like nothing? is that the issue here?

I think it might be the term callous. I doubt Dirtyboy had a cruel disregard for the rest of us. I would assume they just forgot to note what the tweet was.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Weird mood, nevermind, apologies

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    No worries. It is important to note tweets, since half the time the damn service doesn't work right.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    If a tweet I post doesn't show, just assume it wasn't important.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    144545_key_messages_sm.png

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We're apparently going to be hit with a pretty hard El Niño this year down here. Weather services are already predicting drought.

Which is better than flooding I guess? Maybe?

• Options
    Ehhhhh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yeah that's my end thought. one extreme to the other, not so good.

but, in my mind, at least the drought doesn't come with the added logging company slag taking out bridges and homes, and the contamination of the water getting up and into everything. Entire neighborhoods aren't going to be deemed unlivable (as quickly) as they were after the floods this year.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Utterly bizarre track for a hurricane to take.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Utterly bizarre track for a hurricane to take.

that’s what i said when that last one came over the sierras and into the desert!

• Options
    huh I just noticed the NOAA hurricane graphics I was hotlinking get changed over time as the situation changes, so I should screenshot those if I want them to be immutable lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    god there's so much smoke in the california central valley and the SF bay area right now

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    It's a very good day to be working remote around here yeah. I've got a lot of friends either stuck at home or stranded somewhere in the middle of their commute

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wonder if the new super expensive robot got drowned

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Looked up at the sky in New England today and it's all hazy. Oh it seems like Canada is still burning. The late anthropocene sucks.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Looked up at the sky in New England today and it's all hazy. Oh it seems like Canada is still burning. The late anthropocene sucks.

Is that what the haze was? The air felt weird so I thought it was just weirdly humid. Should have known better the way my lungs were feeling.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Yesterday the smoke was down here in South Florida and it gave the day a weird feel.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Category 5 Super Typhoon Bolaven, the strongest storm on Earth, is nearing tropical cyclone perfection.

The storm has a near perfect circular eye surrounded by deep convection.

The storm currently has 180 mph (290 km/h) sustained winds with gusts to 220 mph (354 km/h), but luckily it will stay out in the open Western Pacific.

Thank hell it is way out in the western Pacific ocean...

It still fucked up some stuff, of course, but no casualties were reported

https://crisis24.garda.com/alerts/2023/10/west-pacific-ocean-super-typhoon-bolaven-tracking-north-northwestward-moving-away-from-the-northern-marianas-islands-as-of-oct-11-update-4

I initially googled it because that name is very cool

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/typhoon-bolaven-explodes-into-violent-typhoon-could-affect-us-weather-down-the-road/1586089

And it could hit Alaska and cause a lot of problems next week

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

So this part of the world averages < 3in of rain per year, so uh....this will be something.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm sorry does that say a meter of rain

• Options
    drainage in arid regions is nonexistent to very slow, due to soil conditions, so uh, oof ouch.