As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: The Gathering] Kellen's Excellent Adventure

Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his kneesand say the 'our father'Registered User regular
edited November 2023 in Social Entropy++
C&P'd from last thread:

Magic: The Gathering is a fantasy trading card game from Wizards of the Coast that has been in continuous production for over 25 years. You can check out the official website for more information on the franchise as a whole, including articles on game design, strategy, and lore.

The game is played in a variety of formats, from those that can include nearly every card ever printed, to formats that only use sealed product for deck building, to formats that only use common cards. You can find information about all of the official formats here, and both a quick-start guide and the comprehensive rules here.
Here’s a quick rundown of the supported formats:
Vintage – You can play nearly any card ever made, supes expensive
Legacy – You can play most cards ever made, supes expensive
Modern – Play cards from 8th edition and the first robot set, just kind of expensive
Historic - Arena only, not actually mentioned on Wizards website as a format
Pioneer – Play cards from Ravnica (Return to) forward
Standard – Type 2
Brawl – Standard and Commander bumped uglies and made this
Commander – A format of dragons and highlanders
Pauper – Format of the commons

There are also tons of unofficial formats that are supported by communities both online and at your local gaming store.

Arena is the latest digital version of the game, utilizing a free-to-play model and currently supporting the Standard, Historic, and Brawl format and current limited formats, as well as some occasional digital-only formats/oddballs. You can download the game here.

Magic Online is the original digital Magic platform and is still the primary official way to play non-Standard constructed formats online. They also run cube and chaos drafts on MTGO. It looks like an orcs butt, but it gives you the Magic experience. You can download the client here.

If you're interested in competitive play, you can find information on the various levels of paper competitive play here. In addition to Wizards' own high-level tournaments, Star City Games runs their own national tournament series with large monetary prizes and Invitational, you can find information on their tournaments here.

Some other resources:
TCGPlayer.com can help you find the market values of cards before you make a purchase or trade. They also have an iPhone/Android app that allows you to scan cards and find their value/catalog them.
MTG Goldfish also has a price tracker feature with graphs, as well as articles on the game.
Gatherer is the official card search engine from WotC, featuring up-to-date oracle text, errata, format legality, and important rulings for every elk in the game.
Channel Fireball has a lot of articles on magic, but you have to pay for them.

2023 set release dates

Dominaria Remastered – January 13th, 2023
Phyrexia: All Will Be One – February 10th, 2023
March of the Machine – April 21st, 2023
March of the Machine: The Aftermath – May 12th, 2023
Shadows over Innistrad Remastered – March 21, 2023
The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth – June 23rd, 2023
Commander Masters – August 4th, 2023
Wilds of Eldraine – September 8th, 2023
Doctor Who Commander Decks – October 13th, 2023
The Lost Caverns of Ixalan – Q4 2023

I play swamp and thoughtseize.

acpRlGW.jpg
Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
Whippy on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i show you my hand and reveal i'm on burn

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I don't draw my third land and I concede.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Gems in the store today.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i point hopefully to the Obstinate Baloth in my hand

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Story updates:

Chapter 3
    Teyo and Ral are helping the defense of Ravnica. Kaya, Kaito, and Bobby Tables are helping Kamigawa.

Tamiyo dies at the end of the chapter. She leaves behind a holographic copy of herself, like Superman's dad. Kaya confirms that it's not a spirit in the conventional sense, but Kaito's description of it makes it sound like a sort of artificial kami.

Elspeth is being pushed super hard as this messianic figure who is destined to save everyone. Makes me wonder if the 11th hour reveal about her true nature won't be even crazier than we've guessed. Like, maybe she's not just an angel planeswalker, but also a clone of Serra or something?

Chapter 4
    Tyvar returns to Kaldheim and and joins his brother's army, which includes representatives from at least seven of the ten realms. Only the angels, demons, and shapeshifters are not mentioned as being present. Then again, if there were any shapeshifters, how would you even know?

Saheeli and Chandra's mom warned the authorities on Kaladesh that the invasion was coming, so they've spent the last three days mass producing weapons, attack vehicles, and fortifications. Unfortunately, the Phyrexians are smearing themselves all over the defenses to assimilate them and turn them against their creators.

Atraxa is dominating Capenna with little opposition. No planeswalkers have come to the plane's defense. She finds a Maestro museum of Old Phyrexian artifacts. In compliance with the orders she was given in Chapter 1, she destroys the artifacts as a symbolic punishment for the Old Phyrexians' failure in conquering Capenna.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    05jva934srz2.png

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Lucked my way into another ONE Bo3 3-0 in the last couple days.

Initial build had lands evenly split 5-5-5 (plus 2 Terramorphics) but I talked myself out of that. Probably shouldn't have run the Vat Emergence at all (I had two and only cut one); it was the card I most boarded out for Compleat Devotion or Sinew Dancer. Two TMs and a Dune Mover really smoothed the mana and it wasn't really a problem.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Oh, hey, new thread suddenly reminded me to be a greedy little shit.

Did anyone get any Arena codes for ONE from going to a prerelease tournament? I don't recall those getting handed out like usual.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

Did anyone get any Arena codes for ONE from going to a prerelease tournament? I don't recall those getting handed out like usual.

Oh... yeah. I'm sitting on a few, but I've had a crazy couple of weekends since and forgot about them.

I'll dig them up in the morning and do the thing.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Oh... yeah. I'm sitting on a few, but I've had a crazy couple of weekends since and forgot about them.

I'll dig them up in the morning and do the thing.

OK! After sending one off to Shadowen I have 6 codes left. I'll check the thread periodically, but you can ask via PM too if you'd prefer.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Story updates:

Chapter 3
    Teyo and Ral are helping the defense of Ravnica. Kaya, Kaito, and Bobby Tables are helping Kamigawa.

Tamiyo dies at the end of the chapter. She leaves behind a holographic copy of herself, like Superman's dad. Kaya confirms that it's not a spirit in the conventional sense, but Kaito's description of it makes it sound like a sort of artificial kami.

Elspeth is being pushed super hard as this messianic figure who is destined to save everyone. Makes me wonder if the 11th hour reveal about her true nature won't be even crazier than we've guessed. Like, maybe she's not just an angel planeswalker, but also a clone of Serra or something?

Chapter 4
    Tyvar returns to Kaldheim and and joins his brother's army, which includes representatives from at least seven of the ten realms. Only the angels, demons, and shapeshifters are not mentioned as being present. Then again, if there were any shapeshifters, how would you even know?

Saheeli and Chandra's mom warned the authorities on Kaladesh that the invasion was coming, so they've spent the last three days mass producing weapons, attack vehicles, and fortifications. Unfortunately, the Phyrexians are smearing themselves all over the defenses to assimilate them and turn them against their creators.

Atraxa is dominating Capenna with little opposition. No planeswalkers have come to the plane's defense. She finds a Maestro museum of Old Phyrexian artifacts. In compliance with the orders she was given in Chapter 1, she destroys the artifacts as a symbolic punishment for the Old Phyrexians' failure in conquering Capenna.
    Also the Halo on New Capenna is causing Atraxa to have Issues

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

I think I have a couple sitting in my locker, with the kits, I'll dig them out

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    I already got mine from @Vyolynce (thanks again) but I'm sure others want one!

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I'd take one for sure. What do you get from them, some extra boosters or like special card art?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    I think it's like 6 booster packs.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    If folks have extra I’m always game for six free rares and treasure chest increases.
    Edit - thanks Vyolynce!

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    Sorry, got distracted by Octopath 2 for a while. All requests fulfilled, still have 2 codes left!

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Still got one ONE code on hand!

EDIT: And it's been spoken for. G'night!

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Am I pretty safe to craft a deck or did a new major tournament happen recently that I don't know about?

I'm wanting to get into standard on arena and I have enough stuff to craft the mono white or mono red deck that are going around right now just not sure if I should go ahead or wait.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    In todays stories:

Arcavios:
    The students have lore magic that can just straight up say what is, and use it to push back Phyrexia.

Ikoria:
    The monsters of Ikoria are mutating anti-oil defenses, and also Lukka is dead. So dead, in fact, they hint that Vardok's fire might straight up memory-hole him from ever having existed at all.

I really like how they're showing that multiple other planes besides Capenna have ways to stop the oil or the Phyrexian invasion, they're definitely trying to write themselves out of the oil being a completely unstoppable antagonist.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Well, that means possibly the single bravest writing choice is off the table.
    My prediction for the single most daring thing they could do--not that I think they would--was for Lukka to be the only compleated 'walker left alive, and his experiences transform him into an actual hero desperately trying to make up for what he did rather than the most useless asshole in the multiverse.

I am, to be clear, not sorry this will not be happening. But it would have been a bold strategy, Cotton.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Status updates on various characters and locations:

Arcavios
    Liliana came to the plane's defense. She's currently raising an army of the dead.

Strixhaven itself is basically in ruins. The students performed a ritual successfully enough that it repelled the Phyrexians, but due to complications it failed to restore the school. The invasion is gradually adapting to the protective magic, but it has been slowed enough that Liliana's army can fight it to a standstill.

Dean Shaile and Dean Nassari were both compleated and likely subsequently killed by the ritual.

Dina, Killian, Rootha, Zimone, and Dean Embrose are all confirmed alive.

Quintorius awakens as a planeswalker. His current location is unconfirmed, but if you've been paying attention to the promo art for the next couple sets, you probably have a pretty good guess.

Ikoria
    The city of Drannith has been utterly annihilated. What's left of its population are on their way to seek shelter in Lavabrink.

Vivien came to Ikoria's defense. She is currently watching over the refugees.

Chevill, Jirina, Haldan, and Vadrok are confirmed alive.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    it really annoys me that the five absurdly strong elder dragon wizards don’t show up to deal with the Phyrexian threat at all in that story. Despite their school being in ruins.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    idk leaving it all up to the underpaid associate professors and unpaid students to fix should like college to me

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    never die wrote: »
    it really annoys me that the five absurdly strong elder dragon wizards don’t show up to deal with the Phyrexian threat at all in that story. Despite their school being in ruins.
    idk leaving it all up to the underpaid associate professors and unpaid students to fix should like college to me
    While Styrofoam's comment is 100% accurate, we are also only seeing one battlefield, so to speak. The dragons could be occupied elsewhere...
    ...or compleated, like Kolaghan is on the Invasion of Tarkir art.

en_Nsz1j68f9G6n.png

• Options
    Elsewhere? Post mending planes are like 50 square miles, tops.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    milski wrote: »
    In todays stories:

Arcavios:
    The students have lore magic that can just straight up say what is, and use it to push back Phyrexia.

Ikoria:
    The monsters of Ikoria are mutating anti-oil defenses, and also Lukka is dead. So dead, in fact, they hint that Vardok's fire might straight up memory-hole him from ever having existed at all.

I really like how they're showing that multiple other planes besides Capenna have ways to stop the oil or the Phyrexian invasion, they're definitely trying to write themselves out of the oil being a completely unstoppable antagonist.
    I didn’t expect this arc’s resolution to be “invade New Phrexia with an army of gorillas” but I’m here for it.

Finally, they’ll earn that banana this big.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Elsewhere? Post mending planes are like 50 square miles, tops.

Ever since they committed to return visits to planes being a regular occurrence, WotC has made a conscious effort to keep the geography of newly introduced planes larger and more mysterious.

This is why many recent sets focus on single cities. Kaladesh's Ghirapur, Amonkhet's Naktamun, New Capenna, etc. It's also why Ixalan has whole continents of which we've been informed but have never seen. Bigger planes means fewer headaches when introducing new concepts on return visits, especially new sources of conflict. No more "the merfolk on Ravnica were just deep underground the whole time" and other such embarrassing retcons.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MaRo's teaser is up.
    Wrenn and Eight confirmed (so yes, Wrenn's merging with Realmbreaker and getting a card of that, we'll see how that works out)
    The final broken sword is getting printed in the set.

Legendary Creature – Elder Giant Dog sounds fun.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Some of those weird creature typings, at least the legendary ones, are likely more team up cards.
    The Ape Dinosaur Turtle one has to be Kolga and Yidaro, which seems very stompy

Cyclops Homunculus is probably Fblthp & the Humongulus, maybe?

Cururu on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh probably.

You know, it occurs to me that there's isn't really any support for dog tribal. Rin and Seri exists, but that's cats and dogs. Otherwise you just have Pack Leader, that's it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Wonder if we’ll get modal planeswalkers again but as duos. Planeswalker on one side and someone else on the other.

• Options
    rip Lukka, died the second time as he died the first time, stupidly.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    • A legendary creature returns not seen since Homelands

Gonna guess this will be an Autumn Willow & Baron Sengir team-up card. While the Baron has been seen many times since Homelands, Autumn Willow has not. They are both immortal, whereas most other legendary creatures from Homelands would be dead from old age. And they are the two dominant powers on Ulgrotha, with their rivalry referenced in the flavor text on the Fifth Edition reprints of the cards Deathgrip and Lifeforce.
    • Some planes show up in card names that have never done so before

No shit. Even popular planes like Eldraine and Kaldheim have never been in a card name before, so this "hint" tells us nothing. Would have been nice if he had told us how many instances of this are in the set.
    • Two draft archetypes that have a creature type matters component (one of which is Phyrexians - see above)

I suspect the other draft archetype that cares about creature types will reward playing creatures who don't share a type, This synergizes with the "team up against the existential foe" flavor of the set. Safe bets are that Black/Green will be the Phyrexian combo and Red/White will be team up combo.
    • Creature – Goblin Spellshaper

As the spellshaper creature type originated in Mercadian Masques, I'm going to guess that this card will be a Kyren, one of the Bizarro World smart goblins of Mercadia.
    • Legendary Creature – Elder Giant Dog

• Legendary Creature – Ape Dinosaur Turtle

• Legendary Creature – Cyclops Homunculus

As has been discussed above, these are all team up cards. Specifically, they are Kroxa & Kunoros, Kolga & Yidaro, and Borborygmos & Fblthp.

• Options
    Borborygmos & Fblthp

The boys are back

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I wonder if the double sided token will be like: "if X happens, token is human, if Y happens, token is Phyrexian."

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Borborygmos & Fblthp

The boys are back

Are they in town?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Borborygmos & Fblthp

The boys are back

Are they in town?

Hopefully not. I think towns cease to be towns when Borborygmos is in them.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Borborygmos & Fblthp

The boys are back

Are they in town?

But technically yes, if you count "world-spanning city" as "town."

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Borborygmos & Fblthp

The boys are back

Are they in town?

Cant hear you over these double lead guitars

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.