As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Take On Me

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Take On Me!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Take On Me

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Jean-LucJean-Luc Registered User regular
    The online "grift speech" industry is nauseating. That is all.

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    To be contrarian, you have to defend your bad opinions

• Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    Babies are overrated. On the other hand, there are clues Gabe might not be sincere with his contrarianism...
    I'm confused on which level I'm supposed to rage!

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »

Nuh-uh!

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular

Poorly, at best.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like contrarians. Downvote me all you want.

dennis on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular

Are you sure? Because it seems like just shamelessly repeating them is sufficient.

• SewblonSewblon Registered User regular
    This just isn't accurate. You don't need to be contrarian for the algorithm to favor you. The most popular Youtuber right now is Mr. Beast. He does silly stunts that involve large expenses. His politics are completely inscrutable. https://www.youtube.com/@MrBeast

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If the options are spending a lot of money and effort on charity or just saying that child labour in the acid mines builds character, I know what most people looking for the algorithm's favour would prefer to do

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    If the options are spending a lot of money and effort on charity or just saying that child labour in the acid mines builds character, I know what most people looking for the algorithm's favour would prefer to do

Exactly the point they're making? Why put in a lot of work and money to get rewarded for being neutral, or even more for being good, when you can do almost nothing to get rewarded for being evil?

A more benign version is that trend of making horrific-looking food on TikTok

Why make effort coming up with recipes that work when you can pour canned chili over pringles, add too much cheese, maybe some cut up kielbasa, and let outrage shares do the rest of the work

A more benign version is that trend of making horrific-looking food on TikTok

Why make effort coming up with recipes that work when you can pour canned chili over pringles, add too much cheese, maybe some cut up kielbasa, and let outrage shares do the rest of the work

That almost seems preferable to the previous trend of those recipe videos that don't actually work.

You are also a man of culture, I see

Her poor husband / microwave

You are also a man of culture, I see

Her poor husband / microwave

You want real cooking-based outrage:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djpVvaCyNPw

I see the logic in that. Being contrarian is easier than actually doing good things in the real world. But is there anyone who got the algorithm's favor by saying that child labor builds character?

• PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Sewblon wrote: »
    But is there anyone who got the algorithm's favor by saying that child labor builds character?
    If we look up such a video and then all go view the link and maybe post outraged replies to it, what would we have accomplished? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Pyrian wrote: »
    But is there anyone who got the algorithm's favor by saying that child labor builds character?
    If we look up such a video and then all go view the link and maybe post outraged replies to it, what would we have accomplished? (That's a rhetorical question.)

We will be able to see how popular it is and how many upvotes it has, (assuming that you have installed the Return Youtube Dislike Extension). So then we will have some information that we can use to evaluate the truth or falsehood of the comic strip's premise.

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular

I see the logic in that. Being contrarian is easier than actually doing good things in the real world. But is there anyone who got the algorithm's favor by saying that child labor builds character?
    The dad in Calvin & Hobbes

• jberryjberry longtime reader firsttime poster Fort Smith Ark USARegistered User regular
    contrarianism is shallow and boring we all know someone whose first answer to everything is no

youre walking into quicksand
    no im not im glub glub

it sure is dark do you need a light
    no i dont need any crash thud

according to world bank data mexico had the 15th largest gdp in 2017
    no it did not

although take in contexts such as a hot take may seem to make that usage very contemporary the use of take as a noun in the sense of "an opinion" dates back to at least the 1920s in american english

Is there a webpage where I can see that?

https://calvinandhobbes.fandom.com/wiki/Building_character

dennis wrote: »

But how do we know that that translates into success on social media? I have never seen that on social media before.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Well, I found this image on social media:
    oc39npumur8v.png

Is that success? I remembered it enough to look for it as a snappy answer*.

*RIP Al Jaffee

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    dennis wrote: »

But how do we know that that translates into success on social media? I have never seen that on social media before.

I think you missed that it was mainly a joke by Lttlefoot.