As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A thread plugged straight into [Social Media]'s Brain, It's filled with musk

DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
edited August 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Twitter Continues To Have A Twitter Problem: Opened October 2017, Closed July 2020

Social Media: The Intersection Of Money, Policy, And Hate: Opened July 2020, Closed February 2022

Social Media: Our Blasted Digital Hellscape: Opened February 2022, Closed November 6th, 2022

The Fall Of The House Of Social Media: Opened November 6th, 2022, Closed December 7th, 2022

It has been a Long year The Last Month in Social Media: Opened December 2022, Devolved into talking about hops.

So, I took it on myself to open a new one, cause the other one is just about people drinking or refusing to drink because they're like "waah,waah, I don't like beer"

Presumably, the following is still in effect:
ElJeffe wrote: »
Because the other thread closed before i could yell at everyone, please don't podt weird hypotheticals about how other forumers are rape-friendly, and if they do, please don't respond by calling everyone else rapists, like what the actual fuck.

Echo on
«134567100

Posts

  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    This does have some overlap with the LGBTQ+ thread, but Twitter, to no-one's surprise, is getting a bit shittier towards transgender folks: The adjusted their hateful policy to remove an explicit protection:

    The sentence
    This includes targeted misgendering or deadnaming of transgender individuals.
    was removed, (see The wayback machine for where it used to say it)

    Now, it does still specify that attacks against gender identity are not tolerated, but it's less explicit now.
    This is not great news, but more or less what I expected from Twitter and Musk. And since the enforcement of anything has been spotty anyway, I don't know if this actually changes anything.

    It's a shitty platform to be on, it's now double shitty for Transgender people, but that's probably more because of the Nazi's, not so much the Lettering in the Code of Conduct.

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So Musk is now reporting tomorrow for sure all the legacy checkmarks will be gone, so any twitter verified you see are sad 8 dollar losers. If he pulls it off so like 25% chance.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So Musk is now reporting tomorrow for sure all the legacy checkmarks will be gone, so any twitter verified you see are sad 8 dollar losers. If he pulls it off so like 25% chance.

    I have a very reliable source that if it doesn’t happen tomorrow it will be delayed two months until June 9

    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Well we know he wouldn't do June 6th because for his followers that's a day of mourning.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So Musk is now reporting tomorrow for sure all the legacy checkmarks will be gone, so any twitter verified you see are sad 8 dollar losers. If he pulls it off so like 25% chance.

    It's so wild to me that companies still want to be on Twitter... I mean, on a lark, and because a CatTurd told him so, he changed the tags of Canadians public Broadcasting company to "69% government owned" because "hah, hah, the sex number"

    That should just scare the bejesus out of any Marketing department, right? What if he changes your company to "Takes it in the butt..420" because it's funny? Like...run, don't walk, The Twitter CEO is just trolling with your Brand because he's bored!

    And then the whole charging the National Weather Service 42,000 dollars a year to give Hurricane warnings through Twitter? And NO red state was "Hold up... Those warnings are for us, and he's holding them hostage to enrich himself"

    The hate boner for Liberals and Gays can't be that erect that they're willing to suffer through all this, right?

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It feels like they keep thinking he'll get back to being a regular ceo and back to letting twitter be a place for corporations to hello fellow kids their marketing. And he just isn't and some of them have realized he won't, but others are like "come on you're a rich white dude stop this nonesense and go back to making us money"

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Free Speech Absolutist Elon Musk at work!

    i232xpgur9ez.png

    For reference: Matt Walsh got hacked. Rumors are circulating that the hacker found some real juicy shit about this dirtbag.

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its sad how quickly this shit always turns out to be a lie. Free speech absolutism is the bananna down the pants of law beliefs.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well we know he wouldn't do June 6th because for his followers that's a day of mourning.

    I think he'd want to fully delay to August 8th for his fans.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I adore everyone here. Ending the last social media thread with a bunch of 5 year old memes (from the long long ago) was just *chef's kiss*

  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It feels like they keep thinking he'll get back to being a regular ceo and back to letting twitter be a place for corporations to hello fellow kids their marketing. And he just isn't and some of them have realized he won't, but others are like "come on you're a rich white dude stop this nonesense and go back to making us money"

    In an unexpected move, Microsoft had enough of Twitter and says "I'm out."
    Elon responds with "I'll sue"

    ds5m5m6wdp2d.jpg
    T(w)itter Daily News
    NEWS: Microsoft drops Twitter from its advertising platform as they refuse to pay Twitter’s API fees.

    Elon Musk:
    They trained illegally using Twitter data. Lawsuit time.

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man that's the I'm calling my dad of responses. Elon I'm pretty sure Microsoft has real lawyers not Catturd2 pms

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well we know he wouldn't do June 6th because for his followers that's a day of mourning.

    I think he'd want to fully delay to August 8th for his fans.

    The day that Jerry Garcia died?

  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well we know he wouldn't do June 6th because for his followers that's a day of mourning.

    I think he'd want to fully delay to August 8th for his fans.

    The day that Jerry Garcia died?

    8/8

    88

    Nazi lingo.

  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm sure Microsoft lawyers are salivating over a distraction from the interminable Activision acquisition.

    So yeah, sue one of the biggest tech companies in the world with essentially unlimited pocketbooks and an army of lawyers. I'm sure this will turn out good for you.

    'course Elon is such a coward you know this is all hot air and within the week he'll be posting about how it's all just a misunderstanding and he'll hope nobody notices he just got owned AGAIN.

  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    It feels like they keep thinking he'll get back to being a regular ceo and back to letting twitter be a place for corporations to hello fellow kids their marketing. And he just isn't and some of them have realized he won't, but others are like "come on you're a rich white dude stop this nonesense and go back to making us money"

    In an unexpected move, Microsoft had enough of Twitter and says "I'm out."
    Elon responds with "I'll sue"

    ds5m5m6wdp2d.jpg
    T(w)itter Daily News
    NEWS: Microsoft drops Twitter from its advertising platform as they refuse to pay Twitter’s API fees.

    Elon Musk:
    They trained illegally using Twitter data. Lawsuit time.

    IANAL

    But if they were doing something illegally with a company's data, and you say nothing until they refuse to pay you, that really sounds like extortion.

  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Quid wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well we know he wouldn't do June 6th because for his followers that's a day of mourning.

    I think he'd want to fully delay to August 8th for his fans.

    The day that Jerry Garcia died?

    8/8

    88

    Nazi lingo.

    Yeah that makes sense. To me, this is august 8th

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd8fT281RNg

    August 8th is a song by punk band NoFX that they wrote and recorded to celebrate Jerry Garcia's death because they hate hippies and the greatful dead, but a few years later they learned he actually died on the 9th instead.

    Which is pretty funny to me!

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Does Twitter even own the content of tweets?

    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Do any of us own anything man, like what is ownership by things that own you instead?

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    It feels like they keep thinking he'll get back to being a regular ceo and back to letting twitter be a place for corporations to hello fellow kids their marketing. And he just isn't and some of them have realized he won't, but others are like "come on you're a rich white dude stop this nonesense and go back to making us money"

    In an unexpected move, Microsoft had enough of Twitter and says "I'm out."
    Elon responds with "I'll sue"

    ds5m5m6wdp2d.jpg
    T(w)itter Daily News
    NEWS: Microsoft drops Twitter from its advertising platform as they refuse to pay Twitter’s API fees.

    Elon Musk:
    They trained illegally using Twitter data. Lawsuit time.

    So is this libel or...?

  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Why does Musk keep on replying to @titterdaily like it is a legitimate source of news?

  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why does Musk keep on replying to @titterdaily like it is a legitimate source of news?

    Because he is an idiot

    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I’m open to ideas, but ripping off the Twitter database, demonetizing it (removing ads) and then selling our data to others isn’t a winning solution
    Is he honestly mad they didn't include the ads or something!?

    Note that this reasoning also applies to embedding twitter posts

    Couscous on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why does Musk keep on replying to @titterdaily like it is a legitimate source of news?

    Because they make him feel like somebody likes him and he is an endless void of need.

  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    It doesn't even make sense what he's claiming. They illegally broke into Twitter's systems and trained their AI? Copied the entire database? Very doubtful. They used publicly available tools and API calls that Twitter as a company was more than happy to provide? That's not a case dipshit. You started charging for API calls, they said fuck that and left. I thought this was a free country?

    Dark_Side on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I’m open to ideas, but ripping off the Twitter database, demonetizing it (removing ads) and then selling our data to others isn’t a winning solution
    Is he honestly mad they didn't include the ads or something!?

    Note that this reasoning also applies to embedding twitter posts

    Also that access to that data was done with the consent of Twitter in the first place.
    Microsoft's lawyers have opinions on employees who grab data without their ok, and they really, really prefer it when the usage is explicitly allowed.

  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why does Musk keep on replying to @titterdaily like it is a legitimate source of news?

    Because he is an idiot

    Because it’s a sockpuppet account that he runs.

  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    He has put less thought into this than anyone here has so far. Including people who haven't opened the thread.

  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    It doesn't even make sense what he's claiming. They illegally broke into Twitter's systems and trained their AI? Copied the entire database? Very doubtful. They used publicly available tools and API calls that Twitter as a company was more than happy to provide? That's not a case dipshit. You started charging for API calls, they said fuck that and left. I thought this was a free country?

    He's just saying words, I doubt he believes it himself, but he needs to be BIG STRONK MAN who crushes all opposition, those nasty...nasty...Huge Liberal Tech Companies?

    I actually suspect that he's just letting ChatGPT run his account, as it's just word-salad, but a bit more coherent then Trump.

    Either that, or the "high on his own supply" theory is right, and he thrives on attention, and he has found the purest vein to inject straight into his ego.
    And unfortunately, this is not one of those mild drugs, like the dreaded reefer madness.... no, this seems to quickly rot the brain.

    Dibbit on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    If you want an actual source because @titterdaily didn't link to one:
    https://mashable.com/article/microsoft-drops-twitter-from-advertising-platform
    Microsoft is going to drop Twitter from its Microsoft Advertising plan next week, according to the company.

    "Starting on April 25, 2023, Smart Campaigns with Multi-platform will no longer support Twitter," Microsoft said(opens in a new tab). A similar email has begun to go out to Microsoft Advertising users stating that "Digital Marketing Center (DMC) will no longer support Twitter starting on April 25, 2023."

    From that date, users will no longer be able to access their Twitter account through its Digital Marketing Center's social media management tool, according to Microsoft. Users will also no longer be able to schedule, create, or manage tweets or tweet drafts. In addition, users won't be able to view their past tweets and engagement on the Microsoft Advertising platform.
    While Microsoft's social media service was provided for free to advertisers, it was prominently featured in Microsoft Advertising's Digital Marketing Center dashboard. It worked alongside the platform's social and search paid advertising tools, which helped businesses run and manage their paid ad campaigns on platforms like Google Ads, Facebook and Instagram, and Microsoft's search advertising.
    Intercom, a leader in the online customer service space, announced it was dropping Twitter integrations from its platform last week due to the new API pricing. The National Weather Service (NWS), a federal U.S. government agency, told Mashable yesterday that Twitter users should no longer depend on its emergency alert tweets after it loses Twitter API access.

    The odd thing about Twitter's stance here is that all of these companies, organizations, and applications created or helped facilitate the creation of content for Twitter's platform. In turn, they all drove more eyeballs and traffic and encouraged more use of Twitter.

    However, when forced to make business decisions regarding Twitter, it appears some companies are coming to the same conclusion as Sweden public radio. The country's public broadcaster, Sveriges Radio, announced its decision on Tuesday to "completely stop being active" Twitter, citing continued changes to the platform and Twitter becoming "less important" to the outlet and its audience.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The part that's just ridiculous is his complete lack of impulse control.

    Wanna sue? Speak to some lawyers, figure out grounds, threaten suit through said lawyers.

    But he just snaps, and goes full Michael Scott "BANKRUPTCY LAWSUIT!" like a person who clearly has no fucking idea how this works.

  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    That all reads like they don't think Twitter's reliable or safe enough as a platform to include it any more, like it's not worth the risk/headache to devote dev time to it.

  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    How big is Microsoft Smart Campaigns with Multi-platform(tm) (A fine addition to the Microsoft horrible naming tradition)?

    Is it like as ubiquitous as Google's DoubleClick and thus a major contributor to Twitters ecosystem? Or is it a small fry?
    I can't say I've ever heard of it, but I'm not in the Advertisement business.

  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I honestly don't understand what it does based on those paragraphs.

  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand what it does based on those paragraphs.

    I'm pretty sure that's by design.

  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand what it does based on those paragraphs.

    unified ad campaigns.

    Run a single campaign across multiple networks and let microsoft handle all the campaign header normalization so you can see stuff like where what campaigns performed better, what your spend by network is, etc.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand what it does based on those paragraphs.

    It helps people market and publish corporate content on Twitter.

  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    The part that's just ridiculous is his complete lack of impulse control.

    Wanna sue? Speak to some lawyers, figure out grounds, threaten suit through said lawyers.

    But he just snaps, and goes full Michael Scott "BANKRUPTCY LAWSUIT!" like a person who clearly has no fucking idea how this works.
    It's the impulse of someone who feels they always have to get the last word in, regardless of whether it's witty, accurate, or even relevant.

    "This is a shoddy and sub-standard service"

    "Yeah? Well... YOU'RE a shoddy and sub-standard PERSON"

  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Got it. So it lets a person analyze their various ad campaigns across different social media platforms, and now Twitter will no longer show up as part of that analysis, correct?

  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Got it. So it lets a person analyze their various ad campaigns across different social media platforms, and now Twitter will no longer show up as part of that analysis, correct?

    Also they will have to publish to Twitter separately. So they probably won't, because special handling of one marginal platform is not worth it.

This discussion has been closed.