Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread Leaps Into Rebirth 2/29! (Game out; Tag Spoilers!)

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    but the final fantasy XIV main character is a tall lady roedegyn, I remember it clearly

Yep, always has been. The biggest one possible.

Also, continuing FFX. Decided to take a break from the leveling grind to do some of the side stuff. Finished the chocobo race thing, which was absolutely miserable. Randomly spawning birds and a chocobo that only kind of follows your inputs. Also started up the Blitzball grind. Got a semi-decent team put together. Have a couple people I still need to pick up once their contracts expire. Finished my first tournament and got the first overdrive for Wakka. Working my way through a league right now with no prize I need, after which I need to do another tournament, and 2 more leagues for the other two overdrives and the last piece of Wakka's celestial weapon. So that's another 32ish games >.< Then I need to do Lulu's 200 lightning thing and I should be good on everything other than filling out sphere grids, grinding money, building out endgame gear, and doing final bosses. Also have a couple Jecht spheres to pick up but one of them is locked behind dark valefor and there's one part of Tidus' celestial weapon locked behind dark bahamut.

There's a spot somewhere on the plains that always generates a lightning strike when you walk over it. So you don't have to freeball it and can get into a very easy but monotonous rhythm. Still sucks, but at least it's not a painful suck.

There's a way to save scum the Blitzball prizes I think. Looking it up, you have to finish a tournament/league if you're already in the middle of one. But once you're done, you leave and save, and the next time you open Blitzball it'll generate new prizes, and you can save scum from there. I'm weird, I don't hate Blitzball and didn't actually mind having to play it, but this is probably the way to go if you absolutely loathe it, for understandable reasons.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    but the final fantasy XIV main character is a tall lady roedegyn, I remember it clearly

Also, continuing FFX. Decided to take a break from the leveling grind to do some of the side stuff. Finished the chocobo race thing, which was absolutely miserable. Randomly spawning birds and a chocobo that only kind of follows your inputs. Also started up the Blitzball grind. Got a semi-decent team put together. Have a couple people I still need to pick up once their contracts expire. Finished my first tournament and got the first overdrive for Wakka. Working my way through a league right now with no prize I need, after which I need to do another tournament, and 2 more leagues for the other two overdrives and the last piece of Wakka's celestial weapon. So that's another 32ish games >.< Then I need to do Lulu's 200 lightning thing and I should be good on everything other than filling out sphere grids, grinding money, building out endgame gear, and doing final bosses. Also have a couple Jecht spheres to pick up but one of them is locked behind dark valefor and there's one part of Tidus' celestial weapon locked behind dark bahamut.

There's a spot somewhere on the plains that always generates a lightning strike when you walk over it. So you don't have to freeball it and can get into a very easy but monotonous rhythm. Still sucks, but at least it's not a painful suck.

There's a way to save scum the Blitzball prizes I think. Looking it up, you have to finish a tournament/league if you're already in the middle of one. But once you're done, you leave and save, and the next time you open Blitzball it'll generate new prizes, and you can save scum from there. I'm weird, I don't hate Blitzball and didn't actually mind having to play it, but this is probably the way to go if you absolutely loathe it, for understandable reasons.

Yeah, I'm gonna do the save scumming for it, but you gotta do it before loading up the league/tournament prizes, and this league prize was already locked in. So once I finish this league, I'll save, then repeatedly load until I get the league prize I want. Same deal for the next tournament. And yeah, I know about the lightning thing. But that's still 200 times and it'll take like half an hour of concentration assuming I don't mess it up.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm gonna do the save scumming for it, but you gotta do it before loading up the league/tournament prizes, and this league prize was already locked in. So once I finish this league, I'll save, then repeatedly load until I get the league prize I want. Same deal for the next tournament. And yeah, I know about the lightning thing. But that's still 200 times and it'll take like half an hour of concentration assuming I don't mess it up.

I think it'll be way shorter than a half hour.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I was a little bummed to find out they are doing away with playable party members and are now forced to be generic white guy protagonist #76. That and the combat seems like a big departure - just straight open world third person action rpg. Cautiously optimistic waiting for the reviews.

Note: it's not an open world game.

Also only a generic white guy protagonist in the way almost every Final Fantasy has a generic white guy protagonist. Meaning they look white but thats about the only generic part.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    FF is typically quite shitty about black/brown representation but I also bristle about most of these characters being reduced to "white guy." They usually ambiguously slide into being Japanese or quasi-Japanese for their own audience, as is the overwhelming norm in Japanese comics. (Doubly so for the FFXV boys who look like Japanese fashion models.) See Mukokuseki, which absolutely reflects a caucasian bias or fetishization, but its not like Asians, particularly Japanese, are unrepresented, just because X character has caucasian visual characteristics.

It is pretty anti-racial-diversity, but the monoculture you are getting isn't the white West either. There's no white people doing the original writing for this game, it doesn't reflect a particularly white point of view beyond what has seeped into Japanese people's general consciousness. You are not signing up for the same kind of worldview as with Kal Khestis, Nathan Drake, or whoever you play in Call of Duty. Its not even the same worldview as those behind overly white Western fantasy worlds like Witcher 3 or Deliverance that likely inspired FF16. You're getting Japanese writing still (perhaps overly) aimed at a Japanese audience, who hardly even notice that a "white" guy is delivering the words because there's just minimal opposition in media between that kind of appearance and existing within Japanese norms and social space.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2023
    Man, the story in FFIV was always kinda silly melodrama and wasn't going to win any awards, but it really kinda shits the bed in the end.
    After a comical number of people sacrificing themselves to save the party, the end just kinda... abruptly "just kidding, they survived!"'s the entire cast?

Even Polom and Porom, who you are specifically told can never be unstoned because they chose to be stoned willingly, just "nope, they're back!"

Okay, FF, sure.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That didn't happen in the original release. Your end game cast was Cecil, Rosa, Rydia, Edge, and Kain. The other characters coming back was added on the new version, though I think they originally added it in the 3D FFIV DS version.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2023
    Oh.

That's even weirder! It made more sense as a ham fisted attempt at sentiment at the end from the original writers.

Reminds me of the changes to the story in Lunar: The Silver Star.
    In the original version, the big bad was a hero, but then one of his close friends died and he blamed the goddess, and went mad with grief and rage and tried to destroy her.

When they released it as Silver Star Story, they changed it to him just wanting power because he turned evil for reasons.

It was a really good villain motivation in the original, why would you fuck it up willingly?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Well, not quite. ElJeffe has the right of it originally.
    Even in the original it's the same, everybody save Tellah comes back. It's just that despite the fact that everybody sits around in Mysidia, they don't ever rejoin. The 2D remakes changed this and let them properly rejoin, with added dungeons to give them proper "final dungon" leveled equipment.

But yes, IV is extremely comical with the amount of sacrifices that get reversed. Fuckin' Cid blows himself up and he's OK! Like I said, only Tellah's is the one that actually sticks.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, spent all weekend grinding in FFX. Did all the Blitzball I needed, did the chocobo races, did the lightning dodging, finished all the celestial weapons except Tidus' (which is locked behind Dark Bahamut cause I missed it the first go around), got all the triple AP weapons from One Eye finally, got some money for bribes so I could get auto-haste and double/triple overdrive on everyone, and finally started in on the Don Tonberry grinding. Also gonna have to do a bunch of grinding on other monsters too for all the spheres I need, plus probably some more money. And after I finally finish all that grinding, I can go out and do some ultimate bosses, lol. Still, feels like I've gotten the more obnoxious stuff done. Should be fairly smooth sailing from here.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Are you going for a max sphere grid or something? Like, the full replacement?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

Probably not replacement with master spheres, but yeah, gonna fill em out for everyone.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    The FFII GBA remake had the weirdest remake postgame content IMO. Basically, all your previously dead party members (and a random dude) return to fight through Evil Heaven (as opposed to the main party fighting in Evil Hell). That wouldn't be too weird as a way to create self-contained bonus content... except it isn't self-contained, your returning party members have all their stats and equipment and spells from when they were alive, which means that your party is vastly underlevelled and geared, has vastly different gear and levels than expected, and what spells you learned while they were alive affects what is available in the postgame since you can't buy/acquire everything there. In addition, it's FFII, so levelling isn't just a number that rockets up quickly, all your stats, weapon skills, spell levels, etc. individually train so there's no way to fix your party's extremely wild composition except to do a lot of grinding against postgame enemies with a various-degrees-of-midgame team.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Oh.

That's even weirder! It made more sense as a ham fisted attempt at sentiment at the end from the original writers.

In the original version, the big bad was a hero, but then one of his close friends died and he blamed the goddess, and went mad with grief and rage and tried to destroy her.

When they released it as Silver Star Story, they changed it to him just wanting power because he turned evil for reasons.

It was a really good villain motivation in the original, why would you fuck it up willingly?

That's not even scratching the surface of all the changes they made to TSS, and one of many, many reasons I prefer the original.
    -Luna staying behind has more impact, it makes Alex feel like he really has to leave home.
    h7hsco2zeyjn.png

-Alex has to take on the Magic Guild Trial Cave alone.

-On the return back, Burg's been emptied into a ghost town, and the entire population's been imprisoned by the Grindery,
    (Sure, you can get them back later, but it lands way more of a blow.)

-Ghaleon murdering Quark in cold blood, no capturing BS.

zj25gio8tust.png

And last and definitely not least, they took out the Demi-Ghaleon final boss!

7kth5f2qj27h.png

Mega tangent, but that always irks me whenever Lunar comes up, and is the main reason I got rid of the Completes, the changes irk me way too much.
    (Eternal Blue wasn't nearly as worked over, but it still isn't as impressive as the original.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Couple of people got to play the FFXVI stuff and gave some opinions it's stuff you won't really be surprised by if you're playing attention but I'll put them down anyway.

I watch a guy named MaximilianDood specifically.

Spoilered for size

https://youtu.be/SOM4EO1yREQ

- Said this is probably the most action oriented FF yet and probably the best effort so far. If you're an action game fan the influences are obvious(DMC, Bayonetta, etc)

- Said that even though it's action oriented it's still made in a way that isn't too intimidating for people who aren't used to these games. Seems like they're taking the easy to learn hard to master route but will have to see how they balance ease of use vs depth.

- World Structure is very much like FFX in that it isn't full OW but zones you can go to. There are smaller more on-rail zones that are more curated. But there are also bigger zones for you to explore and stuff.

- Said the plot is obviously going for the Game of Thrones vibe. A bit more "mature" than the usual FF (personal note: I was kind of whatever about this cause calling something Game of Thrones-like is a buzzword these days but we'll see)

- Said that the story seems a bit simpler than your usual jRPG mainly so they can have a bigger focus on the characters and their motivations. But he was also early in so he wasn't sure if that would change later. (It's a jRPG so...probably)

- Game runs at 60fps in fights but switches to 30fps outside of fights. Wasn't sure if this was final.

- Said that his biggest worry is actually the RPG side of things. Said the demo was obviously focused on the action so he didn't really get too many systems to mess around with.

But he also said there was a lot of stuff that he didn't get to interact with(like you collect items for crafting but crafting wasn't unlocked yet where he was) he also didn't have all the skill trees unlocked.

- Overall had a very positive impression of the game and mainly wanted to see more.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wow these are some extremely positive previews. Seems like this game is gonna be legit good.

• Options

Probably not replacement with master spheres, but yeah, gonna fill em out for everyone.

As a follow up to this, I gotta say, just doing the manual work of filling out the sphere grid for each character is actually pretty time consuming itself. That thing is fucking massive and actually activating each node along the way isn't particularly quick.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    https://blog.playstation.com/2023/05/22/how-square-enix-built-final-fantasy-xvis-fantastical-believable-lived-in-world/
    It’s a robust hands-on. We first sample the game’s opening hours, a flashback to a key period in Clive Rosfield’s youth that sets up what’s to come. (It’s this section that players will experience in a public demo which drops ahead of the full game’s launch.)

Demo before launch. Nice.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm pretty OK with a focus on characters instead of story, if they actually do it properly...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I mean characters are story, ideally they should be intertwined and inseparable. if you get characters right the story can be playing a game of blackjack. Depending on whether they actually write the characters well that should be the focus, otherwise it’s just empty plot points.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I mean characters are story, ideally they should be intertwined and inseparable. if you get characters right the story can be playing a game of blackjack. Depending on whether they actually write the characters well that should be the focus, otherwise it’s just empty plot points.

Yes! Good characters and meaningful arcs can carry an otherwise trite story

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Oh.

That's not even scratching the surface of all the changes they made to TSS, and one of many, many reasons I prefer the original.
    -Luna staying behind has more impact, it makes Alex feel like he really has to leave home.
    h7hsco2zeyjn.png

-On the return back, Burg's been emptied into a ghost town, and the entire population's been imprisoned by the Grindery,

zj25gio8tust.png

7kth5f2qj27h.png

Mega tangent, but that always irks me whenever Lunar comes up, and is the main reason I got rid of the Completes, the changes irk me way too much.
    (Eternal Blue wasn't nearly as worked over, but it still isn't as impressive as the original.)

I would give all my monies for a straight port of Lunar:TSS to any goddamn system. Don't need a pixel remake, just the same damned game that ran on the Sega CD.

I don't even know who owns the rights to that anymore.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Oh.

h7hsco2zeyjn.png

zj25gio8tust.png

7kth5f2qj27h.png

I would give all my monies for a straight port of Lunar:TSS to any goddamn system. Don't need a pixel remake, just the same damned game that ran on the Sega CD.

I don't even know who owns the rights to that anymore.

GameArts, pretty much, but Working Designs/Victor Ireland owns the rights to the localization, and wouldn't let it be on the Sega Mini 2 because Sega wouldn't pay him enough.
    (I wish I was kidding.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Working Designs translations were good in the dark ages of minimal effort english translations, but those days are LONG gone.

I know you could easily get someone to do just as good a job and likely better easily for that.

Gamearts like, is such a sad state of affairs. I can't believe that same company made some of the best JRPGs I ever played. Then just fell apart. It sucks.

The original release of Lunar : Eternal Blue is a game I will likely replay over and over till the day I die. Just nails everything I liked about an RPG.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Hearing about this weird thing where walking around it’s 30fps but when combat starts up it’s 60. I hope that’s not final cos I could imagine that being jarring. Like the worst part about 30fps is when you go to it from 60fps.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty convinced that FF16 isn't going to be for me, but there's a ton of other spiritual FF games out there to enjoy.

I think this will be a 'buy at a 50%' game for me.

I'm glad the design is changing, obviously games like God of War and Horizon have this whole action-RPG down to a successful science, but I want my four party members in a little row while I navigate menus.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Prohass wrote: »
    Hearing about this weird thing where walking around it’s 30fps but when combat starts up it’s 60. I hope that’s not final cos I could imagine that being jarring. Like the worst part about 30fps is when you go to it from 60fps.

I can't imagine there won't just be a choice like usual. Gimme my 4k30 all the time please.

I wanna see everything in this game looking as pretty as possible.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Well the issue is people are saying this happened when they put it in performance mode.

I'm sure the visual mode is more than likely 30/30.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well the issue is people are saying this happened when they put it in performance mode.

I'm sure the visual mode is more than likely 30/30.

Ahh, so im safe either way!

• Options
    Playing though Intergrade I'm kind of hoping the next FF7R has more advanced tactics options for your AI partners.

Cause micromanaging them can be overwhelming at times but they aren't as effective as I would like on their own.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Working Designs translations were good in the dark ages of minimal effort english translations, but those days are LONG gone.

I know you could easily get someone to do just as good a job and likely better easily for that.

Gamearts like, is such a sad state of affairs. I can't believe that same company made some of the best JRPGs I ever played. Then just fell apart. It sucks.

The original release of Lunar : Eternal Blue is a game I will likely replay over and over till the day I die. Just nails everything I liked about an RPG.

You can pinpoint the exact moment GA fell apart: when they Old Yeller'd Studio Alex(after Magical School Lunar).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'm worried that any kind of reboot or remake of Lunar is going to run straight into the "Seinfeld is Unfunny" trope. Where the game and story are extremely trope-y and paint-by-numbers, but at the time ain't nobody ever seen those paints or numbers. The game's humongous twist is now one anybody will see coming a metric mile away. It's a legit bigger twist if they didn't do it!
    That twist being that the super evil looking Sephiroth motherfucker is the villain. Except this is the guy that arguably started that trend, because it was never a thing before.

Still though, in this day and age of nostalgia, I suppose there's nothing wrong with trying to bring it back. And... I dunno, I never played the original, only the Complete, and it was fine? I even kind of agree with some of the changes they made.
    I think having Luna come with you works better? I think you're trading the impact of Alex leaving home for the increased impact of when she gets kidnapped. Like I said, never played the original, but if I have it right then she leaves the party in like the first few hours of the game, So I kind of agree with the decision to keep her and let you develop more of an attachment to her.

• Options
    Alright here's a good little bit of info from the recent JPN interviews:
    The game is a Dark Fantasy but it's not all that dark, look forward to the comedy, love stories, sparkling and warm stories. Yoshi-P will get angry if they sell "dark fantasy" too hard

Sorry Yoshi-p, everyone is already calling it grimdark lol.

But hell yea, I figured this would be the case and they've mentioned it before. And we've seen a lot of notes that Clive is not some sad/all revenge edgelord. But it's nice seeing them really make a point of this again.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I haven't kept up with all the news or anything since earlier stuff. But the snippets I've seen of 16 are all very dark and gritty looking. So uhhh, maybe they should really think of that first impression they're making :tongue:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Alright here's a good little bit of info from the recent JPN interviews:
    The game is a Dark Fantasy but it's not all that dark, look forward to the comedy, love stories, sparkling and warm stories. Yoshi-P will get angry if they sell "dark fantasy" too hard

Sorry Yoshi-p, everyone is already calling it grimdark lol.

But hell yea, I figured this would be the case and they've mentioned it before. And we've seen a lot of notes that Clive is not some sad/all revenge edgelord. But it's nice seeing them really make a point of this again.

Well I'm glad the director is at least conscious of that himself. Gives me a bit of hope.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    I haven't kept up with all the news or anything since earlier stuff. But the snippets I've seen of 16 are all very dark and gritty looking. So uhhh, maybe they should really think of that first impression they're making :tongue:

That's kinda the thing, he's not in charge of marketing and what is meant by the "they" Yoshi-P would be mad at.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    "Salvation" trailer from today's PS Showcase:

https://youtu.be/_CrV3hkJuvs

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I’m so hyped for this game. Give me the demo now, please need it!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Gonna keep avoiding trailers. Also god daaaaamn the sphere grid grind is real. Finished all the base spheres for everyone and am working on filling in all the blank spots. Accidentally gave myself a bit too much agility, but hopefully it won't screw up my stats elsewhere. I think I'm skipping magic and MP and maybe HP, so I should have enough slots to max out all the stuff that actually matters and also build up some luck, at least into the 70s, maybe higher. Luck is an absolute nightmare to get, though, compared to the others. Every 8 points is 9 somewhat long mindless boss fights of grinding. Maybe more if they drop dark matter instead of the spheres you need.

Edit: Also, was hunting for some FF wallpapers and came across this which is fun (reduced size for the forums).

gBmUXM3h.jpg
    https://imgur.com/gBmUXM3

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I couldn't figure out why Aerith-Yuna in the first picture is drawn as an elf. But it's her bow, not her ears.

This discussion has been closed.