Options

[Elon Musk] A Quarantine Thread

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Musk doesn't wish he was Hughes because he already believes he's Tony Stark.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Musk doesn't wish he was Hughes because he already believes he's Tony Stark.

Dudes not even Justin Hammer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »
    In a the recent CNBC interview, Musk misquoted The Princess Bride when defending his erratic tweeting .
    “You know, I’m reminded of. There’s a scene in ‘The Princess Bride’ — great movie — where he confronts the person who killed his father and he says, ‘Offer me money, offer me power, I don’t care,’” Musk told his interviewer, David Faber.

“So you just don’t care?” Faber asked.

“I’ll say what I want to say and if the consequence of that is losing money, so be it,” Musk responded.

Mandy Patinkin, who delivered the line in question in the movie, took offence to both the misquote and the misinterpretation.

Okay, misinterpretation of the Princess Bride here aside... there's a full twenty seconds between being asked the question "So hey, what happens if a dude doesn't want to advertise with you any more?" and Musk starting his response. Had he... had he just never considered the possibility before?

the extended silence in response was concerning and wierd, like we was a chatgp instance that was searching it's databank for a response, all of the blue checkmark brigade responding with such unadulterated fan boy love was actually scary.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    That was your classic, "Elon, think now, don't blow this, think about all the memes you've looked at, think about all the time you've spent surfing the internet in preparation for this one moment. Bring your a game. I got it, let's misremember a line from the Princess Bride!"

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »
    In a the recent CNBC interview, Musk misquoted The Princess Bride when defending his erratic tweeting .
    “You know, I’m reminded of. There’s a scene in ‘The Princess Bride’ — great movie — where he confronts the person who killed his father and he says, ‘Offer me money, offer me power, I don’t care,’” Musk told his interviewer, David Faber.

“So you just don’t care?” Faber asked.

“I’ll say what I want to say and if the consequence of that is losing money, so be it,” Musk responded.

Mandy Patinkin, who delivered the line in question in the movie, took offence to both the misquote and the misinterpretation.

Okay, misinterpretation of the Princess Bride here aside... there's a full twenty seconds between being asked the question "So hey, what happens if a dude doesn't want to advertise with you any more?" and Musk starting his response. Had he... had he just never considered the possibility before?

I would imagine that he was trying to think of an answer that wasn't the truth, which is and has been 'We attempt to extort them via the culture war machine'.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    All that money and he's being shifty about building a bathroom.

I'm gonna guess it wasn't about the money, it was about the long permit process and he wanted it NOW

wj6ssilvc32e.png

234. For example, Davis told Killian that Musk wanted to add a bathroom next to his
    office so that Musk didn't have to wake his security team and cross half the floor to use the
    bathroom in the middle of the night.
    235. Killian explained that it would take time to get the necessary permits, but
    promised to begin that process right away.
    236. In response, Davis instructed Killian not to bother with obtaining permits because,
    to paraphrase, we don't do that, we don't have to follow those rules.
    237. Shocked, Killian reminded Davis that if they did not get a permit, no licensed
    plumber would perform the work for fear of jeopardizing their license.
    238. Davis responded by instructing Killian to hire an unlicensed plumber instead.
    239. Now thoroughly bewildered, Killian attempted to explain that the use of licensed
    tradespeople was a condition of their lease, and that failure to abide by it would put them in
    breach of that lease.
    240. Davis responded that management did not care about any of this, that they weren't
    interested in ensuring that the work was performed in accordance with the standards required by
    the lease, by the City of San Francisco, by the State of California, or any other authority, they
    just wanted it done.
    241. It got worse.
    242. Musk announced via the Transition Team that he was going to be installing hotel
    rooms at Twitter HQ .
    243. Killian was initially told that the hotel rooms, soon renamed to sleeping
    rooms to avoid triggering the suspicions of the city inspectors, were just being installed to give
    exhausted and overworked employees a place to nap.
    244. Though the changes had initially been simple, if unorthodox--removing a
    conference table and installing a bed--Davis instructed Killian to begin planning for and
    implementing the addition of features like en-suite bathrooms and other changes to the physical plant.
    245. Concerned about how city inspectors would react to Twitter's plans, Killian
    emailed the Transition Team to note that the changes they had made thus far were limited to just
    furniture and therefore were code compliant, but that Twitter's future planned changes would
    require permits and more complicated code compliance.
    246. In response , Hollander visited him in person and emphatically instructed him to
    never put anything about the project in writing again.
    247. Hollander appeared surprised and distressed that Killian did not inherently
    understand that this was not a project for which Musk and the Transition Team wanted a written
    record.
    248. Hollander specifically conveyed that Davis in particular was upset that Killian
    had sent the email.

When your boss goes all Stringer Bell on you regarding taking notes on your job that’s a red flag

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I'm gonna guess it wasn't about the money, it was about the long permit process and he wanted it NOW

wj6ssilvc32e.png

234. For example, Davis told Killian that Musk wanted to add a bathroom next to his
    office so that Musk didn't have to wake his security team and cross half the floor to use the
    235. Killian explained that it would take time to get the necessary permits, but
    236. In response, Davis instructed Killian not to bother with obtaining permits because,
    237. Shocked, Killian reminded Davis that if they did not get a permit, no licensed
    238. Davis responded by instructing Killian to hire an unlicensed plumber instead.
    239. Now thoroughly bewildered, Killian attempted to explain that the use of licensed
    tradespeople was a condition of their lease, and that failure to abide by it would put them in
    breach of that lease.
    240. Davis responded that management did not care about any of this, that they weren't
    interested in ensuring that the work was performed in accordance with the standards required by
    the lease, by the City of San Francisco, by the State of California, or any other authority, they
    just wanted it done.
    241. It got worse.
    242. Musk announced via the Transition Team that he was going to be installing hotel
    rooms at Twitter HQ .
    rooms to avoid triggering the suspicions of the city inspectors, were just being installed to give
    conference table and installing a bed--Davis instructed Killian to begin planning for and
    implementing the addition of features like en-suite bathrooms and other changes to the physical plant.
    245. Concerned about how city inspectors would react to Twitter's plans, Killian
    emailed the Transition Team to note that the changes they had made thus far were limited to just
    furniture and therefore were code compliant, but that Twitter's future planned changes would
    246. In response , Hollander visited him in person and emphatically instructed him to
    247. Hollander appeared surprised and distressed that Killian did not inherently
    understand that this was not a project for which Musk and the Transition Team wanted a written
    record.
    248. Hollander specifically conveyed that Davis in particular was upset that Killian
    had sent the email.

When your boss goes all Stringer Bell on you regarding taking notes on your job that’s a red flag

That's when you carefully and independently document everything and make sure they are now 'contemporaneous notes'.

If you don't know what that means, it's notes that are established at that point in time that become extremely difficult to disprove.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    zagdrob wrote: »

wj6ssilvc32e.png

breach of that lease.
    just wanted it done.
    241. It got worse.
    rooms at Twitter HQ .
    record.
    had sent the email.

That's when you carefully and independently document everything and make sure they are now 'contemporaneous notes'.

If you don't know what that means, it's notes that are established at that point in time that become extremely difficult to disprove.

One of the few things James Comey did right, even if they were only used in the wet fart that was the Mueller Report and the first impeachment trial.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    I bet the weird personal security stuff is just another sad flex. "Look at me, I'm so important people want to send assassins after me!"

He's clearly just following the path forged by Howard Hughes. His wealth divorces him from reality, and his constant online presence has him seeing opponents everywhere. He's unable to reflect on his own self, so obviously anyone who criticizes him is 'out to get him'. The step to believing assassins are everywhere is pretty short step.

Howard Hughes did stuff.

Musk wishes he was Howard Hughes.

Designed everything from bras, to ahead of the curve aircraft, truly an engineer for the record books.

Seriously ballsy too (crazy or brave, who knows), he nearly killed himself multiple times test flying his own experimental aircraft. Won't catch Musk doing that.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So Musk is so paranoid that, at Twitter, the place he owns, he's afraid of walking across an office in the middle of the night to pee without having armed guards by him.

Being Elon Musk must be exhausting.
    There's a line in a book (The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie (yes, the actor). It's good) about someone who 'desperately wanted to believe he was important enough to have enemies', and hired the main character as a bodyguard to bolster the fantasy. I feel like that applies here.
    There's the mindset of 'some people don't like me, therefore some people must want to actually hit me'. You see it with some politicians who get shouted at in public, and they immediately go 'what if they hadn't shouted at me, what if they'd thrown weaponised Ebola at me?' They can't see a difference between disapproval and actually wanting them dead.
    Has there been any actual case of someone attacking Musk to justify the paranoia? Someone lunging at him with a gun, anything?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So Musk is so paranoid that, at Twitter, the place he owns, he's afraid of walking across an office in the middle of the night to pee without having armed guards by him.

Being Elon Musk must be exhausting.
    There's a line in a book (The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie (yes, the actor). It's good) about someone who 'desperately wanted to believe he was important enough to have enemies', and hired the main character as a bodyguard to bolster the fantasy. I feel like that applies here.
    There's the mindset of 'some people don't like me, therefore some people must want to actually hit me'. You see it with some politicians who get shouted at in public, and they immediately go 'what if they hadn't shouted at me, what if they'd thrown weaponised Ebola at me?' They can't see a difference between disapproval and actually wanting them dead.
    Has there been any actual case of someone attacking Musk to justify the paranoia? Someone lunging at him with a gun, anything?

The man came from the birthplace of the car mounted defensive flamethrower.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Oops, wrong thread! :blush:

ironzerg on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    I bet the weird personal security stuff is just another sad flex. "Look at me, I'm so important people want to send assassins after me!"

He's clearly just following the path forged by Howard Hughes. His wealth divorces him from reality, and his constant online presence has him seeing opponents everywhere. He's unable to reflect on his own self, so obviously anyone who criticizes him is 'out to get him'. The step to believing assassins are everywhere is pretty short step.

Howard Hughes did stuff.

Musk wishes he was Howard Hughes.

Designed everything from bras, to ahead of the curve aircraft, truly an engineer for the record books.

Seriously ballsy too (crazy or brave, who knows), he nearly killed himself multiple times test flying his own experimental aircraft. Won't catch Musk doing that.

Hey, if he'd done it with the last Space X rocket, a lot of problems would have been solved.

Maybe people should start comparing him to Howard Hughes, he gets that in his head, then gets called out for not being bold enough...

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Today in credulous dipshittery:

The lesson: a little research means you can avoid a diet of sole.

Edit:
    will be hard to top today's entry in the "Sir, this is a Wendy's" category

FwcBHF7WAAUqBwe?format=png&name=900x900

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm sure his fanclub promptly chimed in to claim (somehow) that this is a lie, Musk-sempai couldn't be wrong, Dear Leader is never wrong.

I can't bring myself to actually care, though.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2023

wj6ssilvc32e.png

breach of that lease.
    just wanted it done.
    241. It got worse.
    rooms at Twitter HQ .
    record.
    had sent the email.

holy shit I wish I worked at twitter, I'd just carefully and respectfully e-mail about every single thing I was asked to do and when fired my new work from home job would be "wait for a settlement while my lawyer shows the receipts to Musk's bewildered and haggard legal team"

override367 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm sure his fanclub promptly chimed in to claim (somehow) that this is a lie, Musk-sempai couldn't be wrong, Dear Leader is never wrong.

This imposter doesn't even have a verification checkmark, he's obviously lying![/muskcult]

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I'm sure the blue crew will not believe it cause Mr. Kahle hasn't coughed up the $8 bucks.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

I'm sure the blue crew will not believe it cause Mr. Kahle hasn't coughed up the $8 bucks.

They have latched on to the fact you can request material be removed from the archive at all to be “concerning”. It’s… painfully stupid and I’m sorry I read the comments as always.

• Options

They have latched on to the fact you can request material be removed from the archive at all to be “concerning”. It’s… painfully stupid and I’m sorry I read the comments as always.

I have to imagine that things like GDPR and other data privacy laws would make it necessary for the archives to have some process for removing at least certain types of data to remain in compliance. Plus if they somehow scrape illegal or copyright material there needs to be some take-down process.

• Options

OK, I'm never not going to imagine all the Elon fanboys on Twitter as anything other than Tobias Fünke.

Signing up for paid Twitter...

edf80dxvf63i.png

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

wj6ssilvc32e.png

breach of that lease.
    just wanted it done.
    241. It got worse.
    rooms at Twitter HQ .
    record.
    had sent the email.

holy shit I wish I worked at twitter, I'd just carefully and respectfully e-mail about every single thing I was asked to do and when fired my new work from home job would be "wait for a settlement while my lawyer shows the receipts to Musk's bewildered and haggard legal team"

Personally I'd take the safer route and just submit long ass code to prove how valuable I am.

Doesn't matter that I don't know how to code, I'm pretty sure Musk doesn't know anymore either. If he ever actually did.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I'm sure you could just open a BMP in Word and tell him it was Assembly

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    I'm sure you could just open a BMP in Word and tell him it was Assembly

20070716-Ncc7byrX-p2@2x.jpg20070716-Ncc7byrX-p3@2x.jpg

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I wonder if there's any chance Bellingcat can sue Musk for defamation.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Bellingcat doesn't care.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/23/us/politics/desantis-elon-musk-twitter.html
    Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida is planning to announce the start of his 2024 presidential campaign on Wednesday in a live audio conversation on Twitter with Elon Musk, the platform’s polarizing owner, according to people with knowledge of his plans.

Mr. DeSantis’s entry into the Republican primary race against former President Donald J. Trump has been widely expected, but the decision to do so with Mr. Musk adds a surprising element and gives Mr. DeSantis access to a large audience online. NBC News first reported the plans.
    Free speech absolutist to actively platform person banning books

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/23/us/politics/desantis-elon-musk-twitter.html
    Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida is planning to announce the start of his 2024 presidential campaign on Wednesday in a live audio conversation on Twitter with Elon Musk, the platform’s polarizing owner, according to people with knowledge of his plans.

Mr. DeSantis’s entry into the Republican primary race against former President Donald J. Trump has been widely expected, but the decision to do so with Mr. Musk adds a surprising element and gives Mr. DeSantis access to a large audience online. NBC News first reported the plans.
    Free speech absolutist to actively platform person banning books

You just said a thing that will not be brought up once in the coverage of this clusterfuck of an announcement.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    No see, it's fine, musk has clarified that free speech allows for the government to ban things, it is only private entities that cannot.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    No see, it's fine, musk has clarified that free speech allows for the government to ban things, it is only private entities that cannot.

Oh - it all makes sense when you put it that way.

Why is there blood leaking out of my ears?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, the grand announcements for Twitter's grand video ambitions are 1) Tucker Carlson after he managed to get too racist for Fox News, and 2) Ron DeSantis.

...am I missing anything? No Property Brothers or some TikToker that does dog videos or such, just those two fascist wannabes?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Except Twitter. Twitter is absolutely allowed to ban things.

Like publicly available records.

Because assassination threats.

It's almost as if there's no coherent philosophy or logic to his claims, and he's just making things up so that he can do what he wants, promote who he wants, and the claims about free speech are just a shield he uses to protect his abhorrent views on things while punishing people he perceives as enemies.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    i imagine this whole thing will be scripted, i mean otherwise nothing could go wrong trying to put two of the most awkward human beings together to try to have a conversation on camera to announce a campaign where public perception is everything right?

i'm really hoping elon makes one of his jokes that only he thinks is funny and then desantis does that weird imhuman laugh thing that he does in response and then they just sit and stare at each other in silence for like 15 seconds

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i imagine this whole thing will be scripted, i mean otherwise nothing could go wrong trying to put two of the most awkward human beings together to try to have a conversation on camera to announce a campaign where public perception is everything right?

i'm really hoping elon makes one of his jokes that only he thinks is funny and then desantis does that weird imhuman laugh thing that he does in response and then they just sit and stare at each other in silence for like 15 seconds

It's definitely going to be a shitshow.

I mean I'm not going to watch it because blood would run out my ears, but it's definitely going to be an epic shitshow.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So, the grand announcements for Twitter's grand video ambitions are 1) Tucker Carlson after he managed to get too racist for Fox News, and 2) Ron DeSantis.

...am I missing anything? No Property Brothers or some TikToker that does dog videos or such, just those two fascist wannabes?

Daily Wire is apparently doing something on twitter as well

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    if you were property brothers or a tiktoker that does dog videos why do you want to host your video on the nazi website that currently refuses to pay any of it's outstanding debts quote over [elon musk's] dead body unquote

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    How has twitter not been evicted yet?

• Options

Probably a combination of laws in place in a Democratically controlled state, and a landlord not wanting to get into a shitfight with someone that can drop a Brinks truck on them, and has the temperament to do so.

The latter is the same reason Trump gets away with not paying for shit all the time. Yes, you might win the legal fight, but it'll be long, drawn out, and quite possibly end with the court not actually enforcing shit. "The court said you owe me $X." "Make me."

Of course, the alternative is just hoping that you'll get paid. And that rarely works out.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    MorganV wrote: »

Probably a combination of laws in place in a Democratically controlled state, and a landlord not wanting to get into a shitfight with someone that can drop a Brinks truck on them, and has the temperament to do so.

The latter is the same reason Trump gets away with not paying for shit all the time. Yes, you might win the legal fight, but it'll be long, drawn out, and quite possibly end with the court not actually enforcing shit. "The court said you owe me $X." "Make me."

Of course, the alternative is just hoping that you'll get paid. And that rarely works out.

Also, right now, who else is going to fill that space? It will probably sit empty for years before they could refill it, and a new tenant would demand a bunch of upgrades and changes.
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

It's definitely going to be a shitshow.

I mean I'm not going to watch it because blood would run out my ears, but it's definitely going to be an epic shitshow.

What could possibly go wrong when two, ultra thin skinned fascists, get in a room together to talk politics?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Also, right now, who else is going to fill that space? It will probably sit empty for years before they could refill it, and a new tenant would demand a bunch of upgrades and changes.

"please remove the port-a-potty from the CEOs office"

This discussion has been closed.