Options

ITS A [movies] FIRESALE (CRITERON SALE ENDS 7/28, ARROW SALE ENDS 7/31)

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My Cousin Vinny continues to rule, but man this whole story falls apart if the internet exists.

So?

I didn't mean it pejoratively, just that the entire story hinges on the Judge not finding out Vinny's past and the climax of the film is waiting for a fax.

It would have been over on the first day he arrived.

I had forgotten the whole string of 'Vinny doesn't get any sleep's, which is very funny.

when Vinny almost gets into a barfight with that guy and keeps bamboozling him and eventually gets tired of it and just lays the dude out

fuckin' Pesci had to hop into the air for his fist to reach that dude's cheek

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I mean, there's a zillion horror movies that would immediately fall apart if everyone had a cellphone like they do now.

like Scream; Drew Barrymore never would have answered the phone because who answers a call from an unknown number?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I bet small arms aren't doing shit against a giant spider monster

What about their small legs?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'll probably get roasted for this but I watched John Wick Chapter 4 last evening and I think it was both one of the stupidest and most boring movies I've watched in a reaaaaally long time. I've never been a giant fan of the series beyond the first one so I'm not sure what I was expecting here.

It felt like cliché piled on top of cliché in the most uninteresting/"we're taking this super seriously" kind of way. I also found that the action scenes were some of the most exhausting parts to watch in the film.

Also, so so many people in fat suits or suits that are so small that they make the person in it look like a giant.

I genuinely don't get the appeal!

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2023
    My take is that all of the Wick movies should have been around 100 minutes. The first one was 101 and it was snappy and focused. The short run time meant they had to world build through inference, which is 10000% better than when they decided to do world building through exposition.

The last one being 170 minutes is just more proof that we're in an era of bloat.

A duck! on
  • Options
    *does an awkward somersault takedown and shoots a man in a fatsuit in the face*

Rinse and repeat that for 2+ hours and you got a John Wick brewing baby!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

no clue if this is actually legit, but man we need more of this kinda method acting

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sounds like she made a conscious choice to be the anti-Leto after having to deal with his shit.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    she wanted to cultivate gosling's true kenergy

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    my cousin vinny isn't a period piece, but making things in small town america feel slightly behind the times is a time honored hollywood tradition

Once again it is rural alabama. I remember waffle house not having a credit card reader until I was in college.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    she wanted to cultivate gosling's true kenergy

It seems like he was already full of Kenergy, but I guess adding more isn't a problem. Unless he can't shed the Kenergy after the shoot ended.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure there was only one guy in a fatsuit in all of JW4?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    My take is that all of the Wick movies should have been around 100 minutes. The first one was 101 and it was snappy and focused. The short run time meant they had to world build through inference, which is 10000% better than when they decided to do world building through exposition.

The last one being 170 minutes is just more proof that we're in an era of bloat.

The last one is 170 minutes long?!?!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

2 hours 49 minutes! All of 9 minutes shorter than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

2 hours 49 minutes! All of 9 minutes shorter than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

That is cinematically indulgent

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Yep!

Scott Adkins, still busting out sick spin kicks in a prosthetic!

I adore the entire John Wick series. It is one of the few action movie series that consistently overdelivers on my "Show me one action bit I've never seen before" criteria.

Yeah, I could see where the edits needed to happen (that first act needed to lose about 15 minutes, easy), but John Wick Chapter 4 hit me with 3 action bits I've never seen before (including one where I started giggling in the theater with how giddy it made me) and I love it immensely for that.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    John Wick appears to have reviewed very well by both audiences and critics while grossing more than anything else in the franchise, so while it sounds indulgent/overlong for an action movie with a premise that's more interesting the less the world is filled in, it's clearly hitting some sort of audience that likes it.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options

90% of the Marquis' suit henchmen looked like they were either in fatsuits or suits that were 3x too small for them.

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    John Wick appears to have reviewed very well by both audiences and critics while grossing more than anything else in the franchise, so while it sounds indulgent/overlong for an action movie with a premise that's more interesting the less the world is filled in, it's clearly hitting some sort of audience that likes it.

Yes, yes, popular = good, we've heard it before.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I absolutely love John Wick but I didn’t bother seeing 4 in the theaters.

I’m sure it will be good but it’s so long I decided against it.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    I bet John Wick 4 doesn't have a single musical sequence.

Simply doesn't deserve a runtime that long.

Zonugal on
  • Options

Is not an action scene with a soundtrack not a musical sequence?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Can't wait for John Wick 5, where we learn the High Table are actually a secretive cabal of sorcerers who need to bring Wick back to life for reasons.
    Then we find out that the complicated system of coins and markers and tickets and whatever else is going on are actually part of a vast necromantic rite to place the High Table in charge of the entire planet instead of just their world spanning network of super assassins and luxury hotels.

• Options

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying it has an audience and that audience of critics and fans seem to like it. I don't have any desire to watch a 3-hour action movie in an increasingly silly world, but it seems like there is an appetite for this specific indulgent action movie.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2023
    You gotta admit that "necromantic illuminati" would be more coherent and sensical than "some kind of underworld UN."

tynic on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Every movie that wants to have a runtime longer than 120 minutes should have a musical number and/or dance sequence

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I don't hate the Wick franchise, I think those movies are fine, but I also think there are so few theatrically released R-rated action movies these days that it has gotten a fair amount of juice from feeling like counter-programming

If it wasn't the only game in town, I wonder if it'd have quite so many season ticket holders

• Options

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying it has an audience and that audience of critics and fans seem to like it. I don't have any desire to watch a 3-hour action movie in an increasingly silly world, but it seems like there is an appetite for this specific indulgent action movie.

The appeal is that most movies action scenes are not really well thought out or are largely done with CGI while Wick's are put together with care and attention to the details.

• Options
    I don't hate the Wick franchise, I think those movies are fine, but I also think there are so few theatrically released R-rated action movies these days that it has gotten a fair amount of juice from feeling like counter-programming

If it wasn't the only game in town, I wonder if it'd have quite so many season ticket holders

Yeah, this too. It's definitely filling a void where intensely choreographed, high-violence action movies used to be, because for some reason executives decided PG-13 is the only thing that sells (god, Die Hard In Russia or whatever sucked ass)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ch6zp2gxfb2b.png

Huh, Vanilla renders transparency as post background color for reactions except if reacting to a mod, and then it replies as mod-role colors instead. That's a cute little bug.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Magell wrote: »

Is not an action scene with a soundtrack not a musical sequence?

No

THIS is a musical sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAzlWScHTc4

Zonugal on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Joaquin Phoenix & Rooney Mara Movie 'The Island' Shut Down On Eve Of Shoot As Indie Movie Sector Faces Insurance Crisis Over SAG-AFTRA Strike Fears

This is interesting. Insurance companies seem to think an actor strike is likely enough that they're not bonding movies that could be impacted by it

This currently only effects indie movies, which is shitty collateral damage - studios are big enough that they can just bond their own shit. But that just illustrates how valuable it is to shut down studio productions - the money they lose comes directly out of their own coffers.

• Options
    I watch that every time I see it posted anywhere and it still whips ass every time. I love them just appearing out of nowhere behind Jennifer in the beginning. That and how they teach everybody the dance and then it becomes a dance battle. That and Ram taking a dive so his friend can impress a girl.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean technically speaking that is what the word means! If something is successful at its intentions then it is good. Intentions are the most important bit of something being good, so by all accounts it is a very good film of this type.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

90% of the Marquis' suit henchmen looked like they were either in fatsuits or suits that were 3x too small for them.

Dude those were just beefy boys!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That's only true if you assume the overriding intention is popularity

Which might be true, but is a damned cynical way to look at art regardless

• Options
    Today’s Tubi Deep Dive begins with

Somebody Help Me (2007) Directed by Chris Stokes and starring Marques Houston, Omarion, Brooklyn Sudano…etc…

Other movies directed by Chris Stokes

House Party 4
    You Got Served
    No Vacancy
    Somebody Help Me 2
    ‘Til Death Do Us Part
    The Stepmother

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

That is cinematically indulgent

Nothing wrong with indulgence. What are you, Martin Luther?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    On the good/bad/popular discussion

I’ve tried to stop referring to things as bad. Just because I don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s necessarily bad. Also just because I like something doesn’t mean it isn’t bad.

I’ve been trying to use entertaining and boring more often since that’s really the difference

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    That's only true if you assume the overriding intention is popularity

Which might be true, but is a damned cynical way to look at art regardless

Well thats what the purpose of critics are. They are looking at the art from a critical perspective and stating how well it meets its intentions.

So if folks looking at a film from the perspective of seeing how well it meets its interpreted intentions are largely agreeing that it does, and the intended audience is also largely being entertained that seems to cover all grounds there.

I'd say ignoring all of that to avoid calling something good is a far more cynical viewpoint.

This discussion has been closed.