Options

Consider Fate Badly Tempted [Chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    the amount of stagger you get out of a jump attack with a two handed heavy weapon is huge

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    the amount of stagger you get out of a jump attack with a two handed heavy weapon is huge

I'm generally enamored by dualwielding rapid attacks (bleed is a bonus), but there is immense satisfaction in just going *SPLAT* on some fool with a jump attack.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Hand Egg is the purest expression of American sports and I hate it. Especially the way it's been mutated to better fit commercial TV. You spend 5 minutes setting up a play only for the whole thing to be over in 30 seconds. Than it's another 5 minutes of "analysis" and replay followed by an ad break and sponsor reads. You get back for another 5 minutes of recap, setup and finally a 30 second play.

So much is said about so little and I find American Football to be even more tedious to watch than baseball. At least with baseball something is throwing a ball every minute or 2.

The quintessential American Sports - baseball and football - are fundamentally asymmetric play state machines, the amount of freeform play is minimal, each team has a role and can't just swap (runners can't get fielders out, the defense can only take the ball in very specific scenarios), enormous amounts of time are spent in stoppage where nothing happens (technically in baseball it's always live unless fouled but in practice nobody steals until the pitch) until a singular event (pitch, play) occurs which can change the state (down, yardage, count, out, base status) and then you stop and set up for the next event. Eventually you give the ball to the other team and swap roles

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    also one thing worth noting is that the difference between light/medium load is fairly marginal and there's a penalty to your defense if you leave an equipment slot empty

spent a bunch of the game partially naked trying to keep my load light, oops

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think it's fucking funny. You getting snagged by some dude you couldn't see coming, just knowing some dev at their HQ is snickering in their cubicle while putting it in the game.

I don't think there's anything nearly as unapproachable as Iudex Gundyr from DS3: Hard as nails, you couldn't level, you can't get around him, and he's there basically to say if you can't beat him, you ain't gonna survive. Elden Ring is way more gracious.

See but to me that kinda goes under the same category as the devs of The Division that intentionally made the gear progression suck because they literally "wanted to make a game where you could gank other players"

Once that came out everything about why the DZ sucked but was the only real way to obtain high end gear at launch made so much more sense.

Nothing in the Souls progression sucks like that. I’m talking about people you don’t see around a corner stabbing you in the back as you pass by. Single enemies, single encounters, not ratfucking an entire system.

I was talking more about the idea of devs trolling players. I have no idea what the progression in a Souls game is like since the last fantasy Fromsoft game I played was King's Field :tongue:

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Was anyone actually able to ise the giant fuckoff pizza cutter wheel as a legitimate weapon? I spent so many points just getting the stats to use it and then it was useless.

It is useable but it's strictly worse than any other ultra weapon IIRC? I don't know how balancing has gone

Sometimes the goofball weapon's only value is that it is goofball shit

The pizza cutter in Bloodborne was tremendous though

right like I could kill guys with it but no matter how I tried to balance my stats, gear, and playstyle around it, I was only ever using it for laughs. It could never contend with even the midgrade other weapons I was carrying around. Even after I spent so many smithing stones on it.

when things got serious I had to switch to something else

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I briefly tried doing dual wield spike ball hands and I just had no idea how to play the game when your attacks don't have any effect on enemy behaviour, at least against elites

Was trying to fight some knights in Lleyndell and was getting dumpstered. The opening to deal damage was so small, and they never staggered, so the speed of attacks seemed much less useful.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    there's basically no excuse for using a new product from Meta imo

but the quest 3 looks good

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think it's fucking funny. You getting snagged by some dude you couldn't see coming, just knowing some dev at their HQ is snickering in their cubicle while putting it in the game.

I don't think there's anything nearly as unapproachable as Iudex Gundyr from DS3: Hard as nails, you couldn't level, you can't get around him, and he's there basically to say if you can't beat him, you ain't gonna survive. Elden Ring is way more gracious.

See but to me that kinda goes under the same category as the devs of The Division that intentionally made the gear progression suck because they literally "wanted to make a game where you could gank other players"

Once that came out everything about why the DZ sucked but was the only real way to obtain high end gear at launch made so much more sense.

Nothing in the Souls progression sucks like that. I’m talking about people you don’t see around a corner stabbing you in the back as you pass by. Single enemies, single encounters, not ratfucking an entire system.

I was talking more about the idea of devs trolling players. I have no idea what the progression in a Souls game is like since the last fantasy Fromsoft game I played was King's Field :tongue:

Fromsoft games are the kind of games where the starter weapons can be the best in the entire playthrough.

How Fromsoft trolls is... more interesting. In Dark Souls 1, there's an elevator, and if you take a bit too long to get off the elevator, it quickly goes up another 6 feet into some spikes.

It's strange that when faced with either featureless copy-paste encounters or deliberately impish bullshit, I choose the deliberately impish bullshit because at least it seems like the dev is passionate.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    alternating between punishing you for being hasty and punishing you for being hesitant is evergreen troll design. its an artform, especially when both are strung together in perfect sequence in the same area

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    alternating between punishing you for being hasty and punishing you for being hesitant is evergreen troll design. its an artform, especially when both are strung together in perfect sequence in the same area

And that area, hot damn.

They even include an eternally choice bit of comedy just for the hell of it

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Good morning

Cap'n

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Good morning

Cap'n

Grunt

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Good morning

Cap'n

Grunt

umph

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Yeah, the grafted scion kicks your shit in 5 seconds in as a joke. its an interactive cutscene. huge beefy golden knight on the horse outside the starting area is a lesson: "you should not engage with everything you see right away"

when I started new game+ I was like oh this time around I'm a god of death, so sorry for your impending loss and then I went forward a bit and killed the golden knight too

and I was like oh okay actually that's all I needed out of this ng+ experience

• Options
    Good morning

Cap'n

Grunt

umph

b38fwtdxnjx7.png

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I played for a week or two, beat the tree dude by kiting on my horse and I think the first boss but pretty much checked out by the time I made my way through some annoying Omaha Beach style storming a castle over and over and over.

Ended up playing something else for a while and by the time I tried it again was just...nope, not gonna bother trying after a few minutes of frustration.

Game just isn't for me.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i enjoyed the 25ish hours i put into bloodborne but honestly i think i'm just looking for more instant gratification than the from games will give me

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I went full Berserk Guts mode in ER, complete with his massive sword and me being built to just take massive amounts of punishment and keep going.

Was real fun. Getting that sword early on is a fucking adventure.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    the lore suggested that by eating dragon hearts I'd turn in to a dragon but all I got was some glowing eyes that looked like novelty contact lenses you buy from a kiosk in the mall at halloween

i felt cheated, they could have at least made my guy look like a weird monster

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I've already got some soreness from this morning so I can tell tomorrow is going to be absolute clownshoes, and we booked Wed-Thur-Fri this week because of the holiday compressing things

This is fun and I'm hungry and just eating freely

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I went full Berserk Guts mode in ER, complete with his massive sword and me being built to just take massive amounts of punishment and keep going.

Was real fun. Getting that sword early on is a fucking adventure.

It’s not ER but I made a build similar to this in OG NWN Hordes of the Underdark and it was super satisfying to roll into combat and just gib enemies with cleave, etc

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I've already got some soreness from this morning so I can tell tomorrow is going to be absolute clownshoes, and we booked Wed-Thur-Fri this week because of the holiday compressing things

This is fun and I'm hungry and just eating freely

Yesssss the soreness

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Boss in charge of my department: "Please verify our department SOPs are all relevant to current requirements."

I'd protest but my name doesn't show up anywhere on the approval document and he's the one signing it. So I guess he'll get the best of my knowledge working in a single directorate.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    @SummaryJudgment elden ring psychology

in my experience, nowhere in the game are you forced to bang your head against a boss you don’t want to fight right now (except the last 2-3 bosses of the game, which, fair)

I wouldn’t think of things as a gear check (and nothing is item dependent, like you do not have to buy items at all I think) but instead like—I’m not feeling this right now so I’m gonna wander off in some other direction

I’m a rambler so I kind of didn’t find the castle with margit in it and just like wandered off into some other area and eventually only went to find margit cause my friends were talking about this boss and I was like wait what boss, where even is that castle? And there are a lot of weird little paths from one area to another, some environmental challenges and some blocked by big monsters. But you can do it all nonlinearly and do what feels good at the time. Sometimes that’s about not yet having a big enough pool of hp and you’re like eh I’ll come back later but sometimes it’s like, ‘I think it would be fun to kill a dragon I don’t care how hard it is’ and then you spend a couple hours killing a dragon somewhere

but yeah I love ER cause you can always walk away and check out something that suits your mood better. You’re not a speedrunner! You don’t need to play it as if there are quest markers

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    but the most fun in elden ring is beating your head against the initial tree sentinel / the early evergaol crucible knight / margit with starting stats/gear

I actually got him down to about 1/2 using the NPC sorcerer summon, which was satisfying to see the progression but also fucking whew

And I didn't know he was supposed to be such a strict gear check and now I'm realizing I wrongly assumed that everything was that hard

(The opaque UI and upgrading and everything else is still annoying, the dumb death voicelines are shitty developer trolling)

Steam will likely deny the refund and I'll give it another shot at some point

Fromsoft is trolling you. Constantly. You'll see it more later.

The key here is to not give a shit you died. It's not a failure, you didn't let anyone down, it's not a condemnation of your own personal capabilities. Shit just gonna happen. Speedrunners who know the games inside out also die in these games. Just how it is.

Something I have in common with Fromsoft

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Haha, D&D is going ahead tonight! MFers are getting basilisk'd!

I'm going to use the one in Flee Mortals instead of the regular one, because then they won't know everything there is to know about it already.

Also, I'm going to give them the option of stealing an egg and maybe they get to have a Basilisk pet....?

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Haha, D&D is going ahead tonight! MFers are getting basilisk'd!

I'm going to use the one in Flee Mortals instead of the regular one, because then they won't know everything there is to know about it already.

Also, I'm going to give them the option of stealing an egg and maybe they get to have a Basilisk pet....?

please have the egg be an encumbering weight so they have to do that waddle run like in Horizon or Monster Hunter

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I think what I mean to say is—most people will enjoy elden ring the most if they are not playing as if trying to get an A in elden ring. You can’t fight something now? Who gives a shit, walk away. Don’t look up what’s meta, who cares, are you a pro gamer in the uh professional elden ring pvp scene? Use the thing you want to use, change it up if you feel like it or just use literally the same sword all game cause it feels nice. You died? yes I mean that’s the point, it’s fine, there are no consequences.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I think what I mean to say is—most people will enjoy elden ring the most if they are not playing as if trying to get an A in elden ring. You can’t fight something now? Who gives a shit, walk away. Don’t look up what’s meta, who cares, are you a pro gamer in the uh professional elden ring pvp scene? Use the thing you want to use, change it up if you feel like it or just use literally the same sword all game cause it feels nice. You died? yes I mean that’s the point, it’s fine, there are no consequences.

If I use items and then die though anyway the items are completely wasted?

Or did I completely misunderstand that mechanic?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    One of my DMs once pulled the 'suspiciously poorly hidden secret door, that actually just opens into a glass wall into the back of the basilisk enclosure.'

95% of rogues are incapable of not picking a lock they are described.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I briefly tried doing dual wield spike ball hands and I just had no idea how to play the game when your attacks don't have any effect on enemy behaviour, at least against elites

Was trying to fight some knights in Lleyndell and was getting dumpstered. The opening to deal damage was so small, and they never staggered, so the speed of attacks seemed much less useful.
    use the R2 combo

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »

If I use items and then die though anyway the items are completely wasted?

Or did I completely misunderstand that mechanic?

I mean there's plenty of items in the game, and you can craft most.

I don't usually even bother with them.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

use the R2 combo

Pfft

If I'm pressing R2 why am I not just using a sword the size of a building

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 0.5

@jungleroomx will create the new thread
    @jungleroomx is backup

This discussion has been closed.