Options

The Warping Of [Freedom Of Speech]

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Sadly, most of the world is.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Not a surprise, but the same crew of people who passed all the BDS bans are also coming for anyone anti-genocide.

"NEW: Governor DeSantis just ordered the University of Florida and the University of South Florida to deactivate their "Students for Justice in Palestine" groups for violating Florida's laws against antisemitism."

This is part of a larger trend of Palestinian groups and speakers being canceled both at private events and on campuses NYT
    Nathan Thrall had planned to visit several cities this fall promoting his new book, “A Day in the Life of Abed Salama,” a reported look at Israel’s occupation of the West Bank. But after Hamas launched its deadly attacks on Israeli civilians, days after the book’s release this month, readings in London, New York, Los Angeles and Washington were postponed or canceled.

They are among a growing number of events highlighting Palestinian culture, society and politics that have been called off or put on hold since the war began. A concert of young Palestinian musicians was indefinitely postponed in London. The Boston Palestine Film Festival decided not to hold live screenings and went online. And in one of the most high-profile cancellations, a German literary organization called off an awards ceremony at the Frankfurt Book Fair to honor the Palestinian novelist Adania Shibli.

https://vtdigger.org/2023/10/23/citing-safety-concerns-university-of-vermont-cancels-event-with-palestinian-writer/
    Citing safety concerns, University of Vermont cancels event with Palestinian writer

The university’s Division of Safety & Compliance told organizers that it could not “adequately provide safety and security” for a planned event with the poet and journalist Mohammed El-Kurd.

Still better than most of Europe is doing though the video of this British cop harassing someone for flying the Palestinian flag on their house is just hilarious in how... Little Britain the whole thing is.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    This left-wing cancel culture is out of control. [/s]

But seriously, the amount of backlash against people making statements in support of a ceasefire and/or in support of Palestinian self-determination is truly on a scale not seen since... maybe those vocally opposed to the Iraq invasion of 2003?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options

Sana Saedd is an AL Jazeera AJ+ host.

Well looks like Canada is clamping down on Palestinians. Because it's a genocide they are protesting not mask mandates or the Canucks blowing it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Sana Saedd is an AL Jazeera AJ+ host.

Well looks like Canada is clamping down on Palestinians. Because it's a genocide they are protesting not mask mandates or the Canucks blowing it.

I just read an article saying this is also why they're censuring Rep. Rashida Tlaib

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Not surprisingly, the freakout behind "From the river to the sea" is based on Islamophobia and the deep desire to prevent Palestinians from getting too united.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    The argument for "From the river to the sea" being hate speech seems pretty similar to many other things leftists call hate speech so to me this seems like the illiberal left's chickens coming home to roost.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The argument for "From the river to the sea" being hate speech seems pretty similar to many other things leftists call hate speech so to me this seems like the illiberal left's chickens coming home to roost.

Go ahead and unpack that bullshit for us

Give us some specific examples of what you are referring to, and explain how they're equatable

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Give us some specific examples of what you are referring to, and explain how they're equatable

Get ready for youtube shorts of MRA owning the left or similar drivel.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    The defense of "from the river to the sea" as an anodyne desire for liberal democracy and civil rights cheerfully ignores the historical context, which is full of Arab leaders calling for the Jews to be driven into the sea from 48 onwards. It's an unsubtle dog whistle.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options

The ADL has a blurb about it from October 2023. It's an allegation without a lot of detail.

I actually forget how the Anti-defamation League is perceived here, so I'm just providing this link for further context without judgment.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

The ADL has a blurb about it from October 2023. It's an allegation without a lot of detail.

I actually forget how the Anti-defamation League is perceived here, so I'm just providing this link for further context without judgment.

I think that link basically gets to the heart of it. It's a phrase that sounds extremely ominous. That's the gist of it.

If we flip the situation around and Israelis or people who support Israel were running around chanting "From the river to the sea" over and over again, I think most people would read some very serious implications into that.

It's not really hard to understand why it makes some people nervous.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I think that link basically gets to the heart of it. It's a phrase that sounds extremely ominous. That's the gist of it.

If we flip the situation around and Israelis or people who support Israel were running around chanting "From the river to the sea" over and over again, I think most people would read some very serious implications into that.

If I may devil's advocate for a bit, that posting is awfully recent, and if ADL is illegitimate, it may be a false dog whistle. I'd appreciate sources prior to October showing how that phrase has been used.

• Options
    It rather exposes how flawed the entire structure of thought is. If you are arguing about what it actually means, you are inherently ignoring the opinion of a marginalized group (Jews). Punching up is okay, punching down is not, so now you need to determine which side is more marginalized and which side is privileged. After claiming that defining hate speech is not actually difficult and we all know what XYZ really means, suddenly you find a fault line where actually the ecochamber doesn't agree on what is hate speech, and agreeing to disagree is explicitly rejected.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options

If I may devil's advocate for a bit, that posting is awfully recent, and if ADL is illegitimate, it may be a false dog whistle. I'd appreciate sources prior to October showing how that phrase has been used.

There's a wiki page if you like.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_river_to_the_sea
    The information there suggests the phrase is worse then what the ADL claims. You can decide how accurate you think it is.

• Options

The information there suggests the phrase is worse then what the ADL claims. You can decide how accurate you think it is.

For context, here is the record of the site in September 2023. There have been substantial revisions since.

• Options
    The ADL is not a reliable source for information on this, they are among the pro-Zionist groups that conflate anti-Semitism with opposition to the Israeli government's ongoing violations of international law. They are literally part of the campaign working to label all pro-Palestinian messaging as being anti-Jewish.

HamHamJ, still waiting on your examples.

• Options

For context, here is the record of the site in September 2023. There have been substantial revisions since.

None of which really change the parts that are relevant to the discussion though. Used by several different groups in different contexts, many of them not good.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I don't think "from the river to the sea" has to be about driving Israel into the sea, but the phrase "drive Israel into the sea" has definitely existed for as long as the state of Israel has existed, and it evokes phrasing from the Bible itself (albeit language about Egypt, in that context).

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Monwyn wrote: »
    The defense of "from the river to the sea" as an anodyne desire for liberal democracy and civil rights cheerfully ignores the historical context, which is full of Arab leaders calling for the Jews to be driven into the sea from 48 onwards. It's an unsubtle dog whistle.

No it fucking isn't, it calls for the creation of a single state encompassing the land from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea that Palestinian people can call home. To say that this is a call for genocide is the unsubtle dog whistle here, insinuating that Palestinians are too bloodthirsty and bigoted to be able to coexist with Jewish people.

Jewish Currents has a decent piece on this, as does Decolonize Palestine.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    That's the fundamental problem with slogans and signs - as they don't directly state the full extent of their intent, they are readily co-opted by harmful actors, so that two people espousing the same slogan can intend to mean radically different things.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Monwyn wrote: »

No it fucking isn't, it calls for the creation of a single state encompassing the land from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea that Palestinian people can call home. To say that this is a call for genocide is the unsubtle dog whistle here, insinuating that Palestinians are too bloodthirsty and bigoted to be able to coexist with Jewish people.

Jewish Currents has a decent piece on this, as does Decolonize Palestine.

Lol k

I'm sure the similarity is totally coincidental and neither Islamic Jihad nor the PLO knew the reference

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    That's the fundamental problem with slogans and signs - as they don't directly state the full extent of their intent, they are readily co-opted by harmful actors, so that two people espousing the same slogan can intend to mean radically different things.

Which, I would suspect,is why it was referred to as a dog whistle by Monwyn

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    When I talk to Jewish people who say they feel that slogan is antisemitic hate speech calling for their genocide, I'm inclined to believe them.

There is no co-opting or 'taking back' the meaning of hateful terminology like that even if it may be naively used by people who are ignorant of the history and context of the slogan. You can't retcon the hate and meaning out of the origins of that term.

It's no different than a slogan like 'All Lives Matter' which on its face seems like a fair and reasonable statement, and could even naively be explained as such. But in the real world it can't be divorced from its original context.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    zagdrob wrote: »
    When I talk to Jewish people who say they feel that slogan is antisemitic hate speech calling for their genocide, I'm inclined to believe them.

Why them and not the Palestinian woman who says it isnt?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Because the Palestinian woman saying it is either ignorant of the context of the slogan at best, or lying at worst.

Lots of naive and ignorant people repeat dog whistle phrases earnestly. The people who are using them as dog whistles know exactly what they are saying and you can't dismiss the context of what was said, or the impact it has on the targeted communities because you think 'nah, its ok to say, i don't mean <bad thing the slogan means>'.

This is pretty basic...people using hate speech aren't the ones who get to define what is or isn't offensive.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2023

Because the Palestinian woman saying it is either ignorant of the context of the slogan at best, or lying at worst.

Lots of naive and ignorant people repeat dog whistle phrases earnestly. The people who are using them as dog whistles know exactly what they are saying and you can't dismiss the context of what was said, or the impact it has on the targeted communities because you think 'nah, its ok to say, i don't mean <bad thing the slogan means>'.

This is pretty basic...people using hate speech aren't the ones who get to define what is or isn't offensive.

I bet Rashida Tlaib actually isnt ignorant or lying about her own people's history and the slogans history.

Anyway, an even cursory examination of history would see thats its often meant a call for a unified democratic multi ethnic state. The worst people who use a phrase dont get to claim ownership of it by virtue of sucking.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I bet Rashida Tlaib actually isnt ignorant or lying about her own people's history and the slogans history.

Sure, she might just be earnestly calling for the dissolution of Israel.

• Options

As an apartheid state, yes, but a call for a multi ethnic Israel/Palestine where muslims, christians, and jews can live together in equality is not anti semitic or a call for anyone's death.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I really don't think relitigating specific past examples is going to result in a constructive discussion. If we focus on this situation where everyone hasn't already made up their minds some people may, possibly, be reminded of why principled freedom of speech is important and why it is undermined by illiberal leftist ideas like

The opinion of the victims of hate speech must be given primacy
    Punching up is not hate speech
    Anyone you judge guilty of hate speech must be ostracized

• Options

I really don't think relitigating specific past examples is going to result in a constructive discussion. If we focus on this situation where everyone hasn't already made up their minds some people may, possibly, be reminded of why principled freedom of speech is important and why it is undermined by illiberal leftist ideas like

There's a concerted effort in western countries to make any expression of Palestinian identity or resistance verboten so this primacy relationship you describe is not particularly clear.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Painting the oppressed as an existential threat to the oppressor to justify continuing or further oppression has also been one of key rhetorical strategies of oppressors basically forever.

"Listen to how angry they are! We need to keep them under our control or else they will kill us all" is evergreen.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Because it doesn’t matter how much someone thinks it isn’t an issue.

It matters how it makes people feel.

You wouldn’t say “well why not the white woman who says it isn’t?” After they dropped a hard R. Because their opinion doesn’t matter

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

There's a concerted effort in western countries to make any expression of Palestinian identity or resistance verboten so this primacy relationship you describe is not particularly clear.

It's the position zagdrob and Goumindong stated above, Jews get to say what's hate speech against Jews.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Goumindong wrote: »

Because it doesn’t matter how much someone thinks it isn’t an issue.

It matters how it makes people feel.

You wouldn’t say “well why not the white woman who says it isn’t?” After they dropped a hard R. Because their opinion doesn’t matter

Yes, it matters how it makes people feel, but thats not the only thing that matters. Lots of people feel that "black lives matter" is a slogan that is hateful towards white people afterall. Palestinians are a people in the process of being slowly wiped out. That must be taken into consideration when someone calls for their freedom.

It's the position zagdrob and Goumindong stated above, Jews get to say what's hate speech against Jews.

You can find plenty of Jewish non zionist voices that dont think its anti semitic. Are we picking sides?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The rational aporoach is to examine what the person actually wants. Tlaib for instance, clearly seeks peaceful egalitarian multiculturalism and an end to apartheid. We arent helping anything by insisting she's lumped in with anti semites.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Exactly, which isn't hate speech!

You have shown here exactly how "hate speech" is being used as cover to silence critics.

You walked us through the process step by step.

Or how about this.

d2ihip566bha.png
    Abed Ayoub is the National Executive Director of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee

Twitter link in spoilers. It has the screenshots of the page you can click through.

It doesn't get more smoking gun JDAM shaped hole in a hospital roof than that.

e2

Lukid's original party platform. The cynicism around alleging hate crime around this is ridiculous.

ttbzbze32bbf.png

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Israeli diplomat pressured US college to drop course on ‘apartheid’ debate
    An Israeli diplomat tried to persuade a leading New York college to cancel a course about the growing debate over whether the Jewish state practices a form of apartheid in Palestine.

The Israeli consul for public diplomacy in New York, Yuval Donio-Gideon, took the highly unusual step of contacting Bard College earlier this year to object to the course, Apartheid in Israel-Palestine, on the grounds that it breached the controversial International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition of antisemitism.
    The course was designed and taught by Nathan Thrall, a Jewish American writer and researcher who lives in Jerusalem.
    The basis of the course was the growing evidence that Israel is in breach of international laws against apartheid, including reports by Israel’s leading human rights group, B’Tselem, and from a prominent legal organisation, Yesh Din, which concluded that “the crime against humanity of apartheid is being committed in the West Bank”.

In September, a former head of the Mossad intelligence agency, Tamir Pardo, joined a rising number of prominent Israelis in comparing the occupation of the West Bank to South Africa’s defunct system of racial oppression.

Thrall said there was no opposition to the course until shortly before it began when a tweet by a human rights group drew attention to it.

At that point, Donio-Gideon approached the college, initially through its rabbi. Thrall said the Israeli diplomat “said the course meets the IHRA definition” of antisemitism. Among IHRA’s examples of antisemitism is “claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavour”.

Wow, imagine that, Israeli diplomats are in favor of a definition of anti-Semitism that allows them to brand people who are critical of the Israeli government as anti-Semites.

• Options
    That reminds me, I did see a rolling stone article about how actual anti-semites are hiding in the wave of pro-Palestine content on twitter

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    That reminds me, I did see a rolling stone article about how actual anti-semites are hiding in the wave of pro-Palestine content on twitter

That sort of thing is inevitable, I'm not sure I can even imagine a position that wouldn't have hateful lunatics offering a shitty version of it alongside the rest on Twitter or whatever.

Only a problem when people get so sectarian on a pet issue that they start defending their new 'allies' or showing an interest in their arguments instead of telling them to fuck off.

Kamar on