Options

And the Thunder Junction Rolls with [Magic: The Gathering]

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    SNC triomes rotating out should restrain color spread a bit, I hope? Less easy to just jam 3-4 colors of goodstuff together.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The triomes actually don't matter to the 3 colour decks that much at this point, they're more important to the 4 colour decks. Three years of lands is just so much more than 2 years of lands. In fact it's 50% more.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Math checks out, 3 is 50% more than 2.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I triple-checked the math and was able to verify that 3.3 is 50% more than 2 (with an potential margin of error of 0.3).

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you're all fucking bad at math, 2 is actually 33% less than 3

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Honestly though Blastoise up there is probably more concerning than anything

note that one of the leakers has apparently suggested that blastoise is not in the set and the picture was just fucking with people (since it's just the name and not actually showing the set symbol)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 27

note that one of the leakers has apparently suggested that blastoise is not in the set and the picture was just fucking with people (since it's just the name and not actually showing the set symbol)

Yeah that info came out later, but they are claiming that Brainstorm is in the set which is... uhh... implausible. They also just suggested Crop Rotation is in the set as well.

Having very clearly real leaks with somebody very much fucking with people while leaking is something else.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Yeah, that turtle is... a little hard to actually interact with at all, with anything short of "destroy everything". And there's no world in which they reprint Brainstorm into more formats, especially not formats with fetch lands. They're not stupid, it's practically Ancestral Recall with that many fetches around.

• Options
    ultimately the kind of person who does a public leak sort of inherently has a bit of a "make everything about me : )" complex

most of us are the sort who would just like, pm our friends on discord and be like holy shit check out what fell into my lap

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    ultimately the kind of person who does a public leak sort of inherently has a bit of a "make everything about me : )" complex

And then when the Pinkertons show up they're all "why is this about me?!".

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited April 27

0h2zfjs0jii2.png

Karlov was a fine set, but not one of my favorites - despite me blowing well past the mastery rank

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    nna797w6360h.gif

Accidentally taking the visible ranking off Quick Draft made me much more interested in playing that format. Also I was repeatedly blown out by bombs and fucked by my own lands, so I needed to turn gold into gems a lot.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Yeah that info came out later, but they are claiming that Brainstorm is in the set which is... uhh... implausible. They also just suggested Crop Rotation is in the set as well.

Having very clearly real leaks with somebody very much fucking with people while leaking is something else.

Brainstorm wouldn't really be too crazy without fetches. And what land is crop rotation going to search for that matters? It's not like gaeas cradle or tolarian academy are around to abuse.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Brainstorm wouldn't really be too crazy without fetches. And what land is crop rotation going to search for that matters? It's not like gaeas cradle or tolarian academy are around to abuse.

You do know they're talking about Modern Masters, yes? Fetches everywhere, Tron and Depths/Stage available, Lotus Field...

• Options
    Hanging out at the FLGS today. They have a poster from War of the Spark featuring all 36 PWs that were in the set. Thought it was amusing to run down how they turned out:

Of the 36 (not counting Tezzeret, who was a promo):

6 are dead (Tamiyo, Domri, Dovin, Gideon, Jaya, Tibalt)
    13 are confirmed to be desparked (Ob, Huatli, Karn, Nahiri, Nissa, Wanderer, Samut, Narset, Sarkhan, Kiora, Teferi, Saheeli, Vraska)
    6 are confirmed active (Jace, Chandra, Ral, Kaya, Ajani, Ashiok)
    2 are Bolas/Ugin (status complicated)

Which leaves 9 with status unknown: Jiang Yu (nobody cares), Sorin, Liliana (probably fine), Kasmina (n/c), Teyo (n/c), Angrath (hopefully desparked and with his family), Davriel (n/c), Vivian (probably fine), and Arlinn. Tezzeret also falls under this, but they've shelved him for a future Big Bad so I'm sure he's fine.

Sorin and Arlinn are an interesting question. I could see arguments for either outcome for both, and we're not due back on Innistrad for a while.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Is this a bit? Modern has fetches, and Tron, Lotus Field, and Titan are all land based decks...

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Also Brainstorm had to be banned from Historic, which doesn’t have fetches.

Card is just nuts.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Card is just nuts.

Historic has fetches now. They were in Khans.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Are people anticipating the MH commander decks or is it more the set cards that are coming out? I don’t really understand the theming of mh for commander. Is it just Some Guys?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    edited April 27
    Modern Horizons is basically "anything goes" and is a vehicle for reprinting cards and making new designs for Modern that don't have to worry about the setting of the current set, etc.

Also, it's a license to print money when they inevitably release new must-have cards that you can't compete in Modern without, and the packs sell for extra money because they can.

They do make reasonable new cards in the sets too - things like Foundation Breaker (really nice for specific commander decks, and evoke is a Lorwyn thing so it only comes up in supplemental stuff despite being a really nice mechanic)

Honestly I think people are mainly anticipating the new nonsense in the main set, the commander cards aren't going to be any more pushed than anything else, but being free of setting restrictions does allow them to do things like Yet Another Eldrazi Deck.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I have a madness deck and a graveyard matters (straight goyfin') deck, and MH3 is supporting both of them, so I think that's part of it — connecting to past mechanics and archetypes

The packs also just seem to have great stuff in them, tbh. A regular set pack will have a lot of draft trash, but my MH2 packs have all had really solid commons. But I pulled a Dauthi Voidwalker and a Verdant Catacombs so my perspective is a bit distorted.

More Eldrazi support is exciting, and people love lhurgoyfs.

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    Are people anticipating the MH commander decks or is it more the set cards that are coming out? I don’t really understand the theming of mh for commander. Is it just Some Guys?

yeah so modern horizons is a set of cards that doesn't have a core setting, but rather is set all across the multiverse. the set is basically designed to inject new cards into the Modern format in a set that doesn't get put into Standard. so it has a combination of entirely new designs and also cards that haven't been printed in a modern legal set. this can included old sets that predate the modern format, but also things like cards from standalone commander decks or side sets that just weren't for modern initially.

now while modern horizons sets have no cohesive setting, as draftable sets they do have cohesive mechanical themes. the first set for example had a strong focus on introducing new Changeling and Snow cards, and the second pushed the Madness mechanic quite heavily. we know that there's a few themes coming to this modern horizons set. the colourless eldrazi creature type will be getting support, and the difficult to balance energy mechanic will be receiving a number of new cards.

this is the first modern horizons set to feature commander decks, and it looks as though the general intention of them is to offer commander decks themed around the mechanics they're going to be supporting in the set (ironically, the decks will feature new cards that are not legal in Modern, because they're commander decks and not the literal modern horizons set. goofy!). the first deck is a 5 colour eldrazi deck helmed by a commander that appears to be a "What If?" fusion of legendary eldrazi creatures ulamog and kozilek. the second appears to be a deck based around the aforementioned energy mechanic.

now prior to the leaks we only had a vague sense of what the other two decks were trying to do, they were just described as a graveyard deck and a ramp deck (the ramp deck being helmed by a character wearing the popular equipment Helm of the Host). with the leaks we know that the graveyard deck appears to be themed around the magic creature type Lhurgoyf, and the ramp deck commander has a mechanic based around granting creatures every creature type, and lands every land type.

as for, are people anticipating them? well, it's hard to say. they're going to be released at a higher price point than the standard for commander decks, and people remember the increased price of the commander masters decks last year. that's colouring a lot of emotions that might otherwise be positive. there's also a more expensive "collector's version" of the decks with some different art and foiling and while i don't personally care about collector's editions a lot of people find it leaves a bad taste in their mouth paired with some of the other financial aspects.

at least for commander though i would say that the modern horizons sets do tend to have a lot of fun and interesting commons and uncommons that can be used to add some interesting play to your decks for a pretty low price. so in conclusion modern horizons is a land of contrasts

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited April 27
    at least for commander though i would say that the modern horizons sets do tend to have a lot of fun and interesting commons and uncommons that can be used to add some interesting play to your decks for a pretty low price. so in conclusion modern horizons is a land of contrasts

Soulherder my beloved...

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    hey look what i found out about today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redemption_(card_game)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Oh boy the name of their newest set sure couldn't mean anything huh?

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I like my Mono Old Testament Enoch control deck, but it tends to flood a lot.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Hanging out at the FLGS today. They have a poster from War of the Spark featuring all 36 PWs that were in the set. Thought it was amusing to run down how they turned out:

Of the 36 (not counting Tezzeret, who was a promo):

6 are dead (Tamiyo, Domri, Dovin, Gideon, Jaya, Tibalt)
    13 are confirmed to be desparked (Ob, Huatli, Karn, Nahiri, Nissa, Wanderer, Samut, Narset, Sarkhan, Kiora, Teferi, Saheeli, Vraska)
    6 are confirmed active (Jace, Chandra, Ral, Kaya, Ajani, Ashiok)
    2 are Bolas/Ugin (status complicated)

Which leaves 9 with status unknown: Jiang Yu (nobody cares), Sorin, Liliana (probably fine), Kasmina (n/c), Teyo (n/c), Angrath (hopefully desparked and with his family), Davriel (n/c), Vivian (probably fine), and Arlinn. Tezzeret also falls under this, but they've shelved him for a future Big Bad so I'm sure he's fine.

Sorin and Arlinn are an interesting question. I could see arguments for either outcome for both, and we're not due back on Innistrad for a while.

If there's any planeswalker who should be desparked, it's Liliana. The arc of her growth is done done. Retiring on Arcavios and peacefully supporting the next generation of heroes is the only path forward that makes sense for her character.

I expect Angrath to be the victim of yet another cruel irony. Such as he's still a planeswalker, but his daughters fell through an omenpath that closed immediately after and now he has no idea where they are.

• Options
    apt6op7n7bye.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Oh hey! My brother acquired a pack of that game back in the day. I distinctly remember this card being one of them:

62990d8a-447a-4dca-8e3c-faa63e5b422b_The_Frog_Demons_ROJ.jpg

Couldn't tell you what else was in the pack, but that artwork has stuck in my memory for decades.

In fact, when I first starting hearing about Magic: The Gathering, probably around half a decade later, I remember wondering if it was the Biblical TCG with the jester frog card that my brother had shown me that one time.

Always nice to have a weird memory confirmed to be a real memory and not just a fevered imagining that somehow got mentally miscategorized.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    "evil character" is a great card type

• Options

Card is just nuts.

They aren’t legal in Historic.

They’re legal in Timeless, which is why they were in Khans Remastered.

• Options

Card is just nuts.

They aren’t legal in Historic.

They’re legal in Timeless, which is why they were in Khans Remastered.

Huh. I must've missed that announcement. Although I stopped caring about Historic after Karn and the red Discover dude were banned in Pioneer/Explorer.

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    I just started playing MTG arena after my brother got me playing commander when we meet up every couple months and it was going ok considering I don't really know a whole lot yet. But I gotta say it feels real bad joining a festival with my one finished starter deck and just getting clowned on in like 4 turns by people who built their own decks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sonelan wrote:
    I just started playing MTG arena after my brother got me playing commander when we meet up every couple months and it was going ok considering I don't really know a whole lot yet. But I gotta say it feels real bad joining a festival with my one finished starter deck and just getting clowned on in like 4 turns by people who built their own decks.

MTGAZone is kind of a nightmare of a website but one thing I use it for regularly is to find budget decks for the weird events. It may not help you yet but at a certain point you'll have nearly unlimited common and uncommon wild cards, so the budget decks will be effectively free.

• Options
    Ah, yes, MTG Arizona one. Love that http colon forward slash forward slash world wide web app.

• Options
    Jeez I looked at that site and am just overwhelmed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    You can make a decent aggro red deck from budget stuff, and with the five billion pack codes you should have plenty of wildcards.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Sonelan wrote:
    Jeez I looked at that site and am just overwhelmed.

yeah it sucks. If you ctrl+f for the name of the event there's usually an article linked on the front page. However, it looks like they didn't do one for this week since it's just Standard decks so I had to dig a bit deeper. The budget Standard recommendation is this mono-blue tempo deck.

as Badablack mentioned you can usually make a perfectly cromulent mono-red aggro deck out of commons and uncommons as well

admanb on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    A red or white or red/white aggro deck is the best way to start off. Unless you open some insanely great card.

• Options
    I've mostly been playing the starting phyrexian deck so far.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]