Options

And the Thunder Junction Rolls with [Magic: The Gathering]

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Ah so might want to hold off on that one since it'd take most of my wildcards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I am looking at decks for standard and like every deck needs 40 rares jesus.

Most decks run 2+ colors and most good multi-colored lands are rares, which means there’s a significant up-front investment of rares to build any multicolored deck, but additional decks that use the same colors are relatively cheap.

Not helpful for you, of course.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Mishra's Factories are nice to have but can be replaced with more mountains if you lack wildcards, and see the last page for some creature substitutions you can do. I think the Coyote and Roadrunner from the new set might also be solid options to sub in, especially the coyote since it can boost a t1 swiftspear.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I think I might hate blue decks. They just constantly use low mana spells to counter all my stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yep!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That's the normal response to blue, yes.

• Options
    Its the type of deck so far I feel like I can't do anything about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I love blue as a color and blue black specifically

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I think I need to look into a deck with artifact or equip removal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    Trying to build a deck to destroy a specific kind of problem is usually not great, it's better to have a gameplan you can destroy and interaction that helps achieve that gameplan.

Equipment is generally not a huge meta threat and you can always deal with it by killing the creature its equipped to, which gets you where you want to go (their face)

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited April 30
    I don't mean specifically for that I mean a deck that has some means of doing it at all. My starter deck has no way to. Also enchantments.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    Blue feels like bullshit that they get to say "no" to you playing cards, and I hate playing against blue decks, but they have to burn their own card to do that, and hold back mana to cast the counter, etc.
    Sometimes this works for them, they have answers in hand to everything you wanted to do and they just freeze you out until they can win. Sometimes you just put out too much stuff for them to deal with all of it.
    It definitely FEELS like bullshit though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Oh I don't think blue is OP. I just hate playing against it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The answer against blue is to keep digging. There's good odds, especially in standard, that your gas can outlast their brakes.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I think I’m kind of glad that I’m probably not picking up anything until bloomburrow, commander wise. I’ve reached a point now where I’m upgrading precons and then not playing them a ton because by the time I’ve got the smooth draft of the upgrade, a new deck is coming out.

I played my upgraded Mirko deck this weekend and it was like oh man this deck rules this is so dumb and fun, just constantly surveiling, then reviving dudes with mirko and taking their finality counters off with some cards I added to the deck to repeatedly cheat them onto the battlefield for multiple etb effects, super fun.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 30
    Oh I don't think blue is OP. I just hate playing against it.

One of the best ways to get over that is to play a blue deck for a bit and get a sense of when you, as the blue player, are having trouble. You'll notice the times when, for example, your opponent plays an efficient creature on 2 mana that you were unable to counterspell. Or the times when your opponent baits a counterspell out of your hand by playing a threatening card just before playing something even worse.

And you're more likely to notice these things when you play your own blue deck.

Though I do recognize that this is tough when you're playing on Arena and you don't have a lot of wildcards to spend.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Important to remember control doesn't win a game, it buys time. Push them to have as little time as you can.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I don't mean specifically for that I mean a deck that has some means of doing it at all. My starter deck has no way to. Also enchantments.

A deck doesn't need to be able to do that, though. Red White convoke doesnt remove artifacts or enchantments or even really other creatures, it just kills people.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

A deck doesn't need to be able to do that, though. Red White convoke doesnt remove artifacts or enchantments or even really other creatures, it just kills people.

This is a necessary step though

Dont skip steps in the process, build that all removal for everything deck

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The simplest way to remove anything is to simply remove the player who owns them.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Honestly for a beginner decks like RDW and mono-green ramp/stompy are where the focus should be IMO. As noted above manabase is usually the largest rare sink so these types of decks solve that problem right off the bat. They’re fairly straightforward to pilot, and you will start to get a good sense of where you are from a positional standpoint faster during games.

Plus turning creatures sideways is how magic started so there’s that too…

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mono-blue tempo has been a pretty reliable budget deck for a while. I think that’s still true.

• Options
    @Sonelan

here are a couple pauper (no rare/mythic) decks you can import directly into arena (decks -> import). Just copy to clipboard one at a time. First is a RDW variant. Second is a G/W enchantments variant. Both can be built off as bases when you get more rares if you choose to do so. they will play differently so you can see what type of style you prefer.

Deck
    3 The Autonomous Furnace (ONE) 247
    4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
    17 Mountain (OTJ) 284
    4 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
    2 Scorching Shot (OTJ) 145
    4 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
    4 Reckless Lackey (OTJ) 140
    4 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
    4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
    4 Lightning Strike (DMU) 137
    4 Shock (MKM) 144
    2 Invasion of Regatha (MOM) 148
    4 Stoke the Flames (MOM) 166

Deck
    4 Generous Visitor (NEO) 185
    12 Forest (OTJ) 286
    4 Jukai Naturalist (NEO) 225
    12 Plains (OTJ) 278
    4 Michiko's Reign of Truth (NEO) 29
    4 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38
    4 Audacity (BRO) 169
    4 Ossification (ONE) 26
    4 Botanical Brawler (MOM) 220
    2 Syr Armont, the Redeemer (WOE) 214
    4 Crowd-Control Warden (MKM) 193
    2 Sigardian Paladin (VOW) 247

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    @Sonelan

here are a couple pauper (no rare/mythic) decks you can import directly into arena (decks -> import). Just copy to clipboard one at a time. First is a RDW variant. Second is a G/W enchantments variant. Both can be built off as bases when you get more rares if you choose to do so. they will play differently so you can see what type of style you prefer.

Deck
    3 The Autonomous Furnace (ONE) 247
    4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
    17 Mountain (OTJ) 284
    4 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
    2 Scorching Shot (OTJ) 145
    4 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
    4 Reckless Lackey (OTJ) 140
    4 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
    4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
    4 Lightning Strike (DMU) 137
    4 Shock (MKM) 144
    2 Invasion of Regatha (MOM) 148
    4 Stoke the Flames (MOM) 166

Deck
    4 Generous Visitor (NEO) 185
    12 Forest (OTJ) 286
    4 Jukai Naturalist (NEO) 225
    12 Plains (OTJ) 278
    4 Michiko's Reign of Truth (NEO) 29
    4 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38
    4 Audacity (BRO) 169
    4 Ossification (ONE) 26
    4 Botanical Brawler (MOM) 220
    2 Syr Armont, the Redeemer (WOE) 214
    4 Crowd-Control Warden (MKM) 193
    2 Sigardian Paladin (VOW) 247

Thanks. I am trying the G/W one first since I only had enough to make one, but I imported both

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Does Arena ever like bug out? Its been my opponent's turn for a couple minutes now and it hasn't even used his extra time token.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Does Arena ever like bug out? Its been my opponent's turn for a couple minutes now and it hasn't even used his extra time token.

All. The. Time.

• Options
    edited May 1

All. The. Time.

Well boo. Guess I better just concede then. edit: Oh won't even let me do that.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    If you notice it quick enough, you can ALT+F4 and relaunch the game and sometimes rejoin the match before all your timers burn out.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    If you notice it quick enough, you can ALT+F4 and relaunch the game and sometimes rejoin the match before all your timers burn out.

And even then weird things tend to happen. But yes, if you think the program is hanging then it probably is.

• Options
    edited May 1
    EDIT: Not sure how that double-post happened but Vanilla gonna Vanilla.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Hey @jmcdonald how would I go about building out that G/W deck? Its clicking pretty well with me since its alot like the commander decks I have played with my brother.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hey @jmcdonald how would I go about building out that G/W deck? Its clicking pretty well with me since its alot like the commander decks I have played with my brother.

https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks/845/selesnya-enchantments/AAQAAQLCpiHVYAL5sSDZpQkAC_slntkBvIMgI7AEMEYvztcDovcDlaYBAgWHBQUBAA?tab=overview

Here’s a successful version from the current meta. Just start replacing the cards that aren’t in it with ones that are.

Probably weaver, Kami, calix, katilda in that order. The lands will help smooth but they’re not critical to how the deck “functions”

• Options

https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks/845/selesnya-enchantments/AAQAAQLCpiHVYAL5sSDZpQkAC_slntkBvIMgI7AEMEYvztcDovcDlaYBAgWHBQUBAA?tab=overview

Here’s a successful version from the current meta. Just start replacing the cards that aren’t in it with ones that are.

Probably weaver, Kami, calix, katilda in that order. The lands will help smooth but they’re not critical to how the deck “functions”

Well I got everything but the brushland and razorverge thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 1
    I definitely thought blue counterspells were annoying and bad, anti-fun design when I was first getting back into the game this past year.

But this was before I realized that removal is not just an effect, it's a fundamental building block of the game — and other colours have tons of removal of their own. Counterspells are just flexible, preemptive removal, and they're removal that can (often) target instants and sorceries.

It does feel bad to have your spell countered! And it feels pretty much exactly as bad to have your big creature die to Doom Blade (unless it's got a great ETB). But it feels really good to have your own Doom Blade, hold back when they cast a big threat, and then remove the next, even bigger threat, because you saw what was happening and made a sound tactical decision.

Theoretically, I mean. I've heard of sound tactical decisions, in the abstract.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    my girlfriend doesn't play with me anymore after i played marchesa and took control of all her creatures with mob rule and then sacrificed them to own them permanently

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    my girlfriend doesn't play with me anymore after i played marchesa and took control of all her creatures with mob rule and then sacrificed them to own them permanently

And has she said when you're allowed to stop sleeping on the couch?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    This new set has finally allowed me to unleash the full power of tribal lizards.

It's mostly just putting down Laughing Jasper Flint and winning matches though.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    MH3 leaks article is back up and functioning properly.

• Options
    Does it include the Jund commander cards that leaked a couple hours after the article went live?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Don't be silly you know it doesn't include them or the eldrazi ones

liEt3nH.png