Better Call (The [TV] Thread) Saul

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We tried watching Your Honor.

It’s not bad but it’s so fucking HEAVY SERIOUS that I couldn’t binge it: it’s going to be more of a once in awhile show.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The Acolyte episode 4
    I started considering it as an option at the beginning of the episode, but by the end it's pretty clear that Mae's friend is just her secret master keeping an eye on her, right?

uyvfOQy.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I wish I got to be in a korean serial

There's an English guy who pops up every so often in a series I'm watching. Usually if that series from the 2010s.

Maybe he's friends with someone at the production company? Maybe he's just around?

Either way, he'll show up in a scene as a CEO, a rude Photographer, a Movie Director, a Rich Guy at a Restaurant, etc.

Good gig.

I may have asked you this before, but have you seen Moving?

I have not!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 19
    I wish I got to be in a korean serial

There's an English guy who pops up every so often in a series I'm watching. Usually if that series from the 2010s.

Maybe he's friends with someone at the production company? Maybe he's just around?

Either way, he'll show up in a scene as a CEO, a rude Photographer, a Movie Director, a Rich Guy at a Restaurant, etc.

Good gig.

I may have asked you this before, but have you seen Moving?

I have not!
    I really liked it. It hits a lot of the various bingo squares (the two leads being in same place unknowing as children, etc).
    It's about high school kids with superpowers.
    Except
    actually it's about 80% about their parents who also have superpowers hiding their children from the government agency they used to work for because they don't want their children in that life. Complete with long flashback episodes about their parents romances and whatnot.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, Laurie Metcalf as Weed has only been onscreen for like 2 minutes and she's already the greatest character ever.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There’s going to be a Regular Shiw “reboot” apparently

JG Quintel is involved so I will remain cautiously optimistic.

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    excuse me i already watched Gotham, i don't think this newfangled penguin is gonna hold up

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Having Colin Farrell in Richard-Kind-face as a side character in a movie was not great but something I could get past, doing it for a full TV show starts feeling pretty gross

Richard Kind WOULD make an interesting Penguin.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's what the prosthetics make Colin Farrell look like! Like, that's an actor we already have!

Straightzi wrote: »
    It's what the prosthetics make Colin Farrell look like! Like, that's an actor we already have!

I know! I was just thinking he’d make an interesting Penguin though!

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Richard Kind had a very funny guest spot on Girls 5 Eva

He was playing a version of himself not unlike the Carl Weathers bit from Arrested Development. He puts his own spin on it, it's a hoot.

I just started Girls 5 Eva earlier this week, looking forward to some Kind

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Richard Kind was already in Gotham. He was the mayor!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    Look, if you’re as pretty as Colin you need a change every once in a while.

I guess

Straightzi wrote: »
    I just started Girls 5 Eva earlier this week, looking forward to some Kind

There are a couple of weak episodes, but that show was such an unexpected delight. Just some old school, "let's tell a shitload of jokes" sitcomming.

I actively hated Kimmy Schmidt, so it's my first real fix since 30 Rock, I think?

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited June 20
    It continues to feel pretty scummy how we made Klumps-style fatsuits a "prestige acting decision" instead of just

acknowledging fat actors exist

Dex Dynamo on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I am paying less attention to Farrell and more attention to Christina Milioti playing evil for once.

Last pint: What Fresh Beast '24 / Breakside - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    It continues to feel pretty scummy how we made Klumps-style fatsuits a "prestige acting decision" instead of just

acknowledging fat actors exist

A thing that is Complicated (and please do not read this as a defense, merely as explanation) is that it is hard for an actor to convincingly play a different body type, to move and control their bodies and voices in a way consistent with a life not their own. It pushes the standard skillset to extreme limits, in a way that is especially impressive to other practicians of the craft.

Which can lead to some of those practicians missing the "this is dehumanizing" forest for the "ooh, neat trick" trees. I don't think it's inherently malicious, but that doesn't make it any less shitty

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    But the clumps wouldn't work if you had different actors though? It's obviously a hat on a hat for the spin off movie but Eddie Murphy playing multiple parts is one of his main things. It's the brand.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
    I think he was just calling the suits “Klump Style” not insinuating that movie was a problem.

Something like The Klumps is 100% fine.

Was it Monster that started the whole trend of making yourself ugly to try to win an award?

I feel Charlize Theron’s win kind of kickstarted the whole thing.

(I know there are examples before that but they didn’t start the “movement”)

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I genuinely can’t tell if The Acolyte is pulling a really good red herring on the identity of their big bad, or if (more likely), it’s just so badly written that it seems to genuinely believe it’s not being painfully obvious.

I think more than almost anything else, Evil has the best writing and direction for child actors of anything on TV and it's not even close. The gaggle of daughters is consistently an absolute delight in every episode.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    That everyone keeps watching Star Wars shows is why I refuse to trust any of you that Andor is any good

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Was it Monster that started the whole trend of making yourself ugly to try to win an award?

I feel Charlize Theron’s win kind of kickstarted the whole thing.

(I know there are examples before that but they didn’t start the “movement”)

Depends on the kind of ugly you're talking about really, and I wouldn't say Theron started the trend. I'd say since at least the 80s there's been this idea of serious actors losing themselves in a dark role that the Academy responded well to and is seen as a path to the Oscar. I would say the moderni popularity of this path starting with Anthony Hopkins taking home the gold for Hannibal Lecter.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Gustav wrote: »
    That everyone keeps watching Star Wars shows is why I refuse to trust any of you that Andor is any good

I've only seen a couple of episodes of Clone Wars (I hear it eventually becomes not a kids show, but I couldn't hang with the kids show long enough to get there), and the first season of the Mandalorian, which was fun. Couldn't finish season two, couldn't make it even through the pilot of anything else.

Thought Andor ruled, though, real good show. Increasingly convinced it was a fluke.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

I've never been happier about my completionist self being more focused on wanting to watch every film over wanting to watch every show. Also I'm finally getting back into books and maybe even games, so Disney/Marvel/Star Wars going overboard on TV nowadays works to my benefit, this is gonna be near-bottom of the pile if I ever get to it

I'm only in the middle of...2 shows right now? Technically 1. Helps that I'm making the right choices with my picks too

Smiling Friends season 2 ends over the weekend (I love it)
    Pretty Little Liars: Summer School just ended today (I loved it)
    House of the Dragon season 2 just started this past weekend (liking it)

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I've never watched any star wars show except for Andor and I think Andor is great

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Lot of Andorks in here, iyam.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I've been mad about Star Wars being shit for years and Andor was phenomenal. I was refusing to watch until my wife insisted for unknown reasons. Any other show would feel accomplished to have one big tense climax and Andor has like 4 of them that blow just about every other Star Wars piece out of the water. The cast is stacked.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 21
    The best thing I can say about andor is that over half the time you forget it has anything to do with star wars at all.

tynic on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Just got around to finishing Blue eye samurai, really enjoyed it, wondering
    if we know if it got the second seasons it’s ending promises? Like is it in production or do we know anything?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The best thing I can say about andor is that over half the time you forget it has anything to do with star wars at all.

This is the first thing that has made me want to watch it

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Just got around to finishing Blue eye samurai, really enjoyed it, wondering
    if we know if it got the second seasons it’s ending promises? Like is it in production or do we know anything?

It
    got renewed the following month/last December, yeah. The creators have a 4-season plan https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/blue-eye-samurai-renewed-for-season-2-at-netflix-1235740938/

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah Andor was great, I haven't watched any other Star Wars show. My mom was also super into it, she re-watched it with me and she's absolutely not a fan of Star Wars in general.

Do what you can to elect Harris/Walz and downticket Dem candidates in your area by doorknocking, phonebanking, or postcarding: https://www.mobilize.us/
    Evil remains the best show on tv currently and I’m going to WEEP when it’s over.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Finished season 2 of The Shield last night.

I can already see the whole set-up for season 3. I can't wait to see where it goes.

Especially...
    seeing Dutch(which also means Claudette will be involved surely)on the case. Because we know Vic is going wriggle free again, there's still like 5 seasons. So the big question is how does he get out this time?

Becuase the dynamic duo is gonna start putting this together.

Show is a fun ride.

I love that Dutch just kinda sucks

He's not a bad human being, he's better at his job than most of his peers. He just... Kinda sucks

This discussion has been closed.