Options

Unborking the [Ukraine] discussion

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    2024 is a strange year with so many elections being held in it, which also isn't helping. Both major parties have indicated that increased military spending (and generally a focus on increasing capacity for shells/missile production) will be part of their manifestos - but there's no date set yet for the election so that's not going to be a day 0 thing happening. France has theirs in June on top of the European elections that are also taking place around the same time.

Second half of this year is when the real consequences of the sanctions are expected to start hitting as well aren't they? As the costs of the short term mitigation efforts come home to roost, maintenance cycles start to edge closer to the disastrous risk categories and the last of the reserves and replacement 'bits of stuff' start to run out.

I'm almost wonder how close China is getting to having to decide how much it really wants to support Russia, or if stepping back and letting things start taking it's course once the cheques start bouncing again is more in their interest that seeing the West/Nato get properly organised in getting production lines going for swift replacements and restocking of Ukraine. If the war in Ukraine ends at the end of this year or beginning of next, that restocking process is going to be a lot more leisurely.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    2024 is a strange year with so many elections being held in it, which also isn't helping. Both major parties have indicated that increased military spending (and generally a focus on increasing capacity for shells/missile production) will be part of their manifestos - but there's no date set yet for the election so that's not going to be a day 0 thing happening. France has theirs in June on top of the European elections that are also taking place around the same time.

Second half of this year is when the real consequences of the sanctions are expected to start hitting as well aren't they? As the costs of the short term mitigation efforts come home to roost, maintenance cycles start to edge closer to the disastrous risk categories and the last of the reserves and replacement 'bits of stuff' start to run out.

I'm almost wonder how close China is getting to having to decide how much it really wants to support Russia, or if stepping back and letting things start taking it's course once the cheques start bouncing again is more in their interest that seeing the West/Nato get properly organised in getting production lines going for swift replacements and restocking of Ukraine. If the war in Ukraine ends at the end of this year or beginning of next, that restocking process is going to be a lot more leisurely.

China needs closer ties with Russia going forward if they hope to fight their own wars of conquest any time soon. Right now they need to import energy and food by sea, and getting into a shooting war with the US Navy(and the blockades they can trivially implement) would be immediately disastrous. Russia is an exporter of both and directly borders them by land.

Of all the BRICS countries those two have the only real reason to support each other, especially if one dreams of conquering Europe and the other of conquering Asia.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I'm going to get yelled at for even putting this out into the universe, but fuck it, 'manifesting things' is bullshit, don't @ me.

I'm feeling pretty confident that Ukraine, nations of the EU, and other allied sorts have been doing a lot of math on what to do if Trump wins in November.

Hell, short of something that would actually get folks executed, it'd be just swell if someone 'forgot' a bunch of long range strike munitions with the keys still in them (I know, I know) on the Polish border. Repeatedly. Every week between November and January 20th 2025.

Once he takes office and goes through the motions to restrict/rescind support, and maybe even redirect it to that glorious stallion of a man, Putin, his best friend, a good man who says such nice things about him, etc, obviously the calculus will change once again.

Basically, we all lamented that many nations put off certain systems or training for months or years.

We *know*, with certainty, that we are ~9 months away from things potentially going extra pear shaped, and will have a much clearer idea in ~6.5 or so.

Hopefully contingency planning is happening now, in preparation for that possible outcome.

Now, obviously, I'm not saying that they should hold back help. I hope all the help possible goes out as fast as possible.

But as the long running joke goes about nations having contingency plans for fighting off zombies or an alien invasion, this seems like a very realistic potential outcome that I hope has had good people putting a lot of thought and work into.

I'll take "Pretext for Trump to Join the War On Russia's Side" for $1000, Alex

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    That's wholly compatible with Russia getting booted out of Ukraine. That Russia will be very low on friends and will have destroyed the most lucrative market for its primary exports.

Edit: on a separate tangent, the UK has decided to join in the festivities with a smaller but still pretty substantial package that seems to contain some of the most urgently requested types of equipment: https://mil.in.ua/en/news/uk-announces-the-largest-aid-package-for-ukraine-air-defense-missiles-armored-vehicles-and-boats/
    The military aid package will include, among other things, the following:

60 boats, including offshore raiding craft, rigid raiding craft, and dive boats, as well as maritime guns;
    More than 1,600 strike and air defense missiles, as well as additional Storm Shadow long-range precision-guided missiles;
    More than 400 vehicles, including 160 protected mobility ‘Husky’ vehicles, 162 armored vehicles and 78 all-terrain vehicles;
    Nearly 4 million rounds of small arms ammunition.

Russia was probably wise to move the rest of the BSF out of Sevastopol. But I'm sure other snacks can be found.

V1m on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

China needs closer ties with Russia going forward if they hope to fight their own wars of conquest any time soon. Right now they need to import energy and food by sea, and getting into a shooting war with the US Navy(and the blockades they can trivially implement) would be immediately disastrous. Russia is an exporter of both and directly borders them by land.

Of all the BRICS countries those two have the only real reason to support each other, especially if one dreams of conquering Europe and the other of conquering Asia.

Said it before and I’ll say it again: china’s best play is to give Russia just enough support to keep the war going but not enough to actually win since that way they cause Russia to burn itself the fuck out (making it more reliant on china) while at the same time causing nato to waste resources that could be potentially sent to Taiwan.

After all, getting the latter would be great but making Russia a stunted tributary for the next several decades? That might actually be better.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I'm going to get yelled at for even putting this out into the universe, but fuck it, 'manifesting things' is bullshit, don't @ me.

I'm feeling pretty confident that Ukraine, nations of the EU, and other allied sorts have been doing a lot of math on what to do if Trump wins in November.

Hell, short of something that would actually get folks executed, it'd be just swell if someone 'forgot' a bunch of long range strike munitions with the keys still in them (I know, I know) on the Polish border. Repeatedly. Every week between November and January 20th 2025.

Once he takes office and goes through the motions to restrict/rescind support, and maybe even redirect it to that glorious stallion of a man, Putin, his best friend, a good man who says such nice things about him, etc, obviously the calculus will change once again.

Basically, we all lamented that many nations put off certain systems or training for months or years.

We *know*, with certainty, that we are ~9 months away from things potentially going extra pear shaped, and will have a much clearer idea in ~6.5 or so.

Hopefully contingency planning is happening now, in preparation for that possible outcome.

Now, obviously, I'm not saying that they should hold back help. I hope all the help possible goes out as fast as possible.

But as the long running joke goes about nations having contingency plans for fighting off zombies or an alien invasion, this seems like a very realistic potential outcome that I hope has had good people putting a lot of thought and work into.

I'll take "Pretext for Trump to Join the War On Russia's Side" for $1000, Alex

Pretty much, although if Trump's in the White House next year the US is going to switch sides regardless. Remember, the man praised the invasion as a genius move, and had talked about US military assistance to Russia at points.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    That's wholly compatible with Russia getting booted out of Ukraine. That Russia will be very low on friends and will have destroyed the most lucrative market for its primary exports.

Edit: on a separate tangent, the UK has decided to join in the festivities with a smaller but still pretty substantial package that seems to contain some of the most urgently requested types of equipment: https://mil.in.ua/en/news/uk-announces-the-largest-aid-package-for-ukraine-air-defense-missiles-armored-vehicles-and-boats/

60 boats, including offshore raiding craft, rigid raiding craft, and dive boats, as well as maritime guns;
    More than 1,600 strike and air defense missiles, as well as additional Storm Shadow long-range precision-guided missiles;
    More than 400 vehicles, including 160 protected mobility ‘Husky’ vehicles, 162 armored vehicles and 78 all-terrain vehicles;

Russia was probably wise to move the rest of the BSF out of Sevastopol. But I'm sure other snacks can be found.

Especially as the US bill includes instructions to give Ukraine the full range ATACAMS

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/23/ukraine-war-briefing-long-range-atacms-missiles-on-the-way-says-zelenskiy

That about doubles the range those can go.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

If anything Russia-India are tighter than Russia-China. They complement each other quite well in terms of science and economy, and they would compliment each other even better if Russia weren't russo-supremacists and India weren't going full Hindu nationalism atm.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

If anything Russia-India are tighter than Russia-China. They complement each other quite well in terms of science and economy, and they would compliment each other even better if Russia weren't russo-supremacists and India weren't going full Hindu nationalism atm.

Also if they had an actual border.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Not having an actual border probably helps as much as anything with their relationship.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Especially as the US bill includes instructions to give Ukraine the full range ATACAMS

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/23/ukraine-war-briefing-long-range-atacms-missiles-on-the-way-says-zelenskiy

Now I'm curious if the usage restrictions are unchanged or not...

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Not having an actual border probably helps as much as anything with their relationship.
    Not if they want to engage on trade it doesn’t.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Looks like it's time to call my shitty congresscritter and say thanks.

Took long enough.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    The no votes were Sanders, Merkley, Welch and a bunch of Republicans you can probably guess.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Kind of surprised Paul and Tuberville skipped instead of showing up to vote no.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    The no votes were Sanders, Merkley, Welch and a bunch of Republicans you can probably guess.
    Opponents in the Senate, like the House, included some left-wing senators who are opposed to aiding Israel as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has bombarded Gaza and killed thousands of civilians. Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., voted against the package.

“We must end our complicity in this terrible war,” Sanders said.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    4/23 Ukrainian milvlogging tl;dw The Russian advance west of Avdiivka made tactically significant gains recently. The floating end of the defensive line north of Berdychi was exploited as Russian scouting revealed that Ukrainian defenders had indeed left that as a weak spot. They have pushed a salient hard northwest into Ocheretyne and are working on solidifying their gains there as well as widening the salient to prevent it from being cut off and pocketed. A further Ukrainian mistake in troop allocation and rotation allowed Russian troops to expand their initial toehold in Ocheretyne into more significant control.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    https://newsukraine.rbc.ua/news/uk-to-transfer-paveway-iv-bombs-to-ukraine-1713954897.html

UK to transfer Paveway IV bombs to Ukraine
    UK to send Paveway IV aerial bombs to Ukraine as part of next military aid package, according to BBC journalist Jonathan Beale.

"Latest batch of UK military aid to Ukraine will include Paveway IV bombs," he says.
    Paveway IV characteristics

The Paveway IV bomb is a 230 kg munition equipped with two guidance systems: GPS and laser. It is produced by the UK company Raytheon UK and is the latest version of the Paveway series.

The Paveway IV can engage targets using GPS, laser targeting, or a combination of both. This gives pilots more flexibility when choosing strike tactics. The aerial bomb has also high accuracy in hitting targets.

Paveway IV can be used from a variety of combat aircraft, including the Harrier GR9, Panavia Tornado, Eurofighter Typhoon, and F-35 Lightning II.

Overall the Paveway IV is an effective and versatile weapon used by the Royal Air Force and likely to be used by the Royal Navy.

The tweet

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    Opponents in the Senate, like the House, included some left-wing senators who are opposed to aiding Israel as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has bombarded Gaza and killed thousands of civilians. Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., voted against the package.

Edit: Can’t read this morning.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    what does your post have to do with Sanders not wanting to vote for providing Israel with weapons?

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    honovere wrote: »
    what does your post have to do with Sanders not wanting to vote for providing Israel with weapons?

Blah apologies, I missed Netanyahu reference and assumed he was talking about Ukraine since we are in that thread.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Basically expected. I presume some counting was done and golden tickets were handed out for the protest votes.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Basically expected. I presume some counting was done and golden tickets were handed out for the protest votes.

One of the annoying parts of the sausage making, for sure.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Where are those F16s?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I would expect Ukraine to keep their mouths shut about them until after they've returned from their first major operation

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Agreed. I hope/expect it'll be a 'oh, they just got home from their first sortie 35 minutes ago' kinda thing.

I mean, not literally, but you know what I mean. As with many spiffy new capabilities, ideally we'll find out about them when a bunch of Russian shit is abruptly blown up/on fire.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I would expect Ukraine to keep their mouths shut about them until after they've returned from their first major operation

Heck, I'd settle for not mentioning them at all, as long as they're there.

Just shit blowing up deep behind enemy lines or in mainland Russia.

"Was that the F-16's?"
    *blank look* "I dunno." *shrug*

• Options
    Dac wrote: »
    Where are those F16s?

Previously committed so I don't think they're part of the current bill, but they're also still tied up in pilot training until sometime this summer/fall.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just regarding how long until it gets ramped up...

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3753454/pentagon-press-secretary-air-force-maj-gen-pat-ryder-holds-a-press-briefing/
    "Pentagon Press Secretary Air Force Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder Holds a Press Briefing"
    I mean, in general terms, I would say that we would expect to be able to deliver aid within days. You know, of course, and I will caveat this by saying I don't have anything to announce right now in terms of what that aid could look like. You know, we need to have a law first. But depending on what that aid is -- and as you've seen in the past, we provide a variety of aid -- you know, anticipating this, we're doing everything we can to lean forward to be able to provide additional security assistance to Ukraine as quickly as possible.

And that's from a 19 hour old article. So they're ready to go.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

"Was that the F-16's?"

"What F-16s?"

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Politico reports we've already secretly been delivering ATACMS as of last month.

enc0re on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    hiraeth wrote: »
    https://newsukraine.rbc.ua/news/uk-to-transfer-paveway-iv-bombs-to-ukraine-1713954897.html

UK to transfer Paveway IV bombs to Ukraine
    UK to send Paveway IV aerial bombs to Ukraine as part of next military aid package, according to BBC journalist Jonathan Beale.

"Latest batch of UK military aid to Ukraine will include Paveway IV bombs," he says.
    Paveway IV characteristics

The Paveway IV bomb is a 230 kg munition equipped with two guidance systems: GPS and laser. It is produced by the UK company Raytheon UK and is the latest version of the Paveway series.

The Paveway IV can engage targets using GPS, laser targeting, or a combination of both. This gives pilots more flexibility when choosing strike tactics. The aerial bomb has also high accuracy in hitting targets.

Paveway IV can be used from a variety of combat aircraft, including the Harrier GR9, Panavia Tornado, Eurofighter Typhoon, and F-35 Lightning II.

Overall the Paveway IV is an effective and versatile weapon used by the Royal Air Force and likely to be used by the Royal Navy.

The tweet

Cool. Although I'm curious to how they expect to deploy the weapon in a meaningful way. The benefits of the Paveway is precision, but it has very low stand-off capability. You can lob it to some extent, but you'd have to be within a few km of the target since it doesn't really have any ability to glide.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    My guess is they will be used after one of Ukraine's famous "hit absolutely everything with a drone bomb" maneuvers and in areas Russia temporarily has minimal air defense

they can't be everywhere

although I don't imagine they'll get too much use until F-16s are in Ukraine

override367 on
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    After the promise of a third Patriot system by Germany, Greece now considers sending one system in return for security assurances by the US against Turkey (Greece has been and is very unwilling to send anything from their military stocks because of the their relationship with Turkey), and Germany is pressuring the US to also send at least another Patriot system.

There'S another Ramstein Meeting on the 26th so maybe some more definite news about more anti-air systems then

While that's awesome of Greece, I think it's an unfortunate reality that the US should no longer be a reliable partner when it comes to a security assurance. If Biden wins? Absolutely. If Trump wins? Erdogan is Trump's buddy, and if he wants to fuck with Greece, well, Trump would probably think that's OK.

It's absolutely fucked that we're a coinflip away from the US electing someone who will betray the ideals of America's European foreign policy for the last eight decades, because he's friendly with authoritarian shitheels.

I'm honestly kind of sanguine about Ukraine's prospects in a 2nd Trump presidency. Trump is extremely susceptible to flattery and quid pro quo bargains, both of which are things Zelensky can do.

What?

Over the past decade literally the only thing Trump has shown loyalty to other than himself is Russia, and he's completely internalized Ukraine as being central to whatever insane Biden-centric conspiracy world he lives in. Zelensky is an enemy as far as Trump's concerned, and he holds permanent grudges.

Assistance to Ukraine would vanish on day one of a Trump presidency. Assistance to Russia starting on day two wouldn't surprise me in the least, given Trump's take on the whole conflict when the war started.

Also a reminder, it was Zelensky specifically who he tried to extort, and that act got him impeached the first time.

I can't think of a foreign leader that Trump would be nursing a bigger grievance against, than the current President of Ukraine. Trump might forget favors. He rarely forgets slights.

Yes, he allows Graham and Cruz and Rubio to kiss the ring despite blasting him, but as we see repeatedly, that's a political calculus, and he's happy to humiliate and demean them when the mood strikes. It's part of his power play.

That's my point - Zelensky can give him something he wants by rolling over on the whole Burisma and Hunter Biden nonsense. Trump cares more about hurting his local domestic enemies than feuding with a foreign president.

• Options
    I strongly doubt Zelensky has the slightest expectation of anything good from Trump, now or ever. Nor from many of his likely successors.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Zelensky has a better chance of getting assassinated because Trump immediately phones up Putin and tells him his location than of ever getting a dollar of extra aid out of Trump.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    After the promise of a third Patriot system by Germany, Greece now considers sending one system in return for security assurances by the US against Turkey (Greece has been and is very unwilling to send anything from their military stocks because of the their relationship with Turkey), and Germany is pressuring the US to also send at least another Patriot system.

There'S another Ramstein Meeting on the 26th so maybe some more definite news about more anti-air systems then

While that's awesome of Greece, I think it's an unfortunate reality that the US should no longer be a reliable partner when it comes to a security assurance. If Biden wins? Absolutely. If Trump wins? Erdogan is Trump's buddy, and if he wants to fuck with Greece, well, Trump would probably think that's OK.

It's absolutely fucked that we're a coinflip away from the US electing someone who will betray the ideals of America's European foreign policy for the last eight decades, because he's friendly with authoritarian shitheels.

I'm honestly kind of sanguine about Ukraine's prospects in a 2nd Trump presidency. Trump is extremely susceptible to flattery and quid pro quo bargains, both of which are things Zelensky can do.

What?

Over the past decade literally the only thing Trump has shown loyalty to other than himself is Russia, and he's completely internalized Ukraine as being central to whatever insane Biden-centric conspiracy world he lives in. Zelensky is an enemy as far as Trump's concerned, and he holds permanent grudges.

Assistance to Ukraine would vanish on day one of a Trump presidency. Assistance to Russia starting on day two wouldn't surprise me in the least, given Trump's take on the whole conflict when the war started.

Also a reminder, it was Zelensky specifically who he tried to extort, and that act got him impeached the first time.

I can't think of a foreign leader that Trump would be nursing a bigger grievance against, than the current President of Ukraine. Trump might forget favors. He rarely forgets slights.

Yes, he allows Graham and Cruz and Rubio to kiss the ring despite blasting him, but as we see repeatedly, that's a political calculus, and he's happy to humiliate and demean them when the mood strikes. It's part of his power play.

That's my point - Zelensky can give him something he wants by rolling over on the whole Burisma and Hunter Biden nonsense. Trump cares more about hurting his local domestic enemies than feuding with a foreign president.

Trump cares about pleasing Putin a lot. That's been extremely consistent for years.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

What?

I’m confused what you mean about Burisma and Hunter in this case. If we’re dealing with the situation of Trump’s second term those two bargaining chips are worthless to Trump after he wins.

If he wants to prosecute Hunter, he’ll order his DoJ to do it anyway. He’ll have the full power of the U.S. government in hand to get revenge on his domestic enemies and he couldn’t give less of a shit about Ukraine outside of what they could do to benefit him. So he’ll immediately throw them to the wolves and withdraw the U.S. from NATO without a second thought.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

"Was that the F-16's?"

"What F-16s?"

I'm not sure which would be better.

A continued blank stare.

Or a cartoonishly wide shit-eating grin.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!