Options

[Nintendo Switch] Over 7 years of awesomeness. Switch 2 in 2025?

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Picked up Theatrythm: Final Fantasy FBL on sale last night and went halfway-ish through a game story. Fun stuff, but I think the game put a few bonus objectives in front of me that I'm expected to fail the first time through.

Chose XIV as my starter so stuff like beating Ifrit and Titan looked like it wasn't gonna happen unless I was already super good at rhythm games (which I'm not).

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Picked up Theatrythm: Final Fantasy FBL on sale last night and went halfway-ish through a game story. Fun stuff, but I think the game put a few bonus objectives in front of me that I'm expected to fail the first time through.

Chose XIV as my starter so stuff like beating Ifrit and Titan looked like it wasn't gonna happen unless I was already super good at rhythm games (which I'm not).

Oh yeah, if the bonus ojbective is "beat XXX enemy" or "do XXX damage", you're probably not going to get it the first go-around.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Don't do it!

Is it that bad?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Princess Peach Showtime is a fun enough mini game collection platformer but something about it just feels slightly off.
    Probably the laggy loading screens and that awful horn that goes off before every stage.

I'm definitely not the target demo for it, but it's nice to have a Peach game not about mood swings.
    It's very kirbyesque in that there are collectibles that can be missed and then you have to play the entire stage again to try find them and no thank you.

I thought this would be a good cleanser after a long rpg but then I realised that rebirth is a mini game collection as well and so I'm just doing more mini games I guess. Oh well.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Don't do it!

Is it that bad?

No idea but buying a game solely on the title is a dangerous game of Russian roulette with your money lol.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying Peach Showtime a whole lot but I probably wouldn't recommend it - certainly not for $60 - for someone who doesn't have a child/sibling/relative of an appropriate age who is super into it to play/watch with you.

It's essentially a perfect game for my daughter (4). She's completely enthralled and that amplifies my enjoyment a hundredfold. We've both had huge smiles on our faces the whole time.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    But I'm sure their THIRD attempt to pivot to mobile games will work out great for Gust.

For better or for worse they aren't actually making the mobile game. That's been contracted out to some sort of gatcha sweatshop. I think Gust is still working on the next real atelier game.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying Peach Showtime a whole lot but I probably wouldn't recommend it - certainly not for $60 - for someone who doesn't have a child/sibling/relative of an appropriate age who is super into it to play/watch with you.

It's essentially a perfect game for my daughter (4). She's completely enthralled and that amplifies my enjoyment a hundredfold. We've both had huge smiles on our faces the whole time.

Agreed with this. My 8-year old daughter is LOVING it, but I can see it not being for anyone outside the target audience.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's interesting how one of the first things that Peach Showtime does is introduce dodge-counters. They're absurdly easy to do, but still, that's the sort of tech that the game's target audience normally wouldn't experience until they're significantly older.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    It's interesting how one of the first things that Peach Showtime does is introduce dodge-counters. They're absurdly easy to do, but still, that's the sort of tech that the game's target audience normally wouldn't experience until they're significantly older.

Yeah, my daughter was not having it when it came to dodging. She was so scared to put herself in danger in order to hit a timing window to counter. If that mechanic stayed in, it should have come in a bit later.

What's funny is having to explain the Ninja stuff to her.

"Why did I turn into a log daddy?"
    "Why is Peach holding up two leaves in front of her?"
    "Why does she have a green stick underwater?"

Ah, the classic ninja tropes. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Ahhh, that dreaded conversation every parent must eventually have with their child. Explaining Ninjitsu.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's tough. When we were kids the Ninja Turtles did all the explaining so our parents didn't have to.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Kids used to understand about using genjutsu to switch places with a log or training dummy, but now they can't, because WOKE.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

My wife was having a hell of a time with that and the Cake Decorating but eventually we realized that the dodge counters are basically unmissable if you just spam jump as they'll trigger even if you're in the middle of jumping, and the cake decorating does NOT care how much junk you pile on there, as it will turn into good decorations once you fill in the appropriate lines and extra frosting doesn't have any negative impact.

So, for kids it's basically just hammering on buttons, but for adults who overthink it can be incredibly difficult.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Man, I miss the glut of ninja movies from the 80s.

It's just not the same anymore.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 24
    Did ninja movies in the 80s have the "disappear in a puff of smoke and be replaced by a log" trope? I don't think I ran into that one anywhere before naruto
    I wonder what media originated that

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 24
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Yeah, my daughter was not having it when it came to dodging. She was so scared to put herself in danger in order to hit a timing window to counter. If that mechanic stayed in, it should have come in a bit later.

What's funny is having to explain the Ninja stuff to her.

"Why did I turn into a log daddy?"
    "Why is Peach holding up two leaves in front of her?"
    "Why does she have a green stick underwater?"

Ah, the classic ninja tropes. :)

I had to field literally these questions verbatim as well as "why is she holding up paper that looks like the wall?"

This generation. smh

Plus you don't actually have to dodge, you can just hammer attack and you'll do a sort of evade. I discovered it by accident when I over-committed to attacking one of the not-piranha-plant tentacles in the first boss fight.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Did ninja movies in the 80s have the "disappear in a puff of smoke and be replaced by a log" trope? I don't think I ran into that one anywhere before naruto

I think it's been around for a while. The ninja characters in Samurai Shodown had log-related teleports, and I doubt it was new then

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

I think it's been around for a while. The ninja characters in Samurai Shodown had log-related teleports, and I doubt it was new then

No logs, but American Ninja had all sorts of magic and fist mounted flamethrowers.
    There were movies with multi coloured ninjas, some of whom would wear headbands with Ninja written on it in that supposedly Oriental font that you see on takeaway menus.

They were still invisible when they needed to be, though.

NINJA MAGIC!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Ninjas are mammals

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Every ninja poops.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    But sometimes when a ninja is hungry and isn't paying attention to his sandwich..

And a mosquito gets stuck in the jelly..

A ninja can bite.. a mosquito.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    My wife is having a blast with Peach Showtime even though it's about two steps up from My First Videogame difficulty-wise

There are occasionally little platforming bits for collectibles that require a baffling amount of coordination though! It's very jarring!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Can't wait for Paper Mario: TTYD. Nintendo just posted the opening and they completely remade it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JOv3gxmwbA

Compared to the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17sw8JFL8n0

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Come onnnn, new content.
    There won't be any new content. :(

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    F-Zero: Maximum Velocity is coming this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF1niV0rW3c

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So Peach's Showtime is super easy, but my god, is it fun and charming. I'm enjoying this game a lot.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Ninjas are mammals

YOU'RE A MAMMAL!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Ninjas are mammals

Ninjas fight ALL the time.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    Ninjas are mammals

YOU'RE A MAMMAL!

They raise a paw their names are called the bat the cat koala bear and hog

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ninjas are mammals

Ahem.

vay22f3scgiv.jpg

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Ninjas are mammals

Ahem.

vay22f3scgiv.jpg

While they are an obvious exception they are also hybrids of uncertain biology, effectively halfway between reptiles and mammals.

So, birds, basically.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    That means a ninja milk smoothie could be a thing

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 28
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Ninjas are mammals

Ahem.

vay22f3scgiv.jpg

While they are an obvious exception they are also hybrids of uncertain biology, effectively halfway between reptiles and mammals.

So, birds, basically.

Technically birds aren’t halfway between reptiles and mammals. If you drew out a spectrum of relation where mammals were on one side and reptiles were in the middle, birds would be on the other end (technically modern reptiles would be towards the bird end, as IIRC all of the more mammal-like synapsid reptiles like Diametrodons and the like are extinct).

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    This week's eShop update

Switch Retail

Girl Genius: Adventures in Castle Heterodyne – $29.99 (available April 3)
    Outward: Definitive Edition – $39.99
    Touch Detective 3 + The Complete Case Files – $39.99

Switch Download

100 Doors – Escape from Prison – $9.99
    3D Printer: PrintMaster Simulator – $11.99 (available March 29)
    Across the Obelisk – $24.99
    Akatsuki: Lord of the Dawn – $9.99
    Arcade Archives Surprise Attack – $7.99
    Blind Shot – $4.99
    Brain Memory 2 – $4.99
    Coffee, Plis – $10.00 (available March 29)
    Contraptions Collection – $29.99
    Drift Force Xtreme: Ultimate Car Simulator 2024 – $9.99 (available March 31)
    Drift Legacy – $19.99
    Eggconsole Xak PC-8801mkIISR – $6.49
    Escape Fear: Hide and Seek Horror – $4.99
    Escape Game the Kitty School – $9.99
    Felix the Cat – $24.99
    Finding America: The West Collector’s Edition – $9.99
    Forrader Hero – $4.99 (available March 29)
    Fruity Puzzler – $8.99 (available March 29)
    Go Kart Mania – $9.99 (available March 29)
    HEBEREKE Enjoy Edition – $9.99
    House – $14.99 (available March 29)
    Junior Labyrinth – $9.99
    Just Find It 2 Collector’s Edition – $9.99
    Kingdom of Corrupts – $5.80
    Knowledge Keeper – $4.99 (available April 3)
    Labyrinthia Nightmares: The Journey of Little Fluffypuff – $11.99 (available March 30)
    Mad Experiments 2: Escape Room – $12.99 (available March 29)
    Melt Down – $0.99
    Missile Dancer 2 – $14.99
    Monster Panic – $11.99
    NightGhast – $3.49
    Not Tonight & Not Tonight 2 – $40.48
    Not Tonight 2 – $19.99
    Nyanzou & Kumakichi Bomb Cave – $9.80
    nZen – $9.99 (available March 29)
    Old Coin Pusher Friends 2 – $3.99
    One Last Breath – $17.99
    Open Roads – $19.99
    OTXO – $14.99
    Pepper Grinder – $14.99
    Re:Touring – $9.99 (available March 29)
    Redgar: The Space Viking – $14.99
    Saviorless – $12.99 (available March 30)
    Soul Dog TD – $10.99
    Spring Bunny Islands – $3.99
    Stasis: Bone Totem – $19.99
    Swing By – $9.99
    Terra Memoria – $19.99
    The World After – $9.99
    They Always Run Deluxe – $19.99
    To The Sky – $9.99
    Truck and Forklift Logistic Simulator – $14.99
    Unturned – $24.99
    Vikings: Valhalla Saga – $9.90
    Zombiewood: Survival Shooter – $9.99

Switch Pre-Order

Grounded

eShop Sales

Buy now and save up to 40% on Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown and Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown Deluxe Edition! Dash into a stylish and thrilling action-adventure platformer set in a mythological Persian world where the boundaries of time and space are yours to manipulate. This sale ends March 31 at 11:59 p.m. PT. For more information, visit https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/sales-and-deals/.

Spring on these great deals for your favorite Bethesda games! Save on titles like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition, DOOM Eternal and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus while they’re still in bloom! This sale ends on April 8 at 11:59 p.m. PT. For more information and to view the full list of games, visit https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/sales-and-deals/.

Experience new worlds and adventures during the Warner Bros. Games March Sale and save up to 85% on your favorite titles like Hogwarts Legacy, Mortal Kombat 1 and LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga! This sale ends March 31 at 11:59 p.m. PT. For more information and to view the full list of games, visit https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/sales-and-deals/.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Real ULTIMATE Power

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Played a few worlds of Mario and Rabbids Spark of Hope and yeah it's pretty fun. I do love that every character has a very specific purpose and swapping them around based on what type of enemy you are fighting is encouraged.

This game also makes my switch melt lol. I guess I've been playing the FF Remastered games too long and since they aren't too graphic intensive I never felt the back of the switch but after about 30 or so minutes of play I usually put it in sleep mode for a bit.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Played a few worlds of Mario and Rabbids Spark of Hope and yeah it's pretty fun. I do love that every character has a very specific purpose and swapping them around based on what type of enemy you are fighting is encouraged.

This game also makes my switch melt lol. I guess I've been playing the FF Remastered games too long and since they aren't too graphic intensive I never felt the back of the switch but after about 30 or so minutes of play I usually put it in sleep mode for a bit.

Don't worry about the fact that it's warm. Devices are designed to a) not run so hot that they'll damage themselves (i.e. they'll actually throttle/turn off before damage can occur), and b) the back being warm is a good thing, because the back is part of the heat dissipation system, so it's behaving exactly as it should.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular