Options

[Star Trek] is mostly just about the theme songs

• Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    A better discussion on Tapestry now I'm older is 'is it real? And if not is it just Captain Picard justifying his life - which we know later on in Generations isn't quite as satisfying as he makes out'.

Or to put it crudely is it a Boomer justifying their actions.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Generations changed the math for him. Robert, Marie, and Rene were there safe and sound in paradise so he could tell himself that part of the legacy wasn't his responsibility. Until very sudden they aren't there anymore.

• Options
    Picard is kind of weird. For some reason he isolates himself and won't explore relationships, when every other captain in Starfleet seems to have a family. He didn't have to sacrifice anything but instead he keeps going on about his sacrifices.

I think the dude was just madly in love with Crusher but couldn't make it work (even in awful Picard he screws it up).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Picard was written as an anti Kirk early on which is why hes so weirdly distant . Then the Borg happened and he just has trouble getting past that for the rest of the series

As for Bev they never go into it but he definitely feels guilty for have feelings for Jacks wife and also Wesley is definitely his son

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Jean-LucJean-Luc Registered User regular
    edited June 16
    Vash ruined all other women for him.
    boj5zd8iqcda.png
    Once you've "done archaeology" with someone there's no coming back.

Jean-Luc on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Vash found an ancient artifact in his pants.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    "Commander, this is extortion!"
    Sisko- "mmm, Yes it is."

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Jean-Luc wrote: »
    Vash ruined all other women for him.
    boj5zd8iqcda.png
    Once you've "done archaeology" with someone there's no coming back.

Why does this feel like a setup from Airplane?

..."oh where are my manners? Who is your friend here?"
    "Archie O'logy"

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Doing slow cooker pot roast tonight in honor of Captain Janeway since we're finishing the last two episodes of Voyager tonight.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    We'll prolly do something creole for DS9

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Doing slow cooker pot roast tonight in honor of Captain Janeway since we're finishing the last two episodes of Voyager tonight.

Might as well make it authentic and toss some coffee beans in.

• Options
    No my wife is specifically calling it "NOT Janeway's Pot Roast, cause she might be a stone cold killer, but she can't cook for shit"

• Options
    I do kinda love that most of the captains had a flair for either food or wine, and Janeway is just like "nah I got a ship to run, we've got little boxes for that"

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I do kinda love that most of the captains had a flair for either food or wine, and Janeway is just like "nah I got a ship to run, we've got little boxes for that"

and then they had to start rationing the little boxes and rely on Neelix to make up the difference.

• Options
    Somewhere out there is an old beat up Oberth where the captain is just a little too oddball and roams the decks with a vintage 20th century hotdog cart

• Options

Let's see... captain Riker's is Pizza, Sisko is Gumbo.
    Picard ever cook anything? Seems like Coq au vin would be right up his alley.

Let's see, who else... Captain Nog liked squid and toothgrubs.
    Kirk's is probably something boring like steak ... apparently he's never seen a salad.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 16
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Kirk's is probably something boring like steak ... apparently he's never seen a salad.

Jim loves Italian. And so do you.

alternatively: chicken sandwich and coffee.
    or brightly-colored food cubes.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Yeah Riker will be pizza for sure, we may do that for TNG (by the time we get through 7 seasons it should be fall and I want to build a wood fire pizza oven this year) and I'll have to make some of Picard's "Sour Mead" to go with it.

Gumbo for DS9 for sure.

I'm not gonna ask my wife to watch TOS when she's already given me so much.

SNW will have to be something from Pike's cookbook, which is something Kirk would eat anyway.

• Options
    I got a 2.5lb rump roast that I pan seared first, sitting in about 6 cups of beef stock in a slow cooker, along with some potatoes and onions and carrots.

Gonna do some texas toast to go with it.

Our toilet is gonna need ablative armor.

• Options
    For Sisko you can't forget the beets

• Options
    O'Brian is easy, MRE mashed potatoes and scotch.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I got a 2.5lb rump roast that I pan seared first, sitting in about 6 cups of beef stock in a slow cooker, along with some potatoes and onions and carrots.

Gonna do some texas toast to go with it.

Our toilet is gonna need ablative armor.

I made something a lot like this yesterday. My three year old refused to eat it and about broke my cholesterol clogged heart.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

He likes simple breakfasts, I know that. Coffee and croissants.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Picard's thing is just the wine, since he (now) owns a family vineyard.
    Of course, nobody else ever seems too impressed when he offers them a bottle, so I'm not guessing it's not a great wine.
    Just saying, it's pretty likely that Picard was a better captain, borg, and science lieutenant than he ever was a vintner.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Honestly a lot of fiction makes the main character good at everything they do, and Picard already has a pretty diverse resume. It's kind of a nice touch that his wine is shit.

• Options
    Janeway's specialty has to be pie, right?

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    No, her specialty is death and destruction. Her predilection is pecan pie
    and death and destruction, too.

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    No Janeway's is pot roast she can't even replicate correctly.

Also the pot roast tonight was delicious and weef found some absurdist surrealism with the two part finale that made me laugh.

Gonna do Prodigy next so she can see what's going on with Janeway as an intermission, then it's TNG S1E1

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Captain Annika Hansen liked cheesecake, the most filling and over-rich food in the universe

• Options
    Data's is semi-organic nutrient suspension in a silicone-based liquid medium.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Janeway's specialty has to be pie, right?

This was too good to be overlooked.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

... hot dogs?

• Options
    edited June 17
    Prodigy takes a couple episodes to get going but once it does it's really good and fun if you've watched other Star Trek media. But mainly it redeems Janeway's awful characterisation in Voyager. A lot.

RazielMortem on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Holo-Janeway wordlessly making a cup of coffee appear in her hand during an emergency was the second-best moment in Prodigy. The best being the log-playing in All the World's a Stage.

sig.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    "What would the real Janeway do?"
    [Sends a bunch of drones to obliterate the problem]

It'd be more a Lower Decks thing, but:
    "What would the real Janeway do?"
    [beat]
    [Self-destruct activates]

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Still a classic from Lower Decks on the Tuvix situation:
    "Well, I'm sure Janeway had a solution to this, I'll be back shortly"
    Shortly
    "Did Janeway figure it out?"
    "NO! She just murdered him!"
    "There has to be more to it"
    "She isolated the genomes and just split him up - he begged her to live!"
    "Holy shit! Janeway didn't mess around"

• Options

Datas is feline nutrition supplement 32

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Honestly a lot of fiction makes the main character good at everything they do, and Picard already has a pretty diverse resume. It's kind of a nice touch that his wine is shit.

Eh, a lot of the TNG era characters are really good at a whole lot of stuff, to the point where Picard not being good at wine making doesn't really register. Picard does: Riding horses (to the point where he has his own saddle that he'll kill people to protect), archaeology (manages to track down the origin of sentient life in the Milky Way), Starship Command stuff, whatever crazy amounts of hypermath and various engineering things that seem to be standard for almost everyone in Starfleet, various bits of arts, history, and culture from Earth and the rest of the known galaxy that get name dropped from time to time.

TNG characters weren't stupid, but they weren't the off the charts polymaths that a lot of the TNG command staff were.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Still a classic from Lower Decks on the Tuvix situation:
    "Well, I'm sure Janeway had a solution to this, I'll be back shortly"
    Shortly
    "Did Janeway figure it out?"
    "NO! She just murdered him!"
    "There has to be more to it"
    "She isolated the genomes and just split him up - he begged her to live!"
    "Holy shit! Janeway didn't mess around"

I appreciate they also immediately said they aren't stranded in the delta quadrant so they have basically unlimited resources to figure this out a different way

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

Eh, a lot of the TNG era characters are really good at a whole lot of stuff, to the point where Picard not being good at wine making doesn't really register. Picard does: Riding horses (to the point where he has his own saddle that he'll kill people to protect), archaeology (manages to track down the origin of sentient life in the Milky Way), Starship Command stuff, whatever crazy amounts of hypermath and various engineering things that seem to be standard for almost everyone in Starfleet, various bits of arts, history, and culture from Earth and the rest of the known galaxy that get name dropped from time to time.

TNG characters weren't stupid, but they weren't the off the charts polymaths that a lot of the TNG command staff were.

I think the wine sucking is just for the viewer to understand he has never and will never put his all into the vineyard even if he wont admit it to himself

I kinda think it would be hilarious if Jack was just amazing at it