Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Pittsburgh Stealers

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

The Pittsburgh Stealers!

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Pittsburgh Stealers

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Cute cookie jar. Is that new?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    People should definitely not preorder the new Star Wars game. The only way to show Ubisoft that we won't put up for their bullshit is to hurt them in the money. That's the only way they will listen.

Also, just buy the normal edition. No more buying season passes and DLC sight unseen when we don't even know if the base game is good.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I was a bit mystified, as "The Crew" only conjures up the award-winning cooperative trick taking game.

But this was a different "The Crew". One more relevant to Gabe's predilections.
    https://www.engadget.com/ubisoft-is-deleting-the-crew-from-players-libraries-reminding-us-we-own-nothing-165328083.html?guccounter=1

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    Amazing cookie jar.

Accurate C level representation along with this weeks ex blizzard wanker talking about how we should tip devs when bliz's practices have not been to pay devs in the first place, nor their game design choices aligning with their player base either.

God, those star wars games look nice... been hard to buy one since they kept jerking people around with the good battlefront games though. Just not touching that toxic brand of videogames with such high price and low morals though. And I know they'll blame it on steam being a monopoly while refusing to make a good store front thats not obnoxious and intrusive, while simultaneously suing them or something.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    the game looks very nice, but its Ubisoft and I don't give them my money anymore and haven't for several years.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pyrian wrote: »
    Cute cookie jar. Is that new?

Coming to the merch store in Q4.
    Question is, is there a second Fleshreaper cookie jar, or do you just spin this one around and the opposite side is the Fleshreaper?

Also, move that cookie jar back. It's entirely too close to the edge of that counter.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    the game looks very nice, but its Ubisoft and I don't give them my money anymore and haven't for several years.

Yup, I see game, then I see Ubisoft or EA or Blizzard and my interest craters into the negatives. My filthy lucre will be spent anywhere else.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    People should definitely not preorder the new Star Wars game. The only way to show Ubisoft that we won't put up for their bullshit is to hurt them in the money. That's the only way they will listen.

Also, just buy the normal edition. No more buying season passes and DLC sight unseen when we don't even know if the base game is good.

Also just don't "buy" the normal edition or anything else from them until they show a bit of consideration to the idea that you'd like to feel like you bought it from them.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 16
    IDK, reading about the situation with The Crew, it was an online only game, with its servers shut down. You've never owned the software, just the license to use it... at least before you owned the disc or CD that it came on. I don't know if private servers were officially sanctioned for this game either.

Why go to that effort if it's dead and de-listed though? One possible reason: The Crew featured licensed music in its radio stations which included songs from a few moderate to big artists. Could they have patched the music out? Perhaps. but it probably wasn't worth the cost given the game is online only and was being shut down. But if people are continuing to use the software specifically on private servers, there is argument by the licensor to continue to seek fees and there you have a situation where they're going to purge-purge it out. Is this the reason why they did it? I don't know. But thinking about it critically it is a possible circumstance.

Can't say I have any plans on buying the new Star Wars game regardless of this situation.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    IntotheSkyIntotheSky Registered User regular
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ross Scott's effort to use The Crew's shutdown as a jumping off point to launch a legal campaign against companies shutting down their game's central servers (at least without providing an alternative method of playing the game). If you live in the UK, Canada, or Australia, he's asking for people to sign petitions and if you bought a copy of The Crew in the EU, he's trying to coordinate a consumer rights action through France's fraud control agency.

He's got a website up at https://www.stopkillinggames.com/ and made a video explaining the campaign on his YouTube channel if anyone is interested in learning more

• Options
    edited April 16
    IntotheSky wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ross Scott's effort to use The Crew's shutdown as a jumping off point to launch a legal campaign against companies shutting down their game's central servers (at least without providing an alternative method of playing the game). If you live in the UK, Canada, or Australia, he's asking for people to sign petitions and if you bought a copy of The Crew in the EU, he's trying to coordinate a consumer rights action through France's fraud control agency.

He's got a website up at https://www.stopkillinggames.com/ and made a video explaining the campaign on his YouTube channel if anyone is interested in learning more

Most, if not all online service EULAs have a clause that grants the owners/providers the rights to shut down a software/service, and also the right to revoke or terminate use of the software/service at their discretion. This is why the EULA points to agreement to it via the act of installing/"using" it, not making the purchase. But the "right to use" is revocable. While the EU has ruled that EULAs are toilet paper when it comes to controlling the redistribution of software*, the right to use can be taken away. This absolutely affords them the right delete/disable the license.

The only thing that could be problematic for them would have been if they just abruptly shut it down. However, it seems that they did not do this:

57divn7qd4rx.png
    (Source)

Amusingly they also mention here licensing constraints in their letter.

While it may give him a bump and probably make some lawyers money, it's something of a waste of time. Really, your best option is to not buy their products if you don't like how things like this play out.

edit: *Relevant part for reselling, also there are limits to that but not really applicable to like games because they're technically single seaters.
    7q14tus5eyco.png
    099abvbxnybf.png

Where "until we say you can't" probably doesn't count as limited period, and again just applies to distribution (digital resales, when?). But afaik the EU stuff really focuses on the right to make backups, fiddle with things to figure out how it works within reason... it's all provided you have a "right to use" the software.

(Source)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Gabe and Tycho live in Canada?!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Gabe and Tycho live in Canada?!

Well, southern Canada.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The legality of it doesn't matter. It's still shitty and it's still anti-consumer. That's what this is about.

Yes, they have protected themselves with EULAs, but who gives a fuck. Legislation has been slow to catch-up/keep up with technology and software. Companies can get away with it because the laws allow them to. But they shouldn't be able to.

• Options
    IDK, I think it best to just agree to disagree on this one. Cheers!

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    IDK, reading about the situation with The Crew

Can't say I have any plans on buying the new Star Wars game regardless of this situation.

You could buy the sub for a month for $19, finish the game, and then cancel.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited April 16
    I wouldn't mind so much if all these online games were monthly fees, with zero up-front purchase prices (or purchase gives you X included months). That feels way more honest, and also feels like it gives more of a financial incentive to keep the thing going for as long as there is enough interest.

dennis on
  • Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    The idea of a digital game is kind of a new concept to the gamer community. First they came for our photoshop, and i didnt stand up, and then they came for our after paint... etc. If the company that made it doesn't make new income to support it, either through the same product or not, then they can't keep supporting it online like that. It's the fault of it being a game that exists with online dependencies. They could've planned for it, but that would've possibly costed money, for it to be able to exist as both. They'll use that argument if we try to complain, whether in public or in court.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    palidine40 wrote: »
    It's the fault of it being a game that exists with online dependencies.

It exists with online dependencies on purpose though, specifically and exclusively to extort as much money from you as possible. It's not an unfortunate consequence.

• Options
    HighPriestofZuulHighPriestofZuul Registered User regular
    I mean... this was inevitable. Did anyone here legitimately think they were going to keep the servers live forever? You need to consider these Destiny/Diablo 4/The Crew style games the same you would an MMO, where it's just gonna be gone one day. The suggestion of some sort of legal solution is like trying to sue Sega to bring The Matrix Online servers back up.

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Even in rayman legends the race mode doesn’t work on some platforms any more

That’s Ubisoft too

• Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    The Crew featured licensed music in its radio stations which included songs from a few moderate to big artists.
    With how often I hear that a game is having problems being ported/re-released because they used someone's music/ some actor likeness, game companies should just stop doing that. Sure it's nice to go "oh it's that song I know while playing a game, but it's rarely a vital part of said game, and I doubt it ever sell more copy.

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    I think it helps sell the music more than the game