Options

All things [FALLOUT]

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 21
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I would hope that given its a multiplatform bug we might actually see a fix for it eventually.

Especially with the recent interest in Fallout from the telly.

Though if you've got the skinny on loose crotches, I'm sure that could be useful to our ghoul friends.

I wouldn't count on it. Bethesda has never been good about supporting their games. In most cases at best there might be a fan mod/patch eventually.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    The Fallout aesthetic had always weirdly seemed like it was set twenty not 200 years after the bombs drop. When people would probably be living in broken remnants of the pre-war rather than building new.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 21
    People have built anew several times, but they’ve been actively destroyed and sabotaged again and again, not to mention it’s a world where radiation is dark magic and there are armies of super mutants and every creature on earth was turned into ravenous mutated killing machines.

Like if we have a nuclear apocalypse in our world we won’t have deathclaws to contend with in the aftermath etc, the regular rules don’t apply

it’s not like the bombs dropped and everyone dusted themselves off and moved on and started rebuilding. Multiple factions actively sabotage rebuilding efforts constantly, there are armies of killer robots, armies of super mutants, theres basically zombies, famines (food is scarce), diseases which are basically fantasy magic, etc. it’s not hard to believe that 200 years later things wouldn’t have changed much overall.

Like it’s not our world, it’s a fantasy crazy world of over the top evil even before the bombs dropped. the bombs basically turned the planet into a hellscape and every bunker contains a new cabal of villains intent on making sure only they are the ones who get to rebuild

Prohass on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I liked the concept of ring pulls. I really like Fallout: Tactics, despite its many flaws.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 20
    I'm not the biggest Fallout lore nerd. I never played Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, or 76.

But I did play Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas. There have been pockets of civilization here and there, such as the rogue Brotherhood faction in DC, Megaton, Rivet City, New Vegas, and Diamond City in Boston.

But the only thing close to actually "rebuilding anew" on a society-wide scale that I've heard of was the NCR and Caesar's Legion.

RT800 on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Extremely strange to me that the most technologically advanced faction in the show is using what appear to be Vickers guns with modified receivers and shoulder stocks

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Extremely strange to me that the most technologically advanced faction in the show is using what appear to be Vickers guns with modified receivers and shoulder stocks

I get the impression that the Brotherhood is on the skids since it's even dumber and less capable then it was in previous appearances.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest Fallout lore nerd. I never played Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, or 76.

But I did play Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas. There have been pockets of civilization here and there, such as the rogue Brotherhood faction in DC, Megaton, Rivet City, New Vegas, and Diamond City in Boston.

But the only thing close to actually "rebuilding anew" on a society-wide scale that I've heard of was the NCR and Caesar's Legion.

Assuming the Brotherhood ending of 4 is canon they have a pretty big thing going all down the mid Atlantic. Very much a feudal ordenstadt but they have control and govern.

• Options
    The Brotherhood is inherently flawed so no wonder they are failing in certain locations. Their idealogy basically makes everyone else an enemy. And even with most of the power armour, they can't last forever against everyone else. Combined with their feudal system and very skewed teaching, they will ultimately fail. This will only be accelerated if the Enclave comes and kicks their shit in because they trump the Brotherhoods main advantage. The BH are only ontop right now because of the Chosen One, Lone Wanderer and Sole Survivor canonically siding with them, or at least helping them.

Only the Courier has sided against them canonically, and they get wrecked.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think I would prefer it if we got like four more seasons of the show and zero more video games

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The Brotherhood is inherently flawed so no wonder they are failing in certain locations. Their idealogy basically makes everyone else an enemy. And even with most of the power armour, they can't last forever against everyone else. Combined with their feudal system and very skewed teaching, they will ultimately fail. This will only be accelerated if the Enclave comes and kicks their shit in because they trump the Brotherhoods main advantage. The BH are only ontop right now because of the Chosen One, Lone Wanderer and Sole Survivor canonically siding with them, or at least helping them.

Not disputing that, but is that actually the canonical outcome for the New Vegas brotherhood?

I know they fucking deserve it, but I'm surprised that getting them to aid you at Hoover isn't the canon outcome.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    I think I would prefer it if we got like four more seasons of the show and zero more video games

I'd love more games since it's super easy to not have one fuck with the other and the show has done great with cherry picking stuff and fleshing out the setting.

There's nothing bad game writing could take from me in regards to other adaptations

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

I'd love more games since it's super easy to not have one fuck with the other and the show has done great with cherry picking stuff and fleshing out the setting.

There's nothing bad game writing could take from me in regards to other adaptations

Yes but Bethesda seems to be stuck in a death-spiral right now and couldn’t make a playable game at gunpoint

• Options

Yes but Bethesda seems to be stuck in a death-spiral right now and couldn’t make a playable game at gunpoint

I'm hoping that Microsoft intercedes at some point since I have a feeling the New Vegas stuff might get a big pop next season and maybe someone else gets to play in the sandbox again

• Options
    Like even Blizzard, shambling husk that it is, manages to turn out two games at a time despite longer development cycles then average. Quality not withstanding (Time isn't why those franchises have gone downhill).

Fallout has a chance to get it's toes into the mainstream and maybe become one of their biggest ips

• Options

The Enclave is in a bad spot though. They were all but eradicated on the west and east coast and the most that can be said for them is maybe they have a presence around Chicago? And possibly a few small remnant bases here and there.

There definitely have been hinting they are out there but right now they are pretty much a blank slate.

Right now though the Brotherhood is basically Caesar’s legion in a can, I can’t see them being too stable after Maxson dies. He’s young and maybe he could cobble together something more lasting but it seems very much like a cult of personality.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited April 20
    Just give the Fallout games back to Obsidian. Bethesda is doing quite well with the show so far anyway

Yes, I’m aware that will never happen

But it should

Neco on
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Just give the Fallout games back to Obsidian. Bethesda is doing quite well with the show so far anyway

But it should

Outer Worlds was better than the last three Bethesda games, my hot take

• Options
    Well Bethesda and Obsidian are now bunk mates as they both got bought. So they could give it to Obsidian for another go around. But Outer Worlds was their Fallout In Space and I think it is getting a sequel so they're probably busy.
    Bethesda's big problem is they have no good story guys. There are rumours about Fallout 5 but unless they hire in talent I'm not convinced on the stories they'll tell.

• Options
    Beside Microsoft has probably told them to get in there and fix Starfield. What promise that had...

• Options
    I’m hoping Starfield eventually gets the Cyberpunk treatment.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Personally I'd reboot the franchise. I know people hate reboots but I know exactly how I'd do it to metaplot-neutral move all the interesting stuff back together so it can interact again.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

But it should

Outer Worlds was better than the last three Bethesda games, my hot take

I actually liked Outer Worlds. At least the overall conceit of it, the plot was actually pretty interesting. Feel like they could have done more with the game engine than "we have Gamebryo at home" though.

Also the fact that someone in Obsidian decided they wanted Jane Jacobs to voice a DLC character is many points in my book.

• Options
    Bethesda's big problem is they have no good story guys.

It’s a problem, but it’s in no way their big problem.

The big problem is their games are janky and broken and boring and ugly and dated and fucking tortuous to play

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Felt like I'd seen everything The Outer Worlds had to offer halfway through the second area.

Last three Bethesda Game Studios games would be Starfield, Fallout 76, and Fallout 4, though, and the two of those I even played I bounced off nearly instantly...

So nevermind, I guess I agree.

• Options
    edited April 20
    Yeeeaaah it's fucking work to get Bethesda games to run.

My loading screens in Fallout 4 can last up to 3-4 minutes unless modded. (Yes, I'm using an SSD) Something about the way their shitty engine is tied to framerates.

And I can only enjoy New Vegas in 30-minute chunks in-between crashes.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Thoughts on the outcomes of the games wrt the series...
    Fallout 1 and 2 - Shady Sands was not in Hawthorne (that's basically the boneyard), it was up near Death Valley, so that's the one retcon I can't reconcile with the series.
    Fallout 4 - The airship in the series is the Prydwen (the name is painted on the side), so most likely the Minutemen were the canonical victors in the game, but did not eliminate the Brotherhood. In the Brotherhood ending, since they are the ones in charge, they decide to stay in the Commonwealth. The Eastern Brotherhood returning to the west would explain why they are a major power in the region again.
    Fallout: New Vegas - The House Always Wins. The fact that Hank is going to Vegas suggests that he is expecting to find House there and in charge (House was at the meeting of evil corporations). Vegas also looks to be seriously messed up, so I'm guessing the fighting with the Legion was brutal, and both sides were mauled. That could explain why the NCR fell apart.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Personally I'd reboot the franchise. I know people hate reboots but I know exactly how I'd do it to metaplot-neutral move all the interesting stuff back together so it can interact again.

I mean if they want to remake 1 + 2 in some manner I'd say go for it.

I'd rather they branch the ip out into different genres instead. A Brotherhood or Enclave Darktide like game set in the NYC subway tunnels (filled with ghouls, rats, alligators, pigeons and whatever FEV/ abominations escaped the Bronx zoo? That could be fun.

Another top down tactical game? The X com remakes show that there's a market there.

An Unreal Tournament style FPS set during the Anchorage Campaign? Send it.

Capital Wasteland dating simulator? Marry the ghoul of your dreams.

• Options
    Thoughts on the outcomes of the games wrt the series...
    Fallout 1 and 2 - Shady Sands was not in Hawthorne (that's basically the boneyard), it was up near Death Valley, so that's the one retcon I can't reconcile with the series.
    Fallout 4 - The airship in the series is the Prydwen (the name is painted on the side), so most likely the Minutemen were the canonical victors in the game, but did not eliminate the Brotherhood. In the Brotherhood ending, since they are the ones in charge, they decide to stay in the Commonwealth. The Eastern Brotherhood returning to the west would explain why they are a major power in the region again.
    Fallout: New Vegas - The House Always Wins. The fact that Hank is going to Vegas suggests that he is expecting to find House there and in charge (House was at the meeting of evil corporations). Vegas also looks to be seriously messed up, so I'm guessing the fighting with the Legion was brutal, and both sides were mauled. That could explain why the NCR fell apart.

It would be pretty great if:
    Hank rolls into the Lucky 38 expecting house and getting Yes Man and subsequently things are not great for him.

I think we're fairly far past New Vegas at this point so I'm guessing we're just seeing additional decades of wear and tear - or the NCR/Not the legion scored a pyrrhic victory and the dam was destroyed along with Caesars forces.

Also with the Prydwen it could be out west because that's all that's left for the Brotherhood. Maxon going full incel and starting shit in the Commonwealth might have done a lot to diminish their influence and ability to make alliances. They might have gone back west due to the power vacuum that existed due to Shady Sands being nuked.

• Options
    edited April 20
    I don’t think they need a reboot, they just need to stop putting stupid shit like cursed ancient Egyptian artifacts into the universe

Neco on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited April 20
    Monwyn wrote: »

I get the impression that the Brotherhood is on the skids since it's even dumber and less capable then it was in previous appearances.

I mean, okay, but the Vickers (and basically any other water-jacketed machine gun) was obsolete before WWII

I get that this is definitely a Me problem but like the Brotherhood's whole thing is that they're the inheritors (alongside successfully reopened vaults) of the technological legacy of the pre-war era. Given the budget of the rest of this show it's difficult to believe that building a non-functional prop minigun would have hurt. It's just a weird choice.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Honestly I would be overjoyed with a remake of Fallout 1 and 2 using the Tactics sprites.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    I don’t think they need a reboot, they just need to stop putting stupid shit like cursed ancient Egyptian artifacts into the universe

Whay!?! The silly stuff IS Fallout. I mean they canonically have aliens!

• Options
    edited April 20

Whay!?! The silly stuff IS Fallout. I mean they canonically have aliens!

I like the silliness up to a point, but there are definitely times they go too far, and 3 and 4 both are guilty of it, and too often

But I also hate the alien stuff so 🤷‍♀️

Neco on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Yeeeaaah it's fucking work to get Bethesda games to run.

My loading screens in Fallout 4 can last up to 3-4 minutes unless modded. (Yes, I'm using an SSD) Something about the way their shitty engine is tied to framerates.

And I can only enjoy New Vegas in 30-minute chunks in-between crashes.

It took me something like 8 hours of effort, but I finally got Tale of Two Wastelands running and the load times are basically nothing, also on an SSD. Transitioning between indoors and outdoors is so fast that I initially forgot loading between them used to be an obnoxious thing, it's maybe a second here. This is even with running FO3 stuff (which Tale of Two Wastelands is running on the New Vegas engine).

The downside is that you have to get Tale of Two Wastelands running with Mod Organizer 2. Which is a pain in the ass.

But if I had to guess, I think the NVHR may be responsible for the improved load times. That mod is extremely easy to implement alone if you don't already have it.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'd argue Bethesda is a decent steward of the actual Fallout IP. For Fallout 3s flaws it got the tone and style right transitioning to a 3d game.

They just suck at making video games that are actually fun to play.

• Options
    That's why most agree New Vegas is the best Fallout - it got the vibe right but was most fun to play with an interesting story that wasnt black and white (well Cesar's Legion are obviously bad..). Still was a buggy mess though like most Obsidian stuff.

• Options
    People disliked Fallout 3? I found F3 and NV *immensely* fun to play...VATS was too addicting. Don't have much experience with Bethesda games otherwise (have only played Morrowind and Oblivion).

• Options
    edited April 21
    I liked New Vegas over Fallout 4 because it felt more like an actual RPG. Your character's skills, perks, and SPECIAL stats could frequently influence your interactions with other characters.

Whereas in Fallout 4 your interactions were limited to "Yes", "Sarcastic Yes", and "No", no matter where you put your points.

And your SPECIAL stats were basically just there to act as roadblocks to perks. They didn't actually do much on their own.

RT800 on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I’m hoping Starfield eventually gets the Cyberpunk treatment.

I think Starfields flaws are too fundamental for that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.