Options

All things [FALLOUT]

PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
I know we have the streaming thread but it was taking over and i thought it might be nice to have a dedicated thread.
LargeHero_FO76_P50AP_bnet_header.png?q=70&fm=png

IMDB For the Show
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12637874/

Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(series)

I'd like to have show talk in spoilers if it reveals any plot points please!
I just have one question from the show regarding one of the main characters.
so it explained how 200 years later these people know each other, Dad being cryo, Cooper being a ghoul, but what about Moldaver? Did i miss something? How is she still alive 200 years later?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    I know we have the streaming thread but it was taking over and i thought it might be nice to have a dedicated thread.

IMDB For the Show

Wiki

so it explained how 200 years later these people know each other, Dad being cryo, Cooper being a ghoul, but what about Moldaver? Did i miss something? How is she still alive 200 years later?

I would speculate that we're
    Not done with her as a character as neither of the Ghouls two pre-bomb storylines are resolved (How he ends up on the outs with Hollywood and how he gets from the party to presumably the vault to get his kiddo in). She obviously will play some part in the first storyline going forward.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 19

IMDB For the Show

Wiki

Yeah I wondered if she somehow
    talked herself onto the vault 31 guest list. She seems to know a ton of vault tec associated people and was an accomplished scientist who would be useful to keep around.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited April 19

IMDB For the Show

Wiki

talked herself onto the vault 31 guest list. She seems to know a ton of vault tec associated people and was an accomplished scientist who would be useful to keep around.

Vaults
    as seen in vault 111 from FO4 and vault 4 on the show, cryo pods were not exclusive to 31

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

IMDB For the Show

Wiki

Vaults
    as seen in vault 111, cryo pods were not exclusive to 31

Still gotta
    Escape the heat from whatever happens with her non communist communist meetings and get into a vault that isn't some executives version of the hunger games.

Personally I'm hoping she gets unfrozen and immediately topples the overseer and starts her crusade

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    My working theory
    with Coop and the initial nuke is that wasn't Vault-Tec, only because Barb wouldn't have dropped it while her daughter was outside. Based on what we can see, I'd assume Coop brought his daughter to Barb and they entered a vault but because he and Barb were divorced he was no longer eligible to enter or hadn't been allocated for. But that doesn't explain why he doesn't know where they are. I guess it could be something as simple as he took her to Barb who then travelled to the vault though I'd find it more visually interesting that he gave up and sat outside the vault entrance when he got blasted since it doesn't look like he's changed his main clothes since that day. I think given we met Lucy's mom and she was already gone, doing the same with Barb and the kid would be a retreat so I would guess he will actually find them though both will have been aged up.

For Moldaver it's gonna be cryo unless they decide to make her a synth since the high end models are indistinguishable from humans, you literally have to kill them to know for sure (But my hope is they don't introduce them because it will lead to some very cliche storytelling. The older distinguishable models are fine.

EDIT: Also Cooper's accent is massively amplified in the future and while it's plausible his accent changed over 200+ years it doesn't seem to be what they're going for, more like he's affecting an accent for his cowboy character.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I’m through episode seven and so far have really enjoyed the show. Goggins is the highlight but I’ve really enjoyed watching everyone’s stories unfold.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I really love the casting in this show. Everyone is interesting and identifiable, and just kind of suitably "weird" for the wasteland.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Amazon have confirmed it's getting a Season 2 today, not a huge surprise but nice to have confirmed early.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The show got me playing Fallout 4 again, and I'm once more reminded of everything I loved and hated about the settlement building system.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    The show got me playing Fallout 4 again, and I'm once more reminded of everything I loved and hated about the settlement building system.

Same but 4 was so janky I went to New Vegas instead

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Things I loved: Building a Tony Stark-like warehouse to store my power armor.

Things I hated: Everything else

• Options
    It's a fun idea, but implemented so horribly.

Floating buildings on uneven terrain. Trees, bushes, and mounds of trash that poke up through the floor.

It's excessively hard work to make anything look halfway decent.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Honestly I figured everything looking like trash was just in keeping with the fallout motif. Functional but ugly.

• Options
    That's the thing, though. A lot of the trash makes the place look non-functional.

Like, it's functional to have a rusty house made out of salvaged sheet metal because that's what you could find.

But it's not functional to also have a literal pile of dirt and bricks sitting in the middle of that house for no reason.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Look up the Sim Settlements 2 mod. It overhauls the settlement system and makes it more interesting, and adds its own main quest to the game.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Series spoiler stuff w/re to the games
    Spoilers
    Vault-Tec kicking off the apocalypse and then working behind the scenes to ensure that everyone remains on a “Crabs in a Bucket” mentality explains why everything is still shit in the wasteland.

It also got me wondering how many skeletons you see in the game are an actual result of the Great War or simply left overs from when Vault-Tec put their finger on the scale for the nth time. Also is the Enclave a part of VT, or are they actually fighting against VT? That extends to the Institute as well.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    That's the thing, though. A lot of the trash makes the place look non-functional.

Like, it's functional to have a rusty house made out of salvaged sheet metal because that's what you could find.

But it's not functional to also have a literal pile of dirt and bricks sitting in the middle of that house for no reason.

This just was a problem with bethesda fallouts in general. Not just in settlements but in areas intentionally designed by bethesda that people are supposedly living in.

Like ok, sure, you’re going to have sheet metal and hacked together stuff. You’re going to have that. Stuff like people living in containers and railroad cars. But no one is going to have trash and random stacks of paper and human skeletons hanging around in buildings they are actively using and living in. No one is going to have incomplete roofs and walls that let rain in in boston.

I feel like they could make decent looking functional salvage/wasteland buildings with even a bit of thought. Like maybe instead of gaping holes in the roof have holes covered up by tarps or animal skins. Instead of trash and papers on the floor have floors reinforced by road signs or with rotten floorboards cleared out and replaced with gravel, etc.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    Spoilers re: Havelock2.0's spoilers.
    Honestly it helped me resign to the world a lot because one of my big peeves about the games is...it's been over 200 years why are you building huts out of corrugated metal??? But Vault-Tec actively maintaining a world where their "we rebuild civilization our way in our time" plan is worked out makes a lot of sense, esp given the scale of their ownerwship and power before the Great War.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options

This just was a problem with bethesda fallouts in general.

Like ok, sure, you’re going to have sheet metal and hacked together stuff. You’re going to have. Stuff like people living in containers and railroad cars. But no one is going to have trash and random stacks of paper and human skeletons hanging around in buildings they are actively using and living in. No one is going to have incomplete roofs and walls that let rain in in boston.

I feel like they could make decent looking functional salvage/wasteland buildings with even a bit of thought. Like maybe instead of gaping holes in the roof have holes covered up by tarps or animal skins. Instead of trash and papers on the floor have floors reinforced by road signs or with rotten floorboards cleared out and replaced with gravel, etc.

One thing they did fix in Fallout 4 is showing where rubble etc. came from. Like, in Skyrim, you’d have a passage partially blocked by rubble, but the ceiling would be intact, like someone decided one day to just shove a bunch of rocks into a dungeon because they were bored. In FO4 you’d see actual holes where the ceilings/walls collapsed.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

yeah... not antidepressants and ADHD drugs in the wasteland.

spoons to care about keeping you hovel tiddy so the occasional trespasser doesn't think you're messy might be in short supply.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    Spoilers
    Vault-Tec kicking off the apocalypse and then working behind the scenes to ensure that everyone remains on a “Crabs in a Bucket” mentality explains why everything is still shit in the wasteland.

It also got me wondering how many skeletons you see in the game are an actual result of the Great War or simply left overs from when Vault-Tec put their finger on the scale for the nth time. Also is the Enclave a part of VT, or are they actually fighting against VT? That extends to the Institute as well.
    I desperately hope they don’t reveal Vault-Tec was behind the war. I think only the Zetans causing it all could be a worse fan theory to make canon. Having the end of the world be the final culmination of two nations perpetually escalating, refusing to accept the wound to their national pride that it would take to de-escalate, until the only escalation left was the end of everything, and those in charge finding that a more acceptable outcome than the bruising of their ego in turning back from Armageddon, that speaks to the human condition. “Don’t worry guys, regular governments won’t escalate things out of control for their own pride, it’s all just this small group of nasty scientists ruining everything” doesn’t.

Bethesda’s done a good job of coming up with explanations for why everything looks like the bombs dropped last week in their games, the Institute (can’t trust those damned scientists) sabotaging the Commonwealth government just before you get out of the Vault in 4 and the Scorched Plague killing off the first survivors just before you get out of the Vault in 76. Similarly they came up with lore to justify there being FEV all over the place even though the first game heavily implied it was unique to Mariposa base, and justify the Brotherhood of Steel turning up everywhere. They even came up with lore explaining why people are using bottle caps as currency in 76.

They have done a good job of justifying why everything is always the same in every part of the wasteland, and why nothing can ever get better. To me it just makes for so much more bland and hopeless a setting than it could be. Why does everyone decide to use bottle caps as currency, it was a novel concept in the first game with some clever lore to explain it, but by the second it had been phased out to the point a quest reward that would have been a king’s ransom in caps in the first game is a worthless joke. Tactics had them using pull tabs instead of caps, and of course 2 and New Vegas introduced actual currencies minted post war. In Bethesda’s Fallout there’s almost never anything new made in the world, just pre-war stuff we never noticed before. The T-60 power armour in Fallout 4 could have been justified as an upgrade the Brotherhood made to their T-45 suits using the technology they gathered from the Enclave in DC, but instead it’s a suit that seemingly saw widespread adoption everywhere except where every game before it was set. Similarly the Enclave’s power armour from Fallout 2 is retconned from a design that looks almost alien in how divergent it was from the pre-war power armour of the first game, a massively more advanced piece of equipment, to be a pre-war design. There are a few groups who seemingly are able to build new stuff, the Enclave and the Institute, I’m not sure what it says that only the “bad guys” have the intellect to make something new rather than sifting through centuries old trash for shinies.

Sorry, rather a protracted rambling post, I guess the TL;DR is they are good at coming up with lore to justify why things can never get better, but I’d rather they make lore showing what a world that is managing to put itself back together might look like.

LJDouglas on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    Spoilers

I desperately hope they don’t reveal Vault-Tec was behind the war. I think only the Zetans causing it all could be a worse fan theory to make canon. Having the end of the world be the final culmination of two nations perpetually escalating, refusing to accept the wound to their national pride that it would take to de-escalate, until the only escalation left was the end of everything, and those in charge finding that a more acceptable outcome than the bruising of their ego in turning back from Armageddon, that speaks to the human condition. “Don’t worry guys, regular governments won’t escalate things out of control for their own pride, it’s all just this small group of nasty scientists ruining everything” doesn’t.

Bethesda’s done a good job of coming up with explanations for why everything looks like the bombs dropped last week in their games, the Institute (can’t trust those damned scientists) sabotaging the Commonwealth government just before you get out of the Vault in 4 and the Scorched Plague killing off the first survivors just before you get out of the Vault in 76. Similarly they came up with lore to justify there being FEV all over the place even though the first game heavily implied it was unique to Mariposa base, and justify the Brotherhood of Steel turning up everywhere. They even came up with lore explaining why people are using bottle caps as currency in 76.

They have done a good job of justifying why everything is always the same in every part of the wasteland, and why nothing can ever get better. To me it just makes for so much more bland and hopeless a setting than it could be. Why does everyone decide to use bottle caps as currency, it was a novel concept in the first game with some clever lore to explain it, but by the second it had been phased out to the point a quest reward that would have been a king’s ransom in caps in the first game is a worthless joke. Tactics had them using pull tabs instead of caps, and of course 2 and New Vegas introduced actual currencies minted post war. In Bethesda’s Fallout there’s almost never anything new made in the world, just pre-war stuff we never noticed before. The T-60 power armour in Fallout 4 could have been justified as an upgrade the Brotherhood made to their T-45 suits using the technology they gathered from the Enclave in DC, but instead it’s a suit that seemingly saw widespread adoption everywhere except where every game before it was set. Similarly the Enclave’s power armour from Fallout 2 is retconned from a design that looks almost alien in how divergent it was from the pre-war power armour of the first game, a massively more advanced piece of equipment, to be a pre-war design. There are a few groups who seemingly are able to build new stuff, the Enclave and the Institute, I’m not sure what it says that only the “bad guys” have the intellect to make something new rather than sifting through centuries old trash for shinies.

Sorry, rather a protracted rambling post, I guess the TL;DR is they are good at coming up with lore to justify why things can never get better, but I’d rather they make lore showing what a world that is managing to put itself back together might look like.

In regards to your spoiler
    I want to see the places where vault-tec/enclave don’t have their thumbs on the scale. Show me europe, africa, the Middle East and Asia.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 19
    a
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    Spoilers

I dunno the setting being what it is I can completely see the Great War being caused by End Stage Hyper Capitalism and that the world being stuck in a perpetual fail state for 200+ years is not the survivors fault but a result of Terminal C-Suite Brains wanting to 100% their Win Condition at the expense of literally everyone else. I think it’s currently more realistic than two exhausted superpowers duking it out of pride. Communism collapses from the inside, Capitalism will light the world on fire if it makes the line go up. Vault-Tec didn’t launch the nukes but they lit the fuse because the bottom line demanded it.

Havelock2.0 on
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm glad there's at least one decent vault out there, even if it wasn't intended to be.

• Options
    edited April 19
    redx wrote: »

spoons to care about keeping you hovel tiddy so the occasional trespasser doesn't think you're messy might be in short supply.

There’s a big difference between lived in clutter and abandoned though.

Like Bethesda is huge on the abandoned aesthetic. And I’ve been in old abandoned houses and buildings before. You definitely do see trash, broken glass, broken windows, partially collapsed roofs, holes in the floor, etc. and that’s what most bethesda fallout areas look like, at least outside of areas built into pre-war facilities like diamond city or rivet city. Like you took an abandoned building and slapped a mattress in it and called it a day.

But people don’t usually live like that if they can help it. Yeah you have lived in clutter. Old mowers or shovels in the yard or kids toys that haven’t been used for a while, maybe dirty dishes or recent trash lying around, stuff like that.

But I don’t care how much of a raider or scav someone is, they don’t want to get rained on. They don’t want cold wind or animals coming in through broken windows. They don’t want broken glass on their floor that they will step on when they get out of bed without putting shoes on. They don’t want someone’s 200 year old corpse lying around in their house.

Fallout 4 especially seems really bad about this.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm glad there's at least one decent vault out there, even if it wasn't intended to be.

There was also at least one control vault that wasn’t running any sort of experiment(76).

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    Some people say it’s FO76 but the real worst fallout is actually
    uterine prolapse

Atomika on
  • Options
    76 when it was released was a garbage fire. I wouldn’t say it’s terrible now, I had a lot of fun with it, but it does feel more like a Fallout theme park than a proper Fallout game.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    uterine prolapse

Sandwich!! I trusted you!

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    76 was a buggy mess for so many people and it makes me so sad. I was lucky enough I hit basically no bugs or server issues, and it was legitimately the best Fallout experience I've played, in terms of exploration and worldbuilding. Like, I am terrified that Bethesda is going to learn all the wrong lessons from it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Like Bethesda is huge on the abandoned aesthetic. And I’ve been in old abandoned houses and buildings before. You definitely do see trash, broken glass, broken windows, partially collapsed roofs, holes in the floor, etc. and that’s what most bethesda fallout areas look like, at least outside of areas built into pre-war facilities like diamond city or rivet city. Like you took an abandoned building and slapped a mattress in it and called it a day.

But people don’t usually live like that if they can help it. Yeah you have lived in clutter. Old mowers or shovels in the yard or kids toys that haven’t been used for a while, maybe dirty dishes or recent trash lying around, stuff like that.

But I don’t care how much of a raider or scav someone is, they don’t want to get rained on. They don’t want cold wind or animals coming in through broken windows. They don’t want broken glass on their floor that they will step on when they get out of bed without putting shoes on. They don’t want someone’s 200 year old corpse lying around in their house.

Yeah, stuff like people living in buildings made from a bunch of crookedly-placed sheetmetal and sleeping on bloody nasty mattresses two hundred years after everything blew up is just... stupid. For one thing, crooked construction is hugely inefficient with materials and building things level is as easy as a weight on a string. A bedframe from raw timber is simple. Straw or leather mattresses are easy. Simply patching the rust holes in your roof or walls is easy. There should be cottage industry for all this stuff, including things like brick production which is ancient as shit and pretty easy when you've got portable fusion reactors than can run an oven.

Bare minimum, have some variety. Fine, the average solo homestead in the middle of nowhere is built from crap, but it would still be functional. Swept floors, entire doors, etc. In a town or village with actual resources, people should have new or scavenged materials meant for construction, not be living in the top floor of a half-wrecked apartment building with half the floor gone. It's a long-standing human tradition that if you need bricks and know where an abandoned structure is, go take those bricks and make a new place.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Spoilers re: Havelock2.0's spoilers.
    Honestly it helped me resign to the world a lot because one of my big peeves about the games is...it's been over 200 years why are you building huts out of corrugated metal??? But Vault-Tec actively maintaining a world where their "we rebuild civilization our way in our time" plan is worked out makes a lot of sense, esp given the scale of their ownerwship and power before the Great War.

I take it you've heard of Fallout: London?

It's a massive fan-made DLC set in the UK, exploring what happened before and after the bombs fell at the end of the resource wars. Unfortunately, it was due to come out on St George's Day (23rd April), 48 hours ahead of the next gen patch for Fallout 4, so it's been delayed until they can ensure it still works after that.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Yeah, stuff like people living in buildings made from a bunch of crookedly-placed sheetmetal and sleeping on bloody nasty mattresses two hundred years after everything blew up is just... stupid. For one thing, crooked construction is hugely inefficient with materials and building things level is as easy as a weight on a string. A bedframe from raw timber is simple. Straw or leather mattresses are easy. Simply patching the rust holes in your roof or walls is easy. There should be cottage industry for all this stuff, including things like brick production which is ancient as shit and pretty easy when you've got portable fusion reactors than can run an oven.

Bare minimum, have some variety. Fine, the average solo homestead in the middle of nowhere is built from crap, but it would still be functional. Swept floors, entire doors, etc. In a town or village with actual resources, people should have new or scavenged materials meant for construction, not be living in the top floor of a half-wrecked apartment building with half the floor gone. It's a long-standing human tradition that if you need bricks and know where an abandoned structure is, go take those bricks and make a new place.

I feel like the TV show was better about that than the games.
    The BoS airbase was pretty well maintained in the wide shots. Shady Sands' buildings and trolley looked brand new. The NCR HQ compound was a bit packed but it still had some trimmed grass out front, though to be fair Moldavers' office has a wall missing. Then again it is SoCal without AC, so just leaving it open to the breeze might have been deliberate since it still has a roof over the rest. Places like Filly had piles of junk, but that's to be expected for what is a scavenger's bazaar. The trader's shop looked a bit ramshackle but it wasn't caving in or had debris on the floors or anything. And they even had wood planks laid out as walkways between buildings so people don't need to walk through the mud if it rains.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The show completely removed all the debris and rubble. BoS' local base - police station? - in F4 had broken junk everywhere.

I think that was the right choice for the show, as it does seem unlikely people would leave that, certainly not where they're inhabiting.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    uterine prolapse

Fuck me.

I thought crotches sloughing off was bad enough.

So gang, if anyone else who's playing on Ps4 has crashes on launch, it's caused by the automatron DLC. Or also having Skyrim installed (for real).

If there's a fix announced for this I'd love to hear about it, or I'll post it myself I'd it comes up.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    uterine prolapse

Fuck me.

I thought crotches sloughing off was bad enough.

So gang, if anyone else who's playing on Ps4 has crashes on launch, it's caused by the automatron DLC. Or also having Skyrim installed (for real).

If there's a fix announced for this I'd love to hear about it, or I'll post it myself I'd it comes up.

I’m on pc and I get the same thing

• Options
    The crash not the other one

• Options
    If you have patch notes for either one though I'd love to hear it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I would hope that given its a multiplatform bug we might actually see a fix for it eventually.

Especially with the recent interest in Fallout from the telly.

Though if you've got the skinny on loose crotches, I'm sure that could be useful to our ghoul friends.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    edited April 20
    Moldaver
    In the credits for the last episode there's a billboard advertising cyropods at The Tops Hotel and Casino so she probably had a pod somewhere that wasn't Vault 31.

Also Vault 76 in FO76
    Was partially a control vault, it also had the mission of securing the nuclear silos in Appalachia under Vault-Tec control.

Hades on