Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

it’s so goddamn hot outside holy shit

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Iirc low humidity is like that? As in without water in the air as a buffer, it just swings as hard as it possibly can?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yup! It was a hell of a shock moving from the high plains to Oklahoma. Getting up at 4 AM to go to work and finding it was still hot and muggy outside was an absolute betrayal.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    Oregon is not built for this. Glad I have AC and fans so I won't completely melt into a puddle.
    NWS Portland

Here's a look at our daily high temperature forecast from July 4-10 to show what is most likely to occur during our upcoming heatwave. Although temperatures will most likely top out between 100-105 degrees over inland valleys, there is a 15-35% chance high temperatures will wind up reaching 110 degrees or warmer (worst case scenario). Either way, whether it's 100, 105, or 110, it will be HOT! This heatwave is also prolonged (at least 4 days straight, if not more) with poor overnight relief. Please check on your friends, family and neighbors during this heatwave if they do not have air conditioning. Those without air conditioning should at the very least have blinds to block out incoming sunlight & large fans to keep air circulating. You can even rest a damp towel over a box fan to help enhance the cooling effect.
    https://x.com/NWSPortland/status/1808264790437253580

Dirtyboy on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We're in the upper 80s today but it's not humid for once. It's still hot, but it's not making me melt so it's just kind of an oven outside. Could be a lot worse.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    How's Folsom doing?

trbn48624zsm.png

Lol.

*Looks at where he's at*

bv1pgkgmibk0.png

Lmao

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    It’s too goddamn hot

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    It’s too goddamn hot

I'm not sad to be missing the heat but it's fucking like 100% humidity here so it's a ton more draining.

Also at home i have central air which helps a lot.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It's about 90F here, with 60 % humidity, not great

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    94 with 40%, feels like 101 according to the app on my phone.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    i37cuu48joc4.png

Wheee!

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    it got cloudy and rainy here but no less hot, so now it’s steamy and gross and hopefully that will reduce the number of fireworkers.

KalTorak wrote: »
    it got cloudy and rainy here but no less hot, so now it’s steamy and gross and hopefully that will reduce the number of fireworkers.

Never underestimate idiots and explosives. There are people out there right now who are spending their final few hours with all 10 fingers.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom try The Substance it changed my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 5
    Another 5 days of 90+ degree days, and then Wednesday through Saturday it's "only" mid-80s (and then back in the 90s through the 19th, according to weather.com)

You'll never catch me complaining about October cold weather again. It simply won't ever happen

Sweeney Tom on
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    At least it’s only the mid-90s here not so bad… wait.. I’m sorry what was that? The humidity is what?
    v16osgnv5ckh.jpeg

Cool… cool…

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Going to be over 100f here for 5 days in the PNW, which is too damn hot for too damn long. The fire danger sign went up beginning of last week at low, and its jumped to high already.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I have a portable AC, the type with a hose to the window. At the end of last summer the hose broke, so I ordered a replacement, but the connector to the unit wasn't the right size. No worries says I, I'll just half ass tape it on and it will be good enough.

So I come home yesterday to find the "good enough" tape decided to quits and the hose fell off the back, so now I had the 100 degree outside air coming in the hose while the AC unit dutifully shoots cold air out the front while helpfully venting the equicalent hot air out the back, plus mechanical inefficiency! I walked in to a 100 degree living room, not great!

Fortunately the bedroom was "only" 85 and I retaped with enough duct tape to, uh, do a large amount of taping, so hopefully there won't be a repeat today and it will be 80 at worst when I get back. But fuck, y'all, "escaping" from just 98 degree outside temps and walking into a 100 degree room is very not recommended

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Going back to the UK where apparently we just aren't having a summer this year

It's been high 80s all week in Minnesota so I am extremely ready

It's currently 90F outside, and 81F inside here at my cubicle

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

:fearful:

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
    alright weather show me whatcha got

al5vfvwv45se.png

well shit

:fearful:

Yeah the AC doesn't work, techs work on it weekly

I think I have one of the only air conditioned spots in the school. Everywhere else is like 80 in here, but the thermostat is at a steady 71 and I'm fine.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Going back to the UK where apparently we just aren't having a summer this year

It's been high 80s all week in Minnesota so I am extremely ready

Balderdash. We had a good two days of summer week before last.

Not to be insouciant about it, but i wonder how many people in Europe are going to be killed by the heat this year and moving forward. Even aside from the cost of installing AC systems, even just window units, can the electricity grid of the various countries even handle the extra power? Don't get me wrong, i am sure people here in the US are going to die as well, but at least AC is fairly standard here. In my state landlords are not required to provide AC, just heat.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Home today recovering from heat exhaustion because my work truck yesterday had broken AC. The outside temp "only" got up to 92F.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the AC at my gym was broken today. I can't say I'm surprised, it's such a large open space and some days the outside temp hasn't dipped below 80 at any point at night, it must have been working hard nonstop.

It wasn't horrendous inside (probably around 80ish), but I feel bad for anyone who has to work in a non-AC environment.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i’m moving heavy boxes in a no-AC environment today

it sucks actually

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Not to be insouciant about it, but i wonder how many people in Europe are going to be killed by the heat this year and moving forward. Even aside from the cost of installing AC systems, even just window units, can the electricity grid of the various countries even handle the extra power? Don't get me wrong, i am sure people here in the US are going to die as well, but at least AC is fairly standard here. In my state landlords are not required to provide AC, just heat.

A lot.

The power grid isn't the issue - there's enough renewable sources and the new government just unbanned onshore wind and the subsequent grid connections to fill in any gaps. The problem is that when the climate gets hotter our houses will be designed to make us miserable.

At least here in the UK we live in houses that are built to trap and hold heat. Big picture windows to get what little heat from the sun we can manage, brick walls with an air cavity between, tiled roofs, thick insulation mandatory (it was something like 180mm minimum when I converted our loft into my office and it's gone up since then) and all the time there's government grants to get your walls and roof insulated to keep the heat in.

Central air just isn't a thing for housing and only exists in the larger supermarkets and some pubs. Mostly, people have the portable units with the hoses to keep one room cool but window units aren't a thing.

I've got a mini-split system here in the loft because when it hits 20C outside unless I've closed all the thermal blinds the day before, had the skylights open a crack and run a fan to blast any of the hot air that collects it's going to be at least 25C up here. And you can't really have the skylights open on days like today where it's 20C outside but also pouring with rain. Either way during the past few heatwaves we've all taken to sleeping in here and it's a nice respite but we are well and truly in the minority.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Our house is pretty good at staying cool, downstairs at least. So I guess live in a 300 year old stone house is my advice.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    This heat sucks so bad I'm actually happy to go into the office to work.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    me and my husband's bedroom stays about 10-15 degrees hotter than the rest of our house so it's been consistently about 80 degrees in here, or more, depending. yesterday the thermostat in the living room said 80 in the house, even with our ancient AC running

My AC system is undersized for our trailer so it runs all day and most of the night and it still stays in the upper 70s most of the summer inside. We have a window unit for the living room to help out but our power bill is just insane. And it is only going to get worse.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Our house is pretty good at staying cool, downstairs at least. So I guess live in a 300 year old stone house is my advice.

Ours is a 150 year old Georgian house so we're the same -- downstairs never really heats up so on hot days you get to the front door in a hoodie thinking it's cool and open the door to a furnace.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom try The Substance it changed my lifeRegistered User regular
    If work insists on not having the AC on even briefly, I may have to have words. Shit will be unmanageable the next two months if so

Tomorrow rain's estimated/forecast for three hours and then back to dry for at least another full week, ugh

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Just finished blowing new insulation in my attic

Might die

Old horsehair plaster is also good for this! Not so great in the winter though.

Might die

What kind did you use? I have heard lots of talk about the recycled paper or something like that but don't know anyone who has ever actually done it.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

Might die

What kind did you use? I have heard lots of talk about the recycled paper or something like that but don't know anyone who has ever actually done it.

I did fiberglass because that's what was already up there (I was covering some low spots and doing the garage).

I've used the recycled cellulose stuff and it's very effective, but I don't like it because if you have a leak, it molds like a motherfucker.

When we build our new house, I'll be doing spray foam insulation. It's more expensive but it blows the other stuff out of the water in performance. It's hard to do on a remodel or pre built though

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Spent last week in Wisconsin visiting family, and it got so chilly at one point we needed to buy sweaters for the kids.
    I step outside for even 5 minutes back here in NY, and I am drenched in sweat. This heat is insane

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing

Might die

I did fiberglass because that's what was already up there (I was covering some low spots and doing the garage).

I've used the recycled cellulose stuff and it's very effective, but I don't like it because if you have a leak, it molds like a motherfucker.

When we build our new house, I'll be doing spray foam insulation. It's more expensive but it blows the other stuff out of the water in performance. It's hard to do on a remodel or pre built though

It also means future modification is a pain in the ass. If you blow in cellulose, fishing a wire is no big deal. With spray foam you have to cut open the wall, rip out a bunch of the spray foam, and repair the sheetrock after.

Just, you know... make sure you have all the wires and smurf tubes installed already that you'll ever need.