As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest videogame movie? DIABLO.

core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=428216

Oh woe is my childhood! How can they even make a movie out of it? I suppose if they merged the story of the first and second games, they'd have something, but if it's just the first one, there's really nothing there. I just don't see how a hack-and-slash game could translate well into a movie. (Dungeon Seige, lol)

So, more game-movie madness.

6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
core tactic on

• NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OP is silly because he assumes the story of the movie will actually resemble the game's story even remotely. Ha ha, silly goose, of course Hollywood is going to kill the essence of the games, have sex with the remains, set them on fire, chuck them in a blender and voila: A videogame movie is born!

Noray on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    OP is silly because he assumes the story of the movie will actually resemble the game's story even remotely. Ha ha, silly goose, of course Hollywood is going to kill the essence of the games, have sex with the remains, set them on fire, chuck them in a blender and voila: A videogame movie is born!

Diablo to be played by Robin Williams! :D

Jim Carey to play Baal

core tactic on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As long as their are no trapsins camping town. God damn assholes.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    Noray wrote: »

You'd prefer it if they stuck to the three sentences of plot that Diablo has? Hell, the little flavor manuals of Diablo have more plot in 'em than the game does.

Aroduc on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, Legendary proved they can stay quite faithful to the source material with 300, maybe Diablo will actually be quite good. Here's hoping the Warcraft movie is good too, they have alot of potential, and Legendary kicks ass, but I dunno.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    From the sound of the article, it'll probably just be 300 with demons. Same company, after all. Two hours of angry men yelling and killing each other for reasons that weren't fully explained.

I like my storylines and all, but I can get behind a movie that exists for pure, undiluted violence every now and then.

Edit: What's the most recent word on the Warcraft movie, anyway? I haven't heard boo from Blizzard or anybody since they posted it on the WoW homepage last year. Was that Legendary Pictures, too?

Hevach on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lies!

Diablo had a great plot. 90% of it was in the manual, but still.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All characters replaced with CG penguins with celebrity voice actors. Movie now takes place wherever penguins live. Diablo is a polar bear.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    RAKANISHU!

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I suppose two hours of killing demons interspersed with the heroes slowly figuring out they're fighting the personal army of one of the Prime Evils could possibly be decent. Especially if they keep the twist ending.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, will there be a cow level after the credits?

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have no expectations. It's easier and less painfull this way.

Edit* OK, one expectation, Cow Level!

Porphyria Plan on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    NEKKID SORCERESS

I mean, uh, yes. This could be decent.

Dondums on
    internet
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I fully endorse a cgi-enhanced Butcher.

Aarrgh..Fresh meat!

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why can't they just do a full 2 hours movie based on those awesome ingame videos?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why can't they just do a full 2 hours movie based on those awesome ingame videos?
    That'd be kind of a stretch since both the intro and ending barely reaches the 5 minute mark. I'd rather see them use the great background stuff from the manual instead.

EDIT: What was the Dungeon Siege movie called? For the King or something, right?

Silpheed on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As long as Uwe Boll stays away from it, I won't completely write it off.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Diablo would make a rather good action/gore flick. The story is basic, but its still a good story (guy leaves and comes back to find his home town in ruins and tries to save it). I really see this being another 300 but with a different style, and I see nothing wrong with that.

And if they get rid of that excellent blend of slow/fast motion I will kill something. Probably more demons.

Veevee on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    From the sound of the article, it'll probably just be 300 with demons. Same company, after all. Two hours of angry men yelling and killing each other for reasons that weren't fully explained.

Okay, right. Since all of Legendary's films are the same. Lady in the water? Batman Begins? Totally the same as 300. This must be the same, too.

And I'm not really what you mean by "reasons that weren't fully explained", it was a battle in a war. You know, in real life.

Monoxide on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The first thing to come to my mind when I read the topic title was: "Blizzard's CGI guys doing a movie!?", but then... well. I would love to see such a thing
    Silpheed wrote: »
    EDIT: What was the Dungeon Siege movie called? For the King or something, right?

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can just imagine some guy standing up in the middle of the movie and going, "Hey, wait, I lost track. Why is there lava under the church?"

And then everyone in the movie theater will come to the realization that they have no clue either, but really don't care as the Sorcerer has just made a wall of flame that's incinerating dozens of lesser demons.

core tactic on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Drovek wrote: »
    The first thing to come to my mind when I read the topic title was: "Blizzard's CGI guys doing a movie!?", but then... well. I would love to see such a thing
    Silpheed wrote: »

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale

I was going to make the comment that the last time a game studio's CGI team made a movie, Enix bought Square, but then I remembered that the last time is now Advent Children, which as far as I know did fine.

Okay, trying again. The last time that a game studio made a movie that wasn't directly connected to an insanely popular game...

Dammit. Okay, go ahead and make a CGI movie, Blizzard.

jothki on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick
    clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick

For two and a half hours.

Bloods End on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    And I'm not really what you mean by "reasons that weren't fully explained", it was a battle in a war. You know, in real life.

Well, to be fair, the real Battle of Thermopoly (I'm not even trying to spell it right) went down considerably differently than the 300 version.

Speed Racer on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

And I'd watch it again, but this time on Hell difficulty

Veevee on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Well, to be fair, the real Battle of Thermopoly (I'm not even trying to spell it right) went down considerably differently than the 300 version.

Thermopylae - you almost had it! ;-)

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Oh shi... what comes next!?!?

urahonky on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I'd bring a mouse to the theater

just so I can click it for two hours straight.

Garthor on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You could probably make a damn good movie out of the backstory, IE: How Diablo and his brothers ended up trapped in the stones.

Last Son on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    From that moment, we traveled together east.

Always... into the east.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    this will be the greatest movie ever. I think.

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    *Step out of the portal and into the endless space with reasonless platforms*

One could get lost in here ...

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the hall of the blind would be a sweet thing to put in there.

HUGE BLOATED MUSHREWM!

Drakmathus on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A Diablo movie staying absolutely true to the source material would be worse than a Uwe Boll-written and directed monstrosity. I cannot think of anything worse than a movie that features some guy running into a dungeon, running back to town to sell stuff, running deeper into the dungeon, running back into town to sell stuff, running even deeper into...

Well you get the idea. That would not make a successful film. Or a good one.

What would be good, though, would be a dark, serious horror flick akin to the Dungeons & Dragons movie, but with less color, good actors, and good followthrough. As far as I'm concerned, aside from ambience, the basic premise is good. Diablo comes up from hell and starts fucking around underground and some adventurer(s) need to go in and wack him. As long as they keep Diablo himself, it'll be decent.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You haven't failed old man. You've done exactly as you were meant to do. However, I am not the archangel Tyrael

Baal? No, no no nooo

That'd make an awesome movie. The Diablo 2 plot was better than the original. Due to the fact it, you know, had one.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Diablo 2's plot, though, lends a lot to having played or at least having been familiar with the first one. The notion that you are going to...
    Fight the hero of the first game that became Diablo

...is really what sold the story for me. Everything else was less important, though it was interesting.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    secret cow level?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well they could go the cheesey route and have a half minute montage explaining the events of the first game, with a James Earl Jonesesque voiceover.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There is SO much fluff to the Diablo world that I don't even know about.
    The Prime Evils? Yeah, I got them. Tyreal and co.? Yeah, got them too.

The miscellaneous orders and groups the various classes come from? Nope. Fucking clueless.

Dondums on
    internet
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    A Diablo movie staying absolutely true to the source material would be worse than a Uwe Boll-written and directed monstrosity. I cannot think of anything worse than a movie that features some guy running into a dungeon, running back to town to sell stuff, running deeper into the dungeon, running back into town to sell stuff, running even deeper into...

Well you get the idea. That would not make a successful film. Or a good one.

What would be good, though, would be a dark, serious horror flick akin to the Dungeons & Dragons movie, but with less color, good actors, and good followthrough. As far as I'm concerned, aside from ambience, the basic premise is good. Diablo comes up from hell and starts fucking around underground and some adventurer(s) need to go in and wack him. As long as they keep Diablo himself, it'll be decent.
    Are we thinking of the same Dungeons and Dragons movie?

dnd-movieposter.jpg

Is there another one?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork