Technomancer Press Open Duel 2007

24

Posts

  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Do characters receive the extra 3 ability points from achieving levels 4, 8, and 12?

    Yes.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some spells and domains were updated in Spell Compendium, and are now considered the "proper" version, previous printings in PHB etc. being overruled. Although SpC is not on the list of allowed sources for race/class, can we still choose spells from it? Can we use the updated versions of spells from the PHB etc.? What if we bring a photocopy of the appropriate page from SpC?

    edit: Also, what books are we allowed to pull polymorph and wildshape forms from?

    HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    HotSake wrote: »
    Some spells and domains were updated in Spell Compendium, and are now considered the "proper" version, previous printings in PHB etc. being overruled. Although SpC is not on the list of allowed sources for race/class, can we still choose spells from it? Can we use the updated versions of spells from the PHB etc.? What if we bring a photocopy of the appropriate page from SpC?

    edit: Also, what books are we allowed to pull polymorph and wildshape forms from?

    You can use the Spell Compendium, however, since many people are still playing with the PHB and not the Spell Compendium, they can use the PHB versions of spells. If you want to use the Spell Compendium, you need to use its version of spells all the time (i.e. you can't cast a SpC spell and later a PHB version of that spell...it is SpC all the time). You can use only the Monster Manual for wildshape and polymorph. I will update the rules accordingly.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • TheOOBTheOOB Registered User
    edited July 2007
    A quick question, what is the purpose of implementing fumble rules into the tourny, it seems to oppose the stated philosophy of the duel. The battles are supposed to be a test of the players ability to build a good character and think tactically, but adding an extra random factor makes the battle based more on luck and less on skill/tactics. The problum is compounded by the fact that the duels are implementing rules to keep the duration short (a good thing, I played (and won) the lv 20 open tourny in '05 and spent 2 hours on a single battle), the chance of the new rule coming up is slim, and if it does come up it's likely to only happen once to one player, giving the other player a greater advantage. D&D allready penelizes you for natural 1s.

    On another note, how are spells that rely heavily on DM fiat (such as lesser planer binding) going to be handled. What about spells noted for their vast overpoweredness (such as polymorph or celerity). On that note, what books are we going to have access to for feats, spells, magic items, ect, you only mention books for races/classes.

    TheOOB on
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User
    edited July 2007
    HotSake wrote: »
    Some spells and domains were updated in Spell Compendium, and are now considered the "proper" version, previous printings in PHB etc. being overruled. Although SpC is not on the list of allowed sources for race/class, can we still choose spells from it? Can we use the updated versions of spells from the PHB etc.? What if we bring a photocopy of the appropriate page from SpC?

    edit: Also, what books are we allowed to pull polymorph and wildshape forms from?

    You can use the Spell Compendium, however, since many people are still playing with the PHB and not the Spell Compendium, they can use the PHB versions of spells. If you want to use the Spell Compendium, you need to use its version of spells all the time (i.e. you can't cast a SpC spell and later a PHB version of that spell...it is SpC all the time). You can use only the Monster Manual for wildshape and polymorph. I will update the rules accordingly.

    --Tony

    Doesn't this just confuse the issue. I mean many spells changed in the Compendium from when they appeared in the Complete Series, both in level and in substance. Personally I think if you are going to let in the Compendium you would need to limit the spells to being from either the PHB or the Compendium but not fromt the complete or races books. However if you think that not enough people have the Compendium then just don't let it in. But having players go against each other with the same spells having different effects and levels seems to be inviting chaos.

    TheProphetElijah on
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    HotSake wrote: »
    Some spells and domains were updated in Spell Compendium, and are now considered the "proper" version, previous printings in PHB etc. being overruled. Although SpC is not on the list of allowed sources for race/class, can we still choose spells from it? Can we use the updated versions of spells from the PHB etc.? What if we bring a photocopy of the appropriate page from SpC?

    edit: Also, what books are we allowed to pull polymorph and wildshape forms from?

    You can use the Spell Compendium, however, since many people are still playing with the PHB and not the Spell Compendium, they can use the PHB versions of spells. If you want to use the Spell Compendium, you need to use its version of spells all the time (i.e. you can't cast a SpC spell and later a PHB version of that spell...it is SpC all the time). You can use only the Monster Manual for wildshape and polymorph. I will update the rules accordingly.

    --Tony

    Doesn't this just confuse the issue. I mean many spells changed in the Compendium from when they appeared in the Complete Series, both in level and in substance. Personally I think if you are going to let in the Compendium you would need to limit the spells to being from either the PHB or the Compendium but not fromt the complete or races books. However if you think that not enough people have the Compendium then just don't let it in. But having players go against each other with the same spells having different effects and levels seems to be inviting chaos.

    How does it invite chaos? You run your spells out of your book your way, and your opponent will run his spells out of his book his way. That's simple. You go one way or the other at the outset, and then it is set. Not difficult.

    Last year we allowed the old class books (Tome and Blood, etc.) as well as the new ones (The Complete Warrior, etc.), which meant you could have different versions of the same class running around, and it went just fine.

    It isn't good practice to disallow something simply because it is new, and frankly, I don't know how much of the D&D playing population has upgraded. But I also don't want to alienate the players that aren't using it.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    TheOOB wrote: »
    A quick question, what is the purpose of implementing fumble rules into the tourny, it seems to oppose the stated philosophy of the duel. The battles are supposed to be a test of the players ability to build a good character and think tactically, but adding an extra random factor makes the battle based more on luck and less on skill/tactics. The problum is compounded by the fact that the duels are implementing rules to keep the duration short (a good thing, I played (and won) the lv 20 open tourny in '05 and spent 2 hours on a single battle), the chance of the new rule coming up is slim, and if it does come up it's likely to only happen once to one player, giving the other player a greater advantage. D&D allready penelizes you for natural 1s.

    Adding critical hit and fumble rules does not significantly skew the tournament towards luck, in my opinion, any more than rolling 12 dice for fireball damage does. You could roll a 12 or a 72...and which one you roll is randomly decided.

    We have critical hit and fumble rules because the players like them. They cheer on a 20, and on a 1 (except it's the opponent cheering). They like the power and prowess of knowing they laid their opponent down with a masterful stroke. They like seeing their opponents trip and sit on their sword. It is part of the "epic" nature of combat.

    TheOOB wrote: »
    On another note, how are spells that rely heavily on DM fiat (such as lesser planer binding) going to be handled. What about spells noted for their vast overpoweredness (such as polymorph or celerity). On that note, what books are we going to have access to for feats, spells, magic items, ect, you only mention books for races/classes.

    Feats was already addressed in the rules. Everything else you have mentioned is now addressed as well. To sum up: You can use the RACES and CLASSES books for everything you mentioned. Polymorph and Celerity are banned. If you want to know why, see this commentary by WotC R&D.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would suggest random terrain. Instead of having your stereotypical 100' radius circular arena, I would suggest ten (or more) pregenerated maps randomly determined by draw out of a hat or a dice roll or whatever.

    Perhaps these maps could portray a theme, such as different planes of existence, or major geographical and engineering sites in and around Seattle. But they should be predrawn in permanent marker on battlemats (I would suggest the 24"x24"; there are only two players after all).

    Heck, perhaps the maps come with props and powerups as well, like a map in Hades having some sort of derelict tank lying around with a one-shot cannon that may or may not work (or may explode).

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    delroland wrote: »
    I would suggest random terrain. Instead of having your stereotypical 100' radius circular arena, I would suggest ten (or more) pregenerated maps randomly determined by draw out of a hat or a dice roll or whatever.

    That's how we did it last year.
    delroland wrote: »
    Perhaps these maps could portray a theme, such as different planes of existence, or major geographical and engineering sites in and around Seattle. But they should be predrawn in permanent marker on battlemats (I would suggest the 24"x24"; there are only two players after all).

    Permanent marker on battlemats is expensive. We bring preprinted paper mats.
    delroland wrote: »
    Heck, perhaps the maps come with props and powerups as well, like a map in Hades having some sort of derelict tank lying around with a one-shot cannon that may or may not work (or may explode).

    You never know...

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • sarusamasarusama Registered User
    edited July 2007
    I looked around and could'nt find any info on how the matches would be structured. It says how duels are structured but not the matches. btw this sounds like an awesome event I'm definetly gonna be there.

    sarusama on
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User
    edited July 2007
    What are the rules on multi-classing? Will a player take a XP penalty for multi-classing, and could that penalty potentially drop them down a level?

    TheProphetElijah on
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Multi-classing is a term from first and second editions. In 3E and 3.5E, you can take as many classes you want, as the leveling system is class independent. However, what you may be referring to is race favored classes. Yes, you need to roll up your character with the allotted experience points. If you have multiple classes and one of them is not a favored class, you take the penalty.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • sarusamasarusama Registered User
    edited July 2007
    O nm apparently I'm just stupid :P.

    sarusama on
  • JohJoh Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Does the limit on one item of a type include crafted Items? Say I really wanted 2 Rods, and took the requisite item creation feat, and spent the XP, could I have 2?

    Joh on
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Joh wrote: »
    Does the limit on one item of a type include crafted Items? Say I really wanted 2 Rods, and took the requisite item creation feat, and spent the XP, could I have 2?

    A rod is a rod, and you can only have one, no matter where it comes from.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • JohJoh Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Joh wrote: »
    Does the limit on one item of a type include crafted Items? Say I really wanted 2 Rods, and took the requisite item creation feat, and spent the XP, could I have 2?

    A rod is a rod, and you can only have one, no matter where it comes from.

    --Tony

    Wow, thanks for the quick response. I just noticed that the Spell Compendium isn't on the list of allowed books anyways, so my idea wouldn't have been viable anyways. I'm looking forward to your event!

    Joh on
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Actually, I need to add the Spell Compendium to the list. Thanks for reminding me.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • JohJoh Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Dah! Well I suppose that's a good thing. Now I just have to do a little retooling :P

    Joh on
  • ZoomzeminZoomzemin Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Just one qustion for now.
    In the races book list you have the DMG listed, Do you mean that we can pick from the races with Level Adjustments that appear in the monster manuel?, If not why is it on the list?.
    thanks

    Zoomzemin on
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Zoomzemin wrote: »
    Just one qustion for now.
    In the races book list you have the DMG listed, Do you mean that we can pick from the races with Level Adjustments that appear in the monster manuel?, If not why is it on the list?.
    thanks

    Typo...now fixed. Thanks.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Hey Tony, just to clarify something. On the rules page you added this:

    “The Spell Compendium is allowed for spells, but players electing to cast from the Spell Compendium must use it for all spells. This means you may not cast a "Player's Handbook version" of one spell and a "Spell Compendium version" of another spell.”

    However the Spell Compendium did not update any of the spells from the Players Handbook (thank god). It did however update spells from the Complete and Races Books.

    TheProphetElijah on
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Hey Tony, just to clarify something. On the rules page you added this:

    “The Spell Compendium is allowed for spells, but players electing to cast from the Spell Compendium must use it for all spells. This means you may not cast a "Player's Handbook version" of one spell and a "Spell Compendium version" of another spell.”

    However the Spell Compendium did not update any of the spells from the Players Handbook (thank god). It did however update spells from the Complete and Races Books.

    I don't own the book, so that makes it hard. :) It is now fixed.

    I hope.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • e_clipse_clips Registered User
    edited July 2007
    ok two things...
    1: where do I go to send in my char sheet to get it approved before pax.
    2: do I consider gauntlets a weapon for a monk character ( gauntlets are listed under weapons in phb )
    or should I consider this item a misc magic item. Don't want to get my char disqualified because I was considering this item a weapon purchase

    e_clips on
    Baron+Etori.png
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited July 2007
    e_clips wrote: »
    ok two things...
    1: where do I go to send in my char sheet to get it approved before pax.

    Zip it and email it to me at ceo at technomancer-press dot com.
    e_clips wrote: »
    2: do I consider gauntlets a weapon for a monk character ( gauntlets are listed under weapons in phb )
    or should I consider this item a misc magic item. Don't want to get my char disqualified because I was considering this item a weapon purchase

    Look at the heading of the table it is listed in. If it is in a Miscellaneous Magic Items table, it is a miscellaneous magic item. If it is in a weapons table, it is a weapon.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • e_clipse_clips Registered User
    edited August 2007
    ok that answers question 1... I'll pass that on to the group I play with (4 out of 6 members are planning on entering) The problem with the second question is the item is a relic "gauntlet of the talon" (complete divine) Looking at most items on the list 40+ items are either clearly a weapon or armor with a few misc items thrown in. If relics are not alowed then that is a clear answer but I didnt see anything one way or the other to rule them out. I figured they would just be considered by what they are.

    e_clips on
    Baron+Etori.png
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited August 2007
    e_clips wrote: »
    ok that answers question 1... I'll pass that on to the group I play with (4 out of 6 members are planning on entering) The problem with the second question is the item is a relic "gauntlet of the talon" (complete divine) Looking at most items on the list 40+ items are either clearly a weapon or armor with a few misc items thrown in. If relics are not alowed then that is a clear answer but I didnt see anything one way or the other to rule them out. I figured they would just be considered by what they are.

    No relics. Rules have been updated.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • e_clipse_clips Registered User
    edited August 2007
    well that answers that.... just have more money to spend on weapons and potions :P

    e_clips on
    Baron+Etori.png
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Will prepared casters be allowed to change their spells between rounds? How much info will they have to go on when doing so? Knowledge of their opponent? Knowledge of the terrain? Or will they have to do it blind?

    HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • GodOfCheeseGodOfCheese Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Rules mighta covered this, but I didn't see it, so here goes:

    What are the prizes this year? :D

    GodOfCheese on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    Behold the power of cheese.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited August 2007
    HotSake wrote: »
    Will prepared casters be allowed to change their spells between rounds? ?

    Yes.
    HotSake wrote: »
    How much info will they have to go on when doing so? Knowledge of their opponent? Knowledge of the terrain? Or will they have to do it blind?

    You'll know what you see in front of you. Terrain is variable and may change every round. You will not necessarily know what the terrain will be until you walk in and see it.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I mean, when we're deciding what spells to have prepared for the upcoming round, will we know anything about our opponent's character, or will we be have to prepare spells without that knowledge?

    HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited August 2007
    HotSake wrote: »
    I mean, when we're deciding what spells to have prepared for the upcoming round, will we know anything about our opponent's character, or will we be have to prepare spells without that knowledge?

    You will not meet your opponent before stepping into the ring. So the answer to your question is "without that knowledge."

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Question about "Anyspell" from the Spell Domain. It's a 15 minute casting time spell that replaces itself with a lower level Sor/Wiz spell, leaving that spell prepared in its place. Obviously, this is meant to be done in the morning as part of your spell preparation. Are you going to count that as precasting a spell before the duel? It leaves no magical effect on you, so it's not like you're entering the arena with a buff. It's just a method of preparing a different spell than you'd normally have access to, at the cost of a higher slot.

    edit: You know what? Never mind. I just reread the rules, and this is ok. It's only entering the arena under a magical effect that's disallowed.

    HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • seabladeseablade Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Question:

    What happens if I die, but have a reliable way to come back to life whenever I choose to and am by no means "out of contention" as it were?

    seablade on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PM'ing you with two character build synopses that are kind of rules bending, please let me know if they are legit and how they will be handled in the competition.

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited August 2007
    seablade wrote: »
    Question:

    What happens if I die, but have a reliable way to come back to life whenever I choose to and am by no means "out of contention" as it were?

    You'd better PM me with details. What you are describing here is too vague for me to issue a ruling.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • PrismPrism Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    I'm looking through the rules and I can't find it.

    Polymorph is banned (among other things). Does this include base classes' abilities resembling polymorph? Specifically I want to know if Wild Shape is legal, and if so, what books (I assume just the MM).

    I ask because although Wild Shape is not explicitly banned, the PHB says 'This ability functions like the polymorph spell, except as noted here'.

    -Prism

    Edit: I note that Wild Shape has been changed, in errata, to work without reference to polymorph and as such I assume it is business as usual.

    Prism on
  • GodOfCheeseGodOfCheese Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Are the Planar Ally spells allowed? I got the impression they were restricted for some reason, but didn't see it in the rules.

    GodOfCheese on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    Behold the power of cheese.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GodOfCheeseGodOfCheese Registered User
    edited August 2007
    All magic items function as if created by a 12th level caster. Examples: a wand of magic missiles will shoot magic missiles as if cast by a 12th level caster, scrolls may only contain spells castable by 12th level casters, no metamagic wands (CL 17) are permitted, et cetera.

    I assume this means that thou shalt not have any item with CL>12. However, can there be items of lower than 12 Caster Level in the game? Are all items assumed to be CL 12? Example: if I buy a potion of Fireball, does it automatically have CL12 and/or how much does the item cost? Does it cost as if I bought it for CL12, or does it cost as if I bought it for CL5?

    Just want to clarify the common-sense portion of the rule or confirm it so I can sploit. ;)

    GodOfCheese on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    Behold the power of cheese.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Are the Planar Ally spells allowed? I got the impression they were restricted for some reason, but didn't see it in the rules.

    This is a good question for the duel judge, which I'm getting up to speed now. He'll get back to us on that.

    --Tony

    Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

    Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
This discussion has been closed.