Options

Let's talk about wrestling

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Every place that has the story has all the same info with occasionally different comments which mostly say "Chris would never, ever do something like that."

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BEFORE he went to his family, he heard they were throwing up blood or something, so they might of died of natural causes and he killed himself out of grief.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I suppose the only other option -- presuming you accept the fox affiliate story -- is that his wife killed herself and the kid, Benoit came home and discovered it, then killed himself. I don't buy that at all, though. Both options are insane, but Benoit, being the beaten up, roided up guy that he is is probably the likely suspect. You've also got the odd 'Benoit sent curious text messages' story on WWE.com and the stuff about the Wiki edit... Bizarre stuff.
    BEFORE he went to his family, he heard they were throwing up blood or something, so they might of died of natural causes and he killed himself out of grief.

I wish. He has two other kids, why would he do such a thing, especially if you believe he's the man his friends and family describe him to be? And the blood thing hasn't been reported anywhere except on message boards. The police say they've found the 'instruments of death' or whatever. It's looking likely that Benoit did this.

Hazz on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wonder what the hell these "instruments of death" are.

I hope the deaths were accidental, and not intentional.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the cops keep saying, "bizarre circumstances"...

Honestly, I don't know what to think. When I used to watch wrestling, Benoit was awesome. When I stopped, I still really only liked Benoit. he wasnt flashy and he made it feel "real".

Now he's a murderer. What am I supposed to think of him?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just curious from the OP... What do UFC and WWE have to do with each other? UFC is a serious sport while WWE is just a male soap opera and completely fake.

Kin33 on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There is a very real possibility that a man I loved and respected for years has murdered his wife and his son and then taken his own life.

I wonder if this is what going mad feels like?

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You think you're going mad? Imagine what his two remaining kids must be feeling. Well... No, we can't really.

Hazz on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is embarrassing.

(I can't really come up with anything more elaborate without being incredibly insulting. Get some perspective.)

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll believe it only once it's official.

I don't think it's "roid rage" related, as someone said. I gues you can't be sure but he didn't seem like the type of person, or have the type of body normally attributed to steroid use.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay, so. The timetable of events apparently according to the GBI (George Bureau Of Investigations, yes, I was shocked to learn they exist too.)

- Chris Beniot gets called home for a family emergency. It turns out the blood spitting stuff was bullshit and his wife actually killed their son by suffocating him with a garbage bag.

- In a fit of rage, Beniot takes the cord to their alarm clock and strangles his wife.

- Beniot writes a suicide note apologizing to his friends, other children, and fans, then hangs himself.

Christ what a horrible horrible series of events.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, but it gets weirder.
    Someone with an anonymous IP address pointing back to Stamford, CT added a line about Nancy's death to Benoit's Wiki article at 12:01 AM EST Monday.

The night before the bodies were discovered.

Furu on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Okay, so. The timetable of events apparently according to the GBI (George Bureau Of Investigations, yes, I was shocked to learn they exist too.)

- Chris Beniot gets called home for a family emergency. It turns out the blood spitting stuff was bullshit and his wife actually killed their son by suffocating him with a garbage bag.

- In a fit of rage, Beniot takes the cord to their alarm clock and strangles his wife.

- Beniot writes a suicide note apologizing to his friends, other children, and fans, then hangs himself.

See, I knew Benoit wouldn't just kill his family.

I can understand why he did what he did. I don't support it, but it isn't nearly as bad as straight up cold blooded muder.

Poor guy. This is depressing.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Link, or something? Because I can't find anything that mentions any of that.

There have been a lot of stories coming out though trying to cast it in a different light, one where Benoit is slightly more innocent, and I'm just suspicious if this is one of them.

Lux on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lux wrote: »
    Link, or something? Because I can't find anything that mentions any of that.

There have been a lot of stories coming out though trying to cast it in a different light, one where Benoit is slightly more innocent, and I'm just suspicious if this is one of them.
    Yeah, I can't seem to find a source on this either.

Gimme da link.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Benoit was one of my favorite wrestlers. If it turned out to be a murder-suicide, this will just suck all the more. :cry:

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here's a link that mentions what Furu said:

http://thisrecording.wordpress.com/

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here's a link that mentions what Furu said:

http://thisrecording.wordpress.com/
    Which is unsubstantiated bullshit. It doesn't even fit the timeline given to us by officials. Benoit's wife died first, by all accounts.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah I don't think it's true, just wanted to post it

It's hard to swallow that Benoit murdered them both

Christ Puncher on

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I want to know what the truth is. I have a really hard time beliving Benoit would kill his wife and son.

And you can't fault Vince for the tribute show; all he knew was that the Benoit family was dead, and there was no reason to believe Chris would do something like this.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here's some info from Wade Keller's audio update from PWTorch:

-He said it is being reported he suffocated his wife and son, perhaps a day apart. And then hung himself. Late Sunday night, he sent a strange text message to a person within the WWE. The police broke into the house at 2:30 pm today and found them in separate rooms.

-Vince called all the wrestlers backstage this afternoon for an emergency meeting. Wrestler were already bawling and crying. A longtime WWE wrestler said it was the most emotional state he's ever seen the wrestlers.

-There was a really uneasy feeling Sunday. Everybody felt something was wrong.

-One wrestler said "It was bound to happen". There was a strong suspicion backstage that Benoit did this right away. There was also a suspicion that Nancy had done it. They had a volatile relationship and everyone knew it.

-Hardly anybody backstage really knew Benoit. He had a very small inner circle that one time included Eddy Guerrero and recently included Chavo Guerrero. But even they had a certain psychological distance from Benoit. Everyone could tell that something wasn't right lately with Benoit.

-He said that he was a very nice and pleasant person to be around, but a person close to Benoit said that Chris had "snap potential".

-A lot of steroids were found in the Benoit household, and Benoit has had bouts with "roid rages". WWE may suffer publicly because of their unenforced "Wellness Policy".

Also, it seems the WWE is already taking off Benoit's merchandise from the WWE store, as well as changing the description off the Wrestlemania XX dvd, among other things.
    Sad day for wrestling.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So much for Chris Benoit Day, I guess.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow. For some reason, I never imagined Benoit as one to take steroids. With every news that's coming out, it's painting a really sad image.

I wonder what, if any ripples this will have in the industries. After every big death, there's always some that push for some sort of break, as an almost year round travel schedule doesn't help anyone.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/ap_on_re_us/wrestler_dead

ATLANTA - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    A day apart?

How does that even work?

Furu on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pretty easily for a child.

Mommy is lying down. She doesn't feel good.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I been meaning to make a wrestling/UFC thread,

Not to thread-shit, but if you want to talk about the UFC there's already an MMA thread.

I just don't think MMA and professional wrestling are similar enough to be discussed in the same thread.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I been meaning to make a wrestling/UFC thread,

Not to thread-shit, but if you want to talk about the UFC there's already an MMA thread.

I just don't think MMA and professional wrestling are similar enough to be discussed in the same thread.

Okay. I promise we won't talk about MMA here.

Lux on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Variable wrote: »

I don't think it's "roid rage" related, as someone said. I gues you can't be sure but he didn't seem like the type of person, or have the type of body normally attributed to steroid use.

Not a wrestling fan, but I'd still recognize Benoit. He might have used steroids, but from what I've read, I'd side with the people who don't believe this was a case of roid rage. ABC News says that right now, toxicology reports aren't expected for two weeks, so it'll be a while before we find out for sure.

But my reasoning is this: Nancy was killed on Saturday, and their son on Sunday - hours or possibly a full day later. Benoit killed himself on Monday, again, hours to a full day later. Isn't roid rage supposed to take the form of violent fits, and not a three-day rampage?

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Lt. Pope said after a call for a "welfare check" prompted by WWE, they found all three bodies in the home mid-afternoon. He said autopsies have been performed and it is being considered a homicide-homicide-suicide. They said he murdered his wife by affixiation as far back as Friday, then his son Daniel the next day, then hanged himself likely on Sunday. He said toxicology reports can take up to several weeks to obtain. During questioning, he said there was no suicide note. He stuck with the term "asphyxiation" for the way both Nancy and Daniels died. He said Benoit was arrested for DUI in the past. He said there were no calls to his current residence for domestic abuse. A reporter asked if steroids or illegal substances were found. He said a lot of prescription medication he received from doctors with what they believed were legal prescriptions. When again pressed on whether steroids were found, he said he can't give them a list yet. He then said there were anabolic steroids when asked a third time. Regarding motive, he said they would not go into that at this time. Regarding the text message, he said he text messaged a friend and the friend saw it several hours after it was received by his phone. He would not go into the content of it. According to the doctor, several hours passed, no more than a day, between the son's death and Benoit's suicide by hanging. The wife's body was found in the office area, Daniel in his bedroom, and Benoit in the basement home gym. He estimated close to a full day between killing his wife and son. He said there was no evidence of Nancy resisting. The doctor from the crime lab estimates Nancy died some time on Friday. He turned questioing over to Fayetteville County D.A. Scott Ballard.

Ballard said he is struck by the fact that a seven year old boy is dead. "I don't think we'll ever be able to wrap our minds around it completely," he said. He said the timing was bizarre because of the time that elapsed between the deaths of the two victims and the suicide. "It struck me as somewhat bizarre that he would even be in the home with their deceased bodies for some time, but we don't know that; we haven't verified it." He said there was a Bible placed next to the bodies of each of the victims. He said Nancy was bound by her feet and wrists and there was some blood under her head in what he felt was a family room upstairs. She was wrapped in a towel. There were no such body treatments of the son, who was found in his upstairs bedroom. He said he had no idea about the motive. "I'm baffled why anyone would kill a seven year old baby. I have no idea about a motive." He said there was no evidence he was trying to hide the bodies. No 9-1-1 calls came from the house. He said he didn't know anything about Chris telling WWE he had a family emegency to deal with. He said at this point they are all pretty confidence it was a murder-suicide, they will "alert to any evidence to the contrary." He said they will reexamine everything when the toxicology reports comes back. He said it would probably more than two weeks, though. He reconfirmed steroids were found in the residence. He said he didn't know if there were firearms in the house.

http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/article_20640.shtml

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

Not a wrestling fan, but I'd still recognize Benoit. He might have used steroids, but from what I've read, I'd side with the people who don't believe this was a case of roid rage. ABC News says that right now, toxicology reports aren't expected for two weeks, so it'll be a while before we find out for sure.

But my reasoning is this: Nancy was killed on Saturday, and their son on Sunday - hours or possibly a full day later. Benoit killed himself on Monday, again, hours to a full day later. Isn't roid rage supposed to take the form of violent fits, and not a three-day rampage?

What probably happened is that he killed his wife in a fit of rage, then decided to kill his son and himself later.

What an asshole.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i take back all the positive things I have said about Benoit. I hope WWE forgets about him and does not do any more tribute shows to him.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know how much credibility this website has, but they're saying Benoit may have actually watched "Vengeance" with his son Daniel before killing him. I'll let you absorb that for a few seconds.

My stomach hasn't felt right since finding out about Benoit's death last night. I had no idea what happened, until I remembered that Monday Night Raw was a 3-hour special last night. I turned on the USA network around 8:35 PM EST to see John Cena talking about celebrating the life of Chris Benoit. I begged God to let it be a work. Maybe they thought they were striking gold with the "death" angles. Maybe they were just having their "superstars" get killed off one-by-one in a huge, long-running story arch. If only.

I went and turned on my computer, and saw all the news sites plastered with the story that Chris, Nancy, and Daniel were found dead in their home. I think I knew what had happened before the authorities even released their statements. I didn't want to believe it. I still don't.

Sad day for wrestling, indeed. I was born in April, 1984, and I've been watching pro-wrestling since I was old enough to walk. Nothing--not Owen's accident, not Brian Pillman's overdose, not Eddie Guerrero's death--even comes close to being as tragic as this. My heart is positively shattered by this chain of events, as I never made it a huge secret that Chris Benoit was one of my favorites of all time. Probably my second-favorite technical wrestler of all time next to Bret Hart.

I'm going to have a hard time ever watching wrestling the same way again. I want so badly to believe that this was all an accident. That Benoit found his son and wife dead, and hung himself out of grief. I want that to be the truth. I don't want Benoit's legacy to be tainted like this.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I don't even know how to express how I feel about all this. Benoit used to be one of my favorite wrestlers when I watched it regularly, and now this happens. He must have just completely lost his mind - either from steroids, personal problems, or who knows what. I can't imagine what would drive a person to do something like this, especially to their own innocent 7-year-old son. It's just awful.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    He probably couldn't stand the thought of his son living with the realization that his father murdered his mom.

Hoz on
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To AZ,
    I've heard bad things about the PW Torch's journalistic integrity, so I'd be careful believing what they say.

Conn on
    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I would believe that PWTorch is fully capable of transcribing a press conference on television.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oops. My bad, then.

Conn on
    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Chris Benoit was probably my favorite wrestler of all time. The guy was all business, told his story in the ring, and made himself and anyone he wrestled look like a million bucks. My happiest wrestling memory was he and Eddie embracing at the end of WM 20. It was two guys who weren't huge, lumbering, no-selling dolts making it to the highest level.

That being said, fuck him. Fuck him to hell and back. I have a close friend whose father killed her mother and would have killed her and her sister if the police hadn't come in time, so I've seen first hand the long-reaching horror of this. I'll never be able to watch a Benoit match again, and after just buying 4 RoH DVDs, I wonder if I'll be able to watch those any time soon, as even thinking about pro-wrestling and its rising list of casualties is making me feel ill.

I can't even imagine how his other children, Chavo, Kevin Sullivan, and Vince McMahon feel right now.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Killed his wife, then his son a day later. Both by strangulation. Son was in bed. Wife was bound by feet and wrists. Hung himself in weight room with pulleys hours after killing son. No note. Bibles by each of the bodies.

Christ Puncher on