Options

Techno, in all shapes and sizes [NSF56K]

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Borfase wrote: »
    wait, you can't use the music you have on the ipod for ringtones?

...really?

no but I'm sure they'll have some perfectly good ones for you to buy at 3 dollars a pop

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    They were testing something and I gave you a heads up.

Last time I'm doing it anyways. You people really are whiny retards.

Just trying to find out why me being suitably unimpressed by the iPhone having msn results in me being a big silly

oh wait I did not talk to the Apple VP no I did not sir!

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    wait, you can't use the music you have on the ipod for ringtones?

...really?

yeah, that's something I don't understand either.

Completely fucking mystifying.

Like the lack of MMS ability.

And a hundred other quirks.

Once again, fuck early adoption.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah i don't think i'll get one now

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If nothing else, I hope the iPhone does well so that other phone companies can finally get off their asses and make some cool stuff that is actually functional.

Like a year down the road see Motorola release a phone for 1/3 the cost of the iPhone, but works on all carriers, has a badass screen, tons of memory, and will wash dishes and bake pies.

That would be pretty sweet, guys.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PiPhone

Weaver on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »
    So there's no voice dialing... is there any hands-free option at all?

Or is this phone completely illegal to use while driving in CA.

It comes with headphones with a mic on the cord. The iPod automatically pauses music when you have a call coming in. The mic in the headphones is also pinch-sensitive - like you can pinch it to pause music, double-pinch to skip forward, pinch to answer a call, shit like that.
    Ok.... but you still have to pull over to dial.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    PiPhone
    Tom-Selleck---Magnum-PI--C10102602.jpg

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    So there's no voice dialing... is there any hands-free option at all?

Or is this phone completely illegal to use while driving in CA.

It comes with headphones with a mic on the cord. The iPod automatically pauses music when you have a call coming in. The mic in the headphones is also pinch-sensitive - like you can pinch it to pause music, double-pinch to skip forward, pinch to answer a call, shit like that.
    Ok.... but you still have to pull over to dial.

yeah if you're a fucking square

Borfase on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Deadshot wrote: »
    You're saying a web application works with a device which is said to work with web applications?

I didn't expect that.

You're a moron.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You're saying a web application works with a device which is said to work with web applications?

I didn't expect that.

You're a moron.

I guess instead of the constant insults you seem to post every time, you could enlighten the morons on what is so important/special.

If you want, ya know whatever, this is SE++ not "We give a rats ass++"

VulnoX on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ascot wrote: »
    Is this something people do regularly?

I've never ever replaced a battery in any phone i've ever owned.

well, some people don't know how to charge a phone properly and end up cooking their batteries

then they have to buy a new one, which in most phones is a fairly simple deal to replace.

I would not be surprised if the tech support people have wave after wave of complaints about how their battery is not holding a charge

Even if you don't go through "proper charging procedures" your battery should easily last long enough.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    VulnoX wrote: »

I didn't expect that.

You're a moron.

I guess instead of the constant insults you seem to post every time, you could enlighten the morons on what is so important/special.

Yeah, labels are nice.

Here's another one, you're a moron too.

It's like here's a thread about the iPhone. I was just on msn with my friend who was testing web messenger on it, happened to pass it to the VP who told me "hey bud, sup".

To me I think that's pretty neat news.

You don't think so that's fine, I can deal with that.

If you don't think it's valid considering no other web based browser on a phone, which in the past has made claims that it can do x, when it can't and you can climb on some tarded down version on your little wap browser, I kind of think you're talking out of you ass to put in your usual 2 cents.

That's mine.

Meiz on
  • Options
    AggronautAggronaut Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So after reading about ten pages of what iPhone can't do, what can it do?

Aggronaut on

trooperssignature.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    it can empty your wallet in two shakes of a lambs tail

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aggronaut wrote: »

reach arounds during butt sex

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Check out the New York Times' review amongst many.

I'll be playing with it next week. Shoot me a PM and I'll let you know.

Meiz on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

Can you sum it up in a concise list in one post?

graizur on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I didn't expect that.

You're a moron.

Yeah, labels are nice.

Here's another one, you're a moron too.

It's like here's a thread about the iPhone. I was just on msn with my friend who was testing web messenger on it, happened to pass it to the VP who told me "hey bud, sup".

To me I think that's pretty neat news.

You don't think so that's fine, I can deal with that.

If you don't think it's valid considering no other web based browser on a phone, which in the past has made claims that it can do x, when it can't and you can climb on some tarded down version on your little wap browser, I kind of think you're talking out of you ass to put in your usual 2 cents.

That's mine.

My retarded little WAP browser?

Um, no, I have PIE (which does suck for more advanced web based systems like Youtube, etc) and I have Opera. Not Opera Mini, but the full Opera made for Smartphones that renders full websites just like the iPhone claims to do.

I also have Octro Chat which does AIM/MSN/Yahoo/Google Talk/Skype, and more all in one app.

So yeah, whats your point?

Web Messenger programs have been available on every phone, the problem is that they rarely run in the background reliably. My Octro Chat can stay on 24/7 and not interupt my use of my phone.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    That opera browser is pretty awesome. I really like it.

Also, I found out I can get a NES emulator on my BB!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    e word

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    That opera browser is pretty awesome. I really like it.

Also, I found out I can get a NES emulator on my BB!

Yeah the emulators are fun to have. Also, not sure if they have this for BB, but you can get a Java emulator as well that lets you play all the games that you would play on non-smartphone/blackberry devices.

I know that isn't the coolest thing ever, but there are some pretty good games and apps out there.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Probably. There are shitloads of hacks and cracks for BBs. I found a plug-in where I can actually change the color of scroll ball on my pearl. It's blue now instead of white.

Butters on
  • Options
    AggronautAggronaut Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    lostwords wrote: »

reach arounds during butt sex

Oh god iReach! Apple should jump on this thing right away. The market is a growing one!

Check out the New York Times' review amongst many.

I'll be playing with it next week. Shoot me a PM and I'll let you know.

Sure, I was looking for more some user-comments instead of a list of features anyways.

Aggronaut on

trooperssignature.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    uh guys that's still not allowed here

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Um, no, I have PIE (which does suck for more advanced web based systems like Youtube, etc) and I have Opera. Not Opera Mini, but the full Opera made for Smartphones that renders full websites just like the iPhone claims to do.

I also have Octro Chat which does AIM/MSN/Yahoo/Google Talk/Skype, and more all in one app.

Web Messenger programs have been available on every phone, the problem is that they rarely run in the background reliably. My Octro Chat can stay on 24/7 and not interupt my use of my phone.

My point was simply that the web browser on the iPhone was able to pull up a site and log into a program that I haven't seen done on other smart phones before and I thought it was neat.

That's it.

I didn't list off the myriad other uses, potential applications and throw down an e-peen the size of my thigh onto the table. I just made a passing comment.

Can Opera do this? I don't know.

By the way, if you're transmitting data, you can't do voice, unless you're using an alternate connectivity method such as WiFi.

You don't know how many people I've talked to that bought a product that had claimed X and when it came time to deliver, it didn't do it.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

My point was simply that the web browser on the iPhone was able to pull up a site and log into a program that I haven't seen done on other smart phones before and I thought it was neat.

That's it.

I didn't list off the myriad other uses, potential applications and throw down an e-peen the size of my thigh onto the table. I just made a passing comment.

Can Opera do this? I don't know.

By the way, if you're transmitting data, you can't do voice, unless you're using an alternate connectivity method such as WiFi.

You don't know how many people I've talked to that bought a product that had claimed X and when it came time to deliver, it didn't do it.

That may have been true years ago, or with GSM, or whatever. But with EVDO you can still receive voice while using Data. I think EDGE has this ability as well.

Also, yes you can log into a messanger app through most phones web browsers. In fact on any Sprint phone it comes with the links to Yahoo, MSN, and AIM that you navigate and log into through the built in WAP browser and it works quite well, the only problem being when you close the browser it logs you off.

But for Smartphones, no, this has been around for years. That is all I am saying, I just was against you calling people morons without giving a reason as to why they were. That shit is annoying.

The honest truth is, the iPhone offer nothing new or revolutionary beyond the way you interact with it (touchscreen/multi touch).

That does not give it a right to a $600 price tag.

Therefor, overpriced.

If I am missing something please let me know.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It can surf the web at very slow speeds and play a limited amount of I-tuneS from it's small memory while draining the non-removeable battery at a dizzying rate!

jwalk on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That may have been true years ago, or with GSM, or whatever. But with EVDO you can still receive voice while using Data. I think EDGE has this ability as well.

EDGE does not, or at least I get an error if I try and use a browser during a voice call when I'm using EDGE. I actually haven't tried it with 3G, so I can't speak to that.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It can surf the web at very slow speeds and play a limited amount of I-tuneS from it's small memory while draining the non-removeable battery at a dizzying rate!

I think the memory is pretty great for a phone, but not for a media player.

"Sweet guys! I just loaded 200 songs and 4 movies on my iPhone!"

"So... then what?"

"Well then I can connect it to my computer and load some others!"

No thanks, I will stick to my iPod, I would have rather Apple made a badass looking phone with 1-2gigs of built in memory plus an expansion slot for some cheap $10 2 gig SD cards and had it cost $300.

But NOOOOOOOO

Giving you what you don't need and taking away what you would use is Apple's job 1 lately it seems like.

"Hey guys we just designed the new Macbook Pro, it has a faster processor and more memory and a bigger hard drive than anything else, looks amazing and has great reliability!"

"Sweet, how about the video card"

"*muffle muffle* 8600 *muffle muffle*"

"Oh..."

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Six wrote: »

EDGE does not, or at least I get an error if I try and use a browser during a voice call when I'm using EDGE. I actually haven't tried it with 3G, so I can't speak to that.

Ok 3G might, I know EVDO does as I said, but if you are in a non-EVDO area (standard 1x) then from what I have read you can't do data and voice at the same time.

Thankfully, I have not gone to many places that are not EVDO.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    see i still don't care about all this edge stuff because i'd just use wifi on it all the time

but i guess it'd be nice to have 3g or whatever

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Ok 3G might, I know EVDO does as I said, but if you are in a non-EVDO area (standard 1x) then from what I have read you can't do data and voice at the same time.

Thankfully, I have not gone to many places that are not EVDO.

Sprint's data network is much better.

I leave 3G off more of the time since it drains my phone's battery so fast. If I need to do somethign more than just light browsing I'll turn it on, but otherwise I stick to EDGE. It's really slow, but works in a pinch.

it's going to be infuriating for iphone users.

Six on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    see i still don't care about all this edge stuff because i'd just use wifi on it all the time

At my work and that we don't have a very good Wifi connection.

See, part of the iPhone's thing is that its great for stuff like e-mail, well, if you get an e-mail with an attachment, then you are looking at a long download, and if the voice is not usable during that download as was pointed out, then you could be missing calls waiting for an e-mail to finish.

If I was at home or school where I do have Wifi, well then I just use my laptop so I would not need the iPhone anyway.

I guess the iPhone may work for some people, but I am just not seeing who that is yet. I guess I should reserve judgement until its actually been out for awhile.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    fuck page 11

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

See, part of the iPhone's thing is that its great for stuff like e-mail, well, if you get an e-mail with an attachment, then you are looking at a long download, and if the voice is not usable during that download as was pointed out, then you could be missing calls waiting for an e-mail to finish.

If I was at home or school where I do have Wifi, well then I just use my laptop so I would not need the iPhone anyway.

I guess the iPhone may work for some people, but I am just not seeing who that is yet. I guess I should reserve judgement until its actually been out for awhile.

This depends on how email works on it, which I admit not to knowing much about it.

One of the reasons I got the blackjack is that i could use it with my exchange server at home and use push email. It works jsut like a blackberry, and works great over edge. I receive message headers as they arrive, along with the first however many bytes of a message. If I want to download the attachment I can (usually switching to 3G first), but it doesn't do it automatically.

Six on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    yeah i'm gonna wait until they add common sense stuff like mms messages and song ringtones before i get one

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

This depends on how email works on it, which I admit not to knowing much about it.

One of the reasons I got the blackjack is that i could use it with my exchange server at home and use push email. It works jsut like a blackberry, and works great over edge. I receive message headers as they arrive, along with the first however many bytes of a message. If I want to download the attachment I can (usually switching to 3G first), but it doesn't do it automatically.

Yeah thats true, my Q can do headers and message stubs as well I just don't use it so I wasn't thinking about it.

But the reviews say the way the iPhone works as far as e-mail and text messaging is really well done.

They were not too happy about making phone calls though. I guess its like 6+ steps. That is one thing I love about my Q, you just start typing a persons name or phone number from about anywhere and names come up.

I am sure a Blackberry is the same way.

I guess the iPhone though is like:
    Unlock the phone
    Press the Homescreen Button
    Open the Address Book
    Start the on-screen Keyboard
    Type the name
    Send

Instead of mine which is like:
    Unlock
    Type
    Send

or just Unlock and hold down the number 2 or 3 or whatever for speed-dial.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think the 6 steps thing is a worst case senario, though. Like if your phone is sleeping and locked and you don't have the person in there.

I don't lock my phone, so I just start typing a name and when it's highlighted I hit send. I'm sure the iphone has some sort of speedial capability.

Six on
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    i just feel uncomfortable carrying around something so expensive everywhere with me.
    the fact that one whole side of it is a glass screen makes it more vulnerable.
    i would absolutely break it.

Drano on