As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is the MMO forum a failure?

TubeTube Registered User admin
Pls to vote and comment. This isn't necessarily a majority vote or anything, I'm interested in anyone who uses it, their opinions and whether they agree that it can safely be deleted to make way for NEW AND EXCITING FORUMS.

Tube on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Its success is limited since a lot of MMOs like EVE still have Game On threads in G&T.

But the activity will always be limited since most people only play 1-2 MMOs at a time. I only scan the Warhammer and City of Heroes threads myself.

To sum it up, I could see it being rationalized as being taken down or staying. Compelling arguments for both.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I checked it out a few times and it seemed like kind of a mess to me. Most (sane) people only play one MMO, so I don't really see the point

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    1st point: Make room? Do the forums only have a certain amount of storage space and you have to delete one to make another?

2nd point: If you delete it it'll just mean dumping 20 more MMO threads back into G&T, pushing down existing threads and making it a lot harder for people interested in playing with the relevant game community to find them.

Scooter on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    It's okay, could need more advertisment or so because it's kinda empty.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    personally, i play Eve, and i only read its thread in G&T. There were a couple of Eve threads in the MMO forum waaay back when, but those kinda died out. It basically seems to be for WoW and CoX, so i guess if it's needed for those, then it might as well stay. But not many MMOs need more than a single thread to keep track of news.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    personally, i play Eve, and i only read its thread in G&T. There were a couple of Eve threads in the MMO forum waaay back when, but those kinda died out. It basically seems to be for WoW and CoX, so i guess if it's needed for those, then it might as well stay. But not many MMOs need more than a single thread to keep track of news.
    I don't think there is WoW discussion there, since WoW has its own subforum.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well for CoH, we use the forum to organize team nights. It's kind of dumb how there's like "post your character" for any game as opposed to one thread for each MMO for that. I would go look at people's CoH characters, but now I have to shuffle through everyone's Eve characters too.

I don't know, I could elaborate I guess, but I was gonna go do other things.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    1st point: Make room? Do the forums only have a certain amount of storage space and you have to delete one to make another?

Basically the forums are already cluttered and I'm not adding any more until some fat gets trimmed.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

The Ever's specifically requested their stuff get moved back to G&T, I guess because their people were getting lost or something.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    What about making the MMO forum a subforum of G&T

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd vote for save if I could.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It seems odd to place the MMO forum on the potential chopping block, when The Whine/Bitch subform seems to have a short shelf life, and is just spillover from SE++.

Edit: I realize it's (sic: Whine/Bitch subforum) going away soon, just wondering if it's creation somehow cramps the style of the more perm. sub fourms.

Edit edit: G&T is a bit tumultuous to stick all the other MMO's in other than WoW. The flurry of new threads is enough clutter.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I vote for scrapping it, but I'd like to see the technology stripped out of Games and Technology, then given it's own subforum.
    (I know you hate this idea, but I still think it would be cool.)

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

The Ever's specifically requested their stuff get moved back to G&T, I guess because their people were getting lost or something.
    Sure, they can navigate an unfriendly galaxy filled with angry people just waiting to turn there shiny new battleship into dust and spend weeks of time training to use the next greatest missile launcher, but scroll down a bit to the MMO forum? Oh hells no.

Personally, I'd vote to save it until I get some idea what might potentially take the spot.

see317 on
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Manifest wrote: »
    I vote for scraping it, but I'd like to see the technology stripped out of Games and Technology, then given it's own subforum.
    (I know you hate this idea, but I still think it would be cool.)
    that's a really good idea

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    yeah cheers for the hijack mani

let's talk about the MMO forum, nowt else

Tube on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I'd like to see it placed under G&T for some more visibility. It's kind of out of the way at the moment.

If that doesn't work - chopping block.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm going with scrap for now, as I can see more elegant ways to handle it, and I want discussion about it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think either non-WoW mmo threads should either be moved there and kept there (especially Eve, LOTR) or it should be scrapped. If those threads were moved it would have enough of a following to be a relevant and useful forum. But as it stands it's sparse to the point that I usually forget it's even there.

Making it a subforum of G&T would be a great idea in conjunction with moving the non-WoW mmo threads. But alone I don't think it would be enough.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I found my brief stay here less helpful than a G&T game on thread.

Yar on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm going with scrap for now, as I can see more elegant ways to handle it, and I want discussion about it.

There probably are better ways to handle it, aye.

I can't see cramming it into G&T as a viable solution personally though (@Echo). G&T is a madhouse in of itself. Adding more to the mix gives me a moment of pause.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ecapsknalb wrote: »
    yeah cheers for the hijack mani

let's talk about the MMO forum, nowt else

I didn't mean to hijack, I'm just saying that the MMO forum would be best off merged back into G&T, and by reducing the amount of T, you make room for more G.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't use the MMO forum if WoW didn't have its own sub-forum I probably would use the MMO forum.

Seg on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Right now the scope is a bit too limited to be useful. Why not open it to online games in general?

It would provide a spot for [Game On] threads, huge MMO threads, FPS threads, and so on.

Edit: And merge the WoW forum in to it.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Some have suggested bringing a Game On forum back. History has, apparently, shown such a sub-forum has failed in the past, but others argue that many more systems are online these days (even handhelds) and thus such a thing might do better.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Expanding on Manifest's idea: Split Games and Technology, leave Technology in the On-Topic section, move games to the Forum Communities section and maybe have a subforum for MMOs and/or online games under Games.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Penny-Arcade is about games, so having the main forum for games at the bottom of our forum is a...not good idea.

I also question the activity of a Tech forum. There's a mouse thread here and there, and of course big-name items like the iPhone get talk, but unless we stole from H&A and allowed tech help threads...I don't see much going on there.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    change is bad!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    WoW really ought to be rolled into MMO. It may have more players, but it's not that complex a game (in the genre of MMOs), there shouldn't really be a need for a thread on every single class, etc.

I'm just saying, if we urgently need to free up a forum spot, that's what we should do. I have no problem with keeping things as they are, and for that matter I have no problem with giving a forum to every game that has 40 PAers playing it. With the collapsible forum listings there is no clutter.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Some have suggested bringing a Game On forum back. History has, apparently, shown such a sub-forum has failed in the past, but others argue that many more systems are online these days (even handhelds) and thus such a thing might do better.

While it's a good idea in concept, I can't imagine this working very well in execution. Every other forum I know of that has separate forums for discussing and organizing games just kind of has a thread about every game in both, with people doing whatever they want in each of them. At best you'd get discussion and game organization in the "main forum" and only game organization in the Game On forum, but this is kinda redundant and pointless.

But this is about the MMO forum, so let's not get off topic. I vote scrap it because it gets little traffic that couldn't be handled in G&T or elsewhere. CoH has it's own forum hosted elsewhere, as most of our mmo subcommunities do, and if the CoH thread (or any MMO community's thread) can't hold it's own in G&T, they can could post shiny new threads every so often to bolster interest from the general public.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Echo may have a point with just moving it higher up the list, so it's under G&T.
    (Also, merge it with the wow forum).

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It should really be a G&T sub-forum rather than hanging out down with SE++. Possibly the [Game On] threads could be stuck in there too?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    We are not talking about new forums in this thread

we are talking about whether we keep a forum we currently have

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    CoH has it's own forum hosted elsewhere,

No we don't.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    We are not talking about new forums in this thread

we are talking about whether we keep a forum we currently have

Keep the forum, on the condition that all MMO threads and the WoW subforum are merged into it and move it into the On-Topic section.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think if there's an MMO forum at all, it needs to be all-in-one (barring an occasion where one MMO gets so much discussion that it really needs a special forum).

I think it would be the most practical to either roll the WoW forum in to the MMO forum, or they should both be nuked and all MMO chat moved back to G&T.

MKR on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The WoW forum has enough traffic to maintain itself. It's a behemoth of a game, that's gonna be around for awhile, and not having one, given the number of people who play it, would be nuts.

I say scrap the MMO forum based on its traffic alone.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    as munkus would point out, it's not necessarily about traffic

Tube on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    CoH has it's own forum hosted elsewhere,

No we don't.

You certainly used to. I had an account there. What happened to it?

Monoxide on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    as munkus would point out, it's not necessarily about traffic
    For a forum about games, I think it is about traffic.

Thanatos on