Options

[EVE] 2 New Titans Unveiled: One undersized and slightly bent

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    ACSIS wrote: »
    Capn wrote: »
    Any ideas on getting a BS from Hoshuon to RYC?

Warpcore stabilizers, and enough power to activate them in a emergency situation.

uh...WCS don't require activation

SHH! It's more amusing when they panic and try to click them to make them work!

On a serious note, ECM drones, disposable life savers.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Real answer: spend the extra 20m to just buy in RYC.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thats true, but they also cumulatively reduce... what was it? Speed? So you want them offline normally, activatin them only when needed. The catch is you need 3/4 energy, and you need multiple stabilizers. Can be tricky.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    ArchonArchon regular
    edited July 2007
    When online they reduce lock time and targeting, both of which you wouldn't need jumping and warping all the way to SP without stopping.

Unless I missed something.

Archon on
    arach.jpg
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thats true, but they also cumulatively reduce... what was it? Speed? So you want them offline normally, activatin them only when needed. The catch is you need 3/4 energy, and you need multiple stabilizers. Can be tricky.
    It's 95% cap, so this really isn't practical.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No ACSIS is just misinformed/retarded. They only increase lock time and such.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Can someone tell me how to change all the standings for the different groups in Goonspace?
    Because I'm planning on heading that way soon, and I don't want to die.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how to change all the standings for the different groups in Goonspace?
    Because I'm planning on heading that way soon, and I don't want to die.

If you're in MechI, standings will already be set for you. If you're not, then nothing you can do is going to keep you from dying.

(Un)fortunately, setting standings is the thankless and unending work of the corp directors, not the members :P

Bremen on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Corp standings are already set universally by the directors, rarely will you have to set your own individual standings, unless some cheeky monkey is notorious for griefing and you need to remember it. Short answer, if you're in MerchI, your standings should be set blue to goonswarm and allies already, if you're not in MerchI, then may god help you, because you won't last long.

Also, anything you see as light blue means that short of anything but being in a gang hunting BoB, that person or corp will probably shoot you and you should assume as much.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Godamn desynchs, I swear to god, a 30 person gang of us jumps in, 1/3 of us desynch atleast.

:rage:

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

stop giving advice when you don't know what you're talking about uggghhh

stuff like WCS and cloaks and MWDs give their penalties as long as they're fitted, not just when they're online

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So that's why the Goonspace is Not Blue, Shoot it. Gotcha.

So, blue is OK. Light blue, keep an eye on. Orange and red, burn that fucker down. Right?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

stuff like WCS and cloaks and MWDs give their penalties as long as they're fitted, not just when they're online

Actually that's not true. Cloaks do, but MWDs don't. Not sure about WCS, but I was under the impression that offline meant no penalty.

edit: unless this all changed in Rev 2

Zenitram on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The point is, fit fucking WCS and Istabs if you're going to move a slowass battleship around. And a cloak in the highs, mwd in the mid to burn back to a gate in case of a bubble.

Your best bet, if you're going solo, is to ctrl+q out of every camp you see unless you're in a bubble.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Zenitram wrote: »

Actually that's not true. Cloaks do, but MWDs don't. Not sure about WCS, but I was under the impression that offline meant no penalty.

It doesn't matter in this situation because there's absolutely no reason you'd want to fit offlined WCS for traveling. If you get into a situation where you'd need to activate them, chances are you'd be nos'd or have to activate your MWD which means you won't have enough cap to online it in the first place. Not to mention you can only online one, which is pointless, because the most likely way you'll get killed is a gatecamp.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I recommend biting the bullet and just paying the mark up.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2 days away from my first cruiser. I tingle all over.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    2 days away from my first cruiser. I tingle all over.

2 days? Pfft. Twelve hours
    I say twelve hours, because I have three left to train Frigate IV, then I'm getting on at 2:30 AM to start training Cruiser, and by tomorrow afternoon I should have my Stabber.
    What's the Cruiser level needed for that, anyway? III?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MadtownMadtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    newbies excited to get into a cruiser

shobon.gif

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really hate that jump clones are on a 24-hour timer. Seriously. Why can't it be like 8 or 12?

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchonArchon regular
    edited July 2007
    Because that would be convenient. And there would probably be no risk in having implants, because people would just jump to the implant clone before sleeping/logging and profit without the inconvenience of not being able to make some isk, or be in pvp gangs for a while.

Archon on
    arach.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Madtown wrote: »
    newbies excited to get into a cruiser

shobon.gif

Hell yes I'm excited. As much as I like my Rifter, I need a change of pace. That means a new damn ship.
    And with about 9 million ISK, I can buy my stabber, and be flying it tomorrow. Just 1 hour and 18 minutes left till Frigate IV, and I can set Cruisers to train while I get sleep.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think you're giving them far too much credit---it's just another time sink. And an annoying one, especially when your plans end up changing.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shut your filthy mouth
    Honestly, I'm just sick of flying a frig. I'll still keep my rifter around for tackling, but I want to use something better for just running missions.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For those tl;dr, here is the Upshot: The game gets a massive thumbs down from me.

I want to make this criticism as constructive a as possible. I will try and back up what I say with as much background as I can. If this is too long, see the tl;dr warning above.

It's awesome that CCP is giving out the 14 day trials. It does let you try out the game before you decide to play, and I invite everyone to give it a shot, as I did. I went in with a bit of a sour heart, but was willing to give the game a go. The reason why I went in under a cloud was because this is one of my favorite game genres. From what I heard, someone pooped on it.

But, I was willing to give it a go. I wanted to give it a try.

After playing 4 days of my 14 day trial, personally, I think the game blows donkey dick. Now I say that will a little reservation, because I don't know if that's just me being 33 and I'm bitter 'bout "you kids these days with your hair and your music, and those crazy games you pay." or if the game actually does suck. I'm all for the opinion that it is indeed *I* who sucks and the game is perfectly fine.

I've been playing opened-ended space-merchant games since Sapce Rogue for the Apple II. (Screenshots Here)
    The idea is the same, even back then. You are given a small, gimpy ship out in the middle of nowhere, and you make your way to some kind of trading core. From there, buy low, sell high, upgrade your ship, hunt bounties, and follow an optional plot. It's really up to you. I played the heck out of Space Rogue, trading between star bases, making contraband runs under the nose of the local cops, (The most lucrative), and just being a general pain-in-the-ass in the universe.

The idea is not lost on me.

Privateer was an evolution in the idea. ( (Screenshots)
    Same concept, this time in a fleshed out Wing Commander universe. Buy/sell ships, goods, play the market, buy weapons, upgrades, and, heck, kill some straggling Kirathi for fun and profit. Be pirate of you want, or maybe an up-and-up merchant. Bounty hunter was also not out of the question.

Privateer 2 was the coup-de-gras. (Screens)
    Now in total 3D, you had a massive starsystem you could explore. My friend and I actually printed out the whole map and pasted it on his ceiling so all we had to do was lean back in our chairs, look up, and navigate. I remember fondly making Bex beer runs for massive amounts of cash.

I have played all these things.

EVE is not these things, but it tries to be.

The scenery is pretty. It's a really pretty game. It *looks* like all those games above, taken to a new level. But under it's cosmetic glamor is a broken game trying to be too much at once.

The interface is horrific. There is not a single thing I could find that was intuitive about it. My first character I rolled was a businessman, much like myself. I wanted to use my charisma to tease out the lowest prices, and then gain the ability to sell sand in a desert. All the other games I played, each system has some kind of setting. These was the techo-worlds. Here are the farmers. This was the Arrakis and Tatooine. Over here, this was the hooker planet were drugs and firearms were cheap.

By low, sell high.

I was underwhelmed at the mouse controls, and even more put off by the utter lack of a cockpit screen. I can only afford a display of 1024x768. If I have more than five windows open, you were pretty much looking at an OS workbench. Calculator, web browser, IM chat, email. You stats are up there, with skills that do... something, but are way too vague on describing their utility. Money is here, your possessions are there. Well, in a metaphysical sense, they are actually here and here and over there. Somehow money and assets are different. (I'm a business major, that didn't make any sense at all) anyway, I think I have the hang of it.

In the starbase, I am inundated with functions with no rhyme or reason. Corp hangar, personal hangar, agents.. do I talk to them with eve-mail, oh there is an "agents" folder in this window. Nope, Ok, I pay 2,100 ISK to talk to them. Nothing? Never mind. These buttons over here. I have the option to refine what I have mined, no, not accepted? Too little? Why? What? Ok sell? Never mind. Let's look at the market... What can I buy? Is this important? How do these parts relate to my ship? Ok never mind, Lets try this later.

Ok, I'm going head to Merch. I might be a little more at home with PA types and an established corp so I can learn the ropes. What kind of trade routes did you guys have? You guys need me to haul anything anywhere? .... Where are you guys? Looks like they pretty much are doing the pew-pew 23 jumps away.

I am given about 6mil in ISK. I'm grateful I have capital. Let's buy a nice hauling ship with lots of cargo, maybe an engine upgrade.

Never mind. I can't actually enter the ship. I buy/sell blowing my 6 mill until I find out I can get a ship that is just an incremental upgrade from the other one I own. Well Kind of. It mounts funny my auto-reapar thing doesn't work anymore. Why must I pack my old ship to sell it? What does that mean? Oh, never mind. I can't sell it. More inventory of mine littered across the galaxy.

I fly about. I learn that the worlds are just scenery, there is no real trade economy. Blowing through the planets at warp just reinforces that they are not really there. Mining is dull and not rewarding. Ratting (killing NPCs for bounty profit) is an automatic affair. Click-click-click-wait...salvage. That too isn't very rewarding either. The core worlds offer nothing.

This game simply is not any fun. :(

I killed my characters I made, I wishI could give back the 16 mil in ISK that the merch guys gave me, but you can't transfer cash between accounts outbound on a limited account.

All in all I'm pretty disappointed. I really wanted to like it, but it just sucked all the fun and life out a game genre I adore.

tl;dr

It's not for me.

halkun on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Totally.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Obviously.
    EDIT: Oh man. Half an hour till I can start on cruisers. Right now, it's a fight to stay awake, because it is 2 A-freaking-M here.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Halkun, that is why most people play EVE for the PvP. The PvE is boring as hell and the interface is absolute shit. However, the high risk cutthroat pvp is what makes the game worthwhile.
    I fly about. I learn that the worlds are just scenery, there is no real trade economy.

This however is not true. If there's one thing EVE does right that doesn't involve blowing up someone elses shit, it's the economy. It's almost entirely player run. Aside from tech 1 crap and skills that are seeded by NPCs in empire, everything else is built, moved, priced, sold, and bought by players. If you moved out to 0.0 you'd see it even more--nothing out there is put in place by the game. Every single item on the market was put there by a person and sold to another.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What I don't get is why do I love the genre so much, but this seems so bad. I just don't get it.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    halkun wrote: »
    For those tl;dr, here is the Upshot: The game gets a massive thumbs down from me.

I want to make this criticism as constructive a as possible. I will try and back up what I say with as much background as I can. If this is too long, see the tl;dr warning above.

It's awesome that CCP is giving out the 14 day trials. It does let you try out the game before you decide to play, and I invite everyone to give it a shot, as I did. I went in with a bit of a sour heart, but was willing to give the game a go. The reason why I went in under a cloud was because this is one of my favorite game genres. From what I heard, someone pooped on it.

But, I was willing to give it a go. I wanted to give it a try.

After playing 4 days of my 14 day trial, personally, I think the game blows donkey dick. Now I say that will a little reservation, because I don't know if that's just me being 33 and I'm bitter 'bout "you kids these days with your hair and your music, and those crazy games you pay." or if the game actually does suck. I'm all for the opinion that it is indeed *I* who sucks and the game is perfectly fine.

I've been playing opened-ended space-merchant games since Sapce Rogue for the Apple II. (Screenshots Here)
    The idea is the same, even back then. You are given a small, gimpy ship out in the middle of nowhere, and you make your way to some kind of trading core. From there, buy low, sell high, upgrade your ship, hunt bounties, and follow an optional plot. It's really up to you. I played the heck out of Space Rogue, trading between star bases, making contraband runs under the nose of the local cops, (The most lucrative), and just being a general pain-in-the-ass in the universe.

The idea is not lost on me.

Privateer was an evolution in the idea. ( (Screenshots)
    Same concept, this time in a fleshed out Wing Commander universe. Buy/sell ships, goods, play the market, buy weapons, upgrades, and, heck, kill some straggling Kirathi for fun and profit. Be pirate of you want, or maybe an up-and-up merchant. Bounty hunter was also not out of the question.

Privateer 2 was the coup-de-gras. (Screens)
    Now in total 3D, you had a massive starsystem you could explore. My friend and I actually printed out the whole map and pasted it on his ceiling so all we had to do was lean back in our chairs, look up, and navigate. I remember fondly making Bex beer runs for massive amounts of cash.

I have played all these things.

EVE is not these things, but it tries to be.

The scenery is pretty. It's a really pretty game. It *looks* like all those games above, taken to a new level. But under it's cosmetic glamor is a broken game trying to be too much at once.

The interface is horrific. There is not a single thing I could find that was intuitive about it. My first character I rolled was a businessman, much like myself. I wanted to use my charisma to tease out the lowest prices, and then gain the ability to sell sand in a desert. All the other games I played, each system has some kind of setting. These was the techo-worlds. Here are the farmers. This was the Arrakis and Tatooine. Over here, this was the hooker planet were drugs and firearms were cheap.

By low, sell high.

I was underwhelmed at the mouse controls, and even more put off by the utter lack of a cockpit screen. I can only afford a display of 1024x768. If I have more than five windows open, you were pretty much looking at an OS workbench. Calculator, web browser, IM chat, email. You stats are up there, with skills that do... something, but are way too vague on describing their utility. Money is here, your possessions are there. Well, in a metaphysical sense, they are actually here and here and over there. Somehow money and assets are different. (I'm a business major, that didn't make any sense at all) anyway, I think I have the hang of it.

In the starbase, I am inundated with functions with no rhyme or reason. Corp hangar, personal hangar, agents.. do I talk to them with eve-mail, oh there is an "agents" folder in this window. Nope, Ok, I pay 2,100 ISK to talk to them. Nothing? Never mind. These buttons over here. I have the option to refine what I have mined, no, not accepted? Too little? Why? What? Ok sell? Never mind. Let's look at the market... What can I buy? Is this important? How do these parts relate to my ship? Ok never mind, Lets try this later.

Ok, I'm going head to Merch. I might be a little more at home with PA types and an established corp so I can learn the ropes. What kind of trade routes did you guys have? You guys need me to haul anything anywhere? .... Where are you guys? Looks like they pretty much are doing the pew-pew 23 jumps away.

I am given about 6mil in ISK. I'm grateful I have capital. Let's buy a nice hauling ship with lots of cargo, maybe an engine upgrade.

Never mind. I can't actually enter the ship. I buy/sell blowing my 6 mill until I find out I can get a ship that is just an incremental upgrade from the other one I own. Well Kind of. It mounts funny my auto-reapar thing doesn't work anymore. Why must I pack my old ship to sell it? What does that mean? Oh, never mind. I can't sell it. More inventory of mine littered across the galaxy.

I fly about. I learn that the worlds are just scenery, there is no real trade economy. Blowing through the planets at warp just reinforces that they are not really there. Mining is dull and not rewarding. Ratting (killing NPCs for bounty profit) is an automatic affair. Click-click-click-wait...salvage. That too isn't very rewarding either. The core worlds offer nothing.

This game simply is not any fun. :(

I killed my characters I made, I wishI could give back the 16 mil in ISK that the merch guys gave me, but you can't transfer cash between accounts outbound on a limited account.

All in all I'm pretty disappointed. I really wanted to like it, but it just sucked all the fun and life out a game genre I adore.

tl;dr

It's not for me.

Must suck.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What I don't get is why do I love the genre so much, but this seems so bad. I just don't get it.

It's not bad. You just don't like it.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I fly about. I learn that the worlds are just scenery, there is no real trade economy.

This however is not true. If there's one thing EVE does right that doesn't involve blowing up someone elses shit, it's the economy. It's almost entirely player run.

I'm sorry I should of elaborated. There was no inter-planetary (NPC) economy. As to say there was no GNP coming from the worlds themselves, which has always been a staple in these type of games.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    To address the lack of cockpit... what cockpit?

From what I remember in the tutorial, the pilots sit in a pod submerged in fluid and connected to the ship. Would be a pretty bland cockpit view :P

Comahawk on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    its because it isnt necessary, the beauty of eve is that everything is done by players, which means it blows to be new because you gotta claw and scratch your way up to the top,but when you get there, oh god is it fun.

btw if anyone wants to buy my character let me know via pm >.>

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

This however is not true. If there's one thing EVE does right that doesn't involve blowing up someone elses shit, it's the economy. It's almost entirely player run.

I'm sorry I should of elaborated. There was no inter-planetary (NPC) economy. As to say there was no GNP coming from the worlds themselves, which has always been a staple in these type of games.

See, I think the problem is, its not of one those types of games. NPC's do nothing really, unless you run missions. The closest thing to have to interplanetary econmy is trading what one system sells low, and another buys high. You can also do that with player markets. As in, someone in region A is selling Ray Gun 1 for 3mil, but in region B it sells for 6.

Eve is really a game/genera to istself

ronzo on
  • Options
    WildSpoonWildSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aight you can remove "WildSpoon" from the corp i remade a guy cuz i screwed things up. new char is called "TaKhard Kratheer" (minmatar) ill try to re-apply at a base soon and will also explain how hes my new char in the corp app.

Thanks.

WildSpoon on
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

PSN ID - WildSpoon
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The cockpit view is not necessary because even the smallest ship class in the game (frigate) is basically a ship manned by multiple people, not a one-man snubfighter. You are not dogfighting, you are doing what naval vessels in Star Wars do, get into your optimal range and concentrate fire while trying to avoid enemy fire.

When I realized that in my first week playing, I had a lot more fun with it.

Though I really wish there was a new Freespace-style game coming out, the genre is almost completely dead now.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also what is with people and wanting a cockpit? Space-FPS's have done away with it since like forever and frankly good riddance. While it's not terribly realistic I feel it's adequate compensation for the fact that you can't move your head around in side the cockpit to see out very easily.

Speaking of, do HMD's not cost a fuckton yet?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Also what is with people and wanting a cockpit? Space-FPS's have done away with it since like forever and frankly good riddance. While it's not terribly realistic I feel it's adequate compensation for the fact that you can't move your head around in side the cockpit to see out very easily.

Actually, it's probably more realistic. The realities of intergalactic space travel and combat would render a conventional cockpit view wholly inappropriate. It'd be more like piloting a submarine than a spitfire. A submarine traveling so fast that a normal pilot would be incapable of calculating and correcting course by hand, engaged in combat where the velocities and trajectories are so extreme that only super-fast computers would be competent enough to handle targeting and evasion.

A brain hardwired into the ships controls might be one 'realistic' means of people actually being able to deal with this scenario where what they 'see' is actually just an abstract of the situation. Think of Ian M. Banks' Culture novels or Enders' Game or Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series where space combat is dealt with in simulation or over distances measured in lightyears and in speeds measured similarly.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    volluspavolluspa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    its because it isnt necessary, the beauty of eve is that everything is done by players, which means it blows to be new because you gotta claw and scratch your way up to the top,but when you get there, oh god is it fun.

btw if anyone wants to buy my character let me know via pm >.>

your character blows anyways. pfft. industry skills O_o

volluspa on
This discussion has been closed.