As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

5 Free Blu-Ray movies when you get a Player

MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
So, anyone think this might help the PS3 a bit?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=280

It might be grasping at straws or it might be a great way to not only beat the competition but also boost the PS3. Personally I hope it works. I also hope it lasts until I have the money for my new TV and ps3 ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monkeydrye on

• Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Format wars suck, I just want someone to hurry up and win so I can buy one or the other.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not sure what sucks about getting 5 free movies, although I suspect this is more so they can say that "Blu-Ray discs in homes now outnumber HD-DVD 5:1" I should really try and get in on this bribary.

edit: Bit sad that there isn't even 5 good movies to choose from, and they force you to pick from categories. Still better than nothing.

Rook on
  • Options
    Sinister CheshireSinister Cheshire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    So, anyone think this might help the PS3 a bit?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=280

It might be grasping at straws or it might be a great way to not only beat the competition but also boost the PS3. Personally I hope it works. I also hope it lasts until I have the money for my new TV and ps3 ;)

well its a nice try. But I don't care how many movies they give away. PS3 it too expensive, the games arent that great, so its not worth it.

Then they say in the article ( I cant make the quote thing work here since I dont have a name..but ..)

"But wait, there's more! If you decide you would like to purchase a PS3, Sony is offering a special deal through their retail Sony Style stores. Purchase a PS3, two games, and an extra controller from now until July 8th, and you will receive a $50 gift card."

thats really funny...first I have to find a reason to buy the PS3...then i have to find 2 games which makes the $600 worth while, ~$720 total now (without tax), and a controler? so...in all I'll have to spend around $800 plus just to get a $50 gift card?

I got a free controller when I bought my xbox 360 without a game.. >_>

nice try sony. almost had me going there ::phew::

Sinister Cheshire on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think the intent is not to get gamers to get a PS3, but HD folks. Yes the PS3 is expensive as a game system. But not as a HD player.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Not sure what sucks about getting 5 free movies, although I suspect this is more so they can say that "Blu-Ray discs in homes now outnumber HD-DVD 5:1" I should really try and get in on this bribary.

edit: Bit sad that there isn't even 5 good movies to choose from, and they force you to pick from categories. Still better than nothing.

Im not saying this deal sucks, Im saying format wars suck (Blu-ray vs. HDDVD) and frankly I could care less who wins, I just want a winner.....getting stuck with a dead player (read:betamax) would be a drag. Once there is a clear winner, Ill buy one.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Format wars suck, I just want someone to hurry up and win so I can buy one or the other.

Fuck that. I'm not rebuying the DVDs I just got done buying. Maybe when the NEXT new format comes around.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Fuck that. I'm not rebuying the DVDs I just got done buying. Maybe when the NEXT new format comes around.

Don't re-buy anything. HD players play your DVD's too. This isn't the same as going to VHS to DVD.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

"Guess I'll have to buy the white album again"

Not sure how it would be done, but I wish companies would realize that format wars benefit noone and they should get a standard before anything goes to the public.
    It's been how long and we still don't have a single form of writable DVD? I still have to choose between - or + or RAM?

But anyway, until my TV breaks, I won't go HD unless I win something for free.
    Until I have a HD TV, I won't be buying a HDef player and even that is conditional upon the end of the format war.

So I guess I'm looking at another few years before I have to get anything, so prices should be good and won't have to worry about this BS war.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The step up in visual quality from DVD to HD is nowhere near enough to justify the price, let alone rebuying all my old DVDs.

My DVD collection is in the hundreds and I want it to last another 5-6 years at the least.

HDDVD is just not needed yet.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Don't re-buy anything. HD players play your DVD's too. This isn't the same as going to VHS to DVD.

Yeah. I've made a point of not buying a lot of movies on DVD the last few years, knowing this was coming. Pretty much the only stuff I buy are comedies and such that aren't all that important to have in HD anyway.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This won't really help the PS3, since there are already Blu-Ray players cheaper than it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    HD-DVD has been offering 5 free DVDs with the purchase of a player for a while now.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    This won't really help the PS3, since there are already Blu-Ray players cheaper than it.

Have they dropped that fast already?

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Giving away 5 movies seems to be an act of desperation and shows you how poorly this "war" is going all around.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Have they dropped that fast already?

Yep. A couple months ago one dipped below $500.

I'm guessing it's less a matter of dropping manufacturing costs and more a matter of each side desperately wanting to beat the other, not to mention to get the general public to give a shit about next-gen DVDs.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Few interesting tidbits from the scan:

-This is a mail-in offer with a eight to ten week expected delivery time.
    -Only works with 9 select players
    -Store you purchase the player from must be in the same state as you live in.
    -Will not work with players you buy online
    -receipt must be dated between July 1st 07- Sep 30th 07. Postmarked by Oct 07.
    -Must send in the UPC code and receipt. This will most likely make it near impossible to return the player if you need to.
    - The movies you can pick are put into categories. You can only pick one from each category.
    1. The Guardian, Pearl Harbor, Invincible, Chicken Little
    2. Corpse Bride, Phantom of the Opera, Blazing Saddles
    3. Stealth. Resident Evil 2, Underworld Evolution, Stir of Echoes
    4. The Italian Job, Black Rain, Babel, Devil's Rejects
    5. Kiss of the Dragon, The Omen, The Transporter 2, Species, Hart's War, The Last Waltz

Sanders on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Until I read the list of movies available this deal was slightly tempting me to get a PS3. I've got the HD DVD player for the 360 and am becoming a whore for HD quality movies. :(
    This is a great move from the BDA to really put the pressure on on HD-DUD. Hey HD-DUD did this to themselves am not hating on the BDA for them trying to play their game. Hopefully this will be the nail in the coffin and push those people that were on the fence to come over to the Blu side. :D

Wow, peopel really care that much about HD vs Blu-Ray...how sad.

Accualt on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's not that surprising. If you can find debates on green vs yellow bananas, then Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD seems minor.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like slightly green bananas.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The only movie on that list that I'd buy is Babel.

Speaking of which, I need to buy Babel.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is a great move from the BDA to really put the pressure on on HD-DUD. Hey HD-DUD did this to themselves am not hating on the BDA for them trying to play their game. Hopefully this will be the nail in the coffin and push those people that were on the fence to come over to the Blu side. :D

Yeah, what a dipshit.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Darn, I just bought my PS3 last week. If I had known about these deals, I probably would have got it this week. I mean, I don't have an HDTV yet or anything, but the movies are free, so... oh well. I, personally, don't have to really worry at all about rebuying DVDs for this new format. I rarely bought DVDs to begin with. 99% of my DVDs are music DVDs.

And, yeah, arguing about the formats is pretty silly. Personally, I'm pushing for Blu-Ray to win, as I have a PS3, and that'd mean I'd already be good.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Didn't Blockbuster come out and say they woulden't be carrying any HD DVDs but will be carrying Blue Ray? That is a pretty big win for blue ray.

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Blu-ray getting Disney to re-release movies in their format is pretty big. I mean, I don't know if I can live without an HD version of Pirates of the Caribbean ;)

What I'm most curious about is Lord of the Rings. I haven't heard any news on what their HD plans are, but I bet that's going to be huge.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    New Line said LOTR was set for HD-DVD last time I heard. The Potter movies are also set for HD-DVD.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    TheAxeMasterTheAxeMaster Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    HD is still a luxury item and will be for probably a couple more years at least. I saw some hybrid discs for sale the other day that were both HD DVD and DVD on the same disc and thought that was sweet, I could buy the disc now and the player later. Except that HD DVD could still die a horrible death, leaving me with overpriced DVDs and a really expensive player that I can't get discs for.

TheAxeMaster on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Personally, I don't like the combo DVD/HD-DVDs. They wouldn't bug me if they gave me an HD-DVD only option, but since they don't it's just like paying $5-$10 more for the movie than I should have to.

Edit: Do we have an ETA on the Braveheart HD-DVD or the LOTR HD movies?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Buy a PS3 and get free Blazing Saddles Blu-Ray? I'm in.

Anyone know what format Star Wars will be on?

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They did this self same offer a lot back in the day of DVD and Divx.

A lot.

The thing that really sparked DVD sales were the sub $150 players.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can Blu-Ray players play DVDs? Because I couldn't see me rebuying DVDs, but I could see me buying all future movies in an HD format.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Working in a home theater department, I completely understand the whole varying widescreen aspects, but I still hate it. If i have a top of the line plasma and get a Blu-Ray or HDDVD player to watch LOTR, I will still get the black bars on the top and bottom because of the aspect ratio peter jackson chose to shoot the films in. I would love it if for once everyone decided on one solid widescreen format without the bars so that I can get the most out of my television.

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Can Blu-Ray players play DVDs? Because I couldn't see me rebuying DVDs, but I could see me buying all future movies in an HD format.

Yeah, and they upconvert them too.

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    SpaceGhost wrote: »

Yeah, and they upconvert them too.

How about HD-DVD?
    Working in a home theater department, I completely understand the whole varying widescreen aspects, but I still hate it. If i have a top of the line plasma and get a Blu-Ray or HDDVD player to watch LOTR, I will still get the black bars on the top and bottom because of the aspect ratio peter jackson chose to shoot the films in. I would love it if for once everyone decided on one solid widescreen format without the bars so that I can get the most out of my television.

This amazes me as well. This seems like one of the first things they'd standardize - what the fuck widescreen is, and what resolution and aspect ratio it should be in.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    HD-DVD upconverts as well, I should have said that.

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    HD-DVD upconverts as well, I should have said that.

Badass. Then I couldn't care less which one wins.

I'd hope HD-DVD wins just because I think it sounds better than Blu-Ray, but so long as they're both in HD, and they both play music, I honestly couldn't care enough for it to matter.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    If I had to guess, I would think that BluRay is gonna win out for three reasons.

1. Blockbuster supports it. For geeks like us, not a big deal, but a lot of the less informed still rent from brick and mortar stores.

2. PS3 and Disney both use it. Kids movies in HD? Basically only on BluRay. Plus the PS3 expands the user base that much more.

3. It's more expensive. I know this sounds dumb, but for a lot of customers I have, usually more than one a day they will ask for Sony regardless of what kind of TV it is, because it is expensive and has brand recognition. For most people, expensive means quality.

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isn't Blu-Ray pretty much thrashing HD-DVD right now?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    If I had to guess, I would think that BluRay is gonna win out for three reasons.

1. Blockbuster supports it. For geeks like us, not a big deal, but a lot of the less informed still rent from brick and mortar stores.

2. PS3 and Disney both use it. Kids movies in HD? Basically only on BluRay. Plus the PS3 expands the user base that much more.

3. It's more expensive. I know this sounds dumb, but for a lot of customers I have, usually more than one a day they will ask for Sony regardless of what kind of TV it is, because it is expensive and has brand recognition. For most people, expensive means quality.

I work at blockbuster. I have 4 or 5 people a day ask me if we carry blu-ray. I haven't heard anyone mention HD-DVD since I've started working there.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I work at blockbuster. I have 4 or 5 people a day ask me if we carry blu-ray. I haven't heard anyone mention HD-DVD since I've started working there.

Right... that's pretty much exactly what he said.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Most of those movies are meh.

I wonder why BDA is even doing this, they're winning, I guess it's just an answer to HD-DVD's free5 offer...

variant on