As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

5 Free Blu-Ray movies when you get a Player

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's a shitty selection right there.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SpaceGhost wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I would think that BluRay is gonna win out for three reasons.

1. Blockbuster supports it. For geeks like us, not a big deal, but a lot of the less informed still rent from brick and mortar stores.

2. PS3 and Disney both use it. Kids movies in HD? Basically only on BluRay. Plus the PS3 expands the user base that much more.

3. It's more expensive. I know this sounds dumb, but for a lot of customers I have, usually more than one a day they will ask for Sony regardless of what kind of TV it is, because it is expensive and has brand recognition. For most people, expensive means quality.

I don't know about you guys, but do we really need to see Disney movies in HD? What do we gain here? Does Abu really need the extra resolution?

Granted for future movies just having selection will help sales in some way, and the way Disney likes to pack a disc with a billion extra features the extra space on BD or HD will be nice for them, but it just seems silly. :)

Dublo7 wrote: »
    That's a shitty selection right there.

Pretty much. Even if I was in the market for a player this wouldn't entice me at all. There's 2 movies on that list I would be remotely interested in. The other 3 would be a waste and I would rather just be able to select from the already limited selection at the store whatever I want.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think, internally, they are on a time table where they can't wait the 5 years for the formats to take hold, like with DVDs, because of discless formats. There is only a small window where digital downloads of HD content is not entirely feasible, and when it is, that will effectively end this format war. Probably ages before it even picks up completely. They've thrown it into fast forward in order to compensate.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I would think that BluRay is gonna win out for three reasons.

1. Blockbuster supports it. For geeks like us, not a big deal, but a lot of the less informed still rent from brick and mortar stores.

2. PS3 and Disney both use it. Kids movies in HD? Basically only on BluRay. Plus the PS3 expands the user base that much more.

3. It's more expensive. I know this sounds dumb, but for a lot of customers I have, usually more than one a day they will ask for Sony regardless of what kind of TV it is, because it is expensive and has brand recognition. For most people, expensive means quality.

I don't know about you guys, but do we really need to see Disney movies in HD? What do we gain here? Does Abu really need the extra resolution?

Granted for future movies just having selection will help sales in some way, and the way Disney likes to pack a disc with a billion extra features the extra space on BD or HD will be nice for them, but it just seems silly. :)

I thought the same way for a while about all the anime films that I have on DVD (Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh etc). And then I watched some high-def 720p content (Ergo Proxy). I really wouldn't have expected the jump to be that clear, but it's amazing how much more detailed things are than you're used to. So yeah, I'm sure Disney movies (especially the old hand animated stuff like Snow White) will in fact look 1000x better in HD than they do in their current forms.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    oh man, I have really been waiting to see Hart's War in HD. Daaaaamn.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Blu-ray getting Disney to re-release movies in their format is pretty big. I mean, I don't know if I can live without an HD version of Pirates of the Caribbean ;)

What I'm most curious about is Lord of the Rings. I haven't heard any news on what their HD plans are, but I bet that's going to be huge.

HD-DVD has them last I heard.

But that format really blows so much it hurts :(

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    HD-DVD upconverts as well, I should have said that.

Badass. Then I couldn't care less which one wins.

I'd hope HD-DVD wins just because I think it sounds better than Blu-Ray, but so long as they're both in HD, and they both play music, I honestly couldn't care enough for it to matter.

Just so you know, TSR, your 360 will upconvert DVDs already without having to buy the HD-DVD attachment. If all you want is an upconverting DVD player then you're already all set.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think Blu-ray getting Disney to re-release movies in their format is pretty big. I mean, I don't know if I can live without an HD version of Pirates of the Caribbean ;)

What I'm most curious about is Lord of the Rings. I haven't heard any news on what their HD plans are, but I bet that's going to be huge.

I guess that means BRD blows as well since both formats perform just about the same, even more so when put into a player.

emot-slowjerkgif.gif

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I thought the same way for a while about all the anime films that I have on DVD (Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh etc). And then I watched some high-def 720p content (Ergo Proxy). I really wouldn't have expected the jump to be that clear, but it's amazing how much more detailed things are than you're used to. So yeah, I'm sure Disney movies (especially the old hand animated stuff like Snow White) will in fact look 1000x better in HD than they do in their current forms.

Where did you find Ergo Proxy in HD?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I guess that means BRD blows as well since both formats perform just about the same, even more so when put into a player.

emot-slowjerkgif.gif

The only reason I don't like HD-DVD is that it has much less space to fit content on. Eventually we are going to need a next format to support HD content and I would rather more space on a single disc then just going for a slightly cheaper disc.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

emot-slowjerkgif.gif

The only reason I don't like HD-DVD is that it has much less space to fit content on. Eventually we are going to need a next format to support HD content and I would rather more space on a single disc then just going for a slightly cheaper disc.

It's going to be so awesome when we start seeing 20GB worth of audio commentaries on BRD.

But seriously, HD-DVD uses some pretty awesome codecs to compress movies without losing any visible visual quality. They're fitting The Return of the King on a single HD-DVD. At this point the increased disc capacity is just about worthless and more than likely will continue to be worthless in the future.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

emot-slowjerkgif.gif

It's going to be so awesome when we start seeing 20GB worth of audio commentaries on BRD.

But seriously, HD-DVD uses some pretty awesome codecs to compress movies without losing any visible visual quality. They're fitting The Return of the King on a single HD-DVD. At this point the increased disc capacity is just about worthless and more than likely will continue to be worthless in the future.

More space can always be used.

A TV series that can have a whole season fit on a single disc. Having extra features in HD can also be a big bonus. There are many things content providers can do with the extra space. HD-DVD doesn't have that kind of freedom. Look at the Matrix HD-DVD collection, to fool the public into thinking that they could fit all that information on there discs they told people they fit 10 DVDs of the original Matrix collection set on 5 HD-DVDs. They did fit them on 5, dual sided discs though.

I think that it is still way to early for people to buy HD products, most of the industry does not support HD content because it is simply harder to produce right now. However starting a new format now is not a bad thing, it will make the products cheaper when regular people go to buy them. What sucks is that certain companies go out of there way to axe the consumer and hold the industry at a stand still because there believers in downloadable content rather then optical media.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

emot-slowjerkgif.gif

A TV series that can have a whole season fit on a single disc. Having extra features in HD can also be a big bonus. There are many things content providers can do with the extra space. HD-DVD doesn't have that kind of freedom. Look at the Matrix HD-DVD collection, to fool the public into thinking that they could fit all that information on there discs they told people they fit 10 DVDs of the original Matrix collection set on 5 HD-DVDs. They did fit them on 5, dual sided discs though.

Like I said, enjoy your 20gb of audio commentaries.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think this whole "it's either coming to HD or BR only" is absolutely ridiculous. It's not a fucking console war.
    I hope one of them fails hard and crashes into the dirt.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I think this whole "it's either coming to HD or BR only" is absolutely ridiculous. It's not a fucking console war.
    I hope one of them fails hard and crashes into the dirt.

It's not a console war, it's a format war. :P

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

emot-slowjerkgif.gif

I think that it is still way to early for people to buy HD products, most of the industry does not support HD content because it is simply harder to produce right now. However starting a new format now is not a bad thing, it will make the products cheaper when regular people go to buy them. What sucks is that certain companies go out of there way to axe the consumer and hold the industry at a stand still because there believers in downloadable content rather then optical media.

Sorry, but a potential for a 17 gig difference between dual layer HD-DVD discs and dual layer Blu Ray discs does not, in any way, validate your comment that the HD-DVD format blows. Currently, they do exactly the same thing. That additional space you're referring to is completely useless as it stands. So to say the HD-DVD format "blows" based on one difference between the two formats which doesn't actually signify any current difference in either quality or utility just shoots your entire argument to smithereens.

Right now, the two formats are exactly the same.

And for those of you expecting 200 gig blu ray discs? Uhh, sure. I'm sure sextuple layer discs and players will become the norm some day.

(Just kidding. I think that's pretty stupid, really.)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited June 2007

emot-slowjerkgif.gif

Like I said, enjoy your 20gb of audio commentaries.

it's not just audio commentaries, shit here are some of the things my co-workers thought would be good having extra space.

-Extended cut of the movie on the same disc.
    -Alternate scenes and extended scenes of dialog.
    -Video in video scene by scene story board view.
    -Video in video roundtables with the cast and crew.
    -More interactive menu environment.
    -Higher quality multiple language tracks retaining the original 5.1 aspect of the audio.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Okay, and when studios start doing that, you'll have an argument. Potential is not enough to say that one format "blows," sorry.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    it's not just audio commentaries, shit here are some of the things my co-workers thought would be good having extra space.

-Higher quality multiple language tracks retaining the original 5.1 aspect of the audio.

You mean things that could have been offered on DVD but never were yet didn't seem to hurt the format one bit?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DVD can offer us that kind of content and you know what, allot of my fucking DVDs do. But none of that movie footage is in HD or higher quality audio. I am just saying that having space can and will be used for additional content.

Video in video and multiple audio tracks retaining 5.1 can not be done on current DVDs because of space limitations.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DVD can offer us that kind of content and you know what, allot of my fucking DVDs do. But none of that movie footage is in HD or higher quality audio. I am just saying that having space can and will be used for additional content.

Video in video and multiple audio tracks retaining 5.1 can not be done on current DVDs because of space limitations.

Video in video has already been implemented in at least HD-DVDs. You know, the format you keep blasting because of space limitations? If you weren't so uninformed I'd say you were a troll.

Edit: And you know what? Looking at some of my movies, multiple 5.1 audio tracks are already implemented as well. 5.1 is a joke to HD formats. Lossless audio is now where it's at. Try to keep up.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'd still like to hear your justification for the comment (paraphrased) "the HD-DVD format blows so much it hurts."

Currently, the two formats are identical. The audio and video quality offered by each is identical. Blu Ray is not decimating HD-DVD in the number of available extras. They offer the same things, albeit with different content libraries.

So, either both "blow" or both don't. I could understand the argument suggesting that HD-DVD has less potential (an argument I would still refute), because of less potential space per disc, but considering that this supposed limitation hasn't actually affected anything, and that the two formats are identical, I would absolutely love to hear you defend that comment, Vicious_GSR.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Video in video has already been implemented in at least HD-DVDs. You know, the format you keep blasting because of space limitations? If you weren't so uninformed I'd say you were a troll.

As long as a lower format HD media exists companies have to create content with the lowest in mind. You can find features like video in video on HD-DVD but they will not be able to fit as much content as they could on a Blu-Ray disc. I am not being a god damn troll don't try and use that as an excuse to make me seem invalid.

Responding to Drez:
    Having two formats sucks, it limits people like me from deliverying content to a wider audience. So when you have the option to fit content on a larger format generally content producers will shift to it. HD-DVD holds back people like me because we have to think with HD-DVD in mind and limit the size of what we do.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am not being a god damn troll don't try and use that as an excuse to make me seem invalid.

I really don't need to.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

As long as a lower format HD media exists companies have to create content with the lowest in mind. You can find features like video in video on HD-DVD but they will not be able to fit as much content as they could on a Blu-Ray disc. I am not being a god damn troll don't try and use that as an excuse to make me seem invalid.

Are you illiterate? He said you're not a troll, you're just too goddamn stupid to effectively argue your position, and that you are uninformed.

And considering that Blu Ray and HD-DVD have fairly different libraries, why exactly would Blu Ray content providers have to cater to this "lowest common denominator"? The amount of overlap between HD-DVD and Blu Ray is relatively small.

Drez on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All I know is that Toshiba has some damn good prices on their HD-DVD players... and price, at this point, is most important to me.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    All I know is that Toshiba has some damn good prices on their HD-DVD players... and price, at this point, is most important to me.

HD-DVD players have been leading the pack in regards to prices beginning with the 360 add-on and now with players in the sub $300 range. Blu-Ray players are just now getting below the $500 mark. The first format to get a fully featured stand-alone player in stores for under $200 will gain a huge advantage over the other.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

... on the internets (I'm a bad person)

You mean things that could have been offered on DVD but never were yet didn't seem to hurt the format one bit?

What's actually pretty funny is that Video in video scenes on Blu-Ray until recently (unlike HD-DVD) couldn't be done as they hadn't finalised the BD-Java until version 1.1. So to get this feature to work on the blu-ray disc of The Descent and Crank, they just included another copy of the film with the PiP.

Either way, a copy of an HD film doesn't really take up a single layer of an HD-DVD, you'll have to be adding a *lot* of extra content before you need to hit that second disc. And I think space is just generally a bit of a bum arguement because of the impact of "2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION" that marketing departments will want to shove down your throat.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Rook wrote: »

... on the internets (I'm a bad person)

Heh, I was going to say...

How does it look compared to the 480p version on an HDTV? Series like Ergo Proxy and GitS already look vibrant enough and offer anamorphic widescreen. I really don't see how they would benefit from the HD res bump. I mean, it's anime. How detailed can it look?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Is Ergo Proxy GOOD? It seemed interesting.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Drez wrote: »

I enjoy it, but probably for the wrong reasons.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Threads like this remind me why I'm happy to be a part of the majority of people out there in this 'debate,': Part of the "complete apathy" team.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What kind of world would allow The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Pirates of the Caribbean movies to be on "opposite" formats? I want to rebuy those movies. How the fuck am I supposed to choose now?--oh wait, I guess I won't. Good job at NOT letting me be a consumer whore there, industry people.

Welcome to a format war. It's not the first and certainly won't be the last.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Apathy, yes, I'd love to have that when it comes to technology, but the people that suggest there is no significant visual difference between standard definition and high definition video content are factually wrong and possibly seriously blind. Or maybe they are just lying ala The Fox and the Sour Grapes. I don't know. But there's a big difference between watching stuff on a squarish 480i TV and 1080p in widescreen.

Drez on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Threads like this remind me why I'm happy to be a part of the majority of people out there in this 'debate,': Part of the "complete apathy" team.

Yes. This is the next gen CD fight all over again, only with more marketing.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Apathy, yes, I'd love to have that when it comes to technology, but the people that suggest there is no significant visual difference between standard definition and high definition video content are factually wrong and possibly seriously blind. Or maybe they are just lying ala The Fox and the Sour Grapes. I don't know. But there's a big difference between watching stuff on a squarish 480i TV and 1080p in widescreen.

No, the difference for the majority of the world's population, without a HDTV, is absolutely nothing.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2007

No, the difference for the majority of the world's population, without a HDTV, is absolutely nothing.

Uh, what? Your comment makes no sense. I don't care that the majority of the world doesn't have HDTV, or that some people errantly convince themselves that there is no significant visual improvement between SD and HD content.

There IS a significant difference even if only one person owns an HDTV and high def content. The popularity of HDTVs has nothing to do with this at all. It's pretty fucking silly when people try to argue that HD content "isn't really very impressive" or something along those lines. Anyone that does is either blind or a liar.

Drez on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am not being a god damn troll don't try and use that as an excuse to make me seem invalid.

I really don't need to.

You know, Atlus, I positively hate when people do things like this. You're both arguing and discussing this - in a heated, yet rational manner. For you to play the "troll" card... just knock that shit off.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I enjoy it, but probably for the wrong reasons.

I didn't like the opening that much, seemed very confusing and not much was happening, slowly got into it, and then started to really enjoy the middle but the ending is typical animé mumbo-jumbo shit.

And here's some comparisons of the Ergo Proxy rips. I don't have the same episodes in HD and standard so there's an identicle opening shot screen and then a random screen. Of course there's the standard disclaimers of encode quality and the fact that PCs are legendarily bad at upscaling.
    ergoproxy3480.jpg
    ergoproxy3720.jpg

ergoproxyscreen2480.jpg
    ergoproxyscreen2720.jpg

Generally the 720 screens are really sharp, and there's usually bits of subtle background detail such as text on computer screens etc that readable instead of a blur. It really does make a huge difference when you're watching an episode.

I've got some comparisons with my GitS DVD and a 720p TV rip I found that I could post but I'm a bit worried about fucking up everyone's bandwidth. Short story is that yes, even with animated stuff there's a massive difference in quality just between 480 and 720. I'm still kinda in the wait and see market for a HD player. My local blockbuster now rents Blu-Ray discs which might push me in that direction as the actual cost of HD discs is horrendous, but HD-DVD is currently getting all the titles I would want to buy/watch.

Rook on